5.0 out of 5 stars A correction for everyone.
Great reviews but I have to let everyone in on something, he is not a dog, bear or lion. I hope I don't ruin your childhood memories.
Spot is a leopard that can change his spots.

Robert M. Lopshire
Published on September 11, 2006 by Robert L.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy original hardcover copy for over twice the story . . .
Many board books this size are a great deal for little toddler hands. Our 2.5 year old was smitten with the size and content of these books when she was one. At first it was really used for a toy (some oral investigation involved), but they have remained her favorites in her continually expanding library.

We give this one particular title 3 out of 5 stars,...
Published on January 22, 2012 by Me Opinion

5.0 out of 5 stars A correction for everyone., September 11, 2006
Robert L. (Frenchtown, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Put Me in the Zoo (I can read it all by myself' Beginner Books) (Hardcover)
Spot is a leopard that can change his spots.

Robert M. Lopshire

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun and More Fun!, December 17, 2004
If you want a book that will guarantee a smile on your little ones face, this is the one.

We have a silly spotted animal who insists the he should be put in a zoo because look at all he can do, but they won't take him.

Told in rhyme, he explains to a little boy and girl all the wonderful things he can do. Why he can change the colors of his spots, and so your child learns several colors.

He can make them big, small or place them on the boy for sure.

Surely he should be in the zoo, but the children lead him to just the right place to be.

What a fun read, colorful, entertaining and a learning tool as well.This is one happy book and you and your child will truly enjoy sharing. Highly recommended.

Shirley Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Put Me in the Zoo, October 24, 2002
Kati Lane (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
"Put Me in the Zoo," is a fantastic story about an animal with spots. This goofy looking animal wants to live in the zoo because it is such a wonderful place, but the zookeepers don't want him in the zoo and so they kick him out. Then he begins to talk to two little children who ask, "Why should they put you in the zoo? What good are you? What can you do?" He then shows them the many amazing tricks he can do with his spots. His spots change colors, size and shape. The children are amazed but tell him that he doesn't belong in the zoo, but somewhere else. To find out where that somewhere is then you'll have to read this wonderful, rhyming poem, put onto the pages of a book.
I would recommend adults read this story to their children or children read it for themselves. It is probably best for kids from ages 3-9. Though, adults would probably enjoy this book too. It is highly inspiring and about finding what is special about you. It has tons of funny stuff that will entertain your kids until the book ends. I highly recommend that you buy this for your children or rent it from the library. It is one of my favorites from when I was young, and I'm almost positive that after your child has read it, it will be one of their favorites too!!

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but is that orange?, October 4, 2005
let me start by saying, I love this book. Even more importantly, my 2 year old daughter loves this book. I still remember when i was a child, I loved the page where our spotted protagnoist morphed his spots into all different colors. I just loved that page! Anyway, the book reads easily for adults, and sounds and looks good for kids. It's a nice story. But I believe there are some color issues -

First - What's with the orange spots? They are not orange, they are red scribble on yellow fur. Don't they have orange ink? It does not look orange to me! This confuses my daughter when I say orange - she looks at me like i'm nuts and says no, "red"! and I see her point! - I hope newer editions can fix this.

Second - Violet? What 2 year old says violet? Again, I am corrected whenever the violet spots appear - because they are purple. Then I have to explain that violet is another word for purple, which interupts the flow of the story, and I feel like I have to justify myself every time for my 2 year old!

As I said - great book, great story, great pics, nice rhythm, - but if we could do a revision - please give us real orange, and the word purple too!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Book as a Child & My Favorite to Read to My Kids, October 5, 1999
By A Customer
This book was one of my favorite books as a child. It doesn't matter that the critter doesn't have a name or that you don't know what kind of animal it is. It tells you that there is something special about this animal, more special than he even thinks. It is also a great book to help children use their imaginations - what other things could this "dog" possibly do and what makes you special.
I read this book to my children whenever I get the chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A huge hit with my 3-year old twin girls, September 10, 1999
By A Customer
Wonderful story filled with simple yet elegant rhymes. Great educational opportunity as my girls learnt colors, shapes, and sizes. After just a few readings, they were finishing the sentences for me with "red!", "yellow!", "violet!", "blue!", "tall!", "small!", "ball!", "wall!" ... one of their most requested night-time story books now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Hardcover if you wnat the whole story!, July 9, 2011
This book is a classic that I remember from my childhood and my 3 year old loves. I actually have my mother's copy of this book as well. Three generations have loved this book. I fell into the trap that many parents did and bought a ton a the Dr. Suess series of books in boardbook form before my son was born, only to realize that the stories are abridged and not as good as the original. The board books were a great introduction for him as an infant, short reads and sturdy. And many authors offer the whole book in boardbook form. But with the Dr. Suess Bright and Early series of books I had to buy all the books again in hardcover form so he would have the whole story as a toddler. If I had known this I would have just purchased a few board books, and started collecting the hardcover versions much sooner!

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy original hardcover copy for over twice the story . . ., January 22, 2012

We give this one particular title 3 out of 5 stars, because the original has SO much more content (61 pages versus the 24 pages in the board book version). Whereas many of the other board books provide more content: for example, Dr. Seuss's ABCs, Ten Apples Up on Top, Go Dog Go and Bernstein Bears He Bear She Bear).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and entertaining child's book, August 3, 1998
By A Customer
This is an excellent little book for children. It is, in the Dr. Seuss tradition, easy to read with clever pictures. The child get's to see why the star of the book wants to be in the zoo and at the end they get to help him in an unexpected way. As he shows off his skills with his "spots" they learn the difference in colors, big & little, etc. Top notch child's book, a favorite at our house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended and there is absolutely nothing objectionable about the book (so rare nowadays), May 30, 2007
This is a delightful book that serves many purposes.

First, for toddlers, this is a wonderful book for teaching primary colors (blue, green orange violet) and simple word ("zoo" "too" "you" "spots" "small" "tall" "wall", etc.).

Second, the rhyming scheme is simple, direct, and scans correctly. Unlike "Dr. Suess" books there are no made-up nonsense words here. This is Standard Written English through and through.

The story is accessible, and has a "magical realism" element to it, so beloved of imaginative youngsters.

The drawings are wonderful, simple, direct, with just enough detail to engage the eye but not so much it overwhelms or over stimulates as the story unfolds. The text and drawing match perfectly (this is important for children learning reading of symbol systems from visual clues).

But best of all, this story is simple enough that your older children will soon adopt it to read to your younger children. This is a crowd pleaser and a heartwarming selection for family story time. The first time your oldest reads it to your youngest is guaranteed to make your heart soar with praise and thanksgiving for His wonderful blessings of family life.

Highly recommended and there is absolutely nothing objectionable about the book (so rare nowadays).

Put Me in the Zoo  (I can read it all by myself' Beginner Books)
Put Me in the Zoo (I can read it all by myself' Beginner Books) by Robert Lopshire (Hardcover - August 12, 1960)
$8.99 $8.89