5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, August 6, 1999
This review is from: Putumayo Presents Kotoja The Super Sawale Collection (Audio CD)
This CD is so much fun it's unbelievable. It makes me happy and energetic every time I put it on. Plus I saw them in person in Oakland and it was just as good. Do yourself a favor and get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Intoxicating, DANCEABLE, March 19, 2002
Dolly (Kansas City MO) - See all my reviews
Kicking horns, lively beats, syncopation...
This music is intoxicating... I have been listening to it for years and I can listen to it daily and it always sound lively.
Gets me moving when I need to move. Takes me up if I feel low.
And you can DANCE to the whole thing!!!
EVERY person I have introduced to this music enjoyed it... most turned around and bought their own CD's!!! Even my stodgy brother, a professor of music who listens for mistakes at concerts enjoyed THIS group.
BUY IT! I can't imagine you regretting!

5.0 out of 5 stars They inspired Putumayo World Music, September 7, 2006
Read ANY history of Putumayo World Music,and it was Dan Storper's "eureka!" moment listening to Kotoja sing in Golden Gate Park that inspired him to start his world music label.No longer would he play heavy metal&punk rock in his imports stores.Kotoja was the group that had the sound he was looking for.

Kotoja is still performing;sadly,this album is out of print,and their albums are not readily available.They are great singers,bringing together African&Western sensibilities.

The highlights on this album are "Atide","Vami Duwe","Oberi,Oberi" (a beautiful lullaby),"Stay on me","Sawale","Come back home" and "Money wahala" (the lyrics go "Money wahala,money trouble.")The songs are catchy and spirited.This is a must for any Afropop fan;sadly,this album is no longer in print.

5.0 out of 5 stars People keep asking me about this CD!, October 19, 1998
By A Customer
I have this CD on at work, and people are always asking about it. Kotoja has really put together a great mix of music and musical styles. They have other CDs that I like (all with a similar good-feel groove). Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars "If this music doesn't make you feel good, you're probably dead", January 30, 2007
So true! This CD **is** Putumayo to the core. Happy music, danceable music, energic, joyful, full of life, international...and...it will teach you something new every time you listen to it. Get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music that makes you feel happy., July 13, 1998
By A Customer
This is a great CD. Jazzy, Carribean and African rolled up with a smile, if you're not grooving to kotoja you're missing out.

5.0 out of 5 stars These guys are great! Buy this CD!, February 27, 2010
I'd never heard of this group until I happened to hear them perform at a conference. They are fantastic and a lot of fun to listen to, highly recommended if you like world music!

Rate and Discover Movies