4.0 out of 5 stars Would it have killed them to give us an extra 2 inches???
Published on September 12, 2012 by H. Erickson-Sander

2.0 out of 5 stars Puzzle pieces slide
Published on August 14, 2011 by RabbitHill

4.0 out of 5 stars Would it have killed them to give us an extra 2 inches???, September 12, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Puzzle Storage for Up To 1000 Pieces (Toy)
I really like this puzzle saver, it's great in so many ways--it keeps puzzles in place, allows you to store them easily and keep pets (and toddlers) out of your puzzle. It's large, yes, but also very flat which makes it easy to store behind furniture, under beds, or against walls. It snaps shut in a very secure manner, and holds puzzle pieces in place. The board can be lifted out, and there are shallow spaces where you can store and sort pieces. It's great!

This puzzle saver should have 5 stars, but I just have one big complaint about it. It's two inches too short!! Most of my Milton Bradley and Ravensburger puzzles are Americana folk art and measure 22 x 25 inches. This puzzle saver only allows for 20 x 28 size puzzles. It's frustrating that it's just TWO INCHES too small. Very few of my standard size 1000 piece puzzles work with this puzzle saver. Bummer.

I still use it and like it very much. I just hope they release an updated version that fits more standard puzzles! TWO INCHES is nothing! I'd buy a bigger one in a heart beat.

So, my advice before you purchase this is to check out the average size of your puzzles--this may or may not be a good fit for you depending on that one aspect.

2.0 out of 5 stars Puzzle pieces slide, August 14, 2011
This review is from: Ravensburger Puzzle Store (Toy)
Ordered this puzzle keeper in order to be able to pack my puzzles-in-progress up when I am not working on them. The case concept is great; however, you must keep the case perfectly flat in order to keep your work in tact. This keeper will work for you if you intend to store it under a bed or another piece of furniture. If you turn the case up-right and hold it by the handle, the pieces of the case do not close tightly together enough to keep your puzzle from sliding around.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Alternative to Roll-Up Storage, September 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love puzzles, but don't have a place to just leave them out. I've long used the felt roll-up storage, but I thought this might be a neat alternative.

If I had stopped to think about it, I would have anticipated the size. It's definitely large! Just to give you a mental picture of size, you would need approximately double the amount of space that your average 1000 piece puzzle would take up. (However, it is not large enough for anything over 1000 pieces.)

I like the compartments for sorting, because I am a huge sorter! The compartments are of varying sizes, which is quite handy. I also like the fact that the puzzle surface is actually a thick, sturdy piece of cardboard that is removable. That allows a lot of flexibility, especially considering the size of the case. When the cardboard is placed over the compartments and the case is snapped shut, the incomplete puzzle is protected, and the pieces remain separated. And, when it's time to put the puzzle away to clear table space, clean-up is much quicker and easier than with the roll-up storage.

I would add two thoughts:
1) Several reviewers have mentioned the need to keep this flat. That is definitely a necessity! I have wondered if a thin piece of foam placed atop the puzzle board would allow the board to be stored vertically, but I haven't tried it. I don't care so much about carrying the case horizontally - that is not a problem for me. Storing, on the other hand, would be easier in my specific situation were I able to store it vertically.
2) Care must be taken to ensure the edges and corners are firmly snapped in place when closing the case! It actually sounds and feels like it has snapped before it is actually fully in place. While this isn't a huge deal if the case is kept horizontal, it is something to pay attention to.

In all honesty, if I hadn't received this through Vine, I'm not sure it's something I would have bought. But, now that I have it, I just might get back into putting puzzles together a little more regularly since clean-up will be so much easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Puzzle keeper, March 4, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ravensburger Puzzle Store (Toy)
This is a well made puzzle keeper. Is a good value. Two things would make it better.
The puzzle board being felt lined and removable trays to separate pieces.
I have had several keepers, this style keeps pieces in the container and not
falling out as others allow; but,the suggestions made would improve on usage
for we puzzlers that travel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price, August 16, 2012
Kathy Lenehan (Agawam, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puzzle Storage for Up To 1000 Pieces (Toy)
I don't have room to keep a puzzle-in-progress on a kitchen or card table, so I've been looking at various ways to store puzzles for over a year and I finally found this one. Puzzle Storage for Upto 1000 Pieces And even though it is pretty expensive, paying for it wasn't an issue because I used the Amazon gift cards my son bought me for my birthday. I waited until I used it for a while for the Animals in Africa, 1000-Pieces Augmented Reality Puzzle Animals in Africa, 1000-Pieces Augmented Reality Puzzle I was also able to buy as one of Amazon's daily deals.

Some pros:
* The Amazon version is shipped in "Certified Frustration-Free Packaging," which is great for someone like me with severe arthritis in my hands.
* The carrier is sturdy, with 2 carrying handles.
* There's a removable assembly board included, as well as 5 partitioned areas in the carrier to sort puzzle pieces.
* The carrier snaps shut when closed.
* Although the whole case is big, it's narrow in depth which makes it less awkward and easier to store.
* It's large, but not so large that it's impossible to work on it on my lap and legs on my sofa.

And cons (all little things that would make working with puzzles easier):
* It is large, which would be cumbersome for shorter people. I'm 5'3" and I have to lean a little to the side to prevent it from hitting the ground as I walk.
* The largest puzzle size it can accommodate truly is only 1,000 pieces; when the edge is assembled it goes right to the very edge of the assembly board.
* You have to make sure all 4 sides of the carrier are snapped shut. Even though I've thought the sides were closed, the first time I used it I noticed puzzle pieces were falling out. Now I know that I have to slide my hand along the edges and snap it shut in several places on each side.
* There are also indentations on both sides of the carrier; I assume it's to make it easier to lift up the assembly board, but they're also easy places for puzzle pieces to escape!
* Although overall I'm really glad I chose this one, the most disappointing thing when I began working on the puzzle was that I'd spent a lot of time finding the edge pieces and sorting the pieces into the 5 partitions, but when I closed the whole thing and lifted it to carry it to the closet ALL the pieces fell out of the partitions and mixed all together again. Lesson learned; I resorted them and store the areas in Ziploc bags. This is why I took off a star.

UPDATE DECEMBER 6, 2012:
M. Swanson' review of the Ravensburger Neuschwanstein Castle 1500-Piece Puzzle had another suggestion that I think would also solve the problem with sliding pieces during storage; he uses coffee filters for each section of the puzzle. Great idea!

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat your puzzle like a pizza and you'll be fine., September 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This puzzle holder is wonderful for those of us who can not leave a puzzle out indefinitely: cat staff members, small human wranglers, owners of dogs that inexplicably eat cardboard, etc. It is the ideal case for slipping an unfinished puzzle in the space under the bed right next to that missing sock. I used it to let a small family of dust bunnies guard my puzzle until the next time I could take it out again.

This portfolio provides you a flat surface to solve your puzzle as well as trays in which to sort pieces. When you need to put your puzzle away for a while simply fold the lid flat and carry your puzzle storage portfolio like you are carrying a pizza box. I REPEAT, carry your puzzle storage portfolio LIKE YOU ARE CARRYING A PIZZA. Yes, there is a handle on the side of the box, but it couldn't possibly be a carrying handle. If you have an unfinished puzzle, you obviously don't pick the case up by the handle, doing so would cause the puzzle and all your extra pieces to slide towards the bottom. You obviously need to keep the puzzle store flat while it contains a puzzle. This handle is there to make it easier to pull your puzzle back out from under your bed/sofa/table/flat hiding place. :-) Obviously if your puzzle store no longer contains an unfinished puzzle, you can store it upright in the back of a closet or I found it fit well behind the headboard in our guest room. When the puzzle store was in use, I found it fit nicely under any of our beds, under all of our sofas including a love seat, and also flat in the trunk of our car.

As long as you understand to keep your puzzle store flat while in use, and the handle is there to help you pull the puzzle out from its hiding place, I think you will enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, October 31, 2012
xenofan (Kansas, USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Puzzle Storage for Up To 1000 Pieces (Toy)
I was really excited when my Puzzle Storage for Upto 1000 Pieces arrived. I've recently gotten back into jigsaw puzzles, and with only limited space with which to work in, I was desperate to find something that would allow me to work on my puzzles, and store them safely out of the way the rest of the time.

The Puzzle Storage for Upto 1000 Pieces fails in many areas. Firstly, you need a huge area in which to lay this thing out properly --- it did not fit at all on our small(ish) dining table. The reason is that when open, one side of the case serves as the area to work on the puzzle, whilst the other side serves as a "sorting" area with separate compartments for the puzzle pieces. Great idea, sure, but not at all practical for a small dining table. You need an area of about 44 x 30 inches in which to set this thing our properly.

Unfortunately, that's not the only problem. The board itself has a surface that is extremely slippy. I can imagine it would be difficult to pick up individual pieces from such a surface, and the jigsaw puzzle itself would slide around very easily. There are no raised edges to this board, so a lot of care would need to be taken not to cause the entire puzzle to go sliding onto the floor.

The case itself did not seem a very practical means of transporting or storing a jigsaw puzzle. Unless you can keep it completely flat, an uncompleted jigsaw puzzle is going to fall apart as soon as you attempt to carry it by the carry handles. It seems strange to me that the case was even designed to be carried this way due to a puzzle clearly not being likely to stay together when moved in this position.

Also, I dread to think what would happen to all those jigsaw pieces that you would have spent time sorting into the separate compartments. There's no lid or anything to hold them securely in their compartments, and in order to close the case --- how is anyone meant to do this with the compartments full of jigsaw pieces? Lowering the "lid" would cause all of the pieces to fall out of the compartments. Therefore, this is hardly a practical transport or storage solution as you'd still need to find somewhere to keep your puzzle pieces (or have them just fall all over the place inside the case).

I was not happy with this product at all, and am returning it immediately back to Amazon. Although it's a lot more expensive, I am now looking into buying a "Jigsort" --- this looks far more practical and efficient. I hope it will suit my needs better than the Puzzle Storage for Upto 1000 Pieces did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy puzzle storage with assembly board...not perfect, but very handy, September 7, 2011
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For me, the Ravensburger Puzzle Store is much handier for a puzzle in progress as compared to the way I was doing puzzles before. A few years ago, I was working on this puzzle All American 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle 20" by 27" - "Stamps". It was taking me forever to put it together. I rigged up my own puzzle worktable/storage idea. I used a tri-fold foam display board Elmer's Tri-Fold Premium Foam Display Boards, 1 Case, 48 x 36 Inches Open, 24 x 36 Inches Closed, 12 Boards/Case, White (902090) to work the puzzle on & also hold my sorted pieces. I placed the closed foam board on my card table & worked the puzzle on it & hoped no one would bump it because it hung over the edge. With only a few pieces left to finish the puzzle, I had to store it because I needed to move the card table. So I placed my felt puzzle roll-up mat Standard Puzzle Roll-Up 36x30 over the almost completed puzzle & the remaining pieces; the felt kept everything from moving around too much & also protected it from dust. I carefully moved my puzzle to a high shelf in the garage for safekeeping (from cats, dogs & kids) until I could put the card table back up... by the way, the felt puzzle roll-up mat never worked for puzzle storage. I always had a mess when I unrolled my puzzle. The puzzle would fall apart, pieces would stick to the felt; I don't recommend it at all. One day, my hubby had to move the stored puzzle & had forgotten what was under the felt. Needless to say, he dropped it! Puzzle pieces went everywhere! Weeks of work were now all over the garage floor. Had I stored my puzzle in the Ravensburger Puzzle Store, much of this 'tragedy' would've been prevented. And, that's why I think the Ravensburger Puzzle Store is very handy. When you're not working on your puzzle, you can store it away from hubbies, kids, pets & even dust...well you never know how long it be before you pull it out to finish it. The puzzle store will fit under furniture or your bed.

How to use it:
The Puzzle Store comes with a sturdy piece of poster board to work your puzzle on; one side of the storage unit has 5 sections for sorting your puzzle pieces, you can place the poster board on the other side to work the puzzle. When you're finished working on your puzzle, carefully lift the poster board & place it over the storage area, close the unit being careful to click it closed along all the sides. Notice that one outside edge has the words "Open Here." Be sure you store your puzzle with this side up; opening it on this side will prevent your puzzle pieces from flying out. I also am putting some paper over my worked puzzle before I close it which hopefully will keep it from getting too messed up when I pick the storage case up using the handles. Newspaper works nicely for this. To be extra careful when moving the Puzzle Storage with your partially worked puzzle inside, don't use the handles but carry it flat.

Nice product! This would be a great gift for any puzzle lover.

2.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Nice Work Surface And Flat Storage--Less Successful As A Promised Carrying Case, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Puzzle Storage for Up To 1000 Pieces (Toy)
Seriously, I have ALWAYS wanted one of these puzzle storage units. As I only work a couple of puzzles a year, however, it seemed an extravagance and a luxury item. I was thrilled to get my hands on this new toy and am, in truth, a bit disappointed.

Pros:
Perfect size for standard 1000 piece puzzles.
Self contained, no more cluttering up table tops for extended periods.
Extra room to sort pieces with a few large compartments.
Closes up for easy flat storage (under bed, couch)

Cons:
Simply not effective for transport unless kept flat.
Nothing keeps pieces from sliding when unit is vertical.

There are two main functions in such a device. Storage and transport. This fails on the transportation aspect, and that's a pretty big let-down. The product description promises that the snap tight case will prevent this and it does not. There are even carrying handles implying that this is a normal expectation. Truthfully, how often do you need to carry your puzzle around? Probably not very often. As a work surface, this is just fine. And if that's all you need, by all means--this is terrific. But I've got to score the product accordingly for not fulfilling its promises as listed in the product description. KGHarris, 9/11.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice features, may need help to secure thinner puzzles, September 12, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We do a lot of jigsaw puzzles in this house, and sometimes it's necessary to put one away unfinished. We've tried various kinds of "puzzle keepers", typically the roll-up kind, but none of them have really worked well. The Ravensburger Puzzle Store works remarkably well - if - and it's a big if - your puzzle fits on the board. Many of our puzzles are larger than the 20x28 inches available, and if your puzzle is larger you're out of luck.

Assuming your puzzle does fit, you get a sturdy board to assemble the puzzle on, and one side of the lid has various sized compartments for sorting. When you want to put the puzzle away, set the board on top of the compartments and then close the lid. The other side of the lid has plastic extrusions which are intended to hold the partially-assembled puzzle in place. This works if your puzzle is thick enough. Perhaps the Ravensburger puzzles are, but most of the ones we have are not. However, you could cut a piece of felt to size, lay it over the puzzle, and then close the lid. This would probably handle most puzzles.

Puzzle Storage for Up To 1000 Pieces