4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the gadget-freak
Published 22 months ago by Michelangelo Flores

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless
I made the mistake of buying this in spite of the reviews.

This product works. The dials display a number etc..

Published on September 26, 2012 by vmathew

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Pyle PACT1 Multifunction Handheld Altimeter (Lawn & Patio)
I made the mistake of buying this in spite of the reviews.

This product works. The dials display a number etc..

I can't correlate this barometer to other sources of barometric pressure that I could find. And the variation in the readings (30.88 etc to 28.98 etc) makes me think the readings are inaccurate. The barometer was the only reason I bought this; so I can follow weather patterns, but this tool is way too inaccurate for even such a small purpose.

The altimeter is all over the place. Even in a 5 second period, it changes 3-4 times, and changes are not small; the error is often on the order of 500ft etc.

The thermometer has a constant +2F error over all other thermometers that I have with me.

In short, don't waste your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a watch, plus., April 18, 2013
This review is from: Pyle PACT1 Multifunction Handheld Altimeter (Lawn & Patio)
I bought this cause I wanted an easy access watch for skiing since my wrist isn't all that accessible when I'm layered. I also thought having a thermometer would be useful as well. Both these functions work fine, the temp is +/-2 degrees when compared. The altimeter on the other hand is way off the charts. It varies +/- 75ft just in my living room, never sits still. But I guess it's good for a ball park figure. The controls are confusing as well so unless you use it regularly and memorize them or have the manual on hand, don't expect to easily access the functions on the fly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, not awful, August 6, 2013
This review is from: Pyle PACT1 Multifunction Handheld Altimeter (Lawn & Patio)
I'm a meteorologist with 31 years of practical experience, and a Ph.D. in the subject. I also teach practical meteorology (including instrumentation) at the university level. I bought this thing because I wanted a reliable little barometer I could keep in my pocket. Unfortunately, this isn't it. I was able to calibrate it (set it to the right pressure) using a high-precision, high-accuracy mercury barometer we keep in our meteorology department, but I noticed that when you take this item out on the road, especially going up and down hills, it goes through wild variations in pressure before settling down. Of course I'm perfectly aware that there is (on average) about a 1 hPa drop for every 10 meter increase in altitude. That's not the "wild variations" I'm talking about. I mean this thing goes crazy when you take it up and down hills. Pressure goes WAY up then WAY down. Completely unrepresentative. If you stop and sit still for about a half an hour, it settles down again, and gives you a reliable pressure (which you can estimate given the sea-level pressure and a known altitude). So...if you mean to use this device as an altimeter, good luck. I wouldn't bet my life on it. It's probably fine if you just hang it in your kitchen, that is, don't move it around too much. I've chalked up the 60 bucks it cost me to experience, but have decided to try a analog pocket barometer (for quite a bit more money) that I found for sale at "Dalvey."

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed., October 7, 2014
This review is from: Pyle PACT1 Multifunction Handheld Altimeter (Lawn & Patio)
I've had this unit for about 3 weeks now, and have pulled the battery several times in an attempt to reset the functions.
This hasn't helped.
The clock works fine, the temperature is +/- 2 degrees of other thermometers I have here.
The hygrometer reads a steady 45% in my basement, but I don't have another gauge to check it against.
The altitude has varied 400+ feet just sitting on my desk !
The barometer bar graph won't stop flashing. I don't know if it's correct as I have no gauge to check it against.
The set-up instructions are not very clear, and the buttons are a bit confusing without the instruction diagram. If this isn't something you're going to use avery day, don't expect to access these easily.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed. I was mainly interested in TIME and TEMP functions, bit I could have bought a much less expensive unit with only those 2 readouts.

I would not recommend this unit to anyone needing reasonably accurate altitude and barometer information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the gadget-freak, February 26, 2013
This review is from: Pyle PACT1 Multifunction Handheld Altimeter (Lawn & Patio)
I love gadgets. For me, a gadget must have at least two applications. Ideally, there's a work and a play use for gizmos such as this. This does satisfy my requirement, but it is not perfect. I still wonder why there are compass markings on the bezel when there is no compass function. I've looked and looked for an indication of NORTH on the LCD, but there isn't one. It's not mentioned in the instructions, either. I like the thermometer and hygrometer features, but I tend to have doubts about the accuracy of the hygrometer. The altimeter varies wildly, too. On days when I don't want to wear a watch I'll clip it to a belt loop and take off on the motorbike.
Four stars for lack of compass feature.

2.0 out of 5 stars Altimeter not accurate. Poor instructions, July 28, 2012
This review is from: Pyle PACT1 Multifunction Handheld Altimeter (Lawn & Patio)
I just wanted an inexpensive altimeter to check elevations when I was in the mountains. After finally deciphering the poorly translated instructions, I set the elevation for my current location. The barometric pressure is steady right now here but the elevation on this device is constantly fluctuating 10-20 ft plus or minus. Is this normal? I suppose it might be okay for a rough idea. I have yet to try it on a road trip. I really am not interested in the other functions, so I have no opinion on them.
I have to say that the only other experience I've had with an altimeter is a mechanical one I had years ago. I wish I could find a simple, reliable, not too expensive altimeter without all the extra functions that just get in the way and probably aren't all that accurate either.

Edit: I decided to return the device. After playing with it a while I decided it was not what I was looking for. After doing a bit of reading, I guess I am expecting too much accuracy for a device like this. It seems that 100-200 ft accuracy is the best you can hope for. I'm going to look for an analog that is easier to adjust and read.

3.0 out of 5 stars battery too easy to loose time control, July 15, 2014
This review is from: Pyle PACT1 Multifunction Handheld Altimeter (Lawn & Patio)
I have wear this watch for over two years, what I have noticed how sensitive this piece is, wrist band ripped very difficult to find, battery too easy to loose time control. I do not recommend this watch if its the only only you are going to wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, May 26, 2014
This review is from: Pyle PACT1 Multifunction Handheld Altimeter (Lawn & Patio)
He agreed to my expectations generally works fine and gives me reliable data, I am happy with your purchase, thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars I do not recommend this product, September 5, 2012
Amazon Customer "stephenmaturin" (Sherman Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I just got my order this morning. I was a bit disappointed in that the instructions don't really match the product. There does not seem to be any way to change it from metric to English measurements. Worse, there does not seem to be any way to contact the manufacturer to get assistance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless pile of crap. This thing is a total waste of money, October 5, 2014
This review is from: Pyle PACT1 Multifunction Handheld Altimeter (Lawn & Patio)
Worthless pile of crap. This thing is a total waste of money. It won't even save the initial settings. This is a product that makes buying off the internet look bad. Don't buy it. I'm doing you a favor by telling you not to buy it. Buyer be warned!!