4.0 out of 5 stars Outdoor speaker with a solar panel
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:59 Mins
This speaker looks very distinctive. It is a big white sphere (7.75" from the bottom to the top of the handle) with a 4" x 4" solar panel on top. It can also be charged via a regular micro USB cable.

Published 8 months ago by Ali Julia

3.0 out of 5 stars Charging cable destroys beauty
Charging cable when plugged in is too visible. Should've been more hidden. Solar power is only useful when outside - inside the home, the oblique sunlight doesn't trigger charging the unit.
Published 28 days ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Outdoor speaker with a solar panel, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Pyle PBTSN50 Sunblast 2-in-1 Portable Bluetooth Solar Power Wireless Water-Resistant Speaker System with Built-in Mic for Hands-free Call Answering (Electronics)
Length:: 2:59 Mins

One thing that caught my attention is the low upper limit for the solar battery. The manual says that the solar battery is temperature resistant between -10°F and +60°F. I wondered if this was a mistake in how temperatures in Celsius were converted to Fahrenheit and I found a confirmation of the error in the specs for the speaker. In the specs the temperature range is given in Celsius as -10°C and +60°C. This makes more sense. This gives us a range of +14°F to +140°F.

The speaker is easy to operate, all controls worked well. To turn on the pairing you need to press the blue button under the solar panel. The speaker paired easily with iPad Mini tablet as well as my Android tablet. When I turned off the speaker and then turned it back on again the bluetooth automatically reconnected and continued to play music.

The front panel of the speaker has a battery indicator. It is green when the charge exceeds 80%, it is flashing green when the battery is being charged, yellow light indicates battery level is between 20% and 80%, and red light indicates the battery level is under 20%.

The speaker can only operate via Bluetooth (it has no audio output) and it can connect only to once device at a time.

How did the speaker sound? Fairy well. The high and mid tones sounded good, the bass rage was not stellar but acceptable. I use Bach's Bach Tocatta and Fugue in D minor as a test for all speakers because I noticed that some speakers start crackling at several deep bass section of this music. It gives me a nice test to compare different speakers to see which ones can handle it well. Pyle speaker did not crackle but it sound somewhat muddy. The speaker can be made fairly loud, when I listened to it on the porch outdoors I could hear it well. If you start with the speaker fully charged and leave it in the sun for continuous recharging this speaker can provide music for 10 continuous hours. If you like outdoor outings this speaker is going to be a nice companion.

This solar speaker provided by Pyle.

Ali Julia review

5.0 out of 5 stars It's big and bold, June 8, 2014
Length:: 2:22 Mins

One notable trend for Bluetooth speakers has been to make them smaller and smaller and slap a "portable" label on them. Not so with the Pyle SunBlast. This is a big speaker, a globe-shaped device that's 8˝" in diameter and weighs just over three pounds. Before saying anything else about the SunBlast, I give two thumbs up to the manufacturer for including a large-size instruction manual that you don't need a magnifying glass to read.

After I put a full charge on the SunBlast, it paired with my Kindle Fire as device "M5DEG2DC," with no code required. I played one of my favorite playlists, and the audio quality sounded excellent to my ears. Because of the design of the SunBlast, the audio covers wide areas in the front and back of the speaker, and with 3 watts of sound, it will easily fill a room or a decent-sized area outdoors. Volume can be controlled from the source or with a knob on the SunBlast. Note that the SunBlast does not have controls for play/pause or next track/previous track - these must be controlled from the audio source. The Bluetooth signal is as stable as that of any device of this type that I've used. Inside my house, I carried the SunBlast around the ground floor (there's a nice folding carrying handle), and even with three walls between the Kindle Fire and the speaker, I had no dropouts even at a distance of 25-30 feet away. Note that there is no provision for a wired connection to a phone, tablet, or MP3 player - it's Bluetooth only.

There are two ways to recharge the speaker's built-in battery: through a micro-USB port and by the solar panel on top of the speaker. A USB charging cable is included. The solar panel is about 16 square inches. I placed the SunBlast in a south-facing window for a few hours, presumably charging the battery, but there's no direct way to measure the output voltage and amperage from the solar cell, so I'll take it on faith that it's doing its job. Obviously the solar cell needs to be kept clean, but note that the instructions specify using a soft cloth but no microfiber.

The product description states that the SunBlast meets marine grade IP44 construction standards. These IP codes classify and rate the degree of protection provided against the intrusion of dust and water by mechanical casings and electrical enclosures. "IP44" signifies that the SunBlast will not be harmed by splashing freshwater, and that no particles greater than 1mm in size can enter the device.

The obvious negatives are the lack of an audio port for wired connections, and the lack of controls like play/pause and track controls. On the plus side is the capability of being charged by solar power, and up to 8 hours playing time with a full charge.

I seldom use a cellphone, I keep one mainly for emergencies, so I did not test the hands-free calling features of the SunBlast.

Despite some negatives, I really like this speaker. It's not tiny and portable like many of the Bluetooth speakers on the market today. It's big and bold with a very attractive, innovative design, and I love the sound.

A product sample was provided by Pyle for an honest, unbiased review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, July 3, 2014
Solo (Panama City Beach, Fl) - See all my reviews
This is a great little source of entertainment, it has exceeded my expectations and works flawlessly. The charge lasts for ten (10) as advertised. For the money it is a great buy! I would suggest a upgrade to be able to charge the source device as it not offered as such.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Indoors and Outdoors, June 11, 2014
I set this speaker out for a full day of sun before our guests came over for the night. When I was time for the hot tub, I turned it on and paired it with my HTC One. It has a good enough volume that my husband asked me to turn it down.

I've been using this every morning as I get ready for the day. The music doesn't have the best clarity, but it is satisfying with the deep base. I think the average listener will enjoy it.

Reconnection is automatic and range is very good. Anything that gets me from the kitchen, down a long hallway, around a bend and into my office is a good connection.

Phone calls are clear, except I can hear a light echo when I speak. The caller's voice comes in perfectly fine. When I went to test the call from the caller's end, it's an excellent sound. Both ends are superb, especially for a Bluetooth speaker.

I haven't had to recharge the speaker in the sun since the first time I charged it. It's been in a room with shades drawn for days and it still works fine. The good thing is if we don't have sun, we can charge with a micro USB cable.

I love the look. With the handle up, it reminds me of a droid head from a sci-fi movie. With it down over the large slit opening, I think football helmet.

This product was provided for review by the Max Borges Agency.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to go anywhere, September 28, 2014
Under the Sun any time no need to charge. Easy to go anywhere.
Sound Quality Ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like It!, October 5, 2014
Wife puts it by the pool when we swim. Wife loves it . . . . 5 stars. It really is great. The solar charger means we never worry about batteries. Sound is very good. Bluetooth connects to all our devices including Kindle pad, I pad and android/windows phone. Simple and easy with a great sound. We just grab it and go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solar powered and water resistant, so handy for outdoor acitvities, June 11, 2014
Some time back, taking a nice sized speaker with you outside use to mean powering it with either large D-cell batteries or one seriously long extension cord. And even then,you weren't connecting to it using Bluetooth. It was for CDs, tapes or AM/FM radio. More recently you can find nice rechargeable radios that will connect to a device via Bluetooth, but Pyle speaker is the first time I've seen a solar powered Bluetooth radio. And it works awesome.

It doesn't need to stay in the sunlight all the time to run. The internal battery will recharge with the light and store the power to use when needed. So you can use it as you're charging it, or sit it in the sunlight and charge it for use later.

This is a great speaker for using while out camping, RVing, and any other outdoors activities where you want to bring a speaker along for some music. Besides charging it up with sunlight, you can also recharge the internal battery using an included USB cable.

The volume gets plenty loud, so setting it up outside to listen to music from works great. Picnics, days at the beach, out washing the car, at a camp site, outside barbecuing, etc are all perfect times to use this. And the solar charging makes it really handy for those long trips when you can't just plug it back in each night to charge. If it can get a few hours of time in the sun, you can get lots of use out of it.

We set this speaker up in our fishing boat so we can play music or listen to the radio through apps on our phone, while we are out on the water for the day. Because it's water resistant, a little splash here and there doesn't bother it. And sitting out in the sun it gets all the power it needs to keep going all day. Love how it charged and it works great.

Sampled provided for review

5.0 out of 5 stars cool, July 8, 2014
This thing has amazing sound better than any Bluetooth speaker I have purchased and I have purchased a few. I use them while I am working on the job site. You can't tell by the picture but this thing is round because the entire inside is one huge speaker. I have to really really stress how good it sounds. I am not kidding when I say it sounds like a speaker twice its size with full range tweeters and woofer. It is built to last too. I dropped it accidently and I don't suggest dropping your to test it but it bounced all the way down my work ladder and rolled into the wall and kept playing the entire time, it did not even loose connection with my phone. Most of the work I do is indoors but the solar charging top is cool. I leave it setting on top of my van and it trickle charges the battery! I can answer incoming calls while I am working as well. The microphone hears me clear as a bell from a distance of about 6 feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the beach!, November 11, 2014
Sound quality is terrific. Connected flawlessly and has a decent range. My family and I went to the Jersey Shore for a week get together so I bought this to listen to music on the beach, having a solar panel and all was a major plus knowing that should the weather be right, we would be out there all day. I have another BT speaker, but its one of those square ones that are ok, but not loud enough, especially for all of us. Well I can testify this thing kept going and going, and it was a cool conversation starter too! Excellent built, no sand got stuck in it. Really nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great portable speaker., July 7, 2014
I have not had this speaker long enough to rate it a 5. If it still works as good as it does now in a year or even better 2 or 3 years it will get a 5 star review. The speaker is easy to sync, and is loud enough to hear across my yard. The solar panel is a great feature because you can listen to it all day without having to worry about plugging it in to charge, but you still can charge via USB for a quicker charge. All in all this is a great speaker and I hope it last years.