5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product
Published 22 months ago by Paul

1.0 out of 5 stars Large, Clear Image, Bad Battery, Remote Inoperable
The Pyle Home PDH14 plays DVDs nicely, with great clarity and the size is large enough that several people can watch together without being huddled around it in a tight semicircle. For those exclusive characteristics, I would give 5 stars.

Published 23 months ago by SPK

1.0 out of 5 stars Large, Clear Image, Bad Battery, Remote Inoperable, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Pyle Home PDH14 14-Inch Portable TFT/LCD Monitor with Built-In DVD Player MP3/MP4/USB SD Card Slot (Electronics)

However, this is a PORTABLE DVD PLAYER, and must be evaluated as such. After the initial charge (took several hours), the player was shut down and detached from the charger. The next day, 7 hours later, I tried to use the player, but it would only turn on momentarily, then shut immediately off. After several attempts, I realized the battery was nearly dead. It would play unremarkably while connected to the AC adapter, except the remote wouldn't work (more on that later). So, I referred to the owner's manual again, and discovered that there is a switch on the right side of the player that must be in the off position in addition to shutting it off with the standard power button (momentary switch, circle with line through it icon). So I reconnected the charger, waited until it indicated it was again fully charged, and powered the player down ensuring the side switch was also off. Three hours later, I powered the player up only to discover the battery was nearly dead again!? After repeating this cycle two more times, it became apparent that the battery was not going to hold a charge, or there was a parasitic drain on the system that would not allow it to be unplugged for more than a short while without discharging. Bottom line: when immediately played after disconnecting adapter, the player could be watched untethered to a wall outlet for 57 minutes--SCRATCH PORTABLE FROM THIS PLAYER.

Second problem with the player I received was the remote was inoperable. Albeit, a minor problem with this player since no control features were exclusive to the remote, and all could be accesses through the player's MENU interface. It should be noted the player did not come with batteries; so, I installed new batteries, ensured correct polarity, and... nothing. With batteries in remote, I tested voltage into the remote and it was 3.31 volts. I then viewed the remote's LED while operating with my IR camera that visually reveals function of remotes--also nothing. At that point, I didn't bother attempting to further disassemble the remote (split the case) as the major problem with the player's ability to be portable had already been discovered.

In all honesty, had the player worked as stated regarding portability (been able to watch a full movie while not connected to a wall receptacle), I would have overlooked the bad remote. I contacted the selelr (Quality Car Audio), repackaged, and return-shipped at my expense, and was refunded the price of the player. I've since read more than a handful of reviews stating remotes weren't working. I'm always looking for a good deal and I'm very pragmatic/frugal--but this Pyle Home PDH14 DVD Player wasn't it. I cannot recommend the PDH14 based on my experience with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, November 1, 2012
I just traveled from NY to Brazil with 4 kids and AA airlines do not offer any videos for kids. This was the smartest idea to take with this DVD player. The battery like is like all DVD players about 3 hours. I also bought an external battery for extra life. The unit is very clear and good quality. The good thing about this is that I put on some family videos on a USB drive and they watched those videos as well. Overall I think this is a great product especially for the price. I like the idea you can tilt the unit monitor. The unit also comes with a strap to add to a car headrest but I did not try it yet.I also bought a external battery pack that works great with this product Lenmar DVDU923 Universal Li-Ion Battery for Select Portable DVD Players (Electronics).For long flights this is a great help

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Review, April 7, 2013
I wanted a portable DVD player with a large screen. I use my DVD player connected to TV a lot and after a few years the DVDs which are treated for anti-piracy mess up the lens and I'm reluctant to open the machine up and clean it. So I thought a portable player would be my answer. I could find no large screen portable players from the well known manufacturers so bought this machine. I would still like a larger screen but the video here is very good. The Image is crisp and clear and has depth. The audio is very poor. The volume does not get very loud and the sound is metalic with lots of distortion especially with music crecendos. I tried watching an opera DVD and had to stop as the sound becomes so distorted especially when vocal. The remote did not work. Sometimes when the machine startes reading a disc the screen goes black and I need to start the reading over.

2.0 out of 5 stars Car charger broken/static, February 15, 2013
Right out of the box the car charger was in pieces. I tested it on new and old dvds and there was static on both dvds and on all 3 sound options. It is faint so if you are far enough away from it you may not hear it. I really hate spending almost $150 for something to be broken right out of the box. The cord for the plug is really short, maybe 3ft long. I purchased this item because of the large screen. The remote seems to work fine if you have it under the player. I noticed the sensor is in front with a "lip" on top making it difficult to use the remote if you are looking down on it. It is lightweight which will make it easy to carry around. I have passed up many other "Pyle" products due to this one experience. I have come to learn that if something is "cheap" it is probably made "cheap", especially after reading reviews on other "pyle" products.

2.0 out of 5 stars LCD screen had bubbles out of the box., May 26, 2013
Amazon shipped this player to me in record time just before the Memorial day weekend(five stars).
i plugged in the player and began reading the manual. The manual is made confusing by not including a picture
diagram of where all the features/switches are located and it is written in very broken (pigeon)English.
After charging for 7 hours the red charging light never did turn green as stated and would not play for more than 1 1/2 hours.
The real disappointment was that there were a dozen air bubbles scattered on the LCD screen.
After some research it became apparent that the cause is probably a manufacturing defect. I had no problem with the remote once i found that the remote needed to be just below the player for it to work.
Sadly, i decided to return the player and not order a replacement since many the reviews reflected poor battery performance .
and remote control problems.
It's too bad the quality control is poor because it is exactly what i was looking for and there are no others with 14" screen on the market.
In summary, it's a great design, too bad Pyle did not make it reliable out of the box and hire some proof readers to review their manuals.

4.0 out of 5 stars very nice, February 9, 2013
I thought it was pretty light but works great. don't know how long the battery will last. I do wish there was more volume out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable LCD monitor, November 16, 2012
Fun little DVD player! It hooks my train ride up with action, comedy and basically helps me time-travel through my commute. You can use a DVD with it, or a USB thumb drive if you so choose, it does both. Has great battery life, often lasting for two days before I give it a recharge. Charges fully in about an hour. Great for the hour commute each day. The remote control is a fully functional one, meaning you can select any menu feature with it that you can directly on the unit.

The compact size is perfect. Very lightweight, and folds flat around the size of a laptop. Very dependable.

2.0 out of 5 stars poor, November 11, 2012
The remote didn't work and the machine only played certain dvds not all. I returned it as soon as I could,

4.0 out of 5 stars huge screen is really cool!, February 5, 2013
This is a huge screen which I thought was really cool. This was a gift for my dad they only thing he kinda of complained about was the sound so I have it 4 stars . My dad is a huge sound person Bose sound system and everything .but besides that he likes it a lot

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!! GET it NOW !!!***, September 12, 2012
HUGE CRISP SCREEN!!! ***The BEST portable DVD player out there ! LOVE all the functions- comes with everything!... Nice & solid ,swivels to any angle-SUPERIOR quality- can't believe I never heard of PYLE b4 ! WoW !!! U will certainly be impressed !!!:)

Rate and Discover Movies