Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on December 21, 2011
I was looking to get speakers for a 16x18 size media room in my basement. I have already experienced shopping for ceiling speakers for my upstairs common room. I went with very high end speakers having a company install "speaker craft" along with a sonos system. I paid $8,000 dollars and although they did an amazing job and the speakers can make the house shake; I did not have the same financing options for the basement. I took my chances with these speakers thinking that they were so cheap that if they didn't work, I can just give them away. It turns out that they speakers are awesome. I definately hesitate to turn them up to see what they can do as I am sure they would blow. But believe me when I tell you that I have them loud enough to impress most people who have not alerady heard the system I have upstairs. This was a killer deal and I wanted to share it with everyone!
It is nice for a change to get a good deal on quality sound.
11 comment85 of 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2011
I bought 4 pairs of these for a 4500 sq ft custom house of a client of mine. Installed them throughout the house with in wall volume controls hooked up to a Pioneer AV Receiver...they sound great. Install was a snap...good quality of hooks that flip around to hold in drywall, good connectors for wires to run into, etc.
I have put in a lot of in wall speakers over the years and have found that for most people using them for just whole house sound, you don't need the big brands with the big cost. Just buy something like this from a name brand and save yourself some money. You are never cranking the up all the way, just for background music during parties, or working around the house.
0Comment39 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2011
I bought 6 pairs of these for an office sound system and installed in a drop ceiling. They really sound great, with decent bass, clear highs and solid midrange. They installed easily and securely and as I said, the price was certainly good. My only problem, which caused me to subract a star, was that at least 8 or 9 of the speakers had stress cracks in the plastic housing...some in the round bezel which actually shows when you install. This doesn't impact the sound or their ability to stay mounted securely. But clearly there is a manufacturing problem. Either they are torqueing the screws too tight during assembly, or the plastic is compressing after assembly and cracking.
Even so, if I had to add sound to additional rooms, I'd still use these as the sound and price are great.
66 comments46 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2014
These are great speakers, the tweeter can be directed after installation or at any time without removal of the metal cover grill. Very powerful speakers that provide excellent sound and finish quality. I purchased the 8" ones and glad I did over the smaller ones. I was worried about appearance, but painting them before installation, made them almost disappear into the ceiling.

Never installed these before, here is what I learned in the process:

1). To remove metal cover grill: Sit on couch, invert speaker onto lap, swing locking clips toward center, push top of tab to force off metal cover grill while holding speaker just off your lap. POP!

2. Paint metal cover grill and outer plastic flange before installing. I used a small roller (light paint saturation) to match texture of ceiling. Do two coats. Use a big needle or small tack to clear any paint-filled holes. Once painted, they almost disappear into the ceiling.

3. Make a fist sized hole in the center of where you plan to have your speakers and reach in to confirm that you don't hit any rafters or blocking BEFORE you make your larger cut-out. You may be unpleasantly surprised and may need to shift your location, so don't make the big hole until you are sure all is clear. The clip/locking tabs need clearance all around (about 1/2").

4. Paper cut-out template provided is a bit undersized (thank you Pyle for making it sturdy cardboard and pre-cut), they probably imagine self-installers are not so careful. Cut it atleast 1/8" bigger all around.

5. To avoid damage to your finished sheetrock during cut-out operation: use a dremel tool to cut thru the paper layer of the sheetrock completely or do multiple passes with a mat knife. Otherwise you risk spalling off large chips of sheetrock which you don't want to patch back. To reseat any chips flaked during agressive sawing, keep elmers glue handy to patch back smaller chips on the finished side as you go. Then drill out a 3/8" or larger hole in center and near edges to insert your sheetrock saw.

6. Most likely you will cut the sheetrock slightly off-vertical on the cut line, so use your saw and go back to straighten the cuts.

7. Carefully wash you hands before final installation of speaker.

8. Test each speaker before installation. **This probably should be item #1.

You won't regret doing this work (less than an hour not counting crawling thru the attic), the payoff of these speakers is huge. Verisimilitude confirmed when all our pets completely freaked out by the quality of the surround sound for very low investment. Enjoy.
11 comment14 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2012
I am pleased with the sound of these speakers in a ceiling installation with 5 speakers on a home theater receiver. I do not have a separate woofer.

The sound is fine for a good 3D video experience and for general music with reasonable base, very good mid-range and reasonable treble. The tweeter angle adjustment is much too limited. They require no floor space so that is a major benefit. I may add a satellite woofer someday.

I once had Altec's Voice of the Theater speakers and these Pyle units do not come close, but at 1$ of Altec's what can you expect.

Installation of 5 ceiling speakers required several hours and generated plaster dust that dispersed everywhere. These speakers require a moderately precise round hole. I used a Dremmel multi-tool with a drywall blade and that worked well. Once the hole is complete, installation is easy.

I was concerned about dirt and dust from the attic collecting on the speaker cones since there is no barrier. I enclosed the backs of the speakers with a soft plastic film before installation to avoid dirt on the cone that would cause distortion. The film must be soft and provide the ability for cone movement without causing air pressure on the back of the cone.
11 comment17 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2010
Recently I replaced two of the ceiling speakers in our church building. Before purchasing on-line I looked all over town trying to locate locally and was more then a little surprised to find that in a town this size, nothing was available. After searching on-line I found this great deal at Amazon. The speakers arrived when promised, were excellent quality and easy to install. I needed a speaker that was between a cheap intercom type and a super high end surround sound type. The quality for voice and music are very good. If I had to replace them again, I wouldn't hesitate to use the same speakers
0Comment26 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2012
We have several sets of AudioSource ceiling speakers in our house currently, so when I wanted to add a set to a laundry room I thought I would go with a less expensive set. These were on sale from $104 to $38 for the pair vs. the $110 for the AudioSource.

When I opened them from the factory sealed box the center of both speakers looked dirty and bad finger prints on them (see pictures). Because it wouldn't really be seen I decided to mount them anyway, but as I did several parts fell off (see pictures) seemingly due to poor glue application. Many other people talk in the reviews about the center area being cracked due to screws, but mine had no screws and fell off as the glue let go.

In the end I had to super glue these speakers back together right out of the box, which is a pretty massive fail for any product. If I had bought these at a local store I would have returned them, but I really didn't want to return them to Amazon and get the same quality speaker again in a few weeks, so I just repaired and mounted them.

the sound quality is decent and close to the AudioSouce set already in place.

At the end of the day I can't recommend these, but if you only want to spend $38 and don't mind fixing them right away then I guess you will be fine with them.
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment11 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2010
Sound quality is not equal to an overpriced one but is good for home users. If you want theater quality then chances are you are not looking at this. But for those that want a good quality speaker for a good price this is it.
Also the quality of the sound is related to the speaker wire (use at least 14ga or thicker), install, and your power source. Set all those up correct and this will work great.

I did a 7 speaker setup with the Pyle speakers here from Amazon and they sound great. I used 12ga wire, installed them to direct the sound correctly, and used a good amp/receiver to power them with.
I used the 6.5's for the rear and the 8's for the front as I have larger room. If you have a smaller room then just use the 6.5's and skip the eights.
22 comments8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2013
for the price these speakers are amazing, super easy installation(i have an open attic), ran 100ft of wire & installed 4 speakers in 90 minutes. comes with a stencil, all you will need in a measuring tape, pencil, keyhole saw and a philips head screw driver.

i used my cordless drill to tighten the speakers to the ceiling, go slow and not too tight because grill will not fit back in

these are not bose by any means but i was blown away by the quality for the price, 2 for $36, i was able to give my living room a super clean surround system for well under $100, i would and will buy these agian!
review image
on November 29, 2010
Great speakers. We purchased 6 speakers and they were easy to mount, connect and use. They have great sound quality.