Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

Pyle PL71PHB Headrest Pair with Built-In 7-Inch TFT-LCD Monitors (Black)
Package Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$106.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 22, 2011
I am very happy with this purchase. I've been looking for something to keep my toddler entertained for the car rides and this does the trick. I first tried a Coby Tablet and attached it to the headrest but the startup time on the Coby Tablet was just too long and the resistive touch screen is just too hard to get used to once you get used to a capacitive touch screen but anyways, getting off on a tangent here. I am currently using an iPod Touch with this and it works great, I'm just wondering if it would be more cost efficient to buy a more expensive headrest with a DVD player. I'll explain the costs associated with this product and you can make the decision.

Installation was very easy. I am an average-knowledge techie. You do have to run the cable through your car seat. I installed this in two cars. In my Toyota, the cable just fell through to the bottom, no problem whatsoever. In my Honda, there is some obstruction so I did have to remove the back plating to the car seat. Overall, not much of a problem, but be prepared to do some work getting that cable to run through the car seat. You do have to buy an adapter to connect the power to your car. It comes with two wires, red and black, you can either connect it directly to your car's electrical (too complicated for me, I chose the easier route) or buy a Enercell(tm) 12V/10A Solderless Vehicle Adapter Plug from Radioshack for $6 to connect it to your cigarette charger. Connecting the wires to this adapter is easy, it just takes some trial and error. Sometimes I had the wires in too far or not far enough. I tested it before I installed it in the car. I recommend you do the same so you won't be playing with the wires in a cramped space under the car seat. The last thing I did was to cover all of the wires with black electrical tape, not absolutely necessary, but I did it just to add additional protection on the wires.

Additional Costs.
-2 car charger adapters from RadioShack for $12 ($6 each) as noted above
-Electrical tape for $1
-A 3 port car charger adapter, the device that turns your cigarette lighter into 3 ports. The cord has to be long enough to run to the bottom of your seat. This costs anywhere from $10-20 purchased here on Amazon or at Fry's electronics. You need 1 port for each monitor and another port for your video device.
-Three 1 female to 2 male y composite splitters so that your video source can show on both monitors. At RadioShack, each splitter can cost about $8, on eBay, all 3 splitters will be about $8.
-iPod Touch 4G 8GB for $200. I'm sure a portable DVD player with video out would work too but I like the Touch because I can control it easier while driving. Surprisingly, the Touch is the only device I can find with composite out. Most devices these days only have hdmi out. I did consider buying the older Touch models such as 2G or 3G but I use the Azul App on the Touch and it only supports the 4G model.
-Composite cable for iPod Touch for about $20 on eBay, Apple brand is about $30 I think. Just make sure it supports your iPod Touch. I found that only specific ones support the 4G Touch.
-USB car charger adapter for about $6-10. For the iPod Touch, the composite cable also acts as a USB charger so I had to buy this USB car charger adapter. I know some of the 3 port car chargers have USB ports already so of course you won't need this if it does have the USB ports.

As you can see, there are alot of additional costs associated with these headrest monitors. Probably about $30-45 to install the headrest monitors and another $225-$240 for the video device. So it might be better to buy the more expensive headrest monitor with the DVD player already included. The reason I didn't do this was because based on alot of the reviews on Amazon, the lower priced DVD headrest monitors had a lot of problems. Most of them commented that the DVD players would break over time. Also I prefer the iPod Touch because I have alot of avi/mp4 movies that can play directly from the Touch.

Two more things I do want to mention is that the cords and adapters are all under the driver car seat and looks like a pile of mess. I'm sure you can buy one of those boxes from RadioShack to hold all of these cables but then that is another cost. I don't mind the mess since it's not visible but I thought I would mention it. I'm sure you can go have it professionally installed but I'm sure it's expensive for something you can do on your own.

Also, as mentioned in another review, these Pyle headrests go back really far. Most car headrests are bent forward, these are bent far back. I read one of the reviews addressing this and thought to myself, I never use the headrests anyways. Big mistake, you will miss the headrest when it's not there or bent back. I had to purchase some headrest pillows to make it more comfortable, another $20-30 on eBay.

I almost forgot to mention about the audio. The audio is loud enough when the car is in park or for a slow ride. It does get drowned out when on the highway. I have my ipod touch running through my auxiliary in my car anyways so no problems here.

In conclusion, I do love these headrests. I just thought a buyer would like to know the additional costs associated with them.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2010
Before I go into details, I want to mention that I'm very pleased with the purchase although I rated it as 4-stars.
I have serious doubts buying this one since it has no reviews.
I've installed these in my car, connected to media center and use two IR headsets. The system worked great for the past two weeks and we finally can drive in peace for long distances.

Build: The quality of the product surprised me. I expected it to be less - according to the price. The headrest itself is done from leather-like material. It has hice feel and looks good in the car. I have grey interior and black headrests are OK there (it's not really dark black). The monitor appearance is great. Buttons are small and work well. The cables and the connectors are OK as well. You even have some filter box on the DC wires and the plug.
Screen: The description states 1400x230 pixels. Well. I have no idea what 1400 means, but the picture is good. The quality remains good even if you connect both monitors to one DVD player thru V-connector. Kids have no problems with it.
Installation: Not really, but quite easy.
Some additional notes:
1. You can tilt the screen up and down together with the headrest. It is very convenient to the child since you can match the height, but I think that it creates some sort of safety hazard for you since the headrest does not really support your head. You cannot adjust both: the headrest to protect you and the monitor for convenient watching. Plus, you cannot really fix the headrest to resist car crash. I personally do not care, but other people might.
2. The description mentions two AV inputs. This is not completely true. You have the cable in the pole and the AV input at the front. I thought that I can connect two devices thru the pole cables since I don't really want anything connected to my front panel. I thought to have two media centers connected to both monitor, to allow the kids watching same/different movies by just changing AV input. This is impossible because in the pole you have two video inputs but ONLY ONE audio input. You can connect DVD and rear view camera. But who needs rear view camera on the rear seat. This is just stupid design. I gave 4 start only because of that.
3. I was not aware that IR connection does not have any frequencies... Therefore, the headsets receive signal from both monitors. So basically you cannot broadcast two different signals if you use IR.
4. Last note is you do not have car adapter. The monitors has two wires (red and black) that you have to connect to the car electrical system or buy the adapter yourself (additional 10$).

Good luck
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2011
review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2013
I love these headrest monitors.

The instructions are pretty minimal, but if you are at all technically inclined, specifically electronics and automotive, you'll have no problem figuring it out.

The hardest part is finding out how to pull the back of your seat off in order to run wires, and figuring out how to run wires to power.

I ran wires through down through the seat, under the seat, and wedged them under the weather stripping around the doors. I ran the power to the ignition wire on my DVD deck in the dash, it was easy because I was also installing a new deck in the process. When you run the power to your headrests direct to the ignition on your DVD unit, it automatically comes on when you turn on your vehicle, or whenever your radio unit is turned on.

They are obviously not the most expensive monitors on the market, but they work for me.

I am on the road 5-6 hours a day, with my 3 little boys in the back seat watching movies all of that time. I have had the headrest monitors for about 8 months, and as of yet I have not experienced any problems.

I used to have the Philips dual screen headrest DVD players, $89-130 from Best Buy.. I am so glad I switched!

Because of how much I am in my truck, the DVD player is always on. The Philips units got beat, they are not made for extensive use. I got tired of having to replace them every 6 months, even if they're under warranty, it's still a pain!

I have tried to use Infared headphones, and have not had much success. The headphones connect, but the sound is very staticky, unlike when we use the earphones in my wife's van with her stock DVD system,.
on October 16, 2012
By the way there is no external audio on either unit despite having a tiny speaker. The only reason I know that is because one unit QUIT working completely, so I did a partial disassembly to look for loose connections. I hooked up the defective monitor to the connection on the one that still works, NOTHING. It's just a white screen, so I know I still have power, but no picture.
on November 27, 2012
Picture quality for such small screens isn't that great, but for kids to watch movies on the go they work just fine for that.
on December 17, 2012
Display good sound level not to good. This is not a dvd player only a monitor. Be aware of this.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 29, 2012
i am zaza, i bought this headrest monitor set to quiet my kids in the back seat.......very clean and clear picture i have it connected to the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD In-Dash Double-DIN DVD Multimedia AV Receiver i also bought 2 of the SSL SHP One Pair of Wireless Headphones it works great.......peace in the back seat.
on November 24, 2013
The maximum this headrest is very nice, very good priducto, I have sold several and my clients have been pleased, I'm Peruvian and always buy on amazon and this product is very good. I recommend it 100%
on June 30, 2015
don't know what all the post are bout but this screens are nice and work good so far and easy to hook up look nice in my 09 chevy Silverado
luv them
review image review image review image review image review image