4.0 out of 5 stars The Red Wire
Published 17 months ago by Christy Boehringer

2.0 out of 5 stars Works great while it works
I purchased this camera about 6 months ago. It is installed connected to a Pioneer head unit. This head unit is capable of switching to a camera view without placing my truck in park so I installed it with a constant power feed. This is handy when pulling a trailer or boat.

Published 21 months ago by Gatorgirl

4.0 out of 5 stars The Red Wire, April 7, 2013
This review is from: Pyle PLCM18BC License Plate Mount Rearview Backup Color Camera with Distance Scale Line (Zinc Black Chrome) (Electronics)
Good Camera. Now, Pyle adds this red wire, and no where in the simple directions they give you do they tell you what to do with the red wire that is connected to the Composite Video Cable. Of course you read the reviews, half the buyers don't know what it is for, half the buyers say they figured it out. However nobody tells you what to do with the red wire. So for everybody that buys this unit, here is what you do with the red wire. First you will have a power supply, this has a black stripped wire, and a red stripped wire. Run these wires to your back up light. Red is positive, Black is the neutral. Connect the red to the positive wire on your back up light, Connect the Black to the negative wire on your back up light. When you run the composite video cable with the red wire, one end goes to your head unit. There should be a wire on your head unit that says "To Reverse Light" or something similar. Connect the one end of the red wire to this wire. Now here is the kicker, the piece of information that is missing everywhere. At the Camera, you will connect the other end of the video wire to the camera. What you will have left is the red wire hanging out of the video connector. Get yourself some extra wire, connect the extra wire to the red wire hanging off the cable, run this extra wire back up to your reverse light, connect the red wire to the positive wire of the reverse light. Now, when your stereo is on, and your car is running, when you shift the car into reverse, power will go to the camera and turn the camera on, a signal from the reverse light will be sent back up to your head unit, basically telling your head unit the camera is on and you are in reverse, the head unit will immediately switch to back up camera mode, whammy, you now have reverse back up video, as soon as you put the car into drive or any other gear, the camera will shut off, send a signal to the head unit telling it power is off, and your head unit will switch back automatically to your tuner, or whatever you have it setup to do. Pyle does not send enough wire, you will probably need to get an extension video cable from Best Buy, Radio Shack, or on here at Amazon. In addition, buy extra wire to extend the Red Wire up to your back up light. You may just want to tie both red wires in at the same time to your back up light. You will probably need to extend the red wire up to the head unit if you had to put on an extension video wire because the little red wires connected to the video wire that comes in the box are only about 4" long on each end. I hope this finally answers all the questions as to what to do with the red wire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product....not intuitive, July 3, 2012
Okay. This product is just as advertised and once installed properly, is on point. Now, my unit did not come with directions for installation but I figured I would pretend Google didnt exist and went at it. First there are two cables with this unit, one is a video male to male connector (for hooking up to display unit, stereo, tv, or projector if you are really odd) and another one that plugs into the power jack on camera and then has a naked end with positive and negative wires (exposed). I found the reverse light wires running to reverse lights and spliced the red and black to the positive and negative leads to reverse light, which gives the camera power only when the reverse lights are on (when in reverse obviously) I then ran the video cable to head unit and hooked up and every thing was great. The one thing i did not figure out, was a small thin red wire that was exposed at both ends of the video cable. I am not sure if that is something to hook up to the monitor or head unit that makes it automatically switch to the camera feed once vehicle is put into reverse. But the camera works fine as is, and I did not want to resort to google as I mentioned earlier. Oh and the hardest part if you have a tailgate or hatchback is running the wires from the camera THRU some orifice (I used the place where my license plate lights are) to get it into the cabin of car to run video cable thru car to head unit or monitor.

Okay all of that being said. It was not that hard to install once I worked out the obvious and the quality of the image is very very very clear and the adjustable camera angle is easy to work out and my wife likes the three color (red yellow green) back up scale lines imposed on the image. Good stuff.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works great while it works, December 5, 2012
Gatorgirl (Tampa, Florida) - See all my reviews

The camera works great for about 5 minutes then it starts to flicker and finally go black. This mean when I back out of the drive way it works great, but if I try to back into a parking space after driving for more than five minutes, I get a blank screen. Quality is poor.

Pyle requires you to pay shipping both ways for warranty work, so it would cost me $25 for them to warranty it. I think I'll save that $25 and put it towards a better product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't even consider Koolertron, May 17, 2012
I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled to spend nearly $40 on another backup camera after previously purchasing the Koolertron one for only $20. The Koolertron lasted about 6 months and died, perhaps from water inside, perhaps from being on all the time, who knows. All I know is it worked ok but the colors were way off. I had high hopes for this camera and it does not disappoint. The colors are almost exact, it does have the distance grid (which I do like in conjunction with my Excursion's backup sensors), and the night view is very good (and I have smoked tail lights so my backup lights aren't even as bright as a normal car). This is also made from metal and is much more low profile and stylish than the Koolertron which is plastic. Haven't done a car wash yet and I did change the wiring so that it's only on when I'm in reverse now, hoping to extend it's life. Crossing my fingers this one lasts more than 6 months...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, not difficult to install, September 2, 2013
I bought this device for my 2009 Ford Ranger extended cab.

When I received the camera, it had the following in the box:
1. Camera
2. 17'-ish long composite cable
3. Power cable
4. Utterly useless instructions.

I did not have a wire alongside the composite cable. I wound up running a single 18 gauge wire to send the signal to the head unit to turn on. The composite cord is just long enough without having to extend it on my truck - for other Ranger owners, drop the wire from the radio down the driver's (left) side of the tranny tunnel, then go through the grommet that is under the driver's seat. I put the wires in loom and snaked them along the frame alongside the other wiring for the truck and it's *just* long enough to get back to the bumper. I soldered a wire onto the positive side of the backup light, and I grounded the camera above the spare tire (using an existing 10mm bolt that bolts the spare tire cable assembly to the truck), which you'll want to remove to have some room hooking things up.

I don't recommend the camera be on all the time, it'll probably wear out too fast. If you have a trailer and want to be able to turn the camera on, use a diode at the backup light and hook up an auxiliary switch on the dash somewhere to put +12V on the power line you run from the back of the truck - this will turn the camera and the radio input on and the diode will prevent the backup lights from coming on if you want to use the camera independently. Make sure you solder all the connections!

The quality of the camera is a lot better than I thought it would be. Haven't tried it at night yet.

Edit: I've now had this unit for 2.5 months. Camera still works perfectly. Night vision is actually pretty decent - the backup lights on my truck are pretty bright and I could even see a car parked across the street from my house. It's nothing like infrared and the image can be a bit grainy at night but you can easily identify people walking or parked vehicles.

I also discovered that if a raindrop sits on the camera it looks like your LCD screen is broken in the truck. That gave me a heart attack the first time I saw that. Now as a part of my morning routine I wipe off my side mirrors and the camera at the same time and problem solved! ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for the money, August 20, 2013
For the money, I don't see how you could expect much more from a backup camera. Very simple to install and hook-up.

One thing that may help you, which took me a bit to figure out was adjustment. I installed the camera completely including to the monitor then made a mark on the ground at .5 meter (about 19") behind the vehicle measured from the furthest part of the rear bumper. Then find the 2 small phillips screws near the center on the bottom of the camera and loosen, aim the camera so the red line on screen is at your mark (.5 meter/19")and retighten the screws then the on screen lines are accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, December 26, 2012
works great in the night and doesnt get water in the lens part. When it rains it will blur out due to droplets on the outside of the lens but when it dries it returns to normal function. for the money its great, now that its wired, if it does break or get stolen its just a simple hook up and another 15 to 20$ for new...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, April 27, 2013
I bought this camera to install with my Pioneer AVH-3500BHS in a Corolla 2010. I finished the installation today with help of my brother. The installation took about 2 hours.

The package came with everything you need to get it installed except for the detailed installation instruction. I did some youtube search to understand the basics. Here are the steps needed.

First, you need to find a way to run the cable attached to the camera to the back of the car near the backup light harness. In my Corolla I used the license plate light as an access point. Second, you will need to cut the backup light harness to get access to the red (power) and black (ground). Connect these to the camera's black and red wires of the power cable. Third, there is an additional red wire that is part of the 15 feet video cable. This also need to be connected to the red of the backup light harness. Fourth, you need to run the video wire/red wire to the front to connect it to the stereo/monitor. Then, connect the video cable to the back of the stereo/monitor. Finally, my stereo came with a wire labelled backup camera that was not connected to anything previously, but it's now connected to the red wire that is part of the 15 feet video cable. This wire is important, because it will change the screen on your stereo automatically to the backup camera view when you put the gear to reverse (R). With this step up the Camera is getting the power only when my car is on reverse.

Now, back to the camera itself. Here are the pros and cons of this camera.

Pros
Affordable (30$)
Very nice color picture quality
Very reasonable night quality
Adjustable camera vertical camera angle
Scale with yellow and red lines
Supposed to be waterproof and fog resistent (I have not test either yet).
Cons
my only issues is that the camera actually covers the province/state name on my license plate. My worry is that I might be stopped by police because the camera is obstructing part of the license plate.

I have not tested this camera in a car wash yet and I've for just few hours. So, I can't comment on longevity and durability of this camera.

In summary, this is a very reasonable camera for the price! I love the picture quality and the lines that really help with parking!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, July 6, 2013
T. Ater "Timecow" (Northern California, USA) - See all my reviews
Picture is fairly good up to about 20 feet. Mounting on top of license plate I had to cut off both ends of the bracket or it would have covered the registration stickers. RCA plugs did not fit tightly, so I had to tape them together to keep the ones mounted in the hatch from coming unplugged when the hatch was closed. No IR lights or night vision, but works fairly well in low light. Not a bad camera for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good sub-$40 camera, September 14, 2012
I ordered one and received it in 2 days. Really fast shipping, however the camera stopped working after 10 minutes. I emailed for replacement and received another one 2 days after that. This time i plugged the camera on my TV and a 12volt power supply and let it run for about an hour. So far no problems. Install is pretty much straight forward. There is one video cable that has a red cable coming out of it that connects to the positive of the backup light and the other side to the back of your stereo or external monitor (thats what give the monitor the signal to automatically switch to the rear view). That cable it pretty thin and long enough to easily reach from headunit, toward driver side, down the footwell panel, underneath the door sill covers, behind the rear seat backrest and finally up the trunk lid arm with about 2 feet to spare. (05 Toyota Corolla S). There is another cable, about 3 feet long that powers the camera. That needs to be connected to the positive and negative of the reverse light. The negative can also be connected to any part of the car body.
Some headunits require you to pick if the signal to switch to the rear-view video is negative, positive, or off if you dont want it to switch automatically.(keep that in mind before you blame the camera for you video not switching automatically).
Day performance is extremelly good. The way i have the camera doesnt get hit by the sunlight so i dont know if it would glare alot or not. Low-light performance isnt that good but its good enough when you get closer to an object which and can clearly see how far you are. You can purchase some LED replacement bulbs for your vehicle and get alot more light and alot better low-light video quality. Superbrightleds.com is a good source.

Rate and Discover Movies