5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value
Why haven't more manufacturers figured out that this is the direction people are heading? I haven't bought a CD in over a decade, and burning MP3 media feels... archaic. Anyhow, I'm writing this review to answer some specific questions I had while evaluating similar head units.

Published 11 months ago by J. Axton

1.0 out of 5 stars Do. Not. Buy.
Published 16 months ago by SinfinitySnoop

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, September 4, 2013
This review is from: Pyle PLR34M In-Dash AM/FM-MPX Receiver with MP3 Playback and USB/SD/Aux Inputs (Electronics)

File organization is handled by default by folder, and within folders files are played in alphabetical order unless shuffle or repeat mode is active. This is a big deal for me. I'm used to folder-based navigation and wouldn't have things any other way.

Equalizer exists, but is limited to bass/treble only. Presets are limited, but I never use them anyway. Has a loudness setting to three levels. Playback seems to emphasize low-frequency bass regardless of your settings, sacrifices midbass a bit. This might be my speakers, but I doubt that.

When playing continuously-mixed tracks there is a brief (~0.25sec) delay between tracks, which is not ideal, but not bad. I've had head units from upper-tier manufacturers that did this, too (Sony).

I've had success with the following data sources: SD cards up to 16gb, microSD cards in SD adapters up to 16gb (I don't have any 32gb cards, sorry), USB drives up to 32gb, and my phone (rooted Galaxy SII in MSC mode).

Some nitpicks:
You have to hold the power button a few seconds to turn the unit off/on. I've no idea why. You can't skip back to the beginning of a track, instead you skip back to the previous song. The display is hard to read in direct sun, and doesn't really display much useful information. I'd prefer a simple folder name & track number display to the scrolling filename and folder name display the unit uses. I put the music on the device. By golly, I know what I'm listening to, just help me navigate!

Installation & tech points:
Install-wise this goes in like any other din-sized head unit. Comes with a DIN sleeve and the usual keys & screws and wiring harness. No dimmer, but I find the brightness just right for me at night. They claim 4x60 watts, but the total output power is probably more like 30-40 watts. Mind you, this is enough to operate the two 6.5" and two 6x9" speakers in my car to a reasonable volume level. My speakers are rated at 91 and 92dB, if yours are less-sensitive, you may not find the volume level as reasonably loud enough. In my car, there is obvious amp clipping (the 'static' others have complained about) above volume level 33 (the max is 40). Kind of upsetting, since there's a simply massive amount of space in the case for a bigger amp stage, but at this price point, adequate is the name of the game...

Overall, this is an unbeatable value, since one must pay more than twice the price for a device with a USB port from any upper-tier manufacturer. I'm hoping the line-out on this unit is free from the static low-frequency bass boost that plagues (and limits the volume) of the speaker outputs. Even if it's used as nothing more than an MP3 player that fits in the dashboard to feed 4-channel power amp, it's still a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!! Bargain!!, April 18, 2012
Inexpensive stereo with great features. Bought it to replace an old Pioneer and this product went beyond my expectations. Everything works great. Love the SD to store my MP3's. It also displays the titles of the songs. Can't get more for this price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do. Not. Buy., April 24, 2013
I can't stress this enough: Take your money elsewhere. I bought this radio about a month and a half ago initially. The first one came with the wrong connectors for the radio, so I never got a chance to test if it even worked. I shipped it back for a replacement, which I received about two weeks later (roughly). The replacement had the right plugs, however the radio itself was DOA (tested in car with no response at all, then tested with a +12v DC wall adapter to no avail). I also noticed that there is a diagram on top of the radio which shows the pin-out for the connectors. This would be a nice perk, if the connector shown was the same one that this radio has.

Unfortunately I did not get the chance to attempt to install it in my car until a few days ago, which happened to be just outside the 30 day return policy, so now I have a $30+ paper weight sitting on my table. Thanks, Pyle.

Update: Just thought I might add, don't expect to fall back on Pyle's one year warranty. You have to pay the return shipping AND include a $15 check/money order in the shipment. So basically, you pay almost the price of the product just to get it replaced under warranty; assuming they accept the return, that is.

5.0 out of 5 stars fresh look...awesome radio, April 12, 2012
The stock stereo had been out since we'd bought our truck. I guess i was intimidated attempting to swap out the stereo so had it professionally installed and saved the headache. The installer did an awesome job and the stereo sounds and plays wonderfully. The stereo matched our speakers perfectly with the correct wattage amount and looks more like an expensive radio.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great for about a month, July 25, 2013
I bought this item and was unsure what to expect. After installation the stereo worked great. used it for about a month and suddenly the radio did not work. shortly after the radio going out the entire stereo quit working.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT NO FILE ISSUE read my review, March 6, 2013
I love this product I install it myself forget about bad review on here. This was a bargain a cd player if it goes bad you need to purchase another one, this product you have 3 options sd , usb, aux. At first I got worried I put my usb I said no file, IF YOU GET THAT FORMAT THE USB OR SD CARD TO FAT32 INSTEAD OF NTFS they should put it on the manual other than that I'm having fun with it awsome and shipping was fast to, windows users right click the drive on your computer make sure you select the usb or sd card drive cause you don't want to format your drive, select format on the option box select fat32 not ntfs, enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Radio, 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, September 12, 2013
Looks like a quality radio
Sound quality is good
Very thin profile with no CD drive
The price is right
Features are unbeatable = SD, USB, iPod, Aux, Remote
Ability to add subwoofers
What more could you want for being a penny pincher? Yeah. Thats right. Nothing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality at Low Price, April 14, 2014
This stereo worked as a great replacement to the outdated factory stereo in my car. Although the USB port didn't work with my iPhone, the AUX port worked just fine. The sound quality was acceptable and it looks clean and simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Bargin on a car stereo, March 4, 2013
VERY IMPORTANT DO NOT QUICKLY shut off the ignition immediately after attemting to start the car (Turn on/off the igintione switch quickly). The processor that channels and decodes the radio and device will lock up on memory power, and you need to disconnect the battery to shut off and reboot. A reason you see the negatives here. This baby works and tunes in both am and fm allowing a large number of presets. Best of all dump those CD's that skip and scratcb put in SD cards or pen drives with your files and enjoy, Plenty of power and a price that makes wally world look like a piker. Great replacement stereo

1.0 out of 5 stars If you like a smoking (literally) stereo, this is for you!, March 17, 2014
Okay, so out of the box this item would have been 3 stars. It plugged in and worked. The LED was not very bright which would have gotten very annoying as well. Anyway, I was 15 minutes in on a 14 hour drive and all of a sudden I see smoke seeping through my dashboard. I pull over and immediately snap it out of the dash to find the unit itself is smoking! I am guessing it was a malfunctioning part or a terrible job of soldering, but either way, this shows you get what you pay for. Unless you like a funny smelling, funny looking, 30 dollar paperweight, I suggest going to Best Buy and seeing what prices they can give you for nice Pioneer or Kenwood store models and returns.

Also, I know it was not my installation or car because after we stopped along the way (cause who can go that long with no music), I bought a nice pioneer stereo, popped it in and have been happy with it since.

Just don't buy.