5.0 out of 5 stars Price Conscious POV
Published 6 months ago by Mandy Payne

Published 1 month ago by Dave

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Price Conscious POV, May 15, 2014
I don't have a GoPro, but I have a couple of the Sony POV cameras. The most recent came with a viewer that attaches to the wrist, which was a huge upgrade from having to watch it on your cell phone. That camera, however, was well over twice the price of this one. It was over twice the price, but I don't feel like it was over twice the camera -- if that makes sense. I am giving this five stars based on value to cost.

This POV comes with a display right on the camera, which is both good and bad. It is cool because you can use it like a camcorder and watch what you're filming. However, when it is mounted on your helmet, you can't see what's up. So that's a downer and makes it more like the original Sony POV. It comes with a remote and a ton of video options. I was surprised at how much you can do and the quality of the videos with this less-expensive camera. From my short experience, the video quality seems to be on par with the Sonys.

It has a marine-grade waterproof case which is really cool for taking video underwater. I will be using this for snorkeling as well as my step-granddaughter's swim lessons.

For a professional photographer or videographer, obviously I would recommend spending the extra money and going for the bigger guns. For the regular guy who just wants to make some skiing videos to share with friends and family or a cycling- enthusiast on a budget, this is a winner.

Sample received without obligation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good video, cool motion activation mode, May 25, 2014
Length:: 3:53 Mins

This tiny camera has some very interesting features and the video quality is quite good. My video includes video shot by camera as well as the video of the camera itself.

♦ The unique feature that none of my other cameras have is an option to have video capture activated by motion. Since the camera comes with a waterproof case this is a neat feature for capturing wild life by leaving the camera outside. If you want to leave it on for a long time, you need to set "auto shut off" setting to off (the options are 3 min, 5 mins, 10 mins, off). This camera also has an opton for time lapse photography.

♦ The camera has a wide angle fixed size lens. There is no ZOOM capability. Because the lens is pretty wide the resulting video has a lot of distortion. What I mean by distortion is that the lines that were in reality straight and parallel may now look curved and converging. In the video you can see pictures taken with a 1" grid as a background which will give you a good idea of the lens distortion. This distortion happens in any wide angle lens so this is not a problem with this camera, I am just setting the expectations.

♦ Expo camera is very small, it is only 2.25"L x 1.75"W x 1"H (body only) or 1.5" (including the lens) in size. It weighs slightly over 2 oz.

♦ The camera requires an micro SD card to run. The Micro SD card is not included and needs to be purchased separately.

♦ The screen of the camera is not touch sensitive. To control the camera you have 4 buttons on top of the camera, and on button on the side. The function of each button changes depending what mode you are in. The button on the side is on/off as well as OK to select menu items. The buttons on top the right select camera or video, or navigate up and down the menus. The two buttons on the left allows you navigate through the menu, and a long push on left button puts you in the settings mode. The manual does not include any information on how buttons work, but there are fairly easy to figure out and the defaults are pretty good. I typically change many settings of the default settings on the cameras I buy, but I was happy with most of the default choices on this one. The buttons respond well and they fairly reasonable in size and well spaced out.

♦ The initial boot up is also not documented in any detail. I ran into an issue with the camera displaying blank screen when I selected either camera or video. Turns out this happens until the camera gets a chance to initialize the micro sd card. The documentation states that the micro sd card should be blank when you intially insert into the camera. I formated a micro sd card and inserted into the camera. The first time I inserted the card I received no prompts, saw an SD card logo without a red X (which is shown where there is no micro SD card in the camera), and then 0G (number zero and letter G) displayed next to the micro SD logo. When you see 0G it is a sign of the problem that the camera did not initialize the card. I took the card out, reinserted it, and this time I was prompted "Format SD?". I selected "OK" and then I saw 7.6G displayed next the SD icon. Now the camera recognized the micro SD. However the screen remained blank when I selected camera and video. After I powered off the camera and restarted it one more time after the format, the blank screen issue did not re-occur.

♦ Another glitch I ran into is that at one point the camera became unresponsive. None of the buttons responded, and I could not even turn it off. The solution to this problem was to remove the battery and then put it back in. Then the camera started normally. I do not know how I got into that mode, and it has not happened again.

♦ Speaking of the battery, the battery compartment cover is the front of the camera. To open it slide it away from the camera lens. The cover has two small hindges that hold the cover on the edge of the camera.

♦ The package comes with a lot of accessories. The package includes a remote control, a waterproof case, a charger for the battery, and a variety of mounts. The video contains several shots that show everything included in the box.
Note that I recharge the battery while it is in the camera by using a regular USB cable. The separate battery charger seems to have a loose fit with the battery and there is no documentation to guide me on how to make it fit better.

So what is the bottom line? The quality of video is quite good, especially in the bright light. Even though it is not as good as my full size SLRs camera the quality is impressive. The size of the camera is remarkably small and it is very light. The camera comes with a lot of mounts so it can be used in a lot of situations. I have tried several small cameras and I always found the controls somewhat awkward, the controls on this camera are very good, responsive and well spaced out. The motion sensor works well and it is a very cool feature.

The weakest points are that LED screen becomes very difficult to see in the sun, shooting video direct into the sun got a lot of flares. The documentation is very weak, be prepared for doing a bit of experimentation. I hope my experience with the boot up issues will save you some time.

I received this camera for review from Pyle Electronics. I hope pluses and minuses of my experience as well as the video will help you get a better idea of what to expect.

Ali Julia review

5.0 out of 5 stars great, July 15, 2014
After a month more of playing around with this camera, I am really happy with it. Battery life has consistently been around 2 hrs, which should provide you with ample time of recording. Buttons are all still working well. I really cannot complain about this camera, and given my past with similar cameras, this is saying a good amount.
When you buy this camera from Amazon it has a 30 day return, and after that it has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. The people at Pyle are a small company so their tech support and warranty department are extremely busy. It was kind of a hassle to get a human, but there where there for me to answer questions and they also replaced the clear housing that I accidently ran over with my motorcycle.

To start off, the video quality has been top notch. It takes incredible video even in the most extreme circumstances. I purchased this camera after owning the earlier Pyle models the PSCHD30 and PSCHD60. I couldn't believe how much better the quality was. Not simply in terms of resolution, but light sensitivity, frame rate, depth of field; the video that the camera could record was stunning. It is made of a different plastic that seems to take a beating better as well. It is more durable and made to hit the ground and still perform. I don't suggest throwing it at anything but mine has hit the dirt at 45 mph and lived to tell the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great camera., July 8, 2014
Cheaper than a GoPro and comes with a decent number of mounts. Can't wait to use it for skydiving and running with the bulls! The wifi remote comes in handy. One downside is how hard it is to get the protective case cover off for the first time if you are switching them out. I thought I was going to break the case in half. Other than that, a great camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars I see by reading the other reviews that the batter is crap as well, October 5, 2014
Can not get the WiFi app to work the camera. I'm an IT Guy by trade and I'm having problems with this product. I see by reading the other reviews that the batter is crap as well. I can't get more then 50% charge and when looking to buy a replacement battery I am having no luck. I did get the remote to link with the camera but haven't tried using it because of the low battery charge. I got a good price on this $149.99 with free shipping but not too sure my money was well spent. I think they should provide the correct battery charging system that plugs into the wall outlet with this model ,that would help solve the battery issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, October 16, 2014
I have had this camera for about 2 months, and so far i am well pleased with the product and the quality of the camera is very good. comes with all the basic stuff you'll want, the remote works great and the screen on the back of the camera is great to quick look at a video/picture you just took. all in all its a great camera, greatly priced. only downside it their aren't to many accessories for this particular camera from Pyle, but i was able to buy accessories from other companies and make them work. but beside that great camera well worth your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid camera for money, but could be built better!, September 17, 2014
I was skeptical about the camera cause for the price, it matched the spex of the GoPro. After using it, the quality is as good as advertised.

However, the camera does feel a bit flimsy and made out of cheap material, but that is expected considering the price tag. The company invested in the hardware that matters, which is the ability to take really good video. Also, it is a bit bigger than the GoPro, which i only noticed when it was mounted on my head.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, but should have saved for GoPro, October 23, 2014
This review is from: Pyle PSCHD90SL eXpo Hi-Res Mini Action Video Camera with 20 Mega Pixel Camera, 2-Inch LCD Screen and Wi-Fi Remote (Gray) (Electronics)
For the price, it's very nice. Pictures are great, attachments and case are even better... But there are some things that i wish were better explained. First, recording in 1080p is only 30fps. To get 60fps, you need to use 720p or lower. I figured as much, but wish it had stated that to begin with. Second, the App is garbage and severely lacking in features. Constantly crashing/locking up on both iOS and Android. Third, the WiFi is also garbage; while it works, it cannot be configured, and the range is about 10-15 ft since the camera is the AP. Fourth, and final thing; it uses a cheap image processor and/or lense, which is evident by the slight blue-ish grid on the video.
Other than all that, it's great. And like i said, for the price, you cant beat it. I'm happy with it, just disappointed with the severe lack of what i would consider 'standard features'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pyle Expo Action Camera Similar Quality to GoPro, October 2, 2014
I have to say I do not own a GoPro, but I can compare the quality of my expo to my friends who own a GoPro. It is less expensive, and has similar quality in videos and still shots. The accessories included are nice, however the manual is not clearly written. For example a charger is included, but to me it was not clear as to what it charged. Turns out it was for the remote, not the battery. The availability of a spare battery would be nice to extend use, as well as an external battery charger. With this said, I am waiting to purchase a drone to further explore the use of the Pyle Expo Action Camera. Gary

5.0 out of 5 stars PSCHD90BK eXpo Video Camera - Great Buy!!, October 1, 2014
Purchased this to use with a Phantom Drone. The first one arrived with a battery charging issue. Contacted the seller and they immediately made good. Sent the replacement and followed up to make sure everything worked fine. For less than half the price of Brand X, this camera has provided great quality video and comes with all the attachments and remote. It'll do time lapse and you can flip the video. Also has an app to use with your phone. I recommend this product highly and would not hesitate to buy it again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›