Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on February 16, 2012
For the asking price of $271 this is a pretty fantastic little stereo receiver. The tube compliment consists of two 6922's which are upgradable (and you definitely should, it will take this unit to new heights). The 300W rating is not one I would go by, but it is nevertheless a pretty strong amp with excellent overall tone and sound quality for the cost. The MM phono section is also remarkably good when paired up with a relatively high output MM cartridge (5.0mV or above). The A/B Speaker option allows for Bi-Amping/Wiring which sounded better in my setup. And surprising to me was the headphone amplifier section of this unit. It sounds quite a bit better than my old dedicated Music Hall DAC/headphone amp. I did run into a few issues one being with the internal DAC and its lag time when trying to sync. It is a mildly annoying quirk when using it with a cable box. The other issue that I found is that the balance is slightly off, but this was easily adjusted with the balance knob. The PT990A is overall a very well built and cost effective hybrid power section, perfect of an office or ancillary setup.
1111 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2012
As a previous reviewer has already stated, this amp is not a home theater receiver and there are no hdmi inputs or outputs. That is not what this is for! This is for the music lover, baby. Yes, I have a sony 6.1 channel receiver which supposedly puts out 110 watts per channel. It does fine for movies, television shows and sports, but when I cranked it up to near maximum volume for loud music it just started distorting. I experimented with different speakers, but it did not matter, the distortion remained. It was evident that it was a less than ideal receiver for clear loud music.

Rather than opt for an expensive home theater receiver that "might" do better with music, I chose this pyle receiver instead. The visible vacuum tubes sounded like a great retro novelty to me, and for the price, what the heck? Man, I am glad that I bought this! The sound is so much better, and no problem with loud volume. Much better bass. Warmer tone. The volume switch is in roman numerals which is weird, but not enough of an issue to knock off any stars since I am old enough to have actually been taught roman numerals in grade school. The volume control goes from I to X, and I have yet to crank it past IV for fear of blowing my speakers and eardrums. I should note that I am running a pair of JBL vintage 4311 control monitors. This amp brings these to life like no other receiver I have had in decades. (Yes, I am vintage, too.) I am hearing background vocals on old vinyl albums that I never caught before. I am using a vintage pioneer turntable which has worked fine for decades without repair. I suppose the combination of vintage speakers and turntable matched up perfectly with this vacuum tubed amp. I know, the vacuum tubes are for the "preamp." I don't know the technicalities and there is no way I am going to change to a different brand of tubes like some other reviewer and possibly void my warranty. If this amp with the stock tubes is not loud and clear enough for you then please get a hearing test. Another plus for this receiver is that it has a phono input which most receivers these days (even a lot of really expensive ones) do not. No phono preamp needed here. Your turntable will work just fine without it. In addition to a plentitude of vintage rca jack inputs, it also has optical inputs, a usb input, and even an ipod input in the front. I have not yet experimented with the stereo line in yet, but it seems to work as advertised. As far as the tuner is concerned, I don't have any AM radio reception worth listening to, so can't comment on that, but the FM tuner sounds great. I live in a fringe area so reception is limited and I heard static using just the supplied wire antenna when tuned in to the closest station. So I followed the advice in the enclosed manual and put it in mono mode and lo and behold the static went away! Clear and loud, especially those obnoxious car dealer commercials.

The cons on this unit are so minor that I just could not take away any stars, but here they are:
The volume controller on the remote is slow and is finely tuned in small increments. It is difficult to explain but what it means is it takes a little extra fingerwork to really crank it up. I suppose this was done purposely to keep you from blowing your speakers by accident since this thing is so powerful.

There are shared buttons on the front of the receiver and the remote for DVD/CD and tape/phono. Just tap it twice to switch inputs, but really why can't they each have their own button?
I
The printed manual (at least it comes with one, not an emanual) was written by somebody who learned english as a second language in night school. Personally I found the grammer amusing. There is nothing complicated about this unit, no start up menus to deal with, no software updates to worry about. If you have any experience at all with receivers, you will have no trouble setting this up. I guess thats a plus!

When you first power up, is says "ready", but it should say "not ready" because you can't do anything with it till the "ready" light goes away, which take a longer time than most receivers do to power up, I suppose due to the vacuum tubes being slower. Overall, a great unit. Don't hesitate to buy it if you love music. Only question mark is long term reliability yet to be determined.
on January 11, 2012
For the price, this is the best sounding amp on the market. Warm tones, great base and super clear! Hooked it up to my Audio Technica ATLP120 Professional Turntable and man, does it bring those old records back to life! Worked great, straight out of the box. Sold to shipped in less than 4 days. If you're on the fence on this one - don't hesitate. One word of caution - if you're looking for HDMI inputs/outputs, this isn't the unit for you (it does feature two co-ax and two optical connections). Likewise ths is NOT a surround sound unit. Those caveats aside, it IS everything it states. Awesome sound, slick looking box and good quality. Keep it cool and it should last years.
on January 27, 2013
This receiver/amp is great. The tube pre-amp gives everything a nice smooth realistic sound. No distortion, no hum, no buzz, and really clean solid sound. The only complaint I have is that it's a little tricky figuring out how to switch between inputs sometimes, and it takes probably a good 30 seconds to turn on (while the tubes in the preamp warm up). Otherwise, I love it. It's better in every way than an old big heavy 70 watt Sansui receiver that I enjoyed owning for about 25 years. I think this Pyle is more powerful, and cleaner, and puts out a more realistic sound. I'm using it with a pair of Vanderstein speakers. I just have to be careful not to blow up the Vandersteins.
on October 26, 2012
I had no idea that the reason my stereo sounded so bad was NOT the speakers but the amp, which was analog. After this was suggested I looked for something I could afford and this showed up. It was reconditioned. It was perfect, even including a manual. Slightly older interface, but hey, it can with a cable for my IPhone too. Just could not be more thrilled!
on April 23, 2012
I was skeptical purchasing this as a replacement for my grandparents system, but did some research and this receiver sounded like the right fit (they primarily listen to classical music). The clarity that this receiver produces is amazing - especially for the price. It's connected to a 6-zone splitter and delivers great sound to all zones without having to crank up the volume. Hopefully this will last them a long time without the tubes going.
on November 25, 2013
I have owned this for more than three years now and it has given me no problems. Except that the bass and treble knobs were not working initially but I read that you need to double-click the direct button; it worked. This thing is powering four tower speakers and I rarely turn the volume passed 2.5 but I will occasionally crank it and it performs without fail. It will definitely make your ears ring with the right speakers. I bought it solely for music; I have a separate Kenwood 5.1 surround 120 watt / channel receiver for movies. The Kenwood does not come close to this Pyle for loud thumping music. I paid less than $300 for the Pyle. I've looked at other Pyle equipment reviews and they are mostly negative. The reviews for this unit are mostly positive and I highly recommend it.
on June 22, 2012
It's always risky buying stereo equipment without being able to kick the tires and listen. I was not disapointed after getting this bad boy hooked up to the sony 4 way towers also purchaced. It got even better after I figured out how to get the bass and treble knobs working. The unit has a stereo direct button that disables them. The directions were vague with no instruction on how to turn it off. It's a toggle button that needs to be hit just right. Anyway, once the bass and treble started working it got even better. Very happy so far. The tubes are very cool and produce a rich solid sound.
on November 27, 2011
OK,YOU MUSIC LOVERS ,GET TO THIS:I LOVE THIS BAD BOYZ PYLE -PRO TUBE PREAMPLIFIER. IT WAS JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKIN TO HAVE SO THAT I CAN PLAY MY MUSIC EITHER FOR MY 5 CD EXCHANGER SONY PLAYER OR MY I-POD(MP3) PLAYER.(OMG)I'M ALSO FLIPPING OUT ON THE GR8T BASS AND TREBLE THAT IS FEATURED ON THIS,PLUS I CAN'T TURN UP MY VOLUME NO HIGHER THAN 2 1/2 CUZ IT'S JUST POWERFUL BASS STARTS THUMPING MY FLOORS AROUND MY HOUSE.WHEN IT COMES TO PLAYING THIS FANTASTIC
PRE-AMPLIFIER,IT'S BETTER FOR YOU TO A HAVE BIG HOUSE,HOPEFULLY YOU DON'T HAVE TO DISTURB YOUR NEIGHBORS WHO LIVE
CLOSE TO YOU.I FEEL SORRY FOR MUSIC LOVERS WHO LOVE TO HEAR THEIR MUSIC LOUD WITH ALOT OF BASS THAT LIVES IN A CONDO
CUZ YOU WILL BE DISTURBING THE PEACE.SO IF YOU HAPPENED TO CHECK THIS PRODUCT FOR THE GOOD UNBELIEVABLE PRICE:DON'T THINK TWICE ABOUT GETTING IT,I ADVISE YOU TO BUY IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.I BROUGHT THIS ON JULY 10, 2010 AND IT'S STILL PLAYING PERFECT FOR ME AND I LOVE IT,LOVE IT,JUST LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE IIIIIITTT!!!!
77 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2012
If you have never ever experienced a vacuum tube--BUY THIS STEREO!!! Or of you have, but don't have it anymore--BUY THIS STEREO!!!I gave it a total of 9 days valuation since I got the unit, but can hold my enthusiasm no longer. Don't worry if you don't have a "surround soud" system. The music from this stereo will envelope you to the point that you can't imagine being more surrounded by sound. Paired with my old Advent speakers and Yamaha sub-woofer, it works great with my IPhone, dvd/cd player and belt driven $70 Pyle turntable. Haven't tried the radio. And no, I don't work for PYLE. No disrespect to Pyle, but I never heard of them 3 weeks ago. Very happy with this product, and that is an understatement!

See 1 answered question