5.0 out of 5 stars This one's a gem

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor connector quality, balance was way off
Published 21 months ago by Petik

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor connector quality, balance was way off, April 27, 2013
Petik (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pyle Home PTA2 Mini 2 x 40-Watt Stereo Power Amplifier (Electronics)
I ordered a PCA2 as well as this PTA2 as I wanted to power a 4 speaker setup. The PCA2 was dead on arrival. The light came on, but I got no sound. I managed to get sound using the PTA2 but the balance was extremely biased to one side and I had to correct it ~50% to get sound to center. Also the rear inputs lasted exactly one time - when disconnecting the RCA cable, the shielded inputs on the back of the amplifier came off.

Given my experience with two Pyle products, I'm not even going to try to get them replaced. Trouble is that I can't really find another product in this size, price and features. Might have to go to a used receiver.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2x40W is a lie!, March 15, 2014
Open the box and the spec sheet says 8W/channel at 10% distortion! I measured about 6W/channel before it became noticeably distorted.

2.0 out of 5 stars It was a Pyle all right, January 15, 2015
Pros:

- Affordable
- Bluetooth capable
- Compact size

Cons:
- Constant buzzing sound from both channels, right side more when in Aux mode
- Buzzing sound from right channel when in bluetooth mode
- Considerable distortion (harmonic) above 1/2 of max volume

The cons were immense. The buzzing sound was not faint, but so noticeable that you would stare at the speakers in disbelief. I tried swapping wires and speakers and the source was the amp itself.

I was sent back to Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy!, October 3, 2014
It lasted less than 5 months.

Their warranty requires you to mail it to Brooklyn at your cost enclosing $20, and if they find it was their fault, they say they will repair and return it.

In other words, it will cost you about the same to get it fixed under warranty as you paid for it new. Meanwhile they have your $20 and the unit, and you take the risk whether it will ever be returned fixed.

This is the 2nd such unit I bought from Amazon, and the first failed in about the same time. I was gullible enough to buy another new one, thinking chances are, it won't fail again --but it did.

Don't buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good deal for the money, August 5, 2009
the anderson (fort collins, colorado) - See all my reviews
For the price, it's a reasonable power amp. I really like the lack of features. It amplifies, has a volume control and 3 inputs selectable by a mechanical switch. None of the auto-magic scan features that almost work but in reality drive me to drink. The 40 watt spec is bogus, the amp has significant distortion at moderate power levels (I'd guess above 3 watts). It doesn't hold a candle to my old school Marantz 26 watt amp. Still, it can fill a room with music. It's a great amp for driving speakers from a computer, or in an office where you don't want a lot of power.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, March 11, 2014
this is the 2nd copy of this amplifier, and both had an issue with the right channel (at all inputs).
Other reviewers mentioned the same issue, I should've payed more attention.

1.0 out of 5 stars Received broken, January 25, 2013
There are lot of complains among good reviews here, most of complains are about same technical issues. I was ordering the item to Russia, so RMA is out of the question. I thought nothing bad will happen to me because overall rating of the device is 4.5. Unfortunately I have received malfunctioned device. Static noise in right channel (there are other reviews on Amazon.com with same issue). I can use the device for mono sound only. The idea of the device is good, but it does not deserve 4.5 rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Bluetooth connectivity, January 24, 2015
The Bluetooth connectivity is truly horrible on this unit. The signal constantly breaks up unless I place my phone directly next to the amplifier.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's a gem, July 9, 2008
I had some extra speakers I wanted to drive with something hooked up to my computer and/or DVD player. I'd been using old stereo component amps but tired of how big they are and wanted to find something a little more streamlined. Well, this unit is exactly what I was looking for-- clean, sturdily constructed, low noise, small size, and exactly the options I would want and nothing more.

Back panel has voltage switch 110/230, fuse access, line out, microphone in, and three sets of inputs. I hooked it up to my 4-ohm speakers, and it kicks up a pretty decent output. Exceeded my expectations.

Bought mine from All Audio Expo via Amazon, and it appears to be brand new in box as originally sealed by the mfg. UPS sure trashed the heck out of the outer box though, but All Audio did an expert job of double-boxing with peanuts so the inner box was fine and the unit is completely undamaged and works perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect garage amplifier, June 13, 2008
Rob (Midwest USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this unit so I could listen to a cd player while working in my garage. I already had an older component cd player, tuner, speakers etc just lying around unused, so all I needed was a small amp at a low price to have my tunes. While it is primarily geared for DJ and PA use (it has mic input and mixing/paging controls), this is a perfect choice if you already have extra component equipment and just need some watts. Well constructed, cool running, and nice looking also. An excellent value IMHO.