5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I needed, for cheap
Published on June 1, 2011 by Random Stuff

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent amp but specs misleading
Decent amp but specs misleading

I have some spare speakers around the house that I don't use often and thus I wanted to get an inexpensive amp to power those. The Pyle seemed like a good deal at what it does. So I gave it a try and below is what I think about this amp.

Published 15 months ago by Tyson H.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent amp but specs misleading, October 10, 2013
This review is from: Pyle Home PTAU45 Mini 2x120 Watt MAX Stereo Power Amplifier with USB/CD/AUX Inputs (Electronics)
Decent amp but specs misleading

If you are looking to power some smaller speakers then this amp will definitely work. Don't expect to power some larger speakers though. The 120 Watts rated RMS power is simply misleading. I would say at most you get 10 to 20 clean Watts per channel. Be extra careful if you have low-sensitivity speakers or 8 Ohm speakers. You simply will not be able to drive them beyond 20 Watts without running into distortion. If you need more than 20 Watts then you need to pick another amp. There are some amps available from Amphony and Dayton Audio that give you 40 to 50 clean Watts per channel for the same price as the Pyle.

The distortion of this amp at low power levels is moderate. You won't get crystal clear undistorted audio but then again there are many folks that like tube amps which also have moderate distortion. I am not saying that this amp sounds like a tube amp but you will get distortion to some degree depending on how much you turn up the volume. The specs state 0.3% distortion but I figure this amp has 1 to 10% distortion at moderate sound levels. I did not hook it up to a meter to test though.

On a positive note, I do like the audio input selector feature. The speaker connectors on the other hand appear to be low quality. I had one connector pop out when I was trying to connect speaker wiring. Also, the bright LEDs in front of the amp are a bit annoying. Otherwise this is a decent amp at a reasonable cost.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 Defective in a row., April 25, 2013
These used to be made in Japan, designed in the U.S. I had good experiences with those products.
They now emanate from China, and the last 2 were defective. Pyle wants $20 plus shipping both ways to
honor their warranty. That is no warranty at all. I hope my garbage man us happy with the added
weight this junk will provide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pyle PTAU45 Compact Stereo - Defective Speaker Connectors, June 12, 2012
I had high hopes for this amp as I really like the compact size, and ability to hook-up my office computer, CD player and TV to my PSB Image B5 speakers. Once I got passed hooking up the speakers (yes, the springs do pop out when you attempt to connect the speakers, which is a very serious defect, in my view). Pyle should be ashamed for releasing a defective product with such poor speaker connectors. I don't know what they were thinking about, here. By spending an additional 10 cents for a better speaker connector Pyle could have avoided much customer dissatisfaction, and I suspect, lots of product returns.

The speaker connectors aside, the unit did power right up and it does sound good. Very clear tone with little distortion at the modest volume level that I use (about 1/4 volume). I will fix the blue LED brightness by adding a 250 to 500 ohm resistor in series with the power supplied to the LED block from within the unit.

If you choose to purchase this item you can expect to replace the speaker connector block with something of better quality. If you don't have the knowledge/skills to do this I would recommend against purchasing any of the Pyle amps that use spring-loaded speaker terminals.

1.0 out of 5 stars STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!, July 8, 2012
I purchased this product because of it's size and output. I received my amplifier, hooked it up and .......nothing. I contacted Pyle's parent company and they had me at my expense send it to them for repair. I received the same amp back, hooked it up to my mp3 player and speakers. This time it worked.......for two hours before it practically burned my house down. I have been jerked around by this company who was going to send labels to send it back and nothing. I will attempt to get my money back from Amazon. GOOD LUCK to those who decide to deal with this company!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I needed, for cheap, June 1, 2011
I got this when it was selling on Amazon for $80 with free shipping. My goal was to put together a shelf system for my kitchen/dinning area that was up to date with today's devices. No, there's not an "Ipod dock", but you can still plug it in to the 3.5mm jack just like every other mp3 device (I don't own an Ipod so this was only a courtesy concern). I haven't fully explored the usefulness of the USB port, but it will not "charge and play" with my Blackberry Torch. I could always plug my device into the wall if need be, so this is only a minor inconvenience. I use my phone as a tuner with the "Pandora" and "Tune-In Radio" free apps, and my SD card loaded with mp3s, which keeps my set-up as simple as possible. I'm an audio geek, so I just happened to have an extra pair of high end speakers not being used to make this set-up possible. These are 4 ohm 91db speakers tuned to 55hz, the PTAU45 drives them easily, and gets satisfyingly loud at only 1/3 volume with my speakers. The amp is rated for 120W AT 4 OHM, so if your speakers are 8 ohm you are getting close to half that power. Sound is clean from top to bottom, no issues with distortion or sloppiness. I compare my set-up with people spending $100+ on Ipod dock boom boxes, granted I have an unfair advantage. You can still destroy one of those boom boxes by simply adding some cheap speakers like the Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair also sold here on Amazon with free shipping ($40 at this moment). You can always step up the quality of speakers depending on your needs and finances, another advantage of going this route. The amp is very compact, but build quality appears solid with nice heft to the unit, and smooth solid control over all the knobs. The biggest knock I can give is for the spring clip binding posts. Yes the LEDs are obscenely bright, but a strip of electric tape fixed that in about 5 seconds so its a non issue. All in all looking at what I got for my money, this is a 5 star value.

1.0 out of 5 stars It died after about two months, April 24, 2013
I bought this to be a robust little amp for my restaurant and bar, where we hooked it up to a background music player. It always was a little fussy, and it would go out (overheat? I really couldn't say) once every few days. All we would do is turn it off and back on.

It would definitely go out if the volume was ever turned up past 3/4. Again, the fix was to turn it off and back on.

Finally, after about 50 days, it's just dead. The fuse is actually fine, so something gave way internally.

This is painful for me, because my restaurant/bar without background music is so sterile. I don't have time to send this anywhere or get it fixed...not that I would trust it to be any better than before.

Sadly, I'm going to eat the cost of this and try a different brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy used/refurbished!, September 11, 2012
I bought this amp twice as "used" and returned both to Amazon. To the folks who wrote "1 star" reviews for defective amps, the seller must have turned them around and sent me yours.

The first one sounded great with regular inputs, but the USB media player function didn't work at all, and the instructions were pretty much non-existent for that function anyway.

The second one acted OK on the front panel - and flashing lights seemed to indicate it was reading the USB (again, who knows? That's an undocumented function). But no sound from the speakers regardless of which input I used; I verified I had the speaker hooked up correctly, and the old amp still worked fine. I plugged in the headphones to see if the mains were blown, and I got a 60-cycle hum and that was it.

Based on these experiences and other reviews, I'd say you're rolling the dice buying this amplifier - even in new condition, who knows how long it will last? If it dies, YOU pay the $20 to have it repaired. A company that doesn't stand behind its product...well, probably doesn't have THAT great of a product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pyle PTAU45 amplifier, January 20, 2011
My son was turning 14 and we decided to put together a "garage dance" party. I cleaned up the entire garage, installed black, disco globe and strobe lights, got my old, big and heavy (but reliable) Yamaha amplifier and to my disbelief, it did not work with my son's iPOD. So, I did some Amazon searches, came across this little guy and decided to give it a try based on the many favorable reviews other models received. I did not need more than two channels to drive my B&W speakers and I must say I'm most impressed by its performance. I plugged the iPod into the 3.5" jack, connected the speakers and...wow...the sound was amazing. I did not have to crank the volume up more than 1/3 of the way up to fill the garage with loud music. Even more impressive is the fact that there was no distortion (even if increasing the volume 3/4+ of the way - more than that I'd blow the speakers up). The sound was loud, well balanced with plenty of bass and treble range, and crystal clear. The unit is small, it has all the necessary adjustments including "balance", which other Pyle models don't. There is an USB port as well, which is very handy if you wish to play music through your PC/laptop or you don't have a 3.5" male-male cable.

Yes, the blue light is very bright (cool effect for my purpose) and I can see the issue if the unit is in a dark room inside the house. However a strip of tape covering the lights should do the trick. I find this not to be an issue at all considering how good this amplifier is, reason why I give it 5*. Highly recommended if you don't have the needs for a surround system (like me).

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Budget Solution, January 23, 2011
I live in a 1 bedroom condo so I didn't want to use a Home Theater A/V receiver since they take up a lot of space, additionally I didn't need that much power either. The Pyle 2x120 amp is perfect specifically because its cheap, sound quality is fantastic and it has a very small footprint. I tucked it away in my TV cabinet with room left for other items. The 2x120 watts is perfect for a 1 bedroom condo, you really don't need anymore power, and I can definitely use this in the future when I get a house for a second room or outdoor parties. I docked 1 star on the overall rating because of the LED light show. The power output BLUE LEDs are REALLY bright and SUPER annoying; currently I simply place a small item to block the lights, but I will most likely open the unit up and disconnect the LEDs. I knew ahead of time that the amp doesn't come with a remote control, but it would definitely be a nice feature to have. I highly recommend this amp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic amp... except for the light show, December 5, 2010
I've had mine for about 5 weeks now. Sounds utterly fantastic for an amp this size. I'm very pleased. USB port is a big plus. But the sound level LED's are way too overbearing. They are strong enough to reflect on the opposite wall in an average size room. I may decide to disconnect them internally at some future time.