5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs
Published on December 29, 2010 by Bradley A. Carter

Published 24 months ago by Ian D. P.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, December 29, 2010
This review is from: Pyle-Pro PHA40 4-Channel Stereo Headphone Amplifier (Electronics)
This is a great item and it does exactly what it's supposed to. I've had it for about a month now and it's given me no problems at all. I run a weekly internet show that often has in-studio guests and we all have to wear headphones. Using a few 2-way splitters to hook them up meant that the volume was too low for all of us and sometimes there was buzzing or other quality issues. The Pyle Pro has solved all of that. The volume is perfect now, so loud that I'm afraid to turn the knobs all the way up because it might blow out the headphones.

There are similar products to the Pyle Pro that will cost between $50 and $200. What's the difference? From what I can tell, just the pretty blinking lights. I purchased the Pyle Pro for just $25 and I don't see how any of the others could be any better. This is also the only device that had the knobs on TOP of the unit instead of on the side. This works out great for us in the studio since we can all reach over and change our volumes when needed. Save some money by getting this thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid amplifier, August 8, 2011
I needed this device because the pre-out on my projector was very weak and didn't get loud as I knew it could. I don't need the three extra outputs, but it'll be nice to have the flexibility to expand in the future. Amplification is great, it gets as loud as I need it and more. Of course your speakers / headphones have to be able to handle the extra wattage, if your headphones are the bottleneck then this won't help you, you'll just blow your drivers. Construction is solid; doesn't feel cheap or like it could break easily. Be aware that the connections are 1/4" which will require an adapter if you're using standard 3.5mm jacks as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says it does, September 6, 2013
I bought this headphone amp to split the signal from my audio interface to multiple headphones, and to plug my headphones into my TV. It works perfectly for both applications. Just take the headphone-out from any device (computer, receiver, interface, etc.) and plug it in into the input on the Pyle-Pro with a stereo 1/4 inch cable (or 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapter). The signal is then split into 4 outputs where you can adjust the volume independently for each. Simple as that.

For devices without a headphone jack (such as my TV) an RCA to 1/4 inch adapter can be used to send audio to the Pyle-Pro.

Some things I like about the Pyle-Pro are:
1) It's small. Really small. Smaller than my LG cell phone. For those worried about it moving or slipping, a little bit of velcro, or even blue sticky, tack should solve that.
2) The sound. This thing sounds great (maybe not Audiophile-great, but it's quiet and accurate), and it gets LOUD. So loud that I haven't turned the volume to max for fear of going deaf. Even using a pair of Grado Alessandro MS-1s, which are hard to drive, I find it painfully loud at about 3/4 volume.
3)The price. For less than $20 shipped I couldn't ask for anything more. This thing provides a lot of power, splits it 4 ways, and has a small footprint. Definitely worth the money.

What I don't like:
1) No on/off switch. It's nothing to nitpick over, but you have to unplug it to power it down. For me it's fine, but for some it may be an inconvenience.
2) The LED. The red light when it powers on is a little bright. Not obnoxious, but a little bright.

All in all this is a wonderful purchase. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to boost TV sound to headphones, April 20, 2011
We bought this to be able to connect wired music headphones to our tv for our elderly father. With an RCA to 3.5mm splitter then adding a 3.5 to 1/4 adapter, everything worked perfectly! This is a very easy and cheap way to get rid of the wireless 'TV Ears" or similar product. Enjoy!!

1.0 out of 5 stars One channel didn't work. Sent Back. Second one had same problem., July 18, 2012
Ian D. P. (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I received one of these and the channel 1 was all static. The other three channels worked although they were full of crazy distortion. I had Amazon send out a second one. On this new one the channel 1 was completely silent. That's incredible. Never before have I received two defective products in a row. I'm going to stay away from Pyle from now on, although being in the car audio industry I should have known better. I'm going to spend a little more money next time. I recommend others do the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, January 17, 2011
my only complaint is that there is no off button. other wise it is a solid piece of equipment. and im using it for my home sound system. would by another if there was ever a need

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for headphones, November 20, 2010
I am using this headphone to play my roland keyboard with a singer and we don't want to make to much noise so we use this headphone amplifier and it does a great job for this price it is the best headphone amp out there

I will buy another headphone amp to hook up to my TV so I dont need to bother anyone else when my TV is on

very nice product

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as I hoped it would!, April 23, 2012
I purchased the amp to replace the wireless headphone set-up that I currently have for listening to the TV at night. I found my wireless headphones not that comfortable and the batteries seemed to go fast, therefore I decided to go with the powered amp. The set-up was quick and easy and I can now use my comfortable wired headphones and earbuds that I have. All I can say is that this amp works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Headphone Amplifier... NOT a Speaker Amplifier, November 21, 2013
I have to start off this review by addressing several of the one-star reviews that this device as woefully underpowered for their use. Most of them have apparently tried to connect this device to speakers, which it will not be able to drive at all.

This is a **headphone** amplifier and when used as such it will be more than loud enough. If you need a speaker (or PA) system, look at other products. This is only for people wanting to boost and/or split their headphone output.

Now, I agree with one-star reviews if you have a channel (it tends to be channel #1) that only provides static when used with headphones and there are a couple of those reviews out there. Luckily, all four channels on my device work flawlessly. If I lose a channel, this review (and the star rating I give it) will be adjusted accordingly. That being said, I'd still give this about four stars with a channel not working because I don't need four channels... I only need two. Anyway, on with the review.

BOTTOM LINE - A great little device that amplifies stereo input for headphones (AND) allows you to split the output into four seperate stereo channels, each with it's own volume control.

NOTE: This plays very nicely with the Hosa MHE325 Female TRS 1/8-Inch to Male TRS 1/4-Inch Headphone Adaper Cable (25 ft, ~$10) which allows you to position the box where you need it (i.e. near the TV) and gives you extra cord to reach across a room. You'll want one of these cables per channel (unless you want to use a splitter at the end)

Pro's
- Powerful & Compact
- Single-Channel Input to (up to) 4 channel (HEADPHONE level) output
- Individual volume controls for each channel
- Price
- Solid construction
- NOT battery powered

Con's
- Bright Red LED
- Always On

Review: I purchased this, like a lot of other reviewers to amplify sound from our television's audio out port to headphones.

We were using a long cable with a series of adapters and a splitter so we could have two sets of headphones and listen to the television quietly after the kiddos were in bed. Since our TV output is RCA, we needed to convert that to a 1/8" (female) stereo plug and then add in a splitter. Since the audio on the TV was a "line-out" port, we had no control over the volume and it was just barely loud enough to hear anything.

I eventually got frustrated with not hearing half of the conversations on our favorite programs and began to look for a full receiver that had a headphone output on the front that I could use. I really didn't cherish having to drop a couple of hundred dollars on a speaker system I'd hardly use.

I stumbled across this item by chance and decided at the low price point I'd give it a shot. I was very pleasantly surprised with the outcome. The box is very small and well constructed. It's very powerful (only needed the channel turned up less than a quarter of the way to hear it very loud and clear through our headphones).

My only real complaint is the little red LED on the front of the box is so bright, it distracts when the lights in the room are out and we are watching TV. I used a small piece of black electrical tape to cover it up and it's much better. Another minor gripe is the fact that there is no on-off switch so it's always on... but since my DVR is always on, this is a minor concern. We also plugged ours into our surge protector (which is highly recommended when working with sound equipment).

All in all, this is a wonderful little device that will definitely work nicely as a headphone amplifier and channel splitter. If you are need of something like this... Pyle has you covered.

If you are looking for something to power speakers, don't buy this. Look for a good PA system instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, September 17, 2013
Awesome! Works great. This simple device is perfect for military members. Just have to be sure to buy audio jack adapters.

Rate and Discover Movies