5.0 out of 5 stars Great!
UPDATE: 11/11/2011

Published on August 15, 2011 by J. Roberson

3.0 out of 5 stars Budget results from a budget heart rate monitor??
Published 6 months ago by Jessica Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, August 15, 2011
J. Roberson (Merrill, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pyle Sports PHRM38BK Heart Rate Monitor Watch with 3D Walking/Running Sensor (Health and Beauty)
UPDATE: 11/11/2011

I reviewed this product a few months ago, and I'm still keeping my rating. I have seen other reviews that said it stopped working, but they must've thrown away the manual that says to rub some water over it. As you sweat, you will get stuff on the chest strap, and the sensors won't work right. We take warm water with a little salt in it, and put it on. I have also used rubbing alcohol to keep it clean. If it isn't reading right away, I do that and it still works fine. Just wanted to update anyone who had been second guessing buying this because of some of the negative reviews. I will update again in a couple months.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks ago I bought a fitness watch with a chest strap that was $69.99. I put it on, wrapped the chest strap around me, worked out.... But somehow, even though this was supposedly brand new, I had already burned calories before I put it on... And then I couldn't reset the calorie burn to 0 after a workout. So, I returned it and got my $70 back. I was just going to go ahead and forget the heart rate monitor but I was doing some workout videos and wanted to track my calorie burn. I also was working out on the treadmill and elliptical and just wanted to make sure I was getting an accurate measurement. So, I did an Amazon search. I instantly clicked on this one because it was cheap (after my bad experience with the last one, I didn't want to waste more money). It included a chest strap, which is what I wanted. I just received it today. It was easy enough to set up... Includes a user profile with age and weight (although that is in kg and I am not sure if you can change iit to lbs yet, but a quick Google search to convert lbs to kg was easy enough). The chest strap detected my heart rate instantly. I pushed start on the timer and worked out. I found out during my video that I burned about 60 more calories than a calculator online said, so I was happy about that.

It's just great watch, and I am super happy with my purchase. It is a little bulky (I am a woman) but I don't care. I am sure I will just get used to it. It may be cheap, but not cheaply made.

By the way, the box said "Simple heart rate monitor" so if you are looking for something super advanced, check out their other products. I am just beginning my exercise routines and I mostly want my heart rate and calories burned, so it is perfect for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Budget results from a budget heart rate monitor??, July 13, 2014
I am a fitness professional that has personally been using a Polar rs300x for the passed two years to help track my training sessions. I decided to start looking for another heart rate monitor for my clients to use and did not want to spend a lot of money. The Pyle PHRM38GR had all the features that I was looking for; user settings, average and maximum heart rates as well as calories burned. For the price I thought it was a steal if it works. When the package arrived and I opened it I thought to myself the build quality looks kind of poor. The watch is somewhat over sized and cheaply crafted, so I started getting concerned with my purchase. When I put on the strap the watch immediately picked up a signal. Second thought was a little more positive than the first. As I sat there the display read a normal heart rate, I even compared it to the Polar at the same time, Then I sat there for and hour to see how many calories that I would burn. The polar displayed a number, but the Pyle did not. Then I got up and started walking around and it started registering some calories. I wasn't really sure what was going on but I started to get concerned again. Then the real test came when I wore the HRM during my workout. The Pyle displayed a maximum and average heart rate similar to the workout with the polar. Both HRMs also displayed similar calories burned. I tested the Pyle head to head to more times and each time it nearly matched the Polar. The Pyle appears to start counting calories once you reach an arbitrary point, I'm guessing 50% of your HR max, since anything lower than that isn't really exercise, the Pyle does come out as a steal for cheap and accurate heart rate monitor to use on clients. The results from client sessions have all been what I would expect to see, so again, it functions properly despite having a rather poor and cheap appearance. If you have a couple more dollars to spend I recommend the Pyle PHRM32, I purchased this after using the PHRM38GR and it has a much better build quality as well as all the same features plus more. If your budget is $25 or less this HRM is exactly what you are looking for then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine., August 10, 2011
I wanted something inexpensive that would help track calories burned during a workout. Does just that! Had it for a 3 weeks and have had no problems. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars No More Excuses, Fatty!, October 3, 2011
"Oh, but if I want a good workout, I'll need to know my heart rate to stay in "the zone" and those things cost too much. So I'll just sit on my robust derriere, counting spare tires and eating cheesecake."

I've used that excuse, too. Well quit delaying and click "Add to Cart".

Look, I'm just getting started. I don't need something fancy. I just need to know when I hit 160 bpm and where I top out and how many cheesecake slices I just burned off - Not many, sadly.

For less than half the price of more expensive units, this heart rate monitor gives you just as accurate a heart rate and calories burned. It may not be as fancy or pretty, but let's face it, neither are you these days. It just works and it's CHEAP!

Setup was easy even though the controls aren't too intuitive. You have to start the stopwatch to get the calories burned during a workout and stop it like lap times to check your progress (the overall clock will still keep counting until you reset). Some of you may only have one lap in you, that's ok. At least you're moving!

It's even got warning beeps at 160 bpm to let you know you're really getting your groove on and 80 bpm to remind you that you're a quitter. I like to do running/jogging cycles. When I hear the beeps I start running until 180ish then jog it back down to the beeps. I can't go much higher than 180 without feeling dizzy, and that's ok, because that threshold used to be 120 bpm!

The watch isn't bulky or heavy, but would it hurt if it was, flabby arms?

So if a heart rate monitor was your last excuse, it looks like you only have a couple more days of holding your breath in the mirror while it ships to you. Then it's time to get serious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal, August 6, 2013
The heart rate monitor does the trick. People are giving it way to low of reviews because they don't have the patience to sit down for 5 minutes and figure it out. I bought one for myself and one for my girlfriend. We have been using them to keep track of our heart rate and calories during our Insanity workouts. We have been using them for about a month and I have no complaints.

Are the instructions horrible? Of course they are. Does it not accurately read your heart rate and you think its garbage? Maybe, but did you wet the sensors before you put it on like you are suppose to? Probably not. For the price I don't think it can be beat. It is a good watch. Once you enter in all the info it needs, keeping track of your heart rate and calories burnt is literally two button clicks away. I wouldn't let the bad reviews chase you away from trying this out.

The only things that are true about some of the bad reviews is that the watch is "alittle" big but it is something you get used to after using it. And it is possible that the strap might be to big for some girls. It just fits around my girlfriends chest snug on the tightest adjustment. If you are smaller, it might not fit properly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Died after 3 months, March 22, 2012
I was so excited to start tracking my calorie count...the set up was easy and it was working fine for about 3 months. After that, my heart rate would be 90, then jump to 230! Now it fluctuates so randomly and has no rhyme or reason. I replaced the battery and even reset the watch and it hasn't helped. I'm very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Freaking Awesome, June 6, 2013
I purchased this about three months ago, it does the job. Its definitely a starter HRM but it does all I need it to do in my journey. I had to call and get help with getting the calorie count correct which is why I am giving it four stars. But after I got that part, its been smooth sailing. You will love it once you figure it out. I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, April 13, 2012
I love this HRM so far. A lot of workouts I do are not standard to know how many calories I burn. Now I can track any activities I do and when I'm working out at home I known exactly what I've burned instead of having to guess. Seems to be very accurate. The only thing I'm not a fan of is having to wear the chest strap. I am not sure if the more expensive ones require that? Either way it's not that bad. Worth the money and my friend just purchased one as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!!, August 19, 2011
This is a great watch. Does what it is intended to do and the price is incredible. I am very satisfied!

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, October 11, 2011
This device works as advertised. I've used it for short workouts for about a month. I used it on a 10 mile bike ride. The wrist band is not very comfortable. I like the large display.