Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on February 16, 2011
On the positive side the Pyramid PSV300 runs cool while supplying power to my 100W amateur radio rig.

The description says that the fan is thermostatically controlled - hmmm why does it run all the time? Thankfully its pretty quiet.

I have RFI suppression cores on the DC leads and on the USB line from my SignaLink modem. When I turn on the PSV300 the PSK-31 waterfall turns yellow! Same if the rig is running on another supply - turn on the PSV300 (anywhere in the room - on either circuit) and the waterfall goes yellow.

Yes there is a warranty and perhaps Pyramid would fix it but sending it to NJ along with $15 for return shipment isn't my idea of cost effective!

I would suggest that anyone having an application where RFI would be a problem purchase something else - a comparable MFJ power supply is less than $100.
55 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2010
This unit operated for about 6 months, then simply died.

Repeated emails to the manufacturer's "support" address have gone unanswered for two weeks so far.

The manufacturer's website [...] has no warranty information AT ALL, and their own retail website provides warranty information that disagrees with their own product packaging.

According to the product package literature, the "two year warranty" requires returning the product to pyramidcaraudio at your expense, and then you also have to send them $15 to pay for shipping the replaced/repaired product back. This could easily end up costing you half the cost of a new unit, and that's if you don't count your time for anything. And that's assuming that you actually get a working unit back, which given the firm's seemingly haphazard attitude toward warranties and customer service seems less than certain.
on October 8, 2009
Wow - what a workhorse. Have had mine running for a couple of months now and it works flawlessly! It runs my 100W ham radios with no strain. It's good enough that I now have one for the camper and one for the house! Highly recommended.
on July 18, 2009
Seriously surprised!!Was a bit sceptical judging from the size and weight of this power supply, consulted a local technician and he too was doubtfull that it can put out what it said it can (22-30 amp). With the confirm scepticisn i decided abandoned the psv300 and bought a more sturdy looking and with a more sophisticated appearance power supply ( Hurricane brand)which weighs four times that of the psv300. Hooked it up to a to a alpine'trpe R' 12inch sub and two 6*9 speakers powered by a MTX mono amp and Hifonics 400 watts amp and the damn power supply cuts off at barely at barely quater turn volume....what a big waste.
Decided to give the ps300 a try ... and boy the that power supply did not disappoint my amps, had my subs WORKING..,AMAZING
on April 15, 2011
Just got mine about 2 days ago, it has been on 24 hours a day on the Yaesu FT-857D. I ran it tonight, pretty hard, on PSK31 for about an hour at 90 watts out on the radio. The power supply worked great and never broke a sweat, the radio was a little warm though. It seems to be a good value. The reason I bought it was to replace two MFJ's that I went through in the last few months, I returned them both for refunds and got this. Hopefully it will out perform the MFJ's. They both had fan problems and started making a LOT of noise. I don't see or hear anything on the radio when using this power supply, it seems to run very clean power.
on June 9, 2010
I bought this for my shed. I have got a stereo, amp, 4 speakers and a 12 volt dc fridge running off of this and it doesnt even get warm. Best gadget I ever bought. I highly recoment it.
on December 29, 2011
This thing is cheap and works as described, but it's going to be useless for some applications.

First, the fan is described as thermostat controlled and you might think it only comes on when needed. But, that seems to be immediate -- as soon as the PS is on, the fan is on. It's sort of loud.

Secondly, and more importantly, as the power supply warms up the fan speeds up and/or other devices start to leak RF. This thing generates tons of RF noise across the entire HF spectrum, both in proximity to the device and also along the DC output power cables.

**So if you were hoping to use this power supply with amateur radio equipment, forget it.**

Buyer beware!
on December 25, 2009
The title says it all. I received my first unit, pluged it in, turned it on. I heard a spark internally, smelled burned electronics. No power light, no output.
Ordered replacement. Plugged it in, turned it on, I heard a small spark, but at least the power light was on. Checked output voltage, zero. Fairly loud buzzing sound, no output.

I have another pyramid regulated 14 amp P/S that has worked fine, but two in a row of this model did not work.

I will give credit to Amazon for prompt shipment of the replacment unit. Too bad it didn't work.
After two defectives, I think I'll choose a different brand.
on May 2, 2013
I shopped around a bunch and thought this was a good tradeoff of power and features. The description, the box, and even the manual talk about "fan control" and the fan adapting to the load on the device. It's a load, allright. The fan blasts full speed with no load, 80mA, or real amperage. It doesn't care. This is the honey badger of fans.

I chatted with AMZ before returning the first one, as I didn't want to get another unit with the same issue. The agent assured me it wouldn't, while avoiding my question if these units were known to have this problem. Replacement unit arrives--same problem.

I'm done. I went to the Jetstream JTPS45. More expensive, but better specs (45A) and a bunch of really nice features, not the least of which is that the fan is actually quiet when you're not drawing a ton of power.
on July 11, 2009
I was building a new emergency kit for ham radio, with a couple of 28aHr sealed lead acid batteries in one of those Stanley toolboxes with wheels, added a charger circuit (home brew) so that I could be running 12vdc off a power supply on 120vac, while safely recharging the batteries, or running the radios direct off either source depending on the availability of 120vac power.

With the extermely light weight, and narrow size (flat rectangular), it fits inside the toolbox bottom half with the 2 batteries and charging circuit harness, with plenty of space remaining. And the price, especially with free shipping, was extremely affordable for this project.

I had an older 20amp Astron power supply that weighed 20 pounds and was 3x as tall, that worked with the batteries, but it sure made the kit too heavy for easy toting around. This power supply is 30amp, and weighs about 1/3 the Astron. I'll be posting details photos of this project, when done, [...], including where to buy this amazing power supply from, Amazon.com of course.

Thanks Amazon for such a great deal!

73 de Lee N5NTG in San Antonio, TX