5.0 out of 5 stars Pyrex containers simplified my life
I had fairly recently invested in a set of Rubbermaid Premier containers when the news got out about BPA (bisphenol-A) leaching into foods from plastic.

I didn't want to invest in more plastic -- even grades of plastic that are currently considered safe. I decided to go with glass. And I'm glad I did.

This set is one of three that I purchased. I also...
Published on May 27, 2008 by DTK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an Airtight Seal
These containers are very convenient, but the tops are not airtight. I use the little ones for Kimchee and it will often spill with the lid on. Never expected that. I still like them and use them daily, but I have be very careful for carrying it full. Too bad that they didn't make the seals airtight. It's a shame, but otherwise it would be a 5-star product.
Published on October 4, 2008 by P. Park

5.0 out of 5 stars Pyrex containers simplified my life, May 27, 2008
This review is from: Pyrex 1073142 Rectangular Clear-Glass Food-Storage Containers with Blue Plastic Lids, Set of 3 (Kitchen)

This set is one of three that I purchased. I also bought the Pyrex Storage 18-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids and the Pyrex Storage 6-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids. With these three sets combined, I feel like I have all the containers I need for my family of 4.

I had feared that switching to glass -- although the right decision for me from a health-consciousness perspective -- would be the source of some headaches. I imagined having to be overly cautious with the containers, treating them super gently, worrying that they would slip out of the refrigerator and break, wondering how I would stack them in the cabinet without having them all fall down.

To my delight, this hasn't been the case at all. The manufacturer's claim that the glass is light-weight is fair. Obviously, these aren't as light as plastic containers, but they are very manageable.

Although I find myself using the round storage bowls from the other sets more than these rectangular ones, the pieces in this set are useful for those times when you have a piece of chicken or fish, asparagus, or something with an elongated shape. These containers fit those items nicely without requiring a huge round bowl.

These pieces are not as attractive as those in Pyrex's more fashionable lines, but I would have no qualms about serving from these at any casual meal. They look much nicer than anything plastic.

The Pyrex lids are, to me, an improvement over the lids that come with Rubbermaid plastic containers. First, each lid has a lip that runs all the way around the outer edge. This allows the bowls to be stacked safely on top of each other, whether in the cabinet or in the refrigerator. The storage bowl on top rests inside the lip of the bowl on bottom and won't slide off.

Also, the design of these lids makes them easier to clean. All the Rubbermaid container lids I've owned have had a very narrow opening on the outside edge where the container fits into the lid. These crevices can trap bits of food (usually sauces gone astray in my experience) and can be very difficult to clean. The Pyrex lids have a wide lip that can easily be wiped out.

Other reasons I am glad I replaced my plastic containers with these:

1. No more concern about harmful chemicals getting into my food.
2. I can microwave leftovers right in the storage container.
3. I can wash these in the top or bottom rack of my diswasher without any worries.
4. I can put fish, tomato sauce, whatever into these and not worry about them retaining stains or odors.

Buying these Pyrex sets was a bit of an investment, but now that we're being told you should replace plastic every few years since it breaks down with use, heat, etc., I figure I will make up the cost in the long run.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient size, April 26, 2008
The large container is perfect for storing a 1 pound block of cheese. The only down side with this product is that the lids leak badly (unlike the round storage containers). That said, I am buying more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an Airtight Seal, October 4, 2008
P. Park (jersey city, nj) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, maybe safer, April 19, 2008
We decided to replace our plastic containers because of rumors that heating them in the microwave could release some chemicals on the food. Don't really know if it's true, but just in case, we got rid of them. These containers are heavier than the plastic ones, of course, but they are sturdy, durable and very good looking. We are very happy with them.

3.0 out of 5 stars not airtight, April 26, 2009
babyGoo (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I own a lot of the round and rectangular Pyrex storage containers and am completely in love with them. They are sturdy, easy to clean, and great to use for my bento lunches or storing leftovers.

This particular set, however, was a bit disappointing because the lids don't seem to fit as snugly as other Pyrex containers. I use them to bake mini loaves of banana bread or other baked goods and they work great for that. But to get a better airtight seal, I've had to cover with saran wrap before putting the lid on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, long-lasting storage solution, November 3, 2009
Enigma (City of Subdued Excitement, USA) - See all my reviews
We have had the same Pyrex storage containers in our house for over twenty years. After two decades of nearly constant dishwasher cleaning, the lids are still usable and straight (not warped) but have finally cracked slightly on the rim itself. They actually still fit relatively tight and we are keeping them, but it is time for some new ones too.

I looked at the various options now available, and there is quite a variety to be sure. But I'm ordering more of these Pyrex storage containers. You just can't argue with results. Why mess around with plastic storage containers when there is such a quality, versatile, cheap and proven alternative as Pyrex. There is just no reason for me to consider any lesser products, not even based on price. Pyrex is inexpensive but still a high quality product. Glass lasts, and in the case of Pyrex containers, they are tough too. I've dropped them too many times to remember and the bowls themselves still look brand new, and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. If I found our old bowls on a store shelf today, I would have no way of knowing they were not brand-spanking new, other than the plastic lids.

Pyrex will not disappoint anyone looking for a dependable and simple storage solution. I highly recommend Pyrex products, they've never once let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pyrex- what more can you say?, October 12, 2008
the girls (thomasville ga) - See all my reviews
Will be ordering more - the square/rectangular shapes take up much less room in cupboards and the refrigerator since they store with less wasted space than round containers. Heavy, solid. You won't be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Always a winner., July 23, 2008
Have just purchased 2 of these sets to add to the other rectangular dishes with lids (many)I've been using for the past year or so. It's a pleasure to use them. Hopefully I'm going to part with much of my plasticware at this point. Wonderful way to organize the fridge and know where things are and what they are before they grow fuzz. Needless to say easy to wash and no stains or odors. Navy lids was a very good idea. Treat yourself you'll be happy you did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of too small..., September 12, 2008
They are so tiny that I cannot think of what I could store in them. I usually have larger amount of leftovers or other stuff I want to store in the fridge. The loaf container is much smaller than the regular bread loaf pan.

However, it's made of glass, cannot beat that. And they are durable. I just have to figure what other purpose to use them for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Earth Conscious, Smart Storage Solutions!, September 6, 2008
After years of using ziploc bags and other plastic storage containers, we were delighted to find these wonderful Pyrex refrigerator storage pieces. You can take the food from fridge to microwave or oven and never put another piece of plastic food storage in a landfill! Not only are you saving money, you are helping to save the earth every time you use a product like this instead of something that will take YEARS to decompose in a landfill.