4.0 out of 5 stars To all - Pyrex vs Anchor Hocking and a fact
Several of you have blasted Pyrex concerning their "shatter" problem and stating they would now be switching to Anchor Hocking.

I suggest you read this first, particularly paragraph 5.

[...]

I will repeat the relevant paragraph.....

"The End of Borosilicate the Start of Exploding Pyrex?

Corning currently licenses the...
Published on December 25, 2012 by M. N. Hatcher

1.0 out of 5 stars Both items arrived with broken lids
Ordered one set for Christmas this year, and it arrived on time by UPS. One of them had a broken lid, so I ordered a replacement set. This time, both of them arrived with broken lids. I doubt it is a reflection on Pyrex, and more of a reflection on either inadequate packing materials, or rough handling. Nonetheless, I will buy the next set in the store.
Published 11 months ago by da1975

4.0 out of 5 stars To all - Pyrex vs Anchor Hocking and a fact, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Pyrex Easy Grab 4-Piece Value Pack, includes 1-ea 3-qt Oblong, 2-qtOblong, Red Plastic Covers (Kitchen)

I suggest you read this first, particularly paragraph 5.

[...]

I will repeat the relevant paragraph.....

"The End of Borosilicate the Start of Exploding Pyrex?

Corning currently licenses the use of the Pyrex brand name to World Kitchen LLC for sale in the United States, having sold its Pyrex cookware manufacturing to Borden KKR in 1997. The other main competitor in this field is Anchor Hocking Glass Co., which has made a similar soda lime silicate glass product for over 60 years. Both World Kitchen and Anchor Hocking now use the soda lime silicate glass instead of the original Pyrex borosilicate glass composition."

I read another article on MSNBC less than 2 weeks ago that devoted time to a discussion of the "instructions" for using this glass cookware and just how easy it is for those who fail to heed these instructions to end up with shattered glass.

I am not suggesting that all instances of shattered glass are user error but I personally know people who have misused this cookware and had it explode. The most common problem is attempting to roast a chicken or other meat by adding NO or insufficient liquid to the cookware. If the bottom of the cookware becomes dry, yes, it could explode. Glass cookware is not the same as a roasting pan.

One should either heed the instructions carefully or should consider not buying glass cookware at all. It is obvious our glass cookware, Pyrex or A-H, is not the same as years ago and the rules have changed.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Pyrex for new people?, January 19, 2013
I was diffident about making this purchase, considering some of the negative reviews about the so called "new Pyrex" and its propensity for breakage, or as some people so graphically described it, explosions. Eventually though, it was the competitive price point, the covers, the sizes, and of course, the brand that made me risk it.

And I'm glad I did. I've been using it for a solid month or so now, and pretty frequently at that. No breakage, no damage, no cracking, no overheating, no destroyed meals or lacerated body parts. Just good, evenly heated, food. And a nice looking cooking utensil.

About the covers not fitting, again, something I did not experience. Maybe I got lucky, I like to hope that happens some times, but if my experience were any indication, it might be worth taking the risk. Shipped quickly and in perfect condition.

P.S: I hope I haven't jinxed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Pyrex!, August 20, 2012
I was quite pleased when I came across this two pack. I've yet to be disappointed by the quality of Pyrex products and I felt that being able to purchase two casserole dishes for under $20 was a nice deal. One thing that initially put me off about them was the unusual design of the plastic lid, but after one use with the 3qt oblong made me realize that it does a good job of what it was designed for. Keeping things in. They do tend to sit fairly close to the top of the casserole, if you are making something that fills the dish and is particularly messy, you may want to keep that in mind. In general, I'm happy with the purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Both items arrived with broken lids, January 2, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars don't ever buy this if you value your life, October 9, 2012
UR Kiddin (Waltham, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Purchased this two months ago. Baked with it twice. But today, while cooking a chicken in a conventional oven the glass baking dish exploded into many pieces. What a shock. My mother used Pyrex and never had this happen. Just grateful it didn't explode around the kids. After this happened, found it online as a common occurrence. Pyrex should not be able to sell their exploding bakewear to unsuspecting consumers.

Followup: Pyrex has a designated hotline taking phone calls from distressed customers. The person is nice, compassionate and sent me extra items besides replacing the dish. However,
I don't think there should be ANYTHING in our kitchen that could shatter glass everywhere without warning and possibly injure someone. They have known about this for a long time.

1.0 out of 5 stars EXPLOSION - Small pyrex dish EXPLODED, March 11, 2013
Before I bought this item I read one reviewer's comment that her dish exploded. I thought that was a fluke or that her dish had been taken from the freezer cold and immediately put in the oven to cook. I now must reevaluate my thought process. My partner was aware of the caveat not to put a cold pyrex plate in the oven. He was making a peach cobbler and the dish was room temperature. He preheated the oven and did everything correctly. He placed the dish in the oven to cook and within 30 minutes the darn thing exploded. Just yesterday I cooked a dish in the larger pyrex and it turned out fine, but after this I will not use it to cook again. I'll just use it to hold cold dishes like potato salad, green salads or deviled eggs. The mess and potential to destroy an oven or to hurt someone is too great. I don't know if it will be worthwhile to contact the pyrex people directly but buyer please be careful if you buy this product.

FOLLOW UP: I called Pyrex Customer service and told them of the incident. After verifying my partner did all the right things, they are sending me a replacement dish (I still will not use it for any hot food items) and one or two other things for the loss of the peach cobbler.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blew up into many small sharp pieces, April 3, 2013
I took out meat from soup, placed that meat into the product and... it blew up into many small sharp pieces covering about 5 yards in diameter...

5.0 out of 5 stars Pyrex Easy Grab 4-Piece Value Pack w/covers, May 31, 2013
I purchsed these for my son when he moved out and he uses them often as he is now the "chef". He likes them very much and the price was great. Good product for a good price. Thanks Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is just okay, June 3, 2013
Amanda Coffin (Dover, Delaware) - See all my reviews
These containers do contain the food you put inside, but the lid doesn't latch tightly. I feel like it is really just sitting on top of the container for the most part. It does snap around the lip of the casserole dish, but it is VERY loose. Also if the dish is full or even a little too full it will not latch at all. Other containers would close and stay closed, this lid does not. As far baking something in it, it works fine. Just not the best choice at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing Defect, January 21, 2014
My baking dishes arrived with both plastic lids split and broken. This was not Amazon's fault - the item was bubble wrapped and securely packaged, and the shipping container was undamaged. The fault lies with Pyrex - the lids were broken because they're made of a rigid but thin plastic, and they're packaged at the factory in a manner which almost assures they will be broken by the time they reach the consumer. The cost of replacing the lids is more than the cost of the dish set.