5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Workhorse
This is one of the basic kitchen elements. This is the official brownie and small casserole pan. If you don't believe in cast iron for cornbread, this is the next best thing. It is so handy and almost indestructible. It is your oven's best friend.

Cleans up easy, if you butter the dish before adding your ingredients. It's also dishwasher safe.
Published on February 16, 2008 by NuJoi

1.0 out of 5 stars SHATTERS
In case you haven't read the January issue of Consumer Reports yet, let me summarize: The American makers of "Pyrex" bought only the "Pyrex" name, and have applied it to an entirely different, cheaper product, which is more likely to shatter from heat. The European Pyrex still uses the traditional Pyrex formula and is as heat-resistant as always.

"We baked at...
Published on December 6, 2010 by Tom o'Bedlam

1.0 out of 5 stars SHATTERS, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Pyrex Grip-Rite 8-Inch Square Baking Dish, Clear (Kitchen)

"We baked at least five samples of each brand in a 450-degree oven. All of the U.S. Pyrex and Anchor dishes shattered when placed on the wet countertop. None of the European dishes ... broke"

Amazon sells the European product: [ASIN:B002KHNQ3E Arcuisine Elegance Glass 2.8 Quart Rectangular Baker] as well as: [ASIN:B0016LQ01K Marinex 5-1/2-Quart Prediletta Deep Rectangular Baking Dish]

1.0 out of 5 stars really 7x7 inches, February 5, 2011
This review is from: Pyrex Grip-Rite 8-Inch Square Baking Dish, Clear (Kitchen)
I love pyrex but I don't know what they were thinking with this re-design. The new Grip Rite has wider handles which to me were unnecessary and only create more baked-on surface to clean. The dish itself is now tapered, unlike the old model. It may measure 8x8 at the top but it measures only 7x7 on the bottom. Not ideal for even baking, especially if one were going to create layers for a cake. I want a pan that is truly 8x8 and will now look at other brands instead. Disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars It shattered :(, March 7, 2012
This review is from: Pyrex Grip-Rite 8-Inch Square Baking Dish, Clear (Kitchen)
Ok, I bought this without reading the reviews because it's....Pyrex. Been using it for years, my mom has used it since I know I was at least 10 (and before), so for over 30 years. Pyrex is a great brand. Well, was?

Anyhow, baked a Homestyle Bake in this. 425 degrees. And it shattered.

Amazon however was very nice. Just got off the phone with an awesome customer service rep who refunded my money. I kept laughing, I couldn't help it.... yes, dinner got ruined, but to me it was just...funny in the end. It's Pyrex!!! But, like others have posted, this particular version (the US version apparently) isn't so good anymore.

So, if you have one and it shatters (I said exploded, but shatter is a better word), and bought it from Amazon, call them. I also took a picture in case they need it for anything.

So...experience with this dish? Horrible, 1 star. Experience with Amazon? Amazing, as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Workhorse, February 16, 2008
NuJoi "Create with me" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

1.0 out of 5 stars Danger This Exploded in My Oven, September 30, 2011
This review is from: Pyrex Grip-Rite 8-Inch Square Baking Dish, Clear (Kitchen)
This exploded in my oven and I followed all instructions. Complaints to the manufacturers bring no replies.

Do not buy!!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Pyrex has lost its way, January 9, 2011
D Darkman (New York State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pyrex Grip-Rite 8-Inch Square Baking Dish, Clear (Kitchen)
I've been baking with Pyrex for more than 30 years. I won't buy any, again.

This pyrex tray, you may notice if you examine the photo very very carefully, has lots of imbedded or raised designs and letters on it. That means:

1) Much more effort to clean

2) Can never be cleaned really well

3) Over time, is guaranteed to collect brown baked-on dirt that simply will not come off, because there are so many corners and edges around all the designs and writing.

My OLDER Pyrex dishes, this size and other sizes, had the tiny word "Pyrex" about an inch long on the bottom, and a few tiny numbers on it. That's how it should be.

This NEW dish, has a big huge "PYREX" embossed on its underside, within a rectangular embossed area. What's worse, on the underside of the handles (absolutely guaranteed to get dirty!) they've added more embossed writing. Baked on oils are already making a mess of my new pyrex, and I'm a fastidious cleaner.

(I've had the new set about 1/2 year... my older set, I keep immaculately clean using those 3M green pads that substitute for steel wool. Already the new set is grimier than my old set, although I use it sparingly.)

Pyrex has also sharpened up some of the corners that previously had a greater "curvature" to them -- meaning these corners will be harder to clean too, e.g. where the handles connect to the pan.

What this indicates to me, is that Pyrex is spending too much thought on emblazoning their products with the logo, to make sure you remember the brand name -- rather than actually designing a product that will function well the way you should need it to function.

Do not buy this product. Instead, try an Anchor Hocking backing dish... although look for one without any ribbing, in my opinion. Or go for one of the opaque white glass type baking pans. Avoid Pyrex brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Cornbread Baking Dish, April 26, 2009
Pyrex Grip-Rite 8-Inch Square Baking Dish, Clear
This is my altime favorite oven dish. I like it for casseroles, corn bread,bacon-filled acorn squash halves and stuffed bell peppers. It lasts forever and holds an even heat. Thanks. Now I have a pair.
Eagle2talon Oakridge, OR

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for a name brand, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Pyrex Grip-Rite 8-Inch Square Baking Dish, Clear (Kitchen)
I always thought of Pyrex as an elite glass brand, but this purchase might have changed my mind. Unfortunately, the bottom of this baking pan was slightly convex instead of flat. That wouldn't be an issue if you're baking a cake or brownies; however, I bought this specifically to make rice noodles, which require a thin amount of batter spread evenly across the bottom of the dish. But when I poured the batter, it rolled off into the corners first and left the center very thin, which ruined the noodles. I've already ordered another dish from another manufacturer, and hopefully I'll have better results. As for this one, though, I'm very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars SAME ONE YOU GREW UP WITH, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Pyrex Grip-Rite 8-Inch Square Baking Dish, Clear (Kitchen)
Back in the day, I think Pyrex had the monopoly on glass cookware. Now there are a million brands, but Pyrex still builds them like a tank. THICK and HEAVY.
They will take a beating and they don't break easily.

2.0 out of 5 stars smashed, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Pyrex Grip-Rite 8-Inch Square Baking Dish, Clear (Kitchen)
this dish did me ok for a while, but then it smashed - well, exploded would be more accurate. it lasted maybe 7 months, which isn't very long. annoying!