5.0 out of 5 stars awesome!
Published on July 28, 2006 by K. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for pouring
You can not pour out of this. I make a white sauce and I want to pour the broth into the sauce while i whisk with the other hand. I always have broth all over my stove. The only time you can pour somewhat decently is when the container is only half full. Also, the lit doesn't fit very tightly at all.
Published on June 21, 2012 by Bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome!, July 28, 2006
Pyrex is always the best! This enormous measuring cup is great for melting in the microwave and for a homemade double boiler in any pot. The lid is a hard plastic top with flexible sides that seal up tight so you can use it to store things in the fridge and to carry things places. Also the cover is safe for both freezer and microwave use (but not the oven) and is dishwasher safe in the top rack. The cover has three pouring choices, a regular pour spout, a slotted spout, and a spout with seven little holes. An extremely useful item to have in the kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Better Batter Bowl, March 7, 2008
As mentioned before, this cup is huge! I was using my 4 cup Pyrex cup for mixing pancake batter and thought how nice it would be if they made a bigger one. I came here to search for a batter bowl that I saw once and the Pyrex 8 cup measuring cup was included in the search results.

I like to make a big batch of waffles or pancakes to freeze and this cup works great because I can mix a lot of batter at once and pour it into the waffle maker or on the griddle. The pouring spout makes this easier and a lot less messy than dipping the batter out. I used it today to mix cornbread batter and had plenty of room in the cup to stir without worrying about batter splashing out of it. The cup also works well for whipping egg whites, yes there really is that much room! There's also enough room in the cup to make a sponge for sourdough breads.

The reversed measurements outside the cup allow you to look inside rather than bending to get at eye level, but I've been doing it the old way for so long, I rarely think to go by the inside markings. Maybe one day.

This would work well for someone with limited space as it apparently (based on other reviews) can be used for a number of things.

Though I may not use it much, the lid has a snug and tight fit on the cup.

The Pyrex 8 cup measuring cup is a sturdy multi-purpose kitchen tool that gets my recommendation!

4.0 out of 5 stars Basically the same as before, August 12, 2012
Gadget-Happy (Naples, Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
After reading here that Pyrex was no longer good old Pyrex, I was hesitant, but decided to take the chance. My new 8-cup is almost the same as my old one. World Kitchen has gone to some lengths to make clear that they have not changed the formula, but there are some slight differences in the design or execution.

First, anyone using Pyrex, old or new, needs to know that this is not Corningware you're working with. You never could take a hot Pyrex item and put it right in the fridge, or vice versa, or it would break. I use my 8-cup for boiling milk for yogurt in the microwave. It's fine for that. I take it out gently and leave it on a wooden surface, cork trivet, etc., until it's cool enough to handle. If I want to put the very hot milk in the fridge, I transfer it to another container (also Pyrex, but one that's room temperature).

Issues: The handle on my new cup is somehow sharper than the old. Not sharp enough to cut, but enough that it gave me pause. The spout might be very slightly differently shaped -- hard to tell. It spills slightly if you don't hold a steady hand. I'm always careful pouring hot liquids anyway, so it's hard to tell if it spills significantly more than the old one.

The difficulty some are having with the lid seems to me to be caused by the lid fitting really well. It is soft flexible rubberlike, not hard plastic. When you set it down on the cup, it creates an air pocket that can't escape, so the lid won't go down all the way in some positions. If you keep the full open part over the spout, the air can get out and it closes fine. If you keep no hole, or just the little "straining" holes over the spout, the lid can't go all the way down because not enough air can get out. I haven't tried straining anything through those holes in the lid, but they look pretty useless to me.

If you buy the measuring cup, note that the use instructions are behind the label. The label is not clear about this. It says "Read safety and usage instructions on back before using." But it doesn't say 'on the back of this label,' and there is no image of a turned corner on the label, so I bet a lot of people look on the back of the cup, don't find anything, shrug and give up. You need to read the instructions, and World Kitchen could not have printed them in any smaller or paler font. I had to take a magnifying glass to read it, and will save you that bother: It says,

"WARNING. No sudden temperature changes. No stovetop or broiler use. Do not overheat oil or butter. Microwave and dishwasher safe. For more information, visit pyrexware.com or call 1-800-999-3436. Pyrex is a registered trademark of Corning Incorporated, used under license by World Kitchen, LLC."

It's worth visiting the website to reassure yourself that they have kept the same formula as Corning had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than you think..., May 11, 2007
Wow this is a BIG measuring cup, you can mix a whole cake in it! Super convenient as you can whip up a batch of something, pour out what you want right then, and throw it in the fridge to cook a little more the next day. Make sure you also have a smaller measuring cup around for jobs that don't require trucking this thing out. I also like that the stuff from Pyrex doesn't have the "seams" in glass that some of the cheaper, similar brands do from the way they were manufactured. It keeps food from being caught in them and looks better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avoid toil and trouble and have space for the bubble......, November 18, 2008
I purchased this 8 cup measuring bowl as a replacement for a broken one, and since Amazon offered me a deal, I purchased two of them. I could make a long list of its fine attributes and usefulness, however suffice to say that I would NEVER be without one of these in my kitchen ; it is an essential for me to make custards, puddings and sauces in the microwave.....nothing else provides the extra room for bubble ups, shows how much you have, and has the nice handle for handling hot bowls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really like this bowl for making yogurt, May 27, 2011
C. G. King (Horse Country, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I call this a bowl because it's a pretty huge measuring cup, functioning as both that and a mixing bowl. Best of all, it goes in the microwave. My main goal in buying this cup was to have something to measure milk and also heat it when starting yogurt. Most vessels this size are too tall to fit in the microwave or metal or plastic, and/or unmarked which made my yogurt prep more complicated than I wanted. I was moving the milk from one container to another and I knew the process could be easier if I just had the right vessel. This wonderful big cup has met my needs completely.

I like the straight'ish sides which means the cup has a large base and won't be tipping. The other feature that makes this the cup of choice is that the handle is open at the bottom (doesn't attach to the bowl). The handle is very sturdy but because it's open, the bowl is easier to store. It can be nested with other bowls and pots in the cupboard. The red measurements are very easy to see for right or left-handers.

Although I haven't used the lid yet, it is nice to have the several available options. It fits snugly so the contents can be sealed in there securely. The lid can be put on the cup so that it is closed completely or so that the contents can be poured openly or poured through either strainer holes or slots so as to hold back ice or whatever. You have to remove the lid and reinstall it in the position of choice rather than turning it once on, but it holds quite well due to the flexible silicon-like edge that fits into the cup. Since the lid is not domed, it is also easy to store when not needed. I put mine in the drawer that holds my other lids. I anticipate using this bowl with the lid to make sun tea among other things. I'm very satisfied with the purchase and would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kitchen tool, even if Pyrex is no longer really Pyrex, September 10, 2012
I bought this impressive measuring cup for my home-brewing projects, but have already ended up using it for a lot of other things. I'm aware that "Pyrex" was bought out years ago by a company that decided to "maximize shareholder value" by using cheaper materials, so Pyrex glass measuring cups are no longer heat-proof, so I would never put this thing in the microwave like we can do if we're still fortunate enough to own one that used to belong to Grandma. But it's very handy when you need something that measures large quantities of liquids, is non-reactive, and has a handle and a spout.

The lid is very interesting, somehow rigid plastic on top, gradually segueing to soft silicon on the sides so that it seals to the glass so that you could, if you wanted to, store things in the refrigerator in it. I only use it as a spoon-rest, myself, but I just thought it was so cool it was worth mentioning.

One caveat about pouring from this thing: this cup is heavy, and a gallon of liquid is even heavier, and liquid, once in motion, wants to remain in motion. So unless you have very strong hands and arms and incredible fine-muscle control, there is no way you're going to be able to pour from this or any large, spouted vessel in a controlled manner into, say, a narrow-mouthed bottle. I wouldn't even do that with a small measuring cup, but especially with this large a measuring cup, if it is full, use a funnel. Or pour into a wide-mouthed container only. And even then, be very very careful until the liquid level is down to about four cups or so. This is not a fault in the design of the spout - this is how it is with any large quantity of liquid or any large vessel that is completely full.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it !, May 31, 2007
Lizzi B "liz" (White Mtns. NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Lid and Measurements (Kitchen)
I absolutely love it. I have the 4 cup one also. They are easy to read, and the best part is the lid. Great for melting butter in the microwave and not have to worry about splatters. The lid also strains as well as pours, so there is less mess. I'm so glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Ice Tea, May 12, 2007
Our electricity rates are very high in Maryland, so instead of turning the electric stove on to boil water for making ice tea, I use the pyrex measuring cup in the microwave oven. It makes great tea and no problems in preparing the tea

5.0 out of 5 stars Every bit a Pyrex product as it could be!, November 29, 2010
BonJo (So. CA USA) - See all my reviews
I recently ordered & received my Pyrex Prepware 8-cup glass measuring cup with red lid to use for making large batches of yogurt (9 cups) in my Waring Pro yogurt maker (also purchased at Amazon.com) and I could not be more pleased. When I make yogurt I need to heat the milk to 185 degrees in the microwave and I don't like to heat it in my larger plastic measuring cups (just a concern about heating foods in plastic-better safe than sorry is my outlook, and I don't heat the milk with the lid on).

Anyway, prior to getting this Pyrex 8-cup I would heat the milk in a ceramic mixing bowl but, after the milk cooled to 110 degrees, I would need to move it to a plastic container with a spout to pour into the individual cups...a bit inconvenient. Now I can do everything in one glass dish, from heating the milk, cooling it, adding the dry milk & yogurt starter, to pouring the mix into the individual yogurt cups....very cool!

As for another reviewer's problem with their Pyrex that they feel is "junk"; I'm not sure what happened there. Perhaps they received the wrong product or something? In any case, if you have any concerns, I would check out the Pyrex web site ([…]) where they address "rumors" of poor quality, including the fact that Pyrex products are still made in the U.S. as it has been for over 60 years, and by union labor. Awesome!! I'm soooo glad to hear that another product is still made in the Good 'Ol U.S. of A!

Happy Holidays!

Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Lid and Measurements
$11.79 $9.43
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies