1,982 Reviews
 (1,518)

Published on September 12, 2010 by B. Nguyen

1.0 out of 5 stars New design is a messy mess
I have been using pyrex brand for years. The new measuring cups are a bad design. They measure fine until you need to empty the contents out. The new and improved spout spills all down the front and all over the counter, stove, or floor no matter how fast or slow you pour it.

Published on April 9, 2012 by Howdy Partner

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use measuring cup, but do not treat it the same way as vintage Pyrex glassware., September 12, 2010
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Measurements (Kitchen)
I needed a small measuring cup and decided to purchase a Pyrex brand one because I already had a nice old large quart sized Pyrex measuring cup that had outlasted many other measuring cups which I got tired of replacing constantly. To make sure that my new measuring cup would last, I did some investigation on the new "Pyrex" brand of glassware. Corning Glass Works the company that manufactured the Pyrex line had sold the name to another company in the late 90s and there were reports of this newer glassware exploding/breaking. The explosions were a result of the new glassware being made of a different type of glass compared to the vintage Pyrex glassware which was made of borosilicate glass (the same type used in laboratory glassware abused by students and scientists). It was also a result of users not following instructions from the manufacturer (instructions who needs instructions? Uh oh... it blew up).

But some people are used to using the old Pyrex glassware in ways that the newer type of glass would not be compatible with. That type of usage almost always involved thermal shock or rapid change in temperature such as placing hot glassware onto a cold surface, putting hot glassware with burnt-on food into the sink to soak, placing refrigerated glassware into a preheated oven, etc. The borosilicate glass originally used to make Pyrex glassware had a low thermal expansion coefficient which made it more resistant to rapid temperature changes compared to the new tempered soda lime glass now in use. It is understandable that the company had to cut costs by using a low-cost type of glass in order to survive, but they should also remember that consumers have a habit of using their product in a certain way (hey habits are hard to break).

With that problem sorted out, I purchased the measuring cup and read the instructions/warnings before using it.

For most uses in the kitchen, the new measuring cup works great on most types of ingredients. It also has the clear measurement markings in metric and US units plus a comfortable handle similar to older Pyrex designs. The only issue I had was how to measure out boiling hot liquids for something like making Jello because this would mean that the glass is being exposed to a rapid temperature change. The way around this problem is to start with the liquid at room temperature, measure out the amount needed, and heating it up in the microwave. It felt inconvenient to have to wait for liquids to cool for measuring and then reheating it, but I had to break the old routine of pouring hot liquids into a measuring cup.

In any case, this is still a good measuring cup that is still made in the United States (hooray for supporting domestic jobs & reducing the amount of fuel used to transport it to consumers). The measuring cup is made of thick glass with bold, easy to read markings and a solid handle. It is also easier to clean than plastic measuring cups that tend to stain and absorb odors. Just remember not to expose the measuring cup to rapid temperature changes and it should last just as long as any other piece of old Pyrex glassware. Though I still wish Corning or World Kitchen would produce a measuring cup made of durable borosilicate glass.

5.0 out of 5 stars I know, I know, it's just a measuring cup!, July 1, 2005
I must be getting old, as today I dropped my Pyrex 1 Quart Measuring Cup from a cupboard about 10 feet up and guess what, it didn't break, and I was very excited! I've bought dozens of measuring cups over the years and have managed to melt, break, tarnish and mutilate each and every one of them. This one seems to be up to the challenge. I've used it to melt butter and left it in the microwave too long, washed it a dozen times in the dishwasher, used a whisk in it (I love the sheer size of this thing!). Not a scratch on it! I know, I know, it's just a measuring cup. But quality does matter, and this one is top notch!

1.0 out of 5 stars New design is a messy mess, April 9, 2012
Howdy Partner (Highland, UT USA#1) - See all my reviews

I have a 1 cup, 2 cup, 4 cup, 6 cup, and 8 cup, they are all messy to use. I have lost or broken my old ones and noticed the new design and did not know it would be such a pain. I contacted Pyrex and they told me that they test them out and have not had any complaints. I love their other products but I am trying out other brands of measuring cups. I just hate making an unnecessary mess on top of my mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Better Batter Bowl, March 7, 2008
As mentioned before, this cup is huge! I was using my 4 cup Pyrex cup for mixing pancake batter and thought how nice it would be if they made a bigger one. I came here to search for a batter bowl that I saw once and the Pyrex 8 cup measuring cup was included in the search results.

I like to make a big batch of waffles or pancakes to freeze and this cup works great because I can mix a lot of batter at once and pour it into the waffle maker or on the griddle. The pouring spout makes this easier and a lot less messy than dipping the batter out. I used it today to mix cornbread batter and had plenty of room in the cup to stir without worrying about batter splashing out of it. The cup also works well for whipping egg whites, yes there really is that much room! There's also enough room in the cup to make a sponge for sourdough breads.

The reversed measurements outside the cup allow you to look inside rather than bending to get at eye level, but I've been doing it the old way for so long, I rarely think to go by the inside markings. Maybe one day.

This would work well for someone with limited space as it apparently (based on other reviews) can be used for a number of things.

Though I may not use it much, the lid has a snug and tight fit on the cup.

The Pyrex 8 cup measuring cup is a sturdy multi-purpose kitchen tool that gets my recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome!, July 28, 2006
Pyrex is always the best! This enormous measuring cup is great for melting in the microwave and for a homemade double boiler in any pot. The lid is a hard plastic top with flexible sides that seal up tight so you can use it to store things in the fridge and to carry things places. Also the cover is safe for both freezer and microwave use (but not the oven) and is dishwasher safe in the top rack. The cover has three pouring choices, a regular pour spout, a slotted spout, and a spout with seven little holes. An extremely useful item to have in the kitchen!

1.0 out of 5 stars 1-cup or so, September 27, 2009
jeffnick (Upstate Manhattan) - See all my reviews
This is a great cup, except for one little thing: the measurements are wrong! 1 cup, according to this measuring cup, is actually closer to 7/8 cup. I have compared it to older PYREX measuring cups (2 cup and 4 cup sizes), as well as to a variety of other measuring cups. The other measuring cups are all consistent, both Pyrex and non-Pyrex. But the measurements provided by this 1-cup Pyrex cup are consistently too low.

What is most astonishing to me is that none of the other reviewers has remarked about this. I hope that others will now test their own cups - it would be nice to know whether perhaps Pyrex's 1-cup measuring cups in general are okay, and I happened to end up with the lone defective unit. My measuring technique: I use the bottom of the meniscus (the curve in the surface of the liquid), which is how I was taught to do it in Chemistry and Biology laboratories. I have also compared the weights of 1 cup of room temperature water, as determined on a digital cooking scale, and found the weight of this cup's contents to be less than that of a cup as measured by other measuring cups.

1.0 out of 5 stars This cup LITERALLY EXPLODED in my microwave yesterday!!, December 24, 2010
The name Pyrex as well as Anchor Hocking are names we all have associated with quality glass products used in the kitchen for many years. What a shock when this very cup exploded in my microwave yesterday. Fortunately no injuries - just a mess to clean up. Wow is all I can say. I have had the cup for several years and use it daily to heat water for tea, and never quite to boiling. WOW!!!

So I took it upon myself as a consumer to find out what was the problem. Would you believe this has happened to thousands of others? Let me tell you why and refer you to the January 2011 Issue of Consumer Reports beginning on page 44. It does a much better job of explaining the problem than I could ever do. Below is a quick summary of what I have discovered.

Apparently about 12 years ago Corning sold its Pyrex name and manufacturing operations to company called, "World Kitchen". Who knew?
Well according to the in depth article they switched the glass from something borosilicate to a much cheaper to produce glass known as lime soda. There have been THOUSANDS of documented cases of Pyrex cookware literally exploding sometimes causing serious injury over the last 10 years. Our government is very aware of this problem yet no warnings or action has been taken to protect the innocent public consumer. So what else is new? I can think of many things from tainted meat and eggs to lead contaminated toys from China that we have been subjected to in the last few years. This is just one more.

So now if you have gone this far you are now fully aware of the problem. If you choose to ignore what has happened to Pyrex and Anchor Hocking products then as they always say, "Let the buyer beware". From reading the article I have found that a safe product does exist on the market. It is produced by a French company called Arcuisine. More money of course. But I don't want anything exploding in my hands or into my face made of glass, so I guess I must pay the price to be safe. Now you know why the Pyrex products are so cheap - and they aren't produced in China - or are they? According to the article all manufacturing for Pyrex products is done in Charleroi, PA. But now I'm even suspicious of that claim. After all China is a much cheaper place to manufacture most things. And who would know?

Let the buyer beware. Your government is not going to protect you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, May 4, 2007
I have always used pyrex glass measuring cups, so when my old one-cup cup broke I wanted to replace it. I'm very disappointed with the design of the new cup. The cup itself will probably hold two cups of liquid. It only has markings for up to one cup. The cup is very short and wide. This makes the markings so close together they are hard to read and hard to pour the precise of liquid I need. I bought another one that I like. I can't imagine why Pyrex made this cup like this. I would have never believed I would review a measuring cup, but this one was so bad I decided to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basically the same as before, August 12, 2012
Gadget-Happy (Naples, Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
After reading here that Pyrex was no longer good old Pyrex, I was hesitant, but decided to take the chance. My new 8-cup is almost the same as my old one. World Kitchen has gone to some lengths to make clear that they have not changed the formula, but there are some slight differences in the design or execution.

First, anyone using Pyrex, old or new, needs to know that this is not Corningware you're working with. You never could take a hot Pyrex item and put it right in the fridge, or vice versa, or it would break. I use my 8-cup for boiling milk for yogurt in the microwave. It's fine for that. I take it out gently and leave it on a wooden surface, cork trivet, etc., until it's cool enough to handle. If I want to put the very hot milk in the fridge, I transfer it to another container (also Pyrex, but one that's room temperature).

Issues: The handle on my new cup is somehow sharper than the old. Not sharp enough to cut, but enough that it gave me pause. The spout might be very slightly differently shaped -- hard to tell. It spills slightly if you don't hold a steady hand. I'm always careful pouring hot liquids anyway, so it's hard to tell if it spills significantly more than the old one.

The difficulty some are having with the lid seems to me to be caused by the lid fitting really well. It is soft flexible rubberlike, not hard plastic. When you set it down on the cup, it creates an air pocket that can't escape, so the lid won't go down all the way in some positions. If you keep the full open part over the spout, the air can get out and it closes fine. If you keep no hole, or just the little "straining" holes over the spout, the lid can't go all the way down because not enough air can get out. I haven't tried straining anything through those holes in the lid, but they look pretty useless to me.

If you buy the measuring cup, note that the use instructions are behind the label. The label is not clear about this. It says "Read safety and usage instructions on back before using." But it doesn't say 'on the back of this label,' and there is no image of a turned corner on the label, so I bet a lot of people look on the back of the cup, don't find anything, shrug and give up. You need to read the instructions, and World Kitchen could not have printed them in any smaller or paler font. I had to take a magnifying glass to read it, and will save you that bother: It says,

"WARNING. No sudden temperature changes. No stovetop or broiler use. Do not overheat oil or butter. Microwave and dishwasher safe. For more information, visit pyrexware.com or call 1-800-999-3436. Pyrex is a registered trademark of Corning Incorporated, used under license by World Kitchen, LLC."

It's worth visiting the website to reassure yourself that they have kept the same formula as Corning had.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not get the one-quart size!! It's a mess, July 20, 2012
The one-quart size pyrex measuring cup, with its squatty shape, is cute but somehow the physics behind the design causes the liquid inside to pour all over the place. You will get about a quarter cup on the counter and maybe the rest into where it was supposed to go. We regret this purchase and would not buy this again