Published on September 12, 2010 by B. Nguyen

1.0 out of 5 stars This cup LITERALLY EXPLODED in my microwave yesterday!!
Published on December 24, 2010 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use measuring cup, but do not treat it the same way as vintage Pyrex glassware., September 12, 2010
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Measurements (Kitchen)
I needed a small measuring cup and decided to purchase a Pyrex brand one because I already had a nice old large quart sized Pyrex measuring cup that had outlasted many other measuring cups which I got tired of replacing constantly. To make sure that my new measuring cup would last, I did some investigation on the new "Pyrex" brand of glassware. Corning Glass Works the company that manufactured the Pyrex line had sold the name to another company in the late 90s and there were reports of this newer glassware exploding/breaking. The explosions were a result of the new glassware being made of a different type of glass compared to the vintage Pyrex glassware which was made of borosilicate glass (the same type used in laboratory glassware abused by students and scientists). It was also a result of users not following instructions from the manufacturer (instructions who needs instructions? Uh oh... it blew up).

But some people are used to using the old Pyrex glassware in ways that the newer type of glass would not be compatible with. That type of usage almost always involved thermal shock or rapid change in temperature such as placing hot glassware onto a cold surface, putting hot glassware with burnt-on food into the sink to soak, placing refrigerated glassware into a preheated oven, etc. The borosilicate glass originally used to make Pyrex glassware had a low thermal expansion coefficient which made it more resistant to rapid temperature changes compared to the new tempered soda lime glass now in use. It is understandable that the company had to cut costs by using a low-cost type of glass in order to survive, but they should also remember that consumers have a habit of using their product in a certain way (hey habits are hard to break).

With that problem sorted out, I purchased the measuring cup and read the instructions/warnings before using it.

For most uses in the kitchen, the new measuring cup works great on most types of ingredients. It also has the clear measurement markings in metric and US units plus a comfortable handle similar to older Pyrex designs. The only issue I had was how to measure out boiling hot liquids for something like making Jello because this would mean that the glass is being exposed to a rapid temperature change. The way around this problem is to start with the liquid at room temperature, measure out the amount needed, and heating it up in the microwave. It felt inconvenient to have to wait for liquids to cool for measuring and then reheating it, but I had to break the old routine of pouring hot liquids into a measuring cup.

In any case, this is still a good measuring cup that is still made in the United States (hooray for supporting domestic jobs & reducing the amount of fuel used to transport it to consumers). The measuring cup is made of thick glass with bold, easy to read markings and a solid handle. It is also easier to clean than plastic measuring cups that tend to stain and absorb odors. Just remember not to expose the measuring cup to rapid temperature changes and it should last just as long as any other piece of old Pyrex glassware. Though I still wish Corning or World Kitchen would produce a measuring cup made of durable borosilicate glass.

1.0 out of 5 stars This cup LITERALLY EXPLODED in my microwave yesterday!!, December 24, 2010
The name Pyrex as well as Anchor Hocking are names we all have associated with quality glass products used in the kitchen for many years. What a shock when this very cup exploded in my microwave yesterday. Fortunately no injuries - just a mess to clean up. Wow is all I can say. I have had the cup for several years and use it daily to heat water for tea, and never quite to boiling. WOW!!!

So I took it upon myself as a consumer to find out what was the problem. Would you believe this has happened to thousands of others? Let me tell you why and refer you to the January 2011 Issue of Consumer Reports beginning on page 44. It does a much better job of explaining the problem than I could ever do. Below is a quick summary of what I have discovered.

Apparently about 12 years ago Corning sold its Pyrex name and manufacturing operations to company called, "World Kitchen". Who knew?
Well according to the in depth article they switched the glass from something borosilicate to a much cheaper to produce glass known as lime soda. There have been THOUSANDS of documented cases of Pyrex cookware literally exploding sometimes causing serious injury over the last 10 years. Our government is very aware of this problem yet no warnings or action has been taken to protect the innocent public consumer. So what else is new? I can think of many things from tainted meat and eggs to lead contaminated toys from China that we have been subjected to in the last few years. This is just one more.

So now if you have gone this far you are now fully aware of the problem. If you choose to ignore what has happened to Pyrex and Anchor Hocking products then as they always say, "Let the buyer beware". From reading the article I have found that a safe product does exist on the market. It is produced by a French company called Arcuisine. More money of course. But I don't want anything exploding in my hands or into my face made of glass, so I guess I must pay the price to be safe. Now you know why the Pyrex products are so cheap - and they aren't produced in China - or are they? According to the article all manufacturing for Pyrex products is done in Charleroi, PA. But now I'm even suspicious of that claim. After all China is a much cheaper place to manufacture most things. And who would know?

Let the buyer beware. Your government is not going to protect you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous, Exploded, October 10, 2011
This this the second one I have had explode when hot liquid was pored inside !! I thought is was a fluke the first time but then read in consumer affairs that after corning sold the rights to the pyrex brand they stopped tempering the glass. The result is people being burned, scarred, and even blinded. Do a google search for "exploding pyrex" and you will see all the complaints. Okay, have to clean broken glass off the kitchen floor now !

1.0 out of 5 stars Pyrex is not what it used to be, July 14, 2011
I had a pyrex measuring cup for probably 30 years and decided to replace it because the glass was scuffed up. Now I've been through 3 in about 3 years. The markings keep wearing off--not much use that way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total crap, November 19, 2012
I bought this measuring cup less than 2 years ago to replace one I'd had for 20 years that chipped after I dropped it. I'll admit I wasn't too keen on purchasing pyrex since there are known quality issues with the glass. I never thought the writing would be first to fail though. I posted pictures to show how it's just coming right off. Every time I wash it more comes off. You can even scrape it off with your fingernail. It's now useless. Maybe I can scour the Goodwill for a proper measuring cup made before World Kitchen LLC started manufacturing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Callibration, February 18, 2013
My boyfriend and I are always watching Cook's Country and they had a segment on this product. Pyrex has discontinued their original measuring cup and replaced it with this; which hey, upgrades are usually cool. In the case though, they found that the callibration of the measurements was off. We won't be buying any new Pyrex measuring cups... and will def. keep our eyes out for the "old" ones at thrift stores/garage sales, etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't buy again, July 25, 2009
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Measurements I bought one of these based on manufacturer's name and reputation. I wouldn't do it again. The pouring lip is too narrow and too shallow. You have to pour very slowly to prevent spilling liquids. Anchor Hocking makes one that has better markings, is easier to read, and has a wider and deeper pouring spout. It is also less expensive. My Pyrex measuring cup is now an extra.

1.0 out of 5 stars I need to vent: These pour terribly!, May 29, 2013
Have you ever used one of these Pyrex measuring cups? Of course you have; they're available in every supermarket. They are durable, the markings don't wear off, they have a convenient handle, and are useful for mixing ingredients. But the pour spout is terrible! When you try to pour the liquid, batter, or anything else, it also pours down the side of the cup; I'd say only about half of what you intend to pour actually flows through the spout. The spout is very poorly designed for the act of pouring! After so many years, you'd think they could have improved it. There, I've vented; I feel better now.

1.0 out of 5 stars How do you give a measuring cup one star?, December 21, 2013
I bought the 2-cup product. Two cups on this is really a short 1 7/8 cups. But what is really annoying is the dribbling pouring spout. See, I expect that Pyrex quality means the pouring spout is supposed to pour properly. Well, unless this is being held straight up at a 90 degree angle the liquid will dribble DOWN THE SIDE of this "pyrex" and flow onto your countertop.

Pyrex used to stand for quality. Now it's another disappointing company that has cheapened their brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars useless in no time, December 5, 2011
How come the Pyrex and Kimax labware I have will keep the graduate marks on them through hideous chemicals and severe dishwashing and the Pyrex measuring cup for my kitchen lost ALL of its markers after 2 trips through a HOME dishwasher?

I bought this because the 55 year old one from my mother had lost all of its markings. Now this new one is just as useless.