1,467 Reviews
 (1,115)

Published on September 12, 2010 by B. Nguyen

1.0 out of 5 stars 1-cup or so
Published on September 27, 2009 by jeffnick

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use measuring cup, but do not treat it the same way as vintage Pyrex glassware., September 12, 2010
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Measurements (Kitchen)
I needed a small measuring cup and decided to purchase a Pyrex brand one because I already had a nice old large quart sized Pyrex measuring cup that had outlasted many other measuring cups which I got tired of replacing constantly. To make sure that my new measuring cup would last, I did some investigation on the new "Pyrex" brand of glassware. Corning Glass Works the company that manufactured the Pyrex line had sold the name to another company in the late 90s and there were reports of this newer glassware exploding/breaking. The explosions were a result of the new glassware being made of a different type of glass compared to the vintage Pyrex glassware which was made of borosilicate glass (the same type used in laboratory glassware abused by students and scientists). It was also a result of users not following instructions from the manufacturer (instructions who needs instructions? Uh oh... it blew up).

But some people are used to using the old Pyrex glassware in ways that the newer type of glass would not be compatible with. That type of usage almost always involved thermal shock or rapid change in temperature such as placing hot glassware onto a cold surface, putting hot glassware with burnt-on food into the sink to soak, placing refrigerated glassware into a preheated oven, etc. The borosilicate glass originally used to make Pyrex glassware had a low thermal expansion coefficient which made it more resistant to rapid temperature changes compared to the new tempered soda lime glass now in use. It is understandable that the company had to cut costs by using a low-cost type of glass in order to survive, but they should also remember that consumers have a habit of using their product in a certain way (hey habits are hard to break).

With that problem sorted out, I purchased the measuring cup and read the instructions/warnings before using it.

For most uses in the kitchen, the new measuring cup works great on most types of ingredients. It also has the clear measurement markings in metric and US units plus a comfortable handle similar to older Pyrex designs. The only issue I had was how to measure out boiling hot liquids for something like making Jello because this would mean that the glass is being exposed to a rapid temperature change. The way around this problem is to start with the liquid at room temperature, measure out the amount needed, and heating it up in the microwave. It felt inconvenient to have to wait for liquids to cool for measuring and then reheating it, but I had to break the old routine of pouring hot liquids into a measuring cup.

In any case, this is still a good measuring cup that is still made in the United States (hooray for supporting domestic jobs & reducing the amount of fuel used to transport it to consumers). The measuring cup is made of thick glass with bold, easy to read markings and a solid handle. It is also easier to clean than plastic measuring cups that tend to stain and absorb odors. Just remember not to expose the measuring cup to rapid temperature changes and it should last just as long as any other piece of old Pyrex glassware. Though I still wish Corning or World Kitchen would produce a measuring cup made of durable borosilicate glass.

5.0 out of 5 stars I know, I know, it's just a measuring cup!, July 1, 2005
I must be getting old, as today I dropped my Pyrex 1 Quart Measuring Cup from a cupboard about 10 feet up and guess what, it didn't break, and I was very excited! I've bought dozens of measuring cups over the years and have managed to melt, break, tarnish and mutilate each and every one of them. This one seems to be up to the challenge. I've used it to melt butter and left it in the microwave too long, washed it a dozen times in the dishwasher, used a whisk in it (I love the sheer size of this thing!). Not a scratch on it! I know, I know, it's just a measuring cup. But quality does matter, and this one is top notch!

1.0 out of 5 stars 1-cup or so, September 27, 2009
jeffnick (Upstate Manhattan) - See all my reviews
This is a great cup, except for one little thing: the measurements are wrong! 1 cup, according to this measuring cup, is actually closer to 7/8 cup. I have compared it to older PYREX measuring cups (2 cup and 4 cup sizes), as well as to a variety of other measuring cups. The other measuring cups are all consistent, both Pyrex and non-Pyrex. But the measurements provided by this 1-cup Pyrex cup are consistently too low.

What is most astonishing to me is that none of the other reviewers has remarked about this. I hope that others will now test their own cups - it would be nice to know whether perhaps Pyrex's 1-cup measuring cups in general are okay, and I happened to end up with the lone defective unit. My measuring technique: I use the bottom of the meniscus (the curve in the surface of the liquid), which is how I was taught to do it in Chemistry and Biology laboratories. I have also compared the weights of 1 cup of room temperature water, as determined on a digital cooking scale, and found the weight of this cup's contents to be less than that of a cup as measured by other measuring cups.

1.0 out of 5 stars New design is a messy mess, April 9, 2012
Howdy Partner (Highland, UT USA#1) - See all my reviews
I have been using pyrex brand for years. The new measuring cups are a bad design. They measure fine until you need to empty the contents out. The new and improved spout spills all down the front and all over the counter, stove, or floor no matter how fast or slow you pour it.

I have a 1 cup, 2 cup, 4 cup, 6 cup, and 8 cup, they are all messy to use. I have lost or broken my old ones and noticed the new design and did not know it would be such a pain. I contacted Pyrex and they told me that they test them out and have not had any complaints. I love their other products but I am trying out other brands of measuring cups. I just hate making an unnecessary mess on top of my mess.

1.0 out of 5 stars This cup LITERALLY EXPLODED in my microwave yesterday!!, December 24, 2010
The name Pyrex as well as Anchor Hocking are names we all have associated with quality glass products used in the kitchen for many years. What a shock when this very cup exploded in my microwave yesterday. Fortunately no injuries - just a mess to clean up. Wow is all I can say. I have had the cup for several years and use it daily to heat water for tea, and never quite to boiling. WOW!!!

So I took it upon myself as a consumer to find out what was the problem. Would you believe this has happened to thousands of others? Let me tell you why and refer you to the January 2011 Issue of Consumer Reports beginning on page 44. It does a much better job of explaining the problem than I could ever do. Below is a quick summary of what I have discovered.

Apparently about 12 years ago Corning sold its Pyrex name and manufacturing operations to company called, "World Kitchen". Who knew?
Well according to the in depth article they switched the glass from something borosilicate to a much cheaper to produce glass known as lime soda. There have been THOUSANDS of documented cases of Pyrex cookware literally exploding sometimes causing serious injury over the last 10 years. Our government is very aware of this problem yet no warnings or action has been taken to protect the innocent public consumer. So what else is new? I can think of many things from tainted meat and eggs to lead contaminated toys from China that we have been subjected to in the last few years. This is just one more.

So now if you have gone this far you are now fully aware of the problem. If you choose to ignore what has happened to Pyrex and Anchor Hocking products then as they always say, "Let the buyer beware". From reading the article I have found that a safe product does exist on the market. It is produced by a French company called Arcuisine. More money of course. But I don't want anything exploding in my hands or into my face made of glass, so I guess I must pay the price to be safe. Now you know why the Pyrex products are so cheap - and they aren't produced in China - or are they? According to the article all manufacturing for Pyrex products is done in Charleroi, PA. But now I'm even suspicious of that claim. After all China is a much cheaper place to manufacture most things. And who would know?

Let the buyer beware. Your government is not going to protect you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, May 4, 2007
I have always used pyrex glass measuring cups, so when my old one-cup cup broke I wanted to replace it. I'm very disappointed with the design of the new cup. The cup itself will probably hold two cups of liquid. It only has markings for up to one cup. The cup is very short and wide. This makes the markings so close together they are hard to read and hard to pour the precise of liquid I need. I bought another one that I like. I can't imagine why Pyrex made this cup like this. I would have never believed I would review a measuring cup, but this one was so bad I decided to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not get the one-quart size!! It's a mess, July 20, 2012
The one-quart size pyrex measuring cup, with its squatty shape, is cute but somehow the physics behind the design causes the liquid inside to pour all over the place. You will get about a quarter cup on the counter and maybe the rest into where it was supposed to go. We regret this purchase and would not buy this again

1.0 out of 5 stars useless too soon, December 5, 2011
How come the Pyrex and Kimax labware I have will keep the graduate marks on them through hideous chemicals and severe dishwashing and the Pyrex measuring cup for my kitchen lost ALL of its markers after 2 trips through a HOME dishwasher?

I bought this because the 55 year old one from my mother had lost all of its markings. Now this new one is just as useless.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT 'Pyrex' anymore, August 5, 2007
Pyrex is only a trade name ONLY now, licensed out to World Kitchen. It is NOT the original invention from 1915 that we all remember. It is NOT Pyrex BOROSILICATE glass anymore (after 1998). It is NOT safe to plunge into ice cold water from boiling oven anymore. It's also heavier because it's NOT PYREX anymore! After 1998, when Corning Glass stopped making Pyrex. (Think fiberoptics and bankruptcy, etc.) They sold off their 'household' glassmaking and it reformed as World Kitchen. PYREX is borosilicate glass and very resistant to wear and chip and cracking due to exposure to heat or quick changes in temperature. This is why Pyrex and Kimax and other borosilicate glasses are used for chemistry glassware. (Timex was to watches as these were to chemlabware! Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!) Corning has licensed the name of 'Pyrex' to World Kitchen, but nothing else about it is 'corning glass'. (As an aside - Corning made/makes great glass - of all kinds. A world-beater in their day. Management screwed them over going down the wrong economic road. Do check out their lovely glass museum in Corning, NY!) NOW, World Kitchen makes their 'pyrex' measuring cups out of ordinary soda-lime glass (kitchen drinking glass type). This is NOT safe to expose to heat changes!!!! (Think wear safety goggles - like you WERE working in a CHEM LAB!) I suspect that soda-lime glass is denser than borosilicate, but the actual measure wall thickness may be different now than before, and, thus, this accounts for some of the weight difference. If you want my opinion - find 'vintage' Pyrex Measuring Cups somehow and they will last multiple lifetimes. I have one of my mom's and she has two of her mom's measures. My new ones cannot hold a candle to the old ones (30 to 60 years old) and aren't worth a tinker's damn. Happy times in the kitchen!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous, Exploded, October 10, 2011
This this the second one I have had explode when hot liquid was pored inside !! I thought is was a fluke the first time but then read in consumer affairs that after corning sold the rights to the pyrex brand they stopped tempering the glass. The result is people being burned, scarred, and even blinded. Do a google search for "exploding pyrex" and you will see all the complaints. Okay, have to clean broken glass off the kitchen floor now !

Rate and Discover Movies