1,284 Reviews
 (1,047)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Work as described. Excellent quality.
Pyrex doesn't need a review--it's great stuff. Non-pourous so it doesn't soak up tastes and smells that can never be washed out. Tough and beautiful, Pyrex does it all.

Published on July 1, 2007 by John P. Thiel

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved them initially but...
I purchased these bowls because I needed more prep and storage bowls with lids. These seemed to fit the bill perfectly. However, a month or so after I had the set I was taking them out to use them and barely tapped one of them against the plastic shelf and it exploded. Thinking this was a freak accident I continued using them. Yesterday the same thing happened with...
Published on August 1, 2011 by kristi

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Work as described. Excellent quality., July 1, 2007

So the bowls are a no brainer, but why buy these instead of others. The tops of course are the difference. I've found that most Pyrex bowls with tops I had looked at didn't fit on their bowls very well or were made out of materials which didn't seem like they would outlast me--as they should. These tops are durable, make a good seal that wont pop off or leak. And they're labeled with the various volumes of the bowls.

The size range of the set is also very good--from one the size of a cereal bowl to one large enough for a pot-luck salad without being so big that it wouldn't fit in a kitchen cabinet--and they all fit inside each other without the smaller ones rising above the rims of the larger ones.

You can put all the bowls inside each other then close them all up with the largest top--with enough room to put paper towels between each bowl and the next for safety.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, cheap, and shallow, January 7, 2005
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
If you need some wide, shallow mixing bowls, these are a nice choice. Their design is attractive and basic, and you know the benefits of Pyrex. Before buying, you should consider stainless steel instead, as it is lighter (these are a bit heavy) and won't explode into sharp bits if you drop it on your tile floor. Also, bear in mind that these bowls are shallow, so if you are a messy mixer (or use an electric mixer or a fast whisk), you may end up slopping ingredients out over the side.

Their wide shape and clear material lets them do double duty as informal serving bowls, which a true (high sided) mixing bowl doesn't do very well.

In short, these are nice to have around for certain uses, but choose high-sided stainless steel bowls as your main set.

5.0 out of 5 stars more truly essential Pyrex, May 14, 2007
M. Swaim (NC United States) - See all my reviews
From batter to salads, this set has you covered. Exceptional value in a set of Pyrex bowls with lids that means they do double duty as mixing bowls and storage containers. I bought this set because I needed a large glass salad bowl with a cover, and feel almost like I got the bonus of three additional covered mixing bowls. The smaller two bowls are great for small mixes, scrambled eggs, reheats and storage, and the larger 2 bowls are great for mixing and salads. I love that I now have a way to store salads that doesn't involve plastic wrap or foil. Made in USA. Microwave safe. Freezer safe. Dishwasher safe. Safer and frankly, more durable than plastics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and Holding Up Well, June 30, 2006
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
I bought this set about two weeks ago and have been satisfied overall. You are getting exactly what you pay for; three basic glass bowls that are fairly sturdy and seem very durable. My only complaint is that they identify themselves as `mixing bowls' and are really all too small to do any real mixing in. The smallest one is the size of a cereal bowl, and the biggest one can only hold enough salad for 4 people. If you want to actually mix, even a single batch of cookies, you're going to want something bigger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality at a great price, January 9, 2007
You get what you pay for. If you get the cheap plastic containers from Ikea and the like, you are heading for problems in the long run. Pyrex containers are great quality, and well worth the extra dollar you put in. I was looking for a package with a big bowl and this one fits the bill, the large one is great in size, should be able to store most of what you would need or want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well sized and sturdy, February 19, 2010
These bowls are great. I almost got the set with 4 bowls, but I'm glad I didn't as I think the smallest bowl would have potentially been too small. These bowls are very nicely sized.

I like that it is very easy to store these. Simply put the lids on each bowl and next them inside each other. Do make sure they are dry though if you do this as the lids seal extremely well. I've had covered mixing bowls before and they've always sealed like crap. I'm very pleased with how these seal.

These are of course easy to clean. They are easy to use a hand mixer in. They have a variety of very useful sizes for your needs.

I'm very pleased with these items. I don't think I'd recommend putting the lids in the dishwasher in the long term though as I think it could screw up how well the lids seal. The bowls themselves could easily go into the dishwasher though.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I needed, January 9, 2007
These bowls are great. They are the right sizes, easy to clean, no odor retention. The covers are so easy to clean as well. They don't take up a lot of space because they stack very well. I have retired my plastic bowls because these are so much easier to use and clean. Should the opportunity arise I will buy more and give them as a gift. Great product and super price

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bowls!, November 4, 2004
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
I've had these for about 14 years and I'm still using them. I can't use them to serve anymore because they scratch rather easily and look awful, but they're still on the mixing job. I've used them so much that they're needing replaced now but I really like being able to see through the bowl to make sure all the batter has been mixed thoroughly. It's just one of those things everyone should have in their cabinet to make life easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Them But They Have Limitations, April 21, 2010
I just love this set. I've had it now for several months and use it constantly. I really like the different colored lids which fit snugly and comfortably without being a pain to get off. They are nice vivid colors that have held up well even in the dishwasher. Also the sizes of the bowls are perfect for storing. They have been used a lot and still look like new. I ordered a second set so that I have plenty on hand because these are my new favorite storage bowls. I deducted a star because I wouldn't really classify these are great mixing bowls since they aren't deep enough and narrow enough for certain mixing bowl needs. I tried making mashed potatoes in the largest one with a hand mixer and it was a mess. So I use them when I don't need any electronic mixing and for storage containers and serving bowls. But overall, the quality is very good as it is with all the Pyrex products I've had over the years. Some of them I've had for over 20 years and they still look good! I would say a very good product but not really suitable for certain mixing bowl needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, but not good for literally *mixing* anything, September 1, 2012
I like this set of storage bowls. I bought them locally for half the price when they were on sale, so keep a look out at your grocery stores and the like. I love that they're glass and made in the USA. I like how well they stack together so that they don't take up *too* much space (the big bowl is rather large, so it does rightly take up a fair amount of cabinet space). I don't know the sizes off the top of my head, but they should be listed in the description (or at least in the reviews, which I haven't read yet); if not, I'll edit my review later and add the sizes).

The lids fit nice and tightly. No complaints with durability at all. The only thing I am docking them for is the way they are marketed as mixing bowls. They really aren't suitable for most mixing jobs. If you do a lot of cooking (but especially baking), you'll know what I mean. Real mixing/baking bowls are relatively straight-sided or at least don't have a flange.

These Pyrex bowls are narrow at the bottom and very wide at the top--not good for making any kind of mixture except perhaps meatloaf since it sticks together, for the most part. The food just doesn't want to stay in the bowl when it's being stirred (unless you are using a bowl that's way too big for the ingredients, but that limits you when using the large bowl for large mixing jobs like a batch of potato salad). Though I haven't attempted it, I highly doubt that an electric mixer could be used in these bowls; they're just not good for that kind of thing.

I'd rate them as being very good for storage/leftovers, but poor at being a mixing bowl. They should advertise them as storage bowls, since that's what they're useful as.

Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear