4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, cheap, and shallow
Published on January 7, 2005 by Aaron Contorer

3.0 out of 5 stars Shallow; not my favorite mixing bowls
These are the first bowls I bought when I moved to our new house a dozen years ago. They are classic--have a rim, are pyrex glass and heat-proof (but can't go on the stove top.) I don't actually like them compared to my very old Pyrex bowls from the Sixties. Sad, but the old colored bowls are higher sides, and have one more size that works for anything I'm mixing up...
Published 8 months ago by Joanna Daneman

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, cheap, and shallow, January 7, 2005
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
If you need some wide, shallow mixing bowls, these are a nice choice. Their design is attractive and basic, and you know the benefits of Pyrex. Before buying, you should consider stainless steel instead, as it is lighter (these are a bit heavy) and won't explode into sharp bits if you drop it on your tile floor. Also, bear in mind that these bowls are shallow, so if you are a messy mixer (or use an electric mixer or a fast whisk), you may end up slopping ingredients out over the side.

Their wide shape and clear material lets them do double duty as informal serving bowls, which a true (high sided) mixing bowl doesn't do very well.

In short, these are nice to have around for certain uses, but choose high-sided stainless steel bowls as your main set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and Holding Up Well, June 30, 2006
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
I bought this set about two weeks ago and have been satisfied overall. You are getting exactly what you pay for; three basic glass bowls that are fairly sturdy and seem very durable. My only complaint is that they identify themselves as `mixing bowls' and are really all too small to do any real mixing in. The smallest one is the size of a cereal bowl, and the biggest one can only hold enough salad for 4 people. If you want to actually mix, even a single batch of cookies, you're going to want something bigger.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bowls!, November 4, 2004
csm (The great Midwest!) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
I've had these for about 14 years and I'm still using them. I can't use them to serve anymore because they scratch rather easily and look awful, but they're still on the mixing job. I've used them so much that they're needing replaced now but I really like being able to see through the bowl to make sure all the batter has been mixed thoroughly. It's just one of those things everyone should have in their cabinet to make life easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly basic, December 3, 2004
Nilremwolf (Hicksville, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
This is one of those things that you can't miss with . . . you get what you pay for. Three Pyrex mixing bowls, which so far, have been terrific for me. Perfect for making and mixing anything I've thrown at them, pouring hot liquid and then shoving it straight into the refrigerator, or mixing, quick wash, mixing something else.

The lip makes them easy to hold on to, but kind of gets in the way when I'm stacking these bowls with other mixing bowls I own, which are also Pyrex, but going on 25 years old now. Aside from that, so far, so good, and i'm quite happy with the cheap purchase, which is cheaper than nearby stores.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good no-nonsense set, April 16, 2007
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so having this set of handy and versatile bowls is essential. I got them a couple of months ago and use at least one of them every day. I agree that a high-sided mixing bowl would be better suited for an electric hand mixer, but since I don't have one of those these shallow bowls are fine. They're great for mixing by hand, serving, storing, clean easily, and fit nicely in the dishwasher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, October 22, 2005
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
I have become increasingly fond of glass items in the kitchen. I have purchased glass lids for many of my pots, etc. I prefer to see what is happening during mixing and cooking. Current glass, including Pyrex, is very durable; I have never broken a piece.

These bowls work brilliantly for myriad uses. They go into the oven, microwave, and fridge with aplomb.

PS

I like also the set of small Pyrex bowls, often seen on cooking shows, to hold spices, diced veggies, etc during preparation. These are also available on Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shallow; not my favorite mixing bowls, December 5, 2013
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)

So these are basic but because the sides are shallow, if you are a vigorous whisker of eggs and batters, you can splash it around. If this set came with many more small bowls (those little 1/4 cup bowls for setting up your "mise en place" or ingredients ready to use) I'd love it. But as it stands, I actually ended up retiring these bowls to the Goodwill when I realized I was using the vintage glass bowls exclusively--or stainless steel when it was better to use metal.

Good Points:
Very inexpensive for a starter set of mixing bowls
Can see contents if put in fridge with wrap on top

Bad Points:
Shallow
Only three sizes

Summary: This is a great basic to have, but not the end-all for mixing bowls. I prefer heavier glass bowls like those vintage yellow,green,red and blue milk-glass bowls, or even stoneware. I'd like them better if they came with ingredient saucers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, especially for small kitchens, September 12, 2011
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
These bowls are great around my kitchen. They stack, which is expected. They're clear so you can see what's up in your bowl. They're fairly attractive, so even if it is just me and roommates or me and my fiance, it's a step-up from my other options in my college apartment (so... I could serve the salad in the salad spinner, tupperware, or Pyrex... I choose Pyrex). I usually use these for prepwork or mixing. The shape also works great with my immersion blender.

The obviously can be used in the oven, microwave, freezer, and dishwasher, but I find that I only really use it in the microwave and fridge. I always try to buy dishes that are microwave safe.

I wish they sold the lids separately. I would really love some lids so that I don't have to transfer the food to another container or use a bunch of saran-wrap. If you're a person who does prepwork ahead of time or always has leftovers, do yourself a favor and buy the set that has lids, even if it is $5+ more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 15, 2007
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
Great product. We've had these bowls for almost 20 years and they're still doing great. They're a tad on the heavy side, but I haven't dropped them yet. In my personal opinion, I prefer glass bowls to metal for most mixing jobs, as metal bowls are more easily knocked over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Product, June 22, 2007
This review is from: Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear (Kitchen)
I wouldn't think of mixing and storing food in any material other than glass. I have these bowls and they are wonderful. I use them every single day, from everything to making biscuits and pie dough to mixing a quick salad. They clean up so nicely--never stain or hold odors from other foods. I feel that since plastic and other synthetic materials are made from petroleum, they can't be safe. Another safety factor is that plastic/synthetic bowls scratch and therefore bacteria and such can penetrate them. You won't go wrong with these bowls and they are an excellent value to boot.

Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Clear