Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Style Name: Without Lid|Size: 3 piece set|Change

VINE VOICEon January 7, 2005
If you need some wide, shallow mixing bowls, these are a nice choice. Their design is attractive and basic, and you know the benefits of Pyrex. Before buying, you should consider stainless steel instead, as it is lighter (these are a bit heavy) and won't explode into sharp bits if you drop it on your tile floor. Also, bear in mind that these bowls are shallow, so if you are a messy mixer (or use an electric mixer or a fast whisk), you may end up slopping ingredients out over the side.

Their wide shape and clear material lets them do double duty as informal serving bowls, which a true (high sided) mixing bowl doesn't do very well.

In short, these are nice to have around for certain uses, but choose high-sided stainless steel bowls as your main set.
66 comments| 253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this set about two weeks ago and have been satisfied overall. You are getting exactly what you pay for; three basic glass bowls that are fairly sturdy and seem very durable. My only complaint is that they identify themselves as `mixing bowls' and are really all too small to do any real mixing in. The smallest one is the size of a cereal bowl, and the biggest one can only hold enough salad for 4 people. If you want to actually mix, even a single batch of cookies, you're going to want something bigger.
11 comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2015
Been using for about 15 days now. No complaints here. Nice thick, even glass
review image
on September 24, 2014
I love Pyrex bowls, I've used them for years, but this evening when I poured something hot into one of the bowls it broke in half, literally in half where the top of the liquid was. I've never seen this happen before and thankfully no one was hurt, but the bowl certainly didn't live up to my expectations.
on February 25, 2014
These are not real Pyrex glass bowls. I don't know what happened but these use fragile glass that breaks easily. I have real pyrex items in my household and they are different than these and have been around a long time.
VINE VOICEon April 16, 2007
I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so having this set of handy and versatile bowls is essential. I got them a couple of months ago and use at least one of them every day. I agree that a high-sided mixing bowl would be better suited for an electric hand mixer, but since I don't have one of those these shallow bowls are fine. They're great for mixing by hand, serving, storing, clean easily, and fit nicely in the dishwasher.
on September 12, 2011
These bowls are great around my kitchen. They stack, which is expected. They're clear so you can see what's up in your bowl. They're fairly attractive, so even if it is just me and roommates or me and my fiance, it's a step-up from my other options in my college apartment (so... I could serve the salad in the salad spinner, tupperware, or Pyrex... I choose Pyrex). I usually use these for prepwork or mixing. The shape also works great with my immersion blender.

The obviously can be used in the oven, microwave, freezer, and dishwasher, but I find that I only really use it in the microwave and fridge. I always try to buy dishes that are microwave safe.

I wish they sold the lids separately. I would really love some lids so that I don't have to transfer the food to another container or use a bunch of saran-wrap. If you're a person who does prepwork ahead of time or always has leftovers, do yourself a favor and buy the set that has lids, even if it is $5+ more.
on September 20, 2012
These are a great set of mixing bowls. They're durable and versatile. You can use them for mixing, baking in the oven, microwaving, storing stuff in the fridge, and they're dishwasher safe. Just make sure you read the instructions as with Pyrex you never want to expose it to extreme temperature changes; for example taking it from the fridge and immediately sticking it into a hot oven, or vise-versa. I learned this the hard way years ago when reheating leftover casserole and after about 2 minutes in the oven it shattered everywhere, and as you could imagine it was quite a mess to clean up!
on October 22, 2005
I have become increasingly fond of glass items in the kitchen. I have purchased glass lids for many of my pots, etc. I prefer to see what is happening during mixing and cooking. Current glass, including Pyrex, is very durable; I have never broken a piece.

These bowls work brilliantly for myriad uses. They go into the oven, microwave, and fridge with aplomb.

PS

I like also the set of small Pyrex bowls, often seen on cooking shows, to hold spices, diced veggies, etc during preparation. These are also available on Amazon.
on December 3, 2004
This is one of those things that you can't miss with . . . you get what you pay for. Three Pyrex mixing bowls, which so far, have been terrific for me. Perfect for making and mixing anything I've thrown at them, pouring hot liquid and then shoving it straight into the refrigerator, or mixing, quick wash, mixing something else.

The lip makes them easy to hold on to, but kind of gets in the way when I'm stacking these bowls with other mixing bowls I own, which are also Pyrex, but going on 25 years old now. Aside from that, so far, so good, and i'm quite happy with the cheap purchase, which is cheaper than nearby stores.