Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Python Pocket Reference: Python in Your Pocket (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 21, 2011
I'm a beginning programmer and I found this reference book very handy. It won't teach you how to program in python, but it is an indispensable quick reference for the usage of common commands and methods once you learn the basics. Worth every penny.
on April 10, 2012
I owned the 2nd edition of PPR, which had some weak points, one of them being the lack of index. This 4th edition of PPR has a detailed index (10 pages), covers python 3.x and 2.6 (and also applies to 2.7), the matters have been reorganized and improved, and thus the contents page now is much more useful. The prose is excellent: neither very terse, nor verbose.

90% of the time I work in python solely with PPR, and the remaining 10% of time I consult David Beazley's excellent 4th edition of Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library) for getting the "dirty details" in python and in the numerous available libraries there described. Thus, PPR is more than a mere pocket guide: its 200 pages indeed correspond to a valuable python single reference for seasoned programmers coming from all backgrounds.

All in all, PPR is truly a Swiss knife for every Pythonista.
on November 3, 2009
This is a great little book. I have had three revisions of it and plan to get the next one when it is published. I keep it in my mini 10v running ubuntu linux (9.10) netbook's sleeve when I travel. Perfect little reference and easily worth the cost.
on June 7, 2013
I find this book unusable as a reference guide since I bought it as a kindle book and there is no other index than the index pages of the book. I cannot say anything about the contents since I gave up. In any case, get it on paper!
on September 7, 2013
This pocket reference for Python is ok but not great. I say this because I found some inconsistencies where it had some aspect of a command or syntax but left others out. It's good enough for a beginner but as you get more into Python this book leaves a lot to be desired. I've been using internet searches to find the answers I can't find in this book but am also looking for a better reference.
on August 16, 2011
At nearly 200 pages, this pocket reference includes a comprehensive reference to the entire Python language (versions 2 and 3) and lots of the most commonly used standard libraries, including math, time, sys, os, re, pickle, and tkinter. It even contains some Python coding tips in the back and it's still small enough to fit in your pocket.
on December 6, 2012
When I first got this pocket book, It didn't lokk like it had much information in it. After a couple of weeks of using it as a reference for some homework, I am now a big fan. It is great when I just need help getting started on homework. It has all I need to begin programs and I am glad that I bought it. I will definitely recommend it to my friends.
on May 1, 2014
So this is not really bad but I cannot give it a good rating as really it is just a "kind" of useless reference unless you like to sit on the "throne" and read this crap. lol Pardon the pun... but really, when programming for real (meaning at work) I did not find myself referring to this book even once, so... in today's work world, perhaps this a not really relevant anymore? Just wasn't for me... the content was fine, but I guess I am too much of a geek to not just use the help that is available on the console and turn my eyes away from the screen for even a minute to consult a book. Maybe that is sad... :(
on August 15, 2013
Listen, this is not a book with lesson plans or practical applications. It is a reference manual and it is very clearly presented and indexed. There is definitely some useless material in there from my perspective but that is how references work - they have to have everything for all sorts.

Now for a book that shows you how to use Python scripts within the open-sourced Blender 3D modeling suite check out: Blender Meets Python: Blender 2.6 Unites with Python 3 for a Completely 3D Relationship (Volume 1)
on April 3, 2011
The more I code in Python, the more I love it (my other favorite, Ruby, falls short in many critical areas that Python excels at, such as scientific computing, artificial intelligence prototyping, GPU programming extensions, etc.). The fact that I can use my C libraries for bit-level tweaking and major speedup on resource intensive tasks make Python an even bigger winner compared to many other scripting languages.

This reference book is helpful to jot your memory as you code, and although it's not by any means comprehensive, it does come very handy when you forget what regex format to use, or what binascii methods to call, etc.

The book itself is physically small and very portable.