Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now STEM

Format: Diary|Change

on December 22, 2011
For some reason I thought this book would be much bigger - a normal-sized journal. I had intended to paste a Christmas card from the person who bought it for me on the inside cover. But I had to laugh at that idea when it arrived - it's a stout, stubby little book, would be pocket-sized if it weren't so thick, and this dramatically reduces the amount of space there is on the page to write. I already knew I'd have trouble fitting my thoughts into a few lines given a *regular* size page, but with these miniature pages it's going to be a real challenge to condense my answers to be able to fit!

Still, I love the concept, the questions, the overall look of the book, and the gilded pages. Shiny! Can't wait to get started.
review image review image review image
33 comments|181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2011
I LOVE this book -- at least I love the idea of it. I've been wanting to keep some kind of journal/diary that my kids could read someday and learn about me ... this little book is perfect for that!

It asks a simple question each day for a year. There are 4 lines to answer the question, which is great for someone like me who tends to ramble -- the 4 lines ensure a short and sweet response. In front of the 4 lines is a bolded "20__" where you fill out the current year.

Basically, it's set up like a traditional 5-year diary. Each page has 5 groups of 4 lines beginning with 20__. So after you go through a year of answering the questions at the top of the page, you start over again on the second group of lines.

I think it's a great tool to see how you've grown and changed over the course of a year -- as well as how you've stayed the same. I'm excited to see how my answers will vary from year to year.

I know another reviewer gave a good sampling of the questions, so I'll just throw in a few here: "When was the last time you flew on an airplane?" "What's your favorite word (right now)?" and "Write down a problem you solved today."

Now for the reasons I only gave this book 3 stars, even though I love the idea of it:

1. It's tiny, about 6x4 inches. That makes it handy to carry around, but hard to manage when you're trying to hold the book open and write in a very small space.

2. It doesn't lay flat. That's a big pet peeve of mine, especially for a diary or journal. It makes the chore of writing in a tiny space even more of a chore. My first entry is all messy; it feels impossible to write neatly. I'm hoping to get used to it so my printing can be somewhat legible.

3. I was surprised that there's no ribbon to use as a bookmark. I had to use a sticky note page marker. With the style of this book -- gilded edges, hard cover -- the missing ribbon is confusing, as well as inconvenient.

I think 3.5 stars would be a more accurate rating. This would easily get 5 stars from me if it were a bit bigger, laid flat, and had a ribbon bookmark!
1717 comments|486 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2011
I love to buy journals but often have trouble writing in them after just a few initial entries. It could be that life gets too busy or that there seems to be nothing in particular to write about that I will want to remember later. This journal has solved my writer's block by providing questions at the top of each page.

Pros
- Each page is dated with the month and day (January 1)
- There are five spaces below for the year "20__" so that you can start on the correct date you get the book. You do not have to wait until January to start your journal, but you can, if that's what you would like
- There are four lines to write your answer so you will have to be concise

Cons
- the binding is tight and the pages are rather small so you have to hold the book open to write in it (so it does not lay flat on it's own)
- there is gold foil which lines the outsides of the pages. It looks fantastic now, but I don't know how much it will hold up over the next 5 years
- the cover feels a little more like cardboard so the photo is a little misleading, but it is hardcover and sturdy

Something I wish I knew when I purchased it were the types of questions it would ask, so below are a sampling of the types of questions in the book. Some are more exciting and some are more boring but at least this gives you an idea.

Sample Questions:
What is your mission? (January 1)
Did you kiss someone today? (February 14)
Did you sleep alone last night? (March 3)
Who are you fooling? (April 1)
If you could travel anywhere tomorrow, where would you go? (May 25)
What makes a good friend? (June 9)
_______ is funny. (July 4)
Write down your last sent text message (August 9)
What shocking news have you learned recently? (September 22)
Halloween plans? What's your costume (October 31)
What was the last risk you took? (November 28)
Write down five days that describe today (December 25)

I would definitely purchase this as a gift for a friend or anyone who loves to write. I think when the journal is complete it will be really interesting to see how much your answers have (or haven't) changed over five years.
66 comments|226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2012
On one of our vacations, my wife and I came across these in a bookstore. My wife had always been a "journal-er" so to speak. But like most, she has stopped and started over the years across many journals. Sometimes she would write a ton, sometimes she would write three words. I tried but had far less success than she ever did.

This is why these are perfect. Each page corresponds to a day in the year and has spaces for an entry for 5 years on the same prompt, or question. As an example; "What about today would you like to remember?" or "How could today have been better?". The benefits are two-fold. It will allow you to track yourself over the years in responding to the same question. For my wife and I, it allows us a chance to peek in on each other and lets us see our shared experiences through each others eyes. This can be a very valuable exercise.

I travel a significant amount for work and my version is a bit beat up. But it will not wear any worse than any other hardcover book. I have also purchased additional ones for when we run through the 5 years...just in case they are not around in the future.

This is one of the smallest things I have ever bought that have had a significant impact on my life. It has earned every single star of the 5.
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2013
I keep a journal - a large, free-form, sprawling journal - but I've always liked the idea of having a journal in which I wrote one or two sentences for every day and did so consistently for a period of time. THIS is exactly what I'd been thinking of. Normally, I don't like small journals. I want something big so I can write and not feel cramped. But this is a small one - and I like it. A lot.

It's small enough to fit in my purse, and given the purpose of this book, that's awesome. For something like this, you WANT something small enough to fit in your bag so that when you've got a few minutes, you can pull it out, write in it, and stick it back in. For me, I can discreetly pull this out while I'm killing time in court (we're not allowed to read books or fool around on our iPads as we wait for the judge to take the bench), and write a few sentences and stick it right back in my briefcase. People just assume that it's a little personal diary and I'm writing a grocery list or something. It's innocuous but more importantly, very convenient.

Plus, it's lovely. It has gilded pages, and I think they're so pretty. I have no idea how well they will hold up over the years, but I don't really care. They're pretty now and even if they fade a little, so what?

I noticed that many of the other reviews complain that the binding is tight and makes it hard to write in the middle pages of this book. I can offer some help with that issue.

It's probably true that the binding is a bit tight. This is what you should do with ANY book where the binding is tight:

1. Hold the book so that it rests on its spine. Rest it on the table on the spine.
2. Let the front cover fall open, and down. Press it down a little, gently, so that it lies flat on the table.
3. Do the same with the back cover.
4. When both the front and back cover are flat on the table, with the pages pointing up, then take a few pages from the front and gently press them down to rest on the front cover.
5. Take a few pages from the back and gently press them down to rest on the back cover.
6. Keep doing this until you get to the middle of the book and all the pages are resting flat.

This is the best way to loosen the binding gently, without damaging or breaking it. This is exactly what I did when I first got this journal. I loosened the binding gently so that I coudl use it and have not had any trouble writing it. If you are too rough with it, you risk damaging the binding or breaking it, which you don't want to do. Just follow my instructions and you'll loosen it properly, and be able to enjoy this journal for a long time.
on March 2, 2015
(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review through Blogging for Books.)

When I was younger, I kept a diary and wrote in it fastidiously, especially during my tumultuous teenage years. College was predictably hectic and I soon fell out of the habit, never to return – but not for lack of effort. As an adult, I’ve tried to resurrect my journaling several times, with little luck; mostly I don’t have the time, or don’t know what to write about. Also it doesn’t help that my handwriting sucks, thanks to the ubiquity of computers. (My third grade teacher would be horrified!) So when I spotted Q&A A DAY on Blogging for Books, I thought I might give it a try.

It’s a cool idea that seems to surmount many of the obstacles I’ve encountered when journaling as an adult. Laid out kind of like a day planner, the book features a question or prompt for each day, with enough spaces to cycle through five years. Due to both the pointedness of each question, and the limited space provided per response, each question should take only a minute or two to answer. Maybe five if you really want to think on it. With such a small time commitment per day, it should be easy for even the most harried among us to keep up.

The questions run the gamut, from “How could today have been better?” to “What can’t you forget?”

Here are a few of my favorites:

“If this day was an animal, which animal would it be?”

“How do you describe home?”

“How can you help?”

“Who are you fooling?”

“What advice would you give to a second-grader?”

While the idea gets a full five stars from me, the execution leaves something to be desired. The book is impractically tiny. At nearly 1 1/4″ thick and 6 1/4″ tall x 4 1/4″ wide, it’s a little smaller than a mass market paperback (though just as thick), when I expected something closer in size to a trade paperback. (See my picture for a side-by-side comparison of all three.)

You know how, when you reach the end of a page in a notebook, your hand starts dangling off the bottom of the page? And this makes it increasingly difficult to write, let alone write legibly? And the problem only gets worse the thicker the notebook – and thus the higher the drop off? Q&A A DAY has that, and then some: since the book’s so ridiculously small, my palm starts dangling just halfway down. Not good.

And the lines! They’re so tiny! I did a side-by-side comparison with my current wide-ruled notebook, and the lines in Q&A A DAY look to be half the size. According to the internets, wide ruled paper has 8.7 mm spacing compared to 7.1 mm for college ruled – making the lines in Q&A A DAY significantly thinner than even college ruled. People with manual dexterity issues (or big and bubbly handwriting) need not apply.

I predict that I’ll use this journal anyway, because the idea is aces; but each morning, as I answer the question of the day, I shall silently curse the book’s designer for ruining an otherwise awesome journal.

On the positive side, Q&A A DAY is a handsome, attractive book. The cover has an earthy, cardboard feel that I really like, and the cover design is pretty swanky too. I just wish it was a few inches larger on either side. Someone make this happen please?
review image
on December 17, 2010
I have started a couple of these 5 year journals, and I liked this one because it gives you direction for your thoughts. It will also definitely be interesting to see what changes from year to year. I like the freedom to interpret these questions the way I want, and also to be pithy should the mood strike.

This is a small time commitment to make and I think the payoff down the road will be great.

My only complaint - and I am not sure how this would be fixed without a spiral binding, which I would not like - is that the binding is a little tight (for lack of a better word) and it can make it a bit difficult to write when you are near the center. This is really not a big deal though, as you are only writing a few lines per day. If this were a journal meant for more lengthy entries, it would be a big problem. I have not yet run into the grammatical errors that were spoken of in other reviews, but that may bother me as well.

Nice product, overall!
on May 25, 2013
Nearly 360 pages that you flip through every day and not even a simple ribbon placeholder? FAIL!! Other than that and the tiny spaces others have mentioned... This is a fun little book that gives me something to do before bed each night. I was so excited when I finally completed an entire year.

Some of the questions leave room for interpretation: "What kind of animal are you today?" and others are very straightforward: "What is the most expensive thing you're wearing right now". I like to bank up a few days at a time bc my life doesn't always allow answers for the questions asked on the correct days.

Very happy to have found this gem of a journal!
on March 6, 2015
Ah! So much excitement! I did a crazy happy dance when I saw this in my mailbox. I have been wanting this book for a long ass time; and now I am lucky enough to have this book. Not to mention that it is insanely beautiful. Highly detailed and classy cover and spine. I could stare at it all day. Then the pages have gold ends. So magical. This book could be a decoration on its own, with being so gorgeous!

It is a small book. Little over 6" tall, and 4" wide. Perfect for your coffee table, nightstand, or bed side-drawer. I think the size is ideal for this book. Makes it feel more precious.

I really like the idea of this journal. I already journal on my own. More about day-to-day events, thoughts, feelings, and dreams. This book is a cute and simple way to scribble down what was memorable that day and to answer the fun question asked. Making you reflect your day, and realize how wonderful life it. I can really see this book being fun to read 5 years from now. Seeing you develop and change in 5 years.

Here are some of the questions asked:
The best part of today?
List three foods you ate today.
What makes "you" you?
What do you want to remember about today?
What did you day dream about today?
___ made you laugh.
What is your secret passion?

The questions are simple, fun, deep, or cute. This book really makes you think about your life. While I love this book fully and completely, I would have loved to have a ribbon, attached to the spine, to hold my place. The book tends to close on its own. And when the book is as thick as it is, 365 pages, I keep losing where I was. The ribbon would be an extra classy touch to the book. I still love the book all the same. People who love to journal will like this book.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this honest review.
review image
on February 25, 2014
Maybe it's just a personal preference but I don't find most of the questions in the book to be satisfying for me. I hate writing, I hate essays but I am trying to start a daily journal that I can read and look back after a few years. I thought this book would fit the bill but it was a disappointment.

First of all, the book is small. 1.3 x 4.2 x 6.3 inches. I missed that. Smaller than a 5x7 photo for comparison.
Here are a few sampling of the questions in no particular order:
List the foods you ate today?
Who is the craziest person in your life?
What word did you overuse today?
Salty or sweet?
Did you sleep alone last night?
What do you want to postpone?
How did you start your day?
Is something in your way?
Are you working hard or hardly working?
Teacher or student?
Whose was the last wedding you attended?

There are A few good ones though:
Who do you count on?
If you can acquire talent without effort what would it be?
What is your dream job of the day?
When was the last time you spoke to your parents?
Are you in love?
Where do you want to travel next?

I would say probably 1/3 of the book have good questions. The other ones are meh. But again, it's probably a personal preference thing & not worth $10 in my opinion.