4.0 out of 5 stars Good but has it's limitations.
Background -
Published 11 months ago by Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunc...

3.0 out of 5 stars As expected
This product is easy to use. Fill the reservoir, plug it up, wait a few minutes... then bam!!! it's ready for use. It doesn't do as great a job as the hooded steamers, but its great for a midweek moisture booster.
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but has it's limitations., December 18, 2013
Background -
I noticed this steamer a while ago but did not purchase it for a long time because frankly the cost made me hesitate (I would rather spend my hair money on product or salon time). It looks like a modified portable clothing steamer and I could not see spending that much for something that had mixed reviews. But I investigated and found out that Q-Redew sends out coupon codes so I signed up for the Q-Redew mailing list. When I got the Black Friday deal I decided to purchase the Q-Redew.

How it works -
The Q-Redew has a detachable water reservoir. You detach the reservoir, fill it with water (in the instructions they suggest distilled water), insert the water filled reservoir, plug the Q-Redew in, let it heat up then depress the trigger and out comes steam.

Things to consider before purchasing the Q-Redew:

1) How does your hair respond to steam?
I am African-American with long 3b/c hair completely natural (no relaxers) for ten years. My hair loves steam and before I got the Q-Redew I would run the shower just to steam my hair. If your hair responds well to steam this will work. If your hair gets frizzy and looks horrible after exposure to steam skip this one. If you are not sure how your hair responds to steam try closing the bathroom door and window and using the shower to steam your hair and see what happens...

2) How do you expect to use this?
This is a handheld product with a small water reservoir not a hood steamer with a large water reservoir. It will not replace a salon style hood steamer. You may be able to use it to dampen your entire head of hair if you have thin/fine hair, very short hair (chin length) or are in the TWA stage. But if you have short (neck length) to long (shoulder length or longer) hair or thick hair this will not dampen your whole head without multiple refills and you will probably get very frustrated.

I use it to style the parts of my hair that get flat or need to be reshaped on non wash days. The Q-Redew refreshes my steam loving hair that has been styled and has product in it from the second day to day five when I rewash; I rarely need to add additional product.

My one frustration is the size of the water reservoir is small so if I am steaming a small spot I am fine but if I have to steam more than a small section I usually have to refill the water.

I can see this being good for air travel because I would not have to pack a lot of product.

Room for improvement-
The best way to improve this product would be a bigger water reservoir so I would not have to take this apart to refill during use. This is my one frustration with using the Q-Redew; super-sizing the water reservoir would be a dramatic improvement.
That would make the Q-Redew a five star product.

If the manufacturer is in the process of designing a super-size reservoir please consider a design that can be retrofit to devices in consumer hands now. I would pay extra for a reservoir that saves me time and frustration.

Conclusions -
It costs a lot for what you get at full price but if you find a good deal it is a good option. It is not designed to replace a hood steamer and dampen your whole head and works best on second day + hair when hair has been styled and has product. Think of this as more of a spot or section touch-up steamer. If you are comfortable with these limitations this is a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Miracle Worker, June 28, 2013
This review is from: Q-Redew Hand-held Hair Steamer (Misc.)
I purchased this hair steamer after reading about it in Essence Magazine. Since I am a Black female who is now wearing my hair in the "natural" state, this product has help maintain moisture in my hair. I usually use it during the week after having done a two-strand twist. It keeps my hair soft and moisturized. I recommend this steamer for all the beautiful Black women who are now wearing their lovely curls naturally.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jury still out on this! pros and cons 4b-4c CurleyGirl, July 8, 2013
This review is from: Q-Redew Hand-held Hair Steamer (Misc.)
Used to go to high priced natural salon whose focus was encouraging women to stop relaxing and hair health but focus was flat iron styles gorgeous cuts and one of the hair treatments was the steamer. After washing a light conditioner was applied then sit under the steamer followed by cool rinse. I think this same sequence should be used with this handheld steamer. I have 4b -4c hair and after watching a few you tube reviews I purchased this. One comment on you tube review is that this is still heat so a heat protectant should probably be used, after using this I agree.
- I used it before a braid out and to loosen and help detangling a puff and stretching hair for a bun.

Positives: I like that hair is steamed uniformly and not saturated. Great result and did not take a long to dry as wet hair.
Made detangling a breeze. easy to do bun on stretched hair.

Negatives: Steam is very hot. Cuticle must have opened due to extreme heat and hair felt rough even though it made combing through a breeze. Receptacle a little small so I had to refill it 3-4 Times in one session. In one of my refills I apparently did not let it heat up all the way and scalding water dropped out and burned my shoulder. Not enough to leave a mark but enough to shock me and make me pay more attention to indicator light.

Conclusion: Will use infrequently possibly not comb through feature. Will use a heat protectant and follow by cool spritz to close cubicles and a leave in conditioner w slip and coconut oil Shea butter

3.0 out of 5 stars As expected, February 17, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars My Q-Redew experience, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Q-Redew Hand-held Hair Steamer (Misc.)
I love my Q-Redew. My hair needs water everyday, and during the winter steam is a much better option for me, rather than drenching or spraying with water. But,its not just the product itself that earns the stars, but also the person who runs the company that makes it. Here is my experience. Admittedly, I am a gadget junkie. I have had natural hair for over 20 years but I have never let it get more than an inch long before buzzing it off. In January 2013, i decided to let it grow and see what it wanted to do. So while visiting D.C. this summer, i attended a natural hair show and saw the company founder demonstrating this product that I had never heard of. I thought it was great, but trying to resist the urge to buy another gadget, I walked away. Later while talking to another attendee, I noticed she had purchased the Q-Redew. I asked her why she bought it. She said that she had used a friend's, loved the way it softened her hair, and came to the show specifically to purchase her own at the promotional price. That was all I needed to give into my demons. I went back to the Q-Redew table and they had sold out! But Heidi offered to ship it for free, at the show price. Not only did she ship it, but it got to NJ before I did. That's the first example of excellent customer service.

I used it a few times at first, because it was my new toy, but didn't really need it during the summer. Into the drawer it went. Then, a few weeks ago and well past the warranty period, I pulled it out to deal with dry winter hair and had an issue more likely related to prolonged non-usage than to the manufacturing of the unit. I contacted the company via their website and Heidi responded to my question within hours. She went over and above to get my unit working properly. Her recommendation partially fixed the problem and then she sent me a new reservoir to totally fix it. When the first replacement reservoir arrived cracked, she immediately sent another, with a hand written note apologizing for the inconvenience. Example # 2 of excellent customer service.

Any and everything can and likely will go wrong with any and every product. It's how the company handles the situation and how they make you feel while doing so that really matters. Heidi gets 10 more stars for how she handled this issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars May work better on other hair types than 4c, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Q-Redew Hand-held Hair Steamer (Misc.)
Only con is water in steamer runs out fast have to change it every 5mins. Other than that it's okay nothing amazing for my 4c hair.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had hoped for, July 13, 2013
This review is from: Q-Redew Hand-held Hair Steamer (Misc.)
This product does produce steam but it does not consistently release the steam as I had hoped. Also the nozzle head that the water reservoir clips onto gets stuck in the wrong place. I have to push the swivel thingy back in place so that I can affix the water compartment to it. That sucks--because I fear that it will eventually break.

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge Disappointment, August 20, 2014
This review is from: Q-Redew Hand-held Hair Steamer (Misc.)
I just got it today, and so far I am not impressed. It barely produces any steam, intermittent at best. My my $20 clothes steamer works better at 1/3 the price. I also purchased one as a gift but am considering returning it unopened. Extremely disappointed, especially since I heard such great things about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Q-Redew Hand-held Hair Steamer (Misc.)
The only reason I do not "LOVE" this product is the frequency which I feel I need to refill the water well. Otherwise, it is a great product. I am still trying to work it perfectly into my hair regimen. My hair texture is coarse, dry, fine and tight curled. When not properly moisturized, it frizzes and mattes. I find using the steamer provides moisture without soaking my hair and makes my hair more pliable. I wish it were a little less cumbersome for travel purposes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely useless, August 26, 2013
This review is from: Q-Redew Hand-held Hair Steamer (Misc.)
I have 3A hair or botticelli curls that won't stay overnight no matter how much product I use or what I do with them (pineapple, bun, etc). I hate having to wet my hair every morning in order to get a decent second day hair because is not convenient in winter and because my hair takes forever (more than 4 hours) to dry and it just doesn't look professional to go to work with it.

I bought this product hoping that it would steam my hair and help my curl come back to life after I wake up. First of all, this product gets REALLY hot, so if you are going to use it you need to be careful not to get it too close to your ears, scalp, etc because it will definitely hurt. Second of all, it didn't do a thing for my hair. I tried it on my hair with product from the day before, then the next time with a leave in conditioner and the third time with gel and every single attempt I ended up with a frizzy mess.

If you ask me, this is WAY overpriced.

I have run out of options and I will just have to consider this product a complete failure for me. Maybe it is good for other hair types, but definitely not for really soft curly hair that has trouble holding curl after the first day.

For now I will use it as a clothes steamer... it worked better for that at least.

Q-Redew Hand-held Hair Steamer