5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had known earlier
Published 21 months ago by Jolly Roger

2.0 out of 5 stars They don't last long.
I'm on my second Q-See adapter.Both of them direct from Q-See.

Once they start to fail, you'll get horizontal lines on the output video.
This is my second power adapter, in 18 months on this Q-See 8 camera DVR.

One power adapter, for 8 cameras.

Published 19 months ago by J. Jensen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had known earlier, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Q-See 12V 5AMP Camera Power Adapter with 4-way and 8-way Power Splitters QSS1250A (Personal Computers)
I purchased a 16 channel surveillance camera system (Lorex). The adapters shipped with the package are rated at "2 Amps," and they attach to a 4-way splitter for power. I discovered an 8-way splitter on Amazon, purchased that and swapped out the 4-way for the 8-way so I could power up to 8 cameras with 1 adapter. I'm glad I ended up touching the adapter the next day...it was HOT! I then did some research. I am no electrician and I have no specialized knowledge thereon. I wanted to write this review so others similarly situated might benefit. To do so, though, I need to provide a little math (sorry!):

I have two types of cameras: bullets and domes. The bullets are each rated to draw 500 milliamps; the domes pull 250 milliamps. Incidentally, the bullets I have are here: Lorex Weatherproof Super Plus Resolution Security Camera LBC7051. Therefore, if one uses 4 such bullet cameras , that will pull 2 amps (i.e., 500 milliamps x 4 = 2 amps). Eight bullets will pull 4 amps, etc. So, I realized that I probably didn't have enough amps in my ADAPTERS to power the amount of cameras I had.

I then discovered the Q-See adapter. It was confusing because the picture only showed the 8-way splitter. Rest assured, it does come with, also, a 4 way splitter and a 5 amp power adapter. In using this, the adapter isn't nearly as hot and I feel comfortable that the adpater can handle my max load of 4 amps (i.e., if I power 8 bullets at once, each pulling 500 milliamps).

So, my only regret is that I didn't find this item a bit earlier since I spent about $20 on two 8-way splitters that didn't even include a power adapter! I'm happy I found this item...better late then never. If I decide to expand my system where it would be helpful to purchase another one of these power adapter/splitter sets by Q-See, I hope they are still being sold from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power supply included, January 27, 2013
The product comes with the 12 volt power supply as well as 2 splitters. Unfortunately the picture only shows a 8 way splitter and no power supply.

2.0 out of 5 stars They don't last long., December 12, 2012
I'm on my second Q-See adapter.Both of them direct from Q-See.

Once they start to fail, you'll get horizontal lines on the output video.
This is my second power adapter, in 18 months on this Q-See 8 camera DVR.

One power adapter, for 8 cameras.

My other (higher end) Q-See system came with a power distribution box (not a small power supply) with a 10amp rating, for 8 cameras. No problems in the 18 months being installed. It's also sold on Amazon, for around $55-60.00 and is labeled by Q-See. Pre connectorized with 8 PL-21 power connectors, and plugs into 110V via a provided cable.

I recommend a 7amp or great power supply.
You never want to run your power supply at it's limit or close to the limits. Better to get a bit bigger unit, for a few dollars more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great. Does what it says., February 19, 2013
This is a quality replacement part. works, great, does what it says, no issues whatsoever. Seems to be made of quality cable and molded ends are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Parts Included, December 20, 2012
D. Lord (Southern California) - See all my reviews
I purchased a Q-See QM6006B-4 camera system and installed it using two 100 foot long cables and two of the standard 60 foot cables, which came with the system. About three weeks later, all four of my cameras were not working and all I saw was "Video Loss". Q-See's product support / customer service was no help (ridiculously slow to respond with little to no information). After troubleshooting and some research via the Web, I was able to determine that the power adapter was not working. The 3000mA power adapter that came with the system was insufficient because I added a couple of longer cables, which required more power or caused a power loss. This product is more than sufficient to power my four cameras because it is 5000mA (5amps). It comes with one four wire splitter and one eight wire splitter, so you can use whichever you require. I now have peace of mind that my system will not stop working. Additionally, I have included a photo since the one already posted does not show what exactly you get.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 5, 2014
It works for what I needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I would have gotten these years ago!!, June 7, 2014
Theses things are great. I got rid of 8 individual power supplies and 1 whole power strip. Now everything is plugged into one power strip. My cameras love the extra power at night. These have 5 amps I think so I got 2 to power 8 cameras. I think the 8 way would be to much for the power supply.

5.0 out of 5 stars as needed, April 30, 2014
my oem power supply gave up (after 7 years). this is exact replacement. 'plug and play' as it were. works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for freeing up space on my surge protecter., March 28, 2014
When buying individual or dual pack cameras, each camera comes with one adapter with one connection. With 16 cameras, that requires many plugs as well as space. With the 4 and 8-way power splitters connected to a 5 amp power adapter. I only nee two plugs and two power adapters. This creates a cleaner area and lessons the clutter of wires behind the DVR and fewer points where dust can collect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adapter, January 31, 2014
Fully functioning product that is highly recommended. A must for your home security needs. Arrived in a safe and well packed manner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›