5.0 out of 5 stars Local set up easy, remote view not so easy.
Published 19 months ago by F. Vid

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published 18 months ago by Gary Ward

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Local set up easy, remote view not so easy., December 7, 2012
This review is from: Q-See QC448-840-5 8-Channel Surveillance System with 500 GB Hard Drive and 8 Weatherproof Color CCD Cameras, Black (Electronics)
After receiving the DVR and cameras I decided to set the system up temporarily so I could configure and test locally and remotely before installing on my third floor. Boy am I glad I did that!!! After 2 days, a new router, and 6 hours of reading all I could get to work was the local viewing on my LAN. 1st problem was that I have Verizon FIOS and the router they provide is trash. It would not let me forward my ports so I could gain access to the DVR from a remote internet connection. So I purchased a new ASUS router. After the new router was installed I was able to get connected on my mobile device, I phone 5, as well as on my local network. Still no remote internet connection. I searched Q-see.com and read everything I could find even searching Google. Nothing helped, I followed everything in could find to get a domain set up and still couldn't get remote access. Now to the 2nd problem, DVR set up instructions. What a disaster and how confusing. Once I called Q-see and talked with a wonderful technical support person, her name was Faith by the way, she had me up and running in minutes. Come to find out, everything sent with the system including the manuals are wrong. Even the software they send you to monitor the DVR has misleading information in it. All in all the system is wonderful. The customer support is wonderful, if you don't mind waiting to get through. But I must warn anyone looking to get this system on the internet to monitor remotely. Don't waste your time with the instructions, once you get the dvr and cameras plugged in, plug the network in and then call them. Hopefully you get someone as knowledgeable as Faith. The technical support will have you running in no time. Hope this helps anyone else from having the same issues I had.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 21, 2013
I like the cameras and the ease of hooking them up . I am not very happy because i can not get the remote monitoring to work and it is very frustrating. Every time we go in to change options to connect to the modem they do not work and there is no phone number to call for help. They offer free tech support on the web, but sometimes you need to talk to someone in order to get things resolved.

5.0 out of 5 stars See in the dark, December 28, 2012
In a rural area with no street lights and many minutes away from the nearest police, this gave me the eyes I needed to see what is around my house day and night.
Easy setup and operation. Has worked well even at winter temps below zero degrees.
I patched the video output into the TV antenna system, which is wired to every room and TV int he house using a Video to RF Converter. (Dynex RF Modulator) Now all I have to do is switch any TV to AIR CH 4 and I can view the 8 cameras. See who is knocking at the door or coming up the driveway without getting off of the couch!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad hard drive, December 19, 2012
After reciving the unit i went to table test the unit to make sure all camera's and cords worked. The sytem is set up out of the box to a high resolution screen setting so when i tried to hook up using a vga cord it would not display so i call customer service to be put on hold for a hour before being hung up on called back one more hour on hold. I had to rewire system to work from rca cords to get screen to work long enough to get into system and reset screen setting to lower res to work on my monitor. Now one week into use the hard drive has froze 3 diff times in a week. keeps my screen locked onto old pictures until i reboot dvr. Amazon is sending a replacement but i would not buy this one again and if this new unit does the same i will be sending all of it back. It would not be fun to take down 8 camera's 1000 feet of wires and 2 days worth of work becouse of cheap china junk. No where in discription does it say comes with wires for camera so i ordered 8 150 foot cords only to have cords in the box Buyer beware of this unit. will keep fingers crossed that the new hard drive does not freeze up also.

UPDATE: replacement unit arrived as i was only going to swith out hard drives as the one i bought freezes all the time. I hook up new hard drive only to have it in constant spin mode once its powered up it makes a loud spinning noise like a bad hard drive in search mode. Amazon has no link for replacing a replaced order. So stuck with a piece of s*** that freezes as i sent back the replacement order. Beware of this cheap china unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Q-See vs Defender, June 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I worked with and installed a 16 channel Defender surveillance system last year in my home, so when I started putting this Q-See system together, I found myself comparing what differences and similarities between the two were. They are remarkably similar, with a few key differences.

Cameras:
The cameras for both the Q-See and the Defender are virtually the same. They are shaped the same, are about the same size, and the plastic weather shield hood over each camera slides forwards and backwards on both brands. Their night time viewing distance looks to be virtually the same. You can mount one of these cameras to your garage and see people walking on sidewalks and driving by in the street in the middle of the night, no light needed. If you happen to have a porch light on, this extends the night time viewing distance even further, providing some light for the cameras to pick up on.

Both brands of cameras have color video for the daytime, and grey scale black and white for night. The only difference I've seen with this between the two brands in the Defender cameras work very distinctly in either color or black and white. You can even see the cameras switch into black and white mode when the daylight gets too low. The Q-See on the other hand seems to work in both black and white and color, all at the same time. When testing out the lighting, I was able to get the cameras to focus on dark objects very close up in low light, and the camera started viewing it in the night vision gray scale, while other areas of the room that more more brightly lit, still showed in full color. It was a very interesting effect.

While the colors and hues are adjustable on both brands of systems, I think the brightness that comes through on the Q-See system is a bit better. On a dark grey rainy day, the Q-See cameras seem to show everything as bright an sunny, giving you even more clarity. My Defender system tends to see the gloomy rainy days as being the same as dusk, and instead of brightening the view, they instead switch into the grey scale night vision mode.

Cables:
Both brands of security systems use the same types of cables. It's actually two cables that are seamed together into one, but then split into two again and each end. These cables provide the video signal and also the power to the cameras. So there's no need to run extension cables out to where your cameras are located. These cables provide all the power you need. They are shielded to protect against the weather, and work very well. If you are in need of especially long cables, there are spools of longer cable that can be bought separately. I've seen these cables come as long as 500 feet in length.

Software:
The software is the biggest difference when comparing the Q-See and the Defender systems. The program to run everything is installed right onto the DVR that comes with the systems. While I found the actual use of the software with the Defender systems a bit easier to navigate, the depth of settings and options with the Q-See software is more extensive. Defender software is more set-up-and-go, while Q-See software is more about picking just the right settings for your needs. I found it took more time to navigate and learn the Q-See software, but I was able to personalize more settings with it as well, over the Defender.

Conclusion:
The Defender and the Q-See systems both have their strengths. While I like the more user friendly software of the Defender brand systems, I like the brightness in low-light settings of the Q-See cameras a bit more. Both have great viewing during the day, and both do well when working in night vision. But the low light visibility with the Q-See (that time between day and night) is a bit better than with the Defender system. So either system you'll be happy with, since they both work extremely well. But if your looking for the simplest and most user friendly software, you might find the Defender software easier to learn. If you want to have the best video footage possible, for all lighting conditions, this Q-See system is a great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top 5 reasons why this system is an excellent choice, June 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a truly excellent home surveillance system with some modern features that are difficult to find on another system at a similar price.

First, the H.264 compression is excellent. This is one of the most compact video compressions available - meaning that it creates a very small video file while still keeping high quality. You can view these H.264 videos in .mp4 format on any PC or Mac and most smartphones (iPhone, Android). Smaller files means faster streaming and lower data transfer when I view the videos from my phone.

Second, the cameras are daylight and infrared for night vision recording. The advertised distance is 75 feet of night vision. In my own system, I can easily and clearly see the perimeter of my home up to the fence - which is about 40 feet at the furthest distance. Also this Q-see infrared shoots in color, while many other system are only night vision black and white. Don't be put off by the 480p advertised resolution (same as TV). The cameras are crystal clear and even the night vision is amazing.

Third, this system has it's own DVR and processor. Think of it like a stand-alone computer that runs this whole security system. For the price, this is a great deal. Most other similar priced systems will stream to your PC, so your PC must be on and online for the cameras to record. I prefer Q-see's setup because I have installed the DVR unit in a closet and can forget about it unless I have a security threat. I don't have to worry about having the computer off and missing video recordings. The DVR takes a standard VGA monitor cable. But using a monitor is not necessary since the DVR streams online as well.

Fourth, a 500GB hard drive is included - which give me space for 500 hours of recording time at the highest resolution, up to 10,000 hours for the lowest. 500 hours is nearly 3 full weeks of recording time! And after the hard drive is full, the system will automatically start saving over the oldest video recordings. Having a hard drive included is great because I can use the system right out of the box. And since this system is stand-alone. I am not filling up hard drive space on my PC.

* I've uploaded a chart that shows the different video settings and how many hours of recording each will give you.

And #5 is the apps that are available on iOS (iPhone, iPad), Android and even Kindle. With a cellular connection or even an internet connection, you can view the live feed from your home, or watch saved recordings. Up to 20 different users can access your DVR using wireless devices, so you can give permission to family, babysitters or anyone.

More thoughts: This Q-see systems uses 8 cameras that must be individually wired to the DVR unit. Yes, a wireless wi-fi setup would be much more convenient, but when it comes to home security, I trust wires much more than wireless. So for me the extra time spent in installation is well worth the peace of mind - knowing that my system will rarely ever stop recording. Even if the internet connection into my house goes down this system is still running and recording on the DVR. The only thing that will stop this system from running is a full power loss to the house - which again I have already overcome by adding a battery backup: APC BE550G Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V. All-in-all, this system is very dependable and intelligently designed. Wi-fi cameras may be trendy but not nearly as reliable as this system.

Installation: I have built home computers in the past, replaced parts, etc. but I am in not an expert in hardware. Installation with the Q-see was more complicated that booting up a PC or Mac and installing Windows (because the menu are a bit dated looking and there are a number of options to set), but no where near as complex as building a barebones computer. Most of my time was spend drilling holes in the walls and running cables. It took me just over 3 hours to do it all. From there on out, it took less than 30 minutes - and was as easy as plugging everything in, booting up the system, and following the Quick Start booklet instruction to set the date/time and your video resolution.

All in all, this is one great system that gives you a lot of important features at a very attractive price. If you are looking for a basic video surveillance system for your home, office, garage, etc, this is definitely worth considering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up physically, hard to set up for internet - still, a useful surveillance system for the home or small business, June 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Q-See 8-Channel Surveillance system is a very useful tool for monitoring your home and small business remotely, and for recording video of what goes on even when you're there.

It's easy to set up physically. It comes with everything you need to screw the eight cameras into the wall or ceiling, wherever you like. Each camera comes with a 50 foot cable - and they have to each be physically plugged in to the DVR and into a power cord near to the DVR. That means that if you use them outdoors, you will likely need to drill a hole in the wall so you can run the cables outside. You'll also need to think about where to place the cables strategically. Of course, you can buy additional cable from Q-See if you need to run the wires further. The DVR itself is easy to set up - you'll need to plug it in, though, to a monitor or a television. If you plug it into a monitor you'll need to pick up a VGA cable. If you plug it into a television, you'll need to pick up a BNC to RGA adapter and an RGA video cord. This unit won't connect via HDMI - which makes sense given that the cameras are standard definition.

Once you've hooked it all up, you need to set it up. First you set up the DVR, and then hook it up to the network so you can view things remotely. You need to have it plugged in via Ethernet first, and then it takes some time checking the manuals and making sure that your port is open. It took me quite a while, but I finally got it working and it works fine. As far as I can tell it's going to be different for each system, so anything I figured out would likely not be more helpful than the instruction manual that comes with this. The interface is a bit clunky but it does the trick - and it is pretty cool to be able to see my house when I'm away. There's even an app for the iPhone, that you can set up and view things there.

The image quality is fine - it's actually better than I thought. I see surveillance images in the local library and in various gas stations, and this looks a lot crisper than that. It is standard definition - but it's not fuzzy. You can even set it up to do night vision, up to 75', which is pretty fantastic and gives a good sense of security late at night. You can check what's going on without going outside - and, I imagine, that would have been great when we still had babies (and babysitters).

This is a pretty good surveillance set up at a reasonable price. It's easy to set up, even if there's a bit of a learning curve when it comes to setting it up for remote viewing. The images look good. I like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great clarity, even at night, May 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow. I have never had an entire security camera system before. Considering all the horror stories from other systems, I was a little wary of setting up the electronics - port forwarding and all that. Have no fear. I had it up and running within a few hours.

Getting the cameras to work was no problem. Just plug everything in. You'll need supply your own cable to the TV or monitor.

It was the networking part that was a little frustrating. If you have AT&T DSL, beware. My gateway wouldn't let me do the UPnP thing. That's really not the fault of Q-See.

Instructions on the two poster size sheets of quickstart pages were clear. I ran into some glitches. My fault for typing 3777 instead of 37777. No wonder it wouldn't work.

The software for my PC made adding the cameras automatic. I suggest doing that instead of going through the browser. I couldn't connect straight through the browsers.

Kindle Fire has three apps that are variations of Q-See. I picked Q-See QC View HD. That was perfect for my needs.

The images are clear whether I see them on my TV, remotely through my monitor or on my Kindle Fire. Night vision is excellent. I am amazed at the details I could see, even across my courtyard in the dark.

The biggest drawback I see to the system is the wiring. That's where I think a wireless system might be better, although I heard clarity suffers. Eight cameras means eight wires, eight holes through the walls; and we have to attempt to make them all reach within 50 feet of the DVR, which needs ethernet access to the modem.

The good thing about the wires is they come directly out the back of the camera. That way, they can go through the wall behind the camera. No way can a thief just cut it.

We only have to set it up once. After the wiring and port forwarding are done, just sit back and relax. It's a thing of beauty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple installation, April 26, 2013
The installation was very simple. The system works well in daylight and via night vision after dusk. I am having a glitch with getting the system to open to the internet, but I am sure I will get it to do so when I have the time to work with the service reps.
For the price a super value. Clear images. I would recommend this system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, April 21, 2013
Mikel (Oklahoma City) - See all my reviews
I still have yet to get all my cameras in place around the house, but testing revealed pretty good quality for 480p in sunlight and NV. The DVR works great and starts up fast. user menu is easy. I guess the only issue i've had was getting the setup going to view the cameras online, but thats an issue with my internet/router configuration, not the QC products.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›