on September 13, 2012
Before I begin this review let me lay it down for all potential international buyers (like myself).

- this is a 115V ONLY machine. If your country operates on 115V then all is good but if you are on a 220-230V supply like me you'll need a step-down converter
- though the machine's power label states this machine as 115V/1.7A I have been able to operate this on a 60W wall-plug transformer
- despite all minor annoyances you are still looking at a substantial amount of savings as it retails for US$148 where I'm from

---Build Quality---
- it is larger than the photos suggest but with a comparable footprint to earlier models
- it is heavy but this ensures it stays on your desk with little chance of it getting accidentally knocked off
- glossy plastic used is a fingerprint magnet
- if you are using aftermarket labels without the caddy you will have problems feeding a roll into an empty caddy from the rear (hinge space) as the space is really tight in there

---The Machine Itself---
- standard buttons such as feed, cut, power and "Editor-Lite" (more on this later)
- pilot lights are not obnoxiously bright
- on the economy mode print quality is acceptable on tiny font size < size 8
- nice, grippy rubber feet so it stays on the desk

---Machine Driver/ Running as Networked Printer---
- driver installation was smooth but do follow the instructions to the "T"
- you need to disable "Editor-Lite" by long pressing the button before you connect the USB cable to your PC during driver install. If you don't do so driver will not install properly
- I connected this to a W7 64-bit desktop and the supplied driver works right off the bat
- I then tried connecting this to my home server (WHS2011) and the W7 64-bit driver works for this install too. This turned my label printer into a networked printer with WHS2011 as the print server
- the driver deployment wizard (Brother BRAdmin Professional) works and installed the driver and utilities onto all my networked machines (clients).
- no indication of how much memory is in this printer (if any) but if you run more than one instance of print job it slows down a bit
Machine Software and Utilities
- if you are running MS Office on your machines Brother will install an add-on for you to import data into the P-Touch editor software
- database linking is buggy... seriously, you guys have been at this for years and STILL haven't fixed this issue
- if you deal with XLS files then it sometimes works better if you convert the file to CSV before importing it into P-Touch Editor
- lots of templates to download for free
- if you print just the odd label here and there then all these won't matter
- firmware and software updating tool works well and is very intuitive. I suggest updating it the very first time you run the software
- Editor-Lite Software allows you to quickly print a label by skipping P-Touch editor. The software is built into the printer but can be disabled. When enabled you will see a new drive appears in your My Computer page, it appears as a removable drive. I disable it by default.

---Bottomline---
It works and for the low price they are selling this for it is just too good to pass on. If you have an older version I'd stick to the older machine as there is little in terms of upgrade. If you do not have a label printer then just get this. It's a lot cheaper than what they are charging for their older machines and if you run an e-commerce business like I do it helps to have 2 printer loaded with 2 different sized labels so you do not need to change rolls all the time.

P.S. English is not my native language so please excuse my grammar.

Update - I've put 5 rolls of labels through this machine and it is still working fine. So far none of my print jobs have had issues but it doesn't do well for fine graphics (expected). If you are printing maps for example the print quality isn't acceptable unless it is a custom drawn map with thick lines. It does vector graphics okay; icons, banner images etc.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2012
Overall: the Hardware is solid - the Software is well done & very capable, with a few minor start-up glitches
-----
Bit of an adventure to install w Mac-OS X. The 'Printer-Driver' would not install from the software-CD in the box. Eventually downloaded from their website. Good compatibility with various Versions of Mac-OS X - we've run it with 10.10.2 thru 10.4.11 - same great flawless performance. After installation we have not seen any bugs. Printer connected via USB
-----
At this time the 'Editor Lite' software is not Mac compatible. Mac-Users have to use the full 'P-Touch Editor' software - may be overkill for simple address labels, but gives you complete freedom with label appearance. Almost any address will fit on regular small labels. Even long complicated five-line addresses - just use smaller font-size & line-spacing. Can also save your labels for next time
-----
Prints a nice address label. Automatically cuts each new label from the roll. They stick to an envelope with no problem.
We are using the DK-1209 Small Address Labels - roll of 800 for ~$15
QL-700 Dimensions -
__ Height: 6"
__ Width : 5"
__ Depth : 8.5"
__ Weight: 3.5 pounds
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 1, 2012
This device is fast, durable, prints high quality (options between speed priority 300 dpi, quality priority 300 dpi, and quality priority 600 dpi). It performs exactly as expected. Consumables are a little expensive (the continuous tape (DK-2205) costs more than $20), but there are a lot of generic products meant to work with it. All DK labels compatible with the Brother QL-570 are also compatible with this device -- the QL-700 is faster than the QL-570.

I bought this device for $49.99 from Staples on sale.
on January 1, 2013
The QL-700 works well with my Windows 8 computer. It prints a variety of useful labels quickly. The software provided enables you to import contacts from MS Outlook 2010 for use in label printing for mailing. I mostly use it for mailing purposes.

Contrary to another reviewer, I was able to use the pbSmartPostage (once I ordered and received the proper labels) to print postage. No subscription is required, but you "buy" postage and then deduct what you use. Just ensure you log into the right pbSmartPostage site. Oh, get a postage scale so you know how much postage to print. It's easy to remove/insert different label rolls as needed. I find this printer much easier to use for the occasional label than a label sheet where you have to select which label row and column to print.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2012
great printer of high quality material, nice design, new model. product brand name is famous n reliable. recommended, for good price...
pay attention: items described in "what's in the box" in this page are not the same that come with the printer:
- AC cable, no adapter
- no carrying case
- 2 tapes (big & small size) come instead of the one described, no need to order others
- then all other docs are within the supplied CD probably
on April 1, 2012
I had expected this printer to integrate with Excel requiring minimal effort (Brother does provide an add-on application) but after a few hours installing, reinstalling, and searching online support I simply gave up and printed the labels one at a time from the basic application. Generic issue relating to 'communication with printer' through MS Office, oddly there was no communication issue using the default basic software.

The machine otherwise printed as advertised.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 19, 2012
I have had GREAT luck and been exceptionally pleased with all BROTHER products that I have purchased in the past (sewing machines x2, laser printers, etc.), so decided to get this label printer from BROTHER when I found myself needing one for my business. It lives up to BROTHER's usual track record... it's well-made, very easy to hook up and worked prefectly out of the box. I have printed many labels with it by now and it works perfectly every time with a variety of computers, even a finiky windows-based machine that doesn't like to talk to much. Additionally, the label stock for BROTHER label printers is quite a bit cheaper than for DYMO or others I investigated. I highly recommend this label/postage printer.
on July 12, 2012
Works great with an older MacBook running OS 10.5.8. It was a simple plug and play setup. When I used the included software to print barcode labels, it worked perfectly.

I'm using the DK-2214 half inch continuous feed label roll for the bar codes. I was able to easily design the exact length of the label I wanted, and the auto cutter automatically cuts it at the correct length. I am printing the labels in a very compact format, and yet my scanners still read the label when scanned.

I have also used it for other labels, and have appreciated the ability to change label sizes on the fly with the continuous roll format (You can also get labels that are not continuous feed, and the printer automatically loads and advances the presized labels as needed).
on August 23, 2012
This is a great labeler at a great price. Setup is easy: just plug it in. Everything installed quickly and automatically in Windows. There seems to be Mac software also included. There is "Lite" software built into the machine so that when you turn it on, AutoPlay opens and asks if you want to open the folder to view the software. It's quite convenient. But one limitation related to this is that the software cannot be run from the desktop. And the machine turns off after a period of inactivity. I contacted Brother support and they confirmed that one cannot stop the machine from turning off after a preset time of non-use. You just have to hit the power button on top to turn it on again. If you use it more often throughout the day, you should have this problem. And Brother confirmed that the software cannot be run from the desktop. It only runs as built into the machine. There is more robust software included and available for download. It's more than I need; the Lite version is easy and fast for making on-the-fly labels throughout the day. The other thing I wanted was die-cut yellow labels and they do not exist that I have found, other than one continuous label from Brother. They said they have no plans to make die-cut yellow labels. If you can live with these annoyances, this is a fantastic machine.
on August 16, 2013
This printer works good and really fast, but for commercial/industrial use the consumables cost are crazy expensive. Additionally, Brother makes you buy not only the thermic paper roll, but the roll with some a plastic base that creates unnecessary trash, and increases the price; this plastic base should be reusable or included on the printer structure. I trade this products and I have received many returns due to the high cost of consumables.