5.0 out of 5 stars I'm liking this NAS
Published on June 28, 2012 by CAWireless

3.0 out of 5 stars TS219PII
I've owned this QNAP product for a year now. I'm using it with 2x 2TB WD RED's as single disks. Everything you read about QNAP's quality and hardware is true. When comparing QNAP (side by side) to it's competitors (like models) QNAP units typically have more powerful processors and more installed memory. Do QNAP devices often cost a little more.. Yes.

You...
Published 13 months ago by Ricochet

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm liking this NAS, June 28, 2012
This review is from: Qnap Network Storage Server (TS-219PII-US) (Personal Computers)
This is a new 2-bay (i.e. takes 2 hard drives) network storage device from QNAP, which is known for making a line of storage products for both businesses and consumers. It's definitely a step up from the low-end NAS market (filled by manufacturers such as Western Digital, Buffalo, and Iomega). What that means in practice is that it's faster and has a more robust feature set than the cheaper NAS's. You can do basic backups plus other neat things such as using the NAS as a streaming media server or even to share pictures on the web.

The two big players in the mid-tier NAS market are QNAP and Synology. I actually purchased a Synology NAS first, based on some good reviews, but ended up returning it after noticing that it failed to complete a scheduled backup without notifying me of the error. Since backup was the primary reason I wanted an NAS, this was definitely not good...

I've been happy with the QNAP since I received it. It's got a fairly speedy Marvell 2.0 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM, which means that it can probably keep up with most of what you throw at it, whether it is transferring large files or streaming HD video to your computer. The 2 bays allow you to set up a basic RAID array if you desire, although it won't be as robust or snappy as RAID on a 4-bay or larger NAS. I'm fine with this though. One really neat aspect about QNAP is that there is a thriving online community with lots of folks willing to help you out if you run into a problem - definitely beats trying to reach a customer support rep.

The device itself is fairly quiet and compact. There's more plastic than I would have liked (my previous Iomega had more metal and felt really well-built), but only time will tell if this will mean any difference in durability. Having a couple of USB 3.0 slots is great - transferring files to an external hard drive was a breeze. With a couple of 3TB WD hard drives installed, this should definitely last me a while (or at least until I need more storage space!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great NAS, October 4, 2012
Yamileth Cordero (Miami, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I was a little bit skeptical about going into the NAS field with this brand but everything went better than expected. The setup was very easy. Some people may find it a little limited, feature-related, but all at all is a great system. The NAS run a linux OS so every hard drive you put on this baby will have to be formatted into ext3 or ext4. The same goes for any eSATA hard drive you plan to attach to it.

Very quite, low power consumption and for anyone into downloading (direct, bt or magnet link) this puppy owns a very nice download station which will fullfil all your needs. Time machine works great, 100% compatibility with mountain lion. And for win7 you will need to install a software to performed backups, nothing difficult though.

Downsides:
You only can back up into the primary drives, you can't do this to the eSATA drive.
Printer server: works great, but you will need to go PC by PC installing the proper printer drivers.

One feature that i really liked: it will auto-configure your router. You only had to have a public IP Address(recommended) and a UPnP compatible router and the NAS will open all the ports neccesary for all your needs.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars TS219PII, June 16, 2013

You do however get what you pay for. Some of this is in quality, but the majority is in performance and features. Clock speed and memory is everything in a NAS. Managing large amounts of data can be time consuming. Doing it on a underpowered NAS is downright painful. The other thing QNAP often has over the competition are features. SATA hotswap capability, USB 3.0 and eSATA. You don't always find these on competitor's units at the same price point.

Software is the second most important component. QNAP loses a few stars here. Development is not bleeding edge. Releases take longer and the wait between releases has been long from time to time. Overall I am very pleased with the power and performance of my NAS. Having owned several consumer grade NAS products, The QNAP's performance is much better and worth the additional cost IMO.

If the operating system was updated more frequently and updated with the latest versions of packages available, it would be a 4-5 star product. From a hardware and feature standpoint, it's extremely hard to beat.

Update **This product performs very well with QTS 4.0.2 which was released late July. Reliability and stability remain high.

Update2*** This past year I have had the opportunity to work with both QNAP and Synology devices side by side. The user experience is almost identical except for the following. The QNAP boxes are generally more powerful. Faster set up and shorter RAID creation times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great NAS, June 2, 2012
Amazing NAS, extreme amount of options and settings. I installed 2 3TB HDDs in Raid 0 and it screams.
Perfect for home use, highly recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT device, make sure your drives are compatible!!, April 2, 2013
After reading review after review and after flip-flopping between this and a comparable Synology model, i finally took the drive on the TS-219PII-US model. I would have bought on Amazon, but a competitor was offering the exact same unit $50 off... i now see that Amazon has matched the price. Anyway, the unit came with instructions that left a little to be desired. Was sufficient but not necessarily thorough. Once you get the unit online (took about 5 mins) online help is much better.

After bringing the unit online, i was unable to get the RAID to create and initialize one of my disks. After looking into this a bit, it became apparent as to what my issue was. I had attempted to build a RAID cluster with 2 different types of disks... one of which wasn't supported by this unit. After replacing the non-supported disk, i was able to reset the cluster, re-initialize, and format the RAID1 cluster. Setup provided no other issues, took about 6 hours (90% was formatting time) and this unit has been in operation for about 2 weeks now. Unlike other reports, i downloaded the firmware update from QNAP, unzipped it, and was able to update the ROM on the first attempt without any issue.

The interface and standard tools are GREAT! I was able to customize the services running on the unit (such as image service, music service, itunes service, FTP service, etc) with little effort. This thing has more options that i'll probably ever use and appears to be very solid as far as stability. One of the best tools is the ability to install new scripts/binaries to expand the usability of this unit. On my previous NAS device, i had multiple scripts and processes i had to perform/maintain to allow for backing up my data to an external USB disk. I was able to replace all those scripts by setting up a backup definition that allows me to select what files/folders to backup and to what device.

Overall, 5 stars. Yes, there was some fun in the disk incompatibility area, and I caution everyone to confirm the device will support their disks (or buy disks supported by this device), but the overall stability and usability of this device has been perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great NAS! Very cool for multimedia, December 15, 2012
I had about 25 years of music/movies saved external HD's, did my homework on NAS. Was impressed on all QNAP's reviews on the web, decided on this NAS. Greatest decision ever. Was blown away with all the cool stuff in it's software! The multimedia features (fotos, videos, music stations) were very cool. Very easy to use. I Uploaded all mine and my family's music, movies and business files onto the NAS. They can access them from their PC's wherever they are. Even connected up 2 ip cameras to it for frontyard and backyard security surveillance. Maxed out the capacity since I purchased it intending to use it for myself! So we just ungraded to a TS-469 PRO. Mind even more blown! QNAP makes great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, and has plenty of features, June 19, 2013
My main goal, admittedly, was to get a NAS with an Operating System that was feature-rich enough that I could log into it directly to do some admin and maintenance tasks. This NAS looks to be running a flavor of Linux and supports ssh. I had no problems logging in, mounting/dismounting external drives via a USB 3.0 external drive dock, copying files from them to the NAS, fixing file ownership and permissions, etc. Direct device-to-device copy was much faster than transferring my data from my existing drives to the NAS over the network.

Of course, the NAS software supports doing all that across the network as well... there's a very rich web interface that lets you mount/unmount USB drives, and do other management tasks, and from the research I did before buying the NAS, it looks like they have a pretty rich library of add-on software packages you can use to extend the NAS functionality. I haven't tried those yet; haven't needed anything more than what comes in the box so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 2 bay NAS on the market, December 6, 2012
I have tried many QNAP products and each time the products gets better and better. If your looking for a small storage device for home, there is no better NAS product. You might be wary since it is pricer compared to buffalo or pogoplug, but the difference is immense. Just take a look at the features that comes with the QNAP unit, there really isn't another company that compares. All the enterprise features found on the larger units are all available on smaller units, so really in my opinion the features make up for the price difference.

2.0 out of 5 stars Never worked right, November 24, 2012
P. Wright (Apple Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This thing was a pain to setup and it never functioned correctly. Remote access, forget about it. Don't fight it, do like I eventually did and buy the Synology. They are so much easier to setup and to get all of the features working correctly. The software difference is amazing and the Synology seems every bit as fast. Speed and from what I've read, durability, is very good for these units. The programming makes all the difference in the world. At this price for what is really just a low end computer, you shouldn't need a bunch of emails back-and-forth with support and uninstalling and reinstalling software, or paying someone to set it up correctly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Headache after headache, April 28, 2014
Da C (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
After a year of having this device I think I will never again buy another Qnap product. The amount of problems from one firmware to the next is atrocious, I cannot tell you how many times a firmware update will solve one problem and break multiple other things, I feel as though they use the general public to QA their products.

Some of the most common issues I've run into are:

1. Processor pegged at 100% for days. I've tried disabling almost all the features, processes, transcoding/multimedia options, to try to isolate the problem but it occasionally came back. After several firmware updates the problem was gone.

2. Disk volume issues. I cannot tell you how many times I've run into this problem, the disks are perfectly fine when tested on an external device and somehow fail after a month or so in the NAS. Disk 1 seems to fail often and even after I format and change the order of the disks, disk 1 is guaranteed to fail within a month. I foolishly thought that the disks were the problem and after multiple RMAs I noticed the pattern. I should have known.

3. Backup station. Made my life miserable and the main reason that I will not be purchasing another Qnap product. I use raid 0 and use an external drive for real time backups. It drove me mad that they couldn't get this right. Occasionally my backups would fail because the mapped drives would disappear. I have tried different drives from different manufacturers with the same result. Backup failed.

4. File system not clean, time machine issues (ended up buying a time capsule), random freezes, etc, etc.

I could go on and on but I feel like this machine has taken enough of my life as it is. If you have a ton of time to maintain a NAS, familiar with linux, find it fun to read pages of forum threads on how to solve issue after issue then you might find this product worth while. If you don't have the time then look somewhere else.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Qnap Network Storage Server (TS-219PII-US)
Used & New from: $390.00