5.0 out of 5 stars Take Small Steps
Published on May 20, 2008 by Jane Russell

2.0 out of 5 stars Questionable Menu Plan
My main issue with this book is the diet recommended. She endorses eating food that's sustainable, and full of "good vibes", but then her whole menu is based on processed soy and psuedo-dairy/meat junk! Has anyone else ever looked at the ingredients in some of those things? Not to mention that conventionally grown soy is causing numerous environmental problems, as well...
Published on September 12, 2008 by lizerdmama

5.0 out of 5 stars Take Small Steps, May 20, 2008
I expect that this new book by Kathy Freston is going to make some big waves. Not only because of the foreword written by #1 New York Times bestselling author Dr. Mehmet C. Oz. And not even because of the author's appearance at Oprah Show today. It is because makeovers is a very popular topic and Kathy Freston seems to have a good grip on it. As the title "Quantum Wellness" suggests, our health, and our wellbeing can be achieved by focusing on small steps in our everyday life. Kathy offers for the readers the following eight Pillars of Wellness;

1. Meditation. It is important for everyone to get some quiet time everyday, become really still, and look inside yourself. Connect with your "inner light" and just be present).
2. Conscious eating. This not only mean eating less, or showing your food well. Conscious eating means most of all being aware of where your food comes from, how the animals are treated and how the environment is affected by the foods that you eat. To be healthy and happy about yourself you need have more integrity and to be conscious about what you eat.
3. Exercise. Many books have been written about it and this is nothing new for anyone. We just need to devote at least half an hour a day for moving our bodies. In my opinion taking Yoga classes is a great option, especially that it combines physical exercise with deep breathing and meditation.
4. Visualization. As suggested in The Secret, visualization is the mother of all achievements. "It's like creating a blueprint for the way I want to become and setting down the intention," Kathy says.
5. Spiritual practice. For some people it can mean prayer. For Kathy it is mainly about compassion, being aware of suffering that's all around and to be compassionate about it.
6. Self-work. Educate yourself - learn about your physical body, about your spirituality or emotional well-being.. For Kathy that means "means going inside and learning where you're stuck and pushing yourself past what's comfortable."
7. Service. Don't be stuck in your own world, reach out, help others. This will bring about great feeling of fulfillment.
8. Fun activities. It is important in everyone's live to have some fun. For some it could be listing to the good music, or dancing, or spending some time in a great company. You just need to get away from it all...

To jump start the program Kathy suggests 21 day cleansing program to get rid of Caffeine, Sugar, Alcohol, Gluten, Animal Products. I suggest Complete Body Cleansing that is so well described in one of my favorite wellness books -- Your Body Maintnance Handbook

4.0 out of 5 stars Body, Mind, Spirit and Environment, May 20, 2008
Body-mind-spirit, and , most recently--environment (eco-friendly) is the new mantra to living a full and complete and healthy life, as shown in Quantum Wellness and dozens of other new and not so new books. This is a good thing--seeing books on personal transformation extend beyond the self and into caring for the environment and all its inhabitants.

The way we think, feel and act is interconnected with the planet and the animals--with all of life. For example, Kathy Freston supports vegan diets (or at the very least vegetarian) not only because of the health benefits of a meat-free diet, but because eating most meat available in this country means eating animals that have been treated inhumanely. Additionally, raising animals for slaughter takes a toll on the environment.

Freston calls this conscious eating and that means that nobody is harmed by what she puts into her body.

Freston also supports using eco-friendly body care products and household cleaners--good for the environment and you.To name one of many books that support optimal health, veganism/vegetarianism and the green lifestyle is GROWING UP GREEN: BABY AND CHILD CARE.

Quantum Wellness, according to Kathy Freston, is an achievable higher state if being. Freston writes: "Quantum wellness is not about imposing big changes but about leaning into wellness, comfortably, adding things here and there to the thrust and taking baby steps toward the changes we want to achieve."

The quantum leap--or shift to quantum wellness occurs, according to Freston, as a result of many small steps. For example, Freston suggests baby steps to a more healthful diet--not meat eating one day and vegan the next.

According to Freston, there are The Eight Pillars of Wellness:
* Exercise
* Self-work
* Spiritual practice
* Service

As an eco-friendly interior designer and feng shui practitioner, I was delighted to see Freston write about the importance of home in supporting our health. She tells us to remove clutter, resist buying new stuff unless we either love it or truly need it, and to use as little chemicals (cleaning products, personal care products,) as possible. This is very good advice, as the home definitely affects our well-being.

For a complete guide to greening your home (as well as making it beautiful and energetically vibrant) for optimal wellness, read the award winning book, HARMONIOUS ENVIRONMENT: BEAUTIFY, DETOXIFY & ENERGIZE YOUR LIFE, YOUR HOME & YOUR PLANET.

As previously mentioned, Freston supports veganism for optimal health. Understanding that the transition from omnivore to vegetarian can be difficult and that veganism is almost impossible for many of us to comprehend, she describes her own process and offers many helpful tips for the reader to adapt. According to Freston, living the vegan lifestyle is empowering. The book also contains vegetarian and vegan recipes to help us make the transition in our diets.

Freston covers a lot of ground in Quantum Wellness, including dealing with addictions and fears and questions to ask yourself when you aren't feeling 100%. As an extroverted person, I have a hard time with some of these sections, as I am not inclined to "look inside too often. Some people love to ask themselves questions and ponder...I either meditate or take a hike when I'm feeling sad, mad or whatever and that generally works for me. because of this, I got overwhelmed with all the suggestions of things to do to achieve perfect wellness.

On the other hand, I love that she suggests having some fun everyday.

Overall, a very good and inspirational book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Body, Mind, Spirit and The Environment, January 6, 2010
This review is from: Quantum Wellness: A Practical Guide to Health and Happiness (Paperback)

According to Freston, there are The Eight Pillars of Wellness:
* Exercise
* Self-work
* Spiritual practice
* Service

On the other hand, I love that she suggests having some fun everyday.

Overall, a very good and inspirational book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Well Soon, May 21, 2008
JMacPrime (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This ambitious and thought-provoking book makes a strong case for taking a balanced approach to achieve wellness, and it makes a great deal of sense to me, since it mirrors my own experience.

For example, my own vegetarianism grew out of my meditation practice, after focusing on compassion. Knowing that eating meat caused suffering, I decided to try replacing it with cruelty-free alternatives. Not only was it much easier than I expected (and I'm now completely vegan), but this change, in turn, supported my other efforts to become emotionally, physically, and spiritually well. I felt better and happier than I ever had before.

It's exciting to see someone take these ideas and put them together in an organic, thorough way. I highly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Truly Inconvenient Truth, July 21, 2008
I wanted to respond to those reviewrs who have criticized vegan diets and think they are unhealthy. Here is a recent statement made by Dr. McDougall who has supported a plant based diet for years.

Plants--the Original Sources of Protein and Amino Acids

Proteins are made from chains of 20 different amino acids that connect together in varying sequences--similar to how all the words in a dictionary are made from the same 26 letters. Plants (and microorganisms) can synthesize all of the individual amino acids that are used to build proteins, but animals cannot. There are 8 amino acids that people cannot make and thus, these must be obtained from our diets--they are referred to as "essential."

After we eat our foods, stomach acids and intestinal enzymes digest the proteins into individual amino acids. These components are then absorbed through the intestinal walls into the bloodstream. After entering the body's cells, these amino acids are reassembled into proteins. Proteins function as structural materials which build the scaffoldings that maintain cell shapes, enzymes which catalyze biochemical reactions, and hormones which signal messages between cells--to name only a few of their vital roles.

Since plants are made up of structurally sound cells with enzymes and hormones, they are by nature rich sources of proteins. In fact, so rich are plants that they can meet the protein needs of the earth's largest animals: elephants, hippopotamuses, giraffes, and cows. You would be correct to deduce that the protein needs of relatively small humans can easily be met by plants.

In regards to buying your meat from farms and ranches that treat animals humanely do so if you can, but realize that most meat is coming from large operations. The Union of Concerned Scientists released a report on how "the U.S. livestock industry has been undergoing a drastic change over the past several decade. Huge CAFO's (confined animal feeding operations) have become the predominant method of raising livestock, and the crowded conditions in these facilities have increased water and air pollution and other types of harm to public health and rural communities.

"A groundbreaking 2006 United Nations report found that raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gases than all the cars and trucks in the world combined. Luckily, we can help fix this problem by changing our diet. According to a 2006 study done by researchers at the University of Chicago, most Americans can reduce more greenhouse gas emissions by becoming a vegan than they can by switching to a hybrid electric car. They found that eating a vegan diet prevents the equivalent of 1.5 tons of CO2 emissions every year, more than the 1 ton of CO2 emissions prevented by switching from a typical large sedan to a Toyota Prius."

If you can stomach to really see how the meat on your table is handled while it is still living visit this site: [...]

How about this fact: Cows have a natural lifespan of about 25 years and can produce milk for eight or nine years, but the stress caused by factory farm conditions leads to disease, lameness, and reproductive problems that render cows worthless to the dairy industry by the time they are four or five years old, at which time they are sent to the slaughterhouse. Cows would naturally make only enough milk to meet the needs of their calves (around 16 pounds a day), genetic manipulation, antibiotics, and hormones are used to force each cow to produce more than 18,000 pounds of milk a year (an average of 50 pounds a day). "

Few consumers realize that veal is a direct by-product of the dairy industry. In order for dairy cows to produce milk, they must be impregnated. While female calves are slaughtered or added to the dairy herd, many male calves are taken from their mothers when they are as young as one day old and chained in tiny stalls to be raised for veal. The confinement is so extreme that they cannot even turn around or lie down comfortably. As author John Robbins notes, "The veal calf would actually have more space if, instead of chaining him in such a stall, you stuffed him into the trunk of a subcompact car and kept him there for his entire life."

Choosing to go vegetarian wasn't that difficult for me. Choosing to go vegan was a lot harder. It isn't convenient but I do believe I eat a better and healthier diet than before. These two quotes along with the video I linked to above really helped push me over the edge in making a change in my diet.

?Choosing to go vegetarian is simply a matter of living according to the values so many of us hold dear, such as being fair and kind to others. Most people would never dream of cramming up to 11 egg-laying hens into a file drawer-sized cage, ripping the testicles out of a screaming baby piglet, or cutting the throat of a cow as she stares back at you with her big brown eyes. How then, as compassionate individuals, can we justify paying others to carry out these atrocities on our behalf?"

"The average vegetarian saves the lives of approximately 95 animals each year. That adds up to thousands during a lifetime. Every time we eat, we are making a powerful choice that has profound consequences on the lives of animals. At each meal, we make a decision between supporting cruelty or living compassionately."

Lastly my husband and I have a wonderful collection of vegan cookbooks. There are a lot of resources that make such a diet very practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerfully expansive!!!, July 13, 2009
I adore this book. It was a reassuring reminder of things I already knew and continued to inspire me to improve my life- in the most inobtrusive way. I am a vegetarian and I appreciated her chapters about a person's eating habits; these have inspired me to go vegan.

An easy to read book, it's almost as if she's in your living room just chatting with you about the subjects. For this reason, it does not feel (at all) like she is forcing these ideas down your throat- she just empowers you to start thinking about what is best for you. She sends a message that I have applied to my daily life: Progress, not perfection.

This book is worth the investment, as it can powerfully expand your life in a multitude of ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelously written! You will be Inspired, Enthralled, & Intrigued ... One Small step at a Time, August 17, 2008
Add my name to the list. I am now a fan of Kathy Freston and enthusiastically endorse Quantum Wellness: A Practical and Spiritual Guide to Health and Happiness ... a definitive, instructive, and intriguing book on ways each of us on can protect the environment, improve our state of health, and sense of purpose. Her methodology makes it easy for people like me who have difficulty changing bad habits. Lao Tzu, Father of Taoism, once said: "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step". To me, his philosophy is the essence of this delightful book. The author asks the reader to take small steps while changing bad habits into good ... and then increase the level of difficulty while developing confidence and improving skill levels.

She calls it Quantum Wellness. I call it, a marvelous way to make a difference in the world. She shows the cause and effect we have with plants, the environment, and especially animals. After researching the severe and harsh conditions in which animals are housed, fed, and killed ... I am having a difficult time eating my top sirloin, nowadays. If we are what we eat, I need to eat something else! (The book provides viable alternatives.)

Readers should note the author focuses not on just one aspect of improving one's lifestyle; she gives salient advice on taking care of your spirit, mind, and body (multi-dimensional experience). I have a friend who smokes, drinks alcohol, and is morbidly obese. I asked why she engaged in destructive behavior. She answered: "Because it makes me feel good at the time". The problem with her reasoning is she feels good for a few minutes, only to feel badly for a lifetime. I purchased an extra copy of the book for her. It is a perfect reference source for anyone with low self esteem. All steps in the book will require some sacrifice. However, if you are willing to inconvenience yourself for a few minutes (i.e., exercise thirty minutes daily) I believe you will reap the benefits of Quantum Wellness for a Lifetime.
Reggie Johnson, Success-Tapes.Com

4.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, a world changing book ( if followed), June 19, 2008
I have been studying health and wellness for about 4 years and became so empowered by the organic lifestyle that I went to India last year to study Ayurveda ( India's 5000 year old science of medicine, which is entirely herbal). Before this, I read the UNBELIEVABLE book The optimum Health Bible, as well as Natural Cures they Don't Want to To Know about. Through these books ad my studies abroad, I learned the incredible correlation between what we eat and our health. Yes, that may sound obvious, but still: what have you eaten today? How many people do you know have cancer and other serious illnesses? It is a FACT that these illnesses ( and many, many others) are on the rise and honeslty are the highest they have EVER been.
Kathy Freston knows this, and isn't afraid to state what you don't want to hear ( that dairy causes cancer for a multitude of reasons; that animal protein is contaminated beyond belief and has no- I repeat NO- health benefits; that both gluten and sugar have an opiate effect on the brain and are linked to serious conditions such as autism). Like Patrick Holford's The Optimum Health bible, she breaks down what each bad food does ( dairy, animal protein, gluten, sugar)and suggests that one detoxes from these foods-as well as alcohol and caffeine- in order to see the health benefits that one can reap by living on an optimum, vegan diet.
My husband one year ago developed severe asthma out of no where. He had always been allergic to pollen and such, but he had never had a breathing problem in his life. Six months later, he could not breathe and his oxygen level sunk so low that the ER medics were in shock. He went to a specialist and was told that there are NO CURES for asthma, and that he should be taking drugs for the rest of his life. I was about 5 months pregnant at the time, and having to worry about my husband being ill for the rest of his ( and my daughter's) lifetime scared me to death. We got the appropriate inhaler from the Dr. ( for emergencies) and decided to do what no Doctor could: get to the root of why he had asthma and get rid of the chronic inflammation. After incorporating TONS of natural anti-inflammatory herbs and foods ( such as tumeric, which is world renowned and frequently called the world's most important herb)and getting rid of all dairy products, he is about 97 percent better and almost NEVER uses his inhaler ( NOTE: the doctor said her would need it every 12 hours).
Quantum Wellness exposes to mainstream America the falsities that we are being indoctrinated about through advertising: that dairy is helpful for a plethora of reasons (LIE); that meat is the best source of protein ( LIE);...and the list goes on.
Folks, if you value your health, begin your personal quest for optimum health and read and follow Quantum Wellness. Also read these life-changing books:
The Optimum Health Bible
Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You To Know About
Inner Beauty
Mariel Hemmingway's Healthy Living From The Inside Out
The China Study

Hey, I love cheese ( I was born in the cheese state and grew up in France, so you could say I have an obsession with cheese...). I adore fish, and every type of fish you can think of. But the reality of the matter is how important is it that we put our health in crisis because something tastes good, esp. since there are great alternatives?
If our planet is to progress and not falter, we all need to change-for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oprah & Ellen, comments on Quantum Wellness:, May 21, 2008
Says Ellen Degeneres:
KATHY FRESTON'S incredible new book, "Quantum Wellness: A Practical Guide to Health and Happiness." I can't tell you how much it's changed my life for the better. I had to have Kathy on our show to share with all of you her simple yet incredible methods of getting happier and healthier!

Says Oprah:
There was a passage in Kathy Freston's book that so related to me, I thought for a moment she was talking about me. In the passage, Kathy talks about an overweight friend who would gain and lose. She didn't conquer the weight issue until she became a "conscious" eater.

Conscious eater. That struck a nerve. I had recently come to the conclusion that after spending weeks reading and rereading A New Earth and being on line with Eckhart Tolle that bringing a higher level of awareness to my eating was the solution I'd been avoiding. My idea of a conscious eater, however, was not quite the same as Kathy's. . .

So this 21-day cleanse gives me a chance to think about it differently and see what my attachments are to certain kinds of foods--and what I'm willing to do to change. . .

Day 1 also started with the meditation mantra that Kathy suggests in her book. I'm ready!

Says Bruce:
Kathy's writing style is that rare combination of friendly and authoritative--she inspires confidence in a way that's deeply appealing. I can see why Oprah and Ellen were taken with Kathy and recommends her book so highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars "A Practical and Spiritual Guide" to Life and Conscious Living, May 21, 2008
QUANTUM WELLNESS is such an amazing and beautiful gift to the world. By writing in an elegant, conversational way, Kathy Freston connects instantly to the reader and offers a simple and easy way to not only raise your own awareness of the way you conduct your life, but how to take simple steps to ease into a higher consciousness. Unlike some other spiritual books I have read in the past, nothing is forced upon you and simple suggestions are merely made as to bring awareness to your everyday living and how to "lean" into change. Freston has a lovely way with words and I was instantly pulled into her book and her guidance towards making a happy and healthier life for myself and the world.

This book is truly a blessing and I thank you for writing this, Kathy! You have inspired me to contribute better to the world around me and to be conscious of the little things I do that can affect others.

A must-read for anyone looking to better themselves and our planet around us!!

Quantum Wellness: A Practical Guide to Health and Happiness
Quantum Wellness: A Practical Guide to Health and Happiness by Kathy Freston (Paperback - April 7, 2009)
$14.95 $10.17