5.0 out of 5 stars A Queen Bible!
Published on October 8, 2009 by kitjank

3.0 out of 5 stars Great photos, not so great text.
Published on December 18, 2011 by M. Fonseca

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Queen Bible!, October 8, 2009
I have been a fan and collector of all things Queen for almost 30 years. I wasn't sure if this book would have much to offer, but as it's about Queen I had to get it. I wasn't dissapointed. This is by far the best book to date (in my opinion) on the band. There are some really great photos in here that even I haven't seen before. Lots of great sidebar stories and quotes from the guys along with tour dates and just about anything else you could want. This was truly a labor of love and this Queen fan is very appreciative. Your collection isn't complete without this book. So buy it and indulge, you be very glad you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tribute to QUEEN, October 27, 2009
Asli Guruney (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely coffee table book exploring through Queen's career from preQueen college bands to after Freddie's death. The book is full of with magnificent pictures of not only the band but also tons of Queen related material from all over the world. The text has nothing new for me but if you want to get to know about this greatest rock band of all times, this is a pretty cool beginning. If you know everything about the group's history, you'll enjoy the pictures then. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Run don't walk to get this treasure., January 27, 2010
As a card carrying Queen fan I was more than pleased to receive my copy and immediately get buried in it. It did not disappoint.The layout is superb,mixing ticket stubs (note the prices!!) with t-shirts from different concerts and quotes from the different members. More information flowing out of this book on Deacon than you would ever believe existed.
It just urges you on. You can put it down and go back to it later. You just don't want to.The running commentaries on different LP's was most enjoyable,with quotes by Freddie, Brian ,John and Roger thrown in at the appropriate moments.
I have never seen so many exotic pictures particularly of Freddie.
Nearing the end there is a wonderful picture of Freddie at Queens' last gig together live at Knebworth. The tapes must exist. How can we get John ,Roger and Brian to hit the studio and do a tribute to Fred on the 20th anniversary of his death? What a present it would be to us all.
Everything else I want to say has been said by those who've written reviews before me. This is simply the best!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great photos, not so great text., December 18, 2011
This review is from: Queen: The Ultimate Illustrated History of the Crown Kings of Rock (Paperback)
This is an illustrated biography. The text is good, there are interviews with people like Slash, Billy Squier and producer Mack, citations by famous artists, discography, analysis of each album by critical experts and other very good things. However, the text is not the purpose of getting this book. Most of it is fairly commn knowledge for a Queen fan, but there are enough information for a person who likes Queen a lot, may even have a lot (of all) of their albums, but never cared about minutia information about artists. There are a lot (I mean a lot) of infomartion of the kind "...as Taylor said in Mojo magazine in 2008...", things like that (which I found awful).

That said, the photos here are stunning. The printing quality, the legends, everything is amazing. This is a very, very good coffe table book.

Unavoidable for Queen fans or even for casual listeners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, Regal Volume, February 17, 2010
This hefty volume covers the entire history of Queen, nothing's left out. I loved the layout, photos, programs, tour dates, and everything a die-hard fan could ask for in a retrospective. It includes behind the scenes memories of their producer Reinhold Mack, Mick Rock, and many others connected to the band. The author quotes all of the band members' recollections of all important Queen events, both from the time the events occurred and also years later. This seems especially significant regarding Freddie's illness and death. Much of the information revealed here was unknown until recently.

Sutcliffe's exhaustively detailed book includes contemporary reviews of each Queen album, and at the risk of going off on a tangent, I'd like to discuss Jon Bream's review of A Night at the Opera. With apologies to Lou Reed and Elton John, Bream declares, "Queen's A Night at the Opera was the gayest mainstream rock album of the 1970s." He makes this claim based on the never before heard diversity and completely unconventional material. He sums it up, "a gay old time at the opera." However, my take on the record is that it encompasses all four band members' dreams and styles with no thought to boundaries, conventions, or budgets. I don't know what gay has to do with this; any music lover will appreciate the approach and the execution of perhaps the greatest rock record ever. The inclusion of such diverse material as I'm In Love With My Car, The Prophet's Song, You're My Best Friend, and Seaside Rendezvous is mad or genius, and certainly risky. In hindsight, the band knew what it was doing, gay or straight doesn't matter. Bream's review seems more like a backhanded compliment.

Queen was the most progressive, material-diverse band in history. They were constantly forward thinking; their popularity ebbed and flowed, but they never stagnated. Beyond simply pure entertainment, that is their greatest achievement. Here's a magnificent quotation that captures this theme, "Just watching that band morph and change directions over the years was just amazing." - Paul O'Neill, Trans Siberian Orchestra.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tribute to Queen!, January 26, 2010
A great tribute to Queen! I have waited a long time for such a book to be published about my favourite band. Reading this book has me reliving my youth growing up in England and experiencing Queen when they first began.
This book is rich with beautiful photos and loads of information about the band. A wonderful introduction to the world of Queen in all their glory! A must read for all devoted Queen fans and a terrific book for all "new" Queen fans. I especially like the chapters devoted to each band member about their lives before becoming Queen. At last a book about the brilliant Freddie Mercury that respects his very private personal life. Rest in peace Freddie you are loved and missed by many!

2.0 out of 5 stars Review of Kindle Edition, January 17, 2013
Brian K. Burns (Arlington, Texas, US) - See all my reviews
I was scouring Amazon for a book about this band, and this seemed to be the best reviewed work available. Several reviewers offered accolades for the great photos, sidebars, and bits of graphic memorabilia - so I purchased the Kindle version.

While I am very much enjoying the textual part of the book, I actually purchased what was touted as a pictorial book. The textual content is interesting and very satisfactory (thus, the two stars), however, the vast majority of the photos are microscopic, low-res, postage stamp-sized "icons" on the Kindle screen, and most of the sidebars are so small as to be virtually unreadable. It's a shame; these pictures and graphics could have literally jumped out from the Kindle Fire HD's screen - yet, only "thumbnail" pics are provided. The Kindle version of this book may as well not even include the graphical content (and should be priced accordingly - thus, the omission of the other three stars).

The textual material actually rates three or four stars, however, since I paid for a highly-reviewed pictorial book and was effectively ripped off on the pictorial content, I am disappointed both in Amazon and in the book's publisher, as each should maintain (and hold each other to) higher standards of quality control. I kind of feel like I fell for a scam here. From now on I will be much more selective (and consequently, make fewer purchases) of Kindle materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen the ultimate illustrated history of the crown kings rock is GREAT!!!!, May 3, 2011
When it arrived I was pretty shocked at how big and heavy but that's just more to enjoy!! Boo-koodles of good photos and touring schedules. Colorful concert tickets and passes. I have already done some reading. It seems to get pretty personal on all 4 members documenting the goings on behind the scenes and how some of the songs came to be written. Freddie was just so much fun and so were the remaining 3 kings of queen!! I can see lots of entertaining reading for some time to come. It is a very goQueen: The Ultimate Illustrated History of the Crown Kings of Rockod addition to your queen collection. very interesting and I highly recommend this book to all queen lovers since we never tire of seeing or hearing these gloriously talented and great to look at artists. I'm 66 yrs old and they are one of my favorite passtimes,so that should tell you something if you're just now getting into Queen. The book is a good price also. I want to thank Bryan May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon for the superb way they honored Freddie Mercury through his last years and after his sad passing by how they treated his mother and handled the press interviews and all the tributes including the concert. It really shows how classy you all are. Thank you for the music as well I love you all. RIP Freddie

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen: The Ultimate Illustrated History of the Crown Kings of Rock, December 26, 2009
P. Dorsey (Greenville, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This book is an absolute "must have" for any Queen fan, old or new. The turn of every page is like opening a new gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even after reading, just fun to flip through, July 13, 2011
I enjoyed the general information in the book, but really liked the stories by friends and associates. I also loved the quotes from other music artists and pictures of old concert posters, but this book is worth the money for the beautiful photos alone. Light, entertaining reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Queen: The Ultimate Illustrated History of the Crown Kings of Rock
Queen: The Ultimate Illustrated History of the Crown Kings of Rock by Phil Sutcliffe (Paperback - April 29, 2011)
$24.99 $18.23