5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy, hopeful, sweet
Published on February 15, 2005 by Christine E. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Not particularly original, but enjoyable and easy.
I have always been a fan of the "French Chanteuse" tradition, and it is nice to see some new women singers evolve in the style of such women as Barbara--whom I unconditionally adore! Consequently, Bruni's c.d. is a new essential in my collection.

Published on December 20, 2005 by Pavlova Prize

5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy, hopeful, sweet, February 15, 2005
This review is from: Quelqu'un M'a Dit (Audio CD)
I encountered Carla Bruni pretty much by chance, because somebody happened to mention listening to the song "Quelqu'un M'a Dit" on the radio and he asked me to translate it since I speak French. I am so glad he asked this favor of me, because the song is now one of my favorites. It is incredibly beautiful in a mellow, hopeful, and loving way. Definitely a song I never mind having stuck in my head. After hearing that, I decided I wanted to hear more of Carla Bruni's work. While "Quelqu'un M'a Dit" is still probably my favorite song on the CD, I love the entire thing. There is some great variety. Some of the music is more upbeat. You can definitely enjoy the CD if you don't speak French (several of my friends are now addicted to her music even though they don't know what she's singing), but if you do speak French, it's an even better treat. I adore her lyrics. They are very catchy, meaningful, and clever. I highly recommend this CD!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're thinking of buying this CD, do it already!, November 18, 2004
This review is from: Quelqu'un M'a Dit (Audio CD)
I love this album. Carla Bruni has one of the most delicious and sensual voices I've ever heard. The songs on this album are little more than that gorgeous voice against the light strumming of her acoustic guitar. It feels so intimate to listen to, as if she's whispering these songs live right in front of you. Such a refreshment from much of the new crop of singers who require massive studio production just to get out a good sounding song. The lyrics are absolutely beautiful as well, like poetry. Cheers to Carla Bruni, who even as an Italian can sing French in the most beautiful and soft of accents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is unfair, isn't it, October 3, 2003
Megami (Darwin, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quelqu'un M'a Dit (Audio CD)
Free-spirited and girly, yet sexy and passionate, this is a great album from Carla Bruni. I first heard this in a Youth Hostel in Lyon, and it is still on regular rotation now i am at home. Not only is Carla Bruni a beautiful model, but she is also a talented musician, singing and playing guitar on this album, as well as writing much of it herself. You don't need to know French to appreciate this album, as its (mainly) happy mood will take you to the cafes of France on its own. Well worth searching for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not particularly original, but enjoyable and easy., December 20, 2005
This review is from: Quelqu'Un M'a Dit (Audio CD)

However, I am inclined to agree with some of the less than glowing reviews concerning Bruni as an "artist." The music on the c.d. can be monotonous, and her singing style is wearing after 12 tracks. To hear Bruni whisper through a song, and then to hear a singer such as Keren Ann...let's just say, in my humble opinion, that they are not in the same league. Keren Ann is an "artist." Barbara is an "artist." Bruni is trying really hard. Not that that's a bad thing....

For the most part, the songs I most prefer are the ones that Bruni did not entirely write herself. "Quelqu'un m'a dit," "La Noyee" et "Le Ciel Dans Une Chambre" are wonderful! I listen to them constantly, and they alone make this album worth the purchase. As to the others...well, how many of us really love every song on every c.d. we buy?

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Lady of French Chanson : A Luminous Masterpiece, January 23, 2008
This review is from: Quelqu'Un M'a Dit (Audio CD)
Whether or not Carla Bruni remains of political interest, chances are you have probably heard her name before. This, her debut album, recorded when she was in her mid-30s, is the French Equivalent of Norah Jones "Come Away With Me". In fact, that Norah Jones connection will haunt you through this recording, as both in song choice and delivery, Bruni is one of those rare animals that get better with repeated listening.

The title song, "Quelqu'un m'a dit" is easily the best thing here. No opening strums, no grand instrumentation - just a womans' husky voice and a guitar set the mood perfectly. This is the ultimate 'wine' album. Listening to the new Vanessa Paradis record, I was reminded that very few French language singers (perhaps for the exception of Charlotte Gainsbourg, and to an extent, Keren Ann) choose to use one genre of music on their albums and conform to it. Bruni is definitely one for this, as her albums' songs all have a 'sameness' to them. This does not mean that they all sound the same - rather, the tempo and musical genre is the same throughout - and this is a good thing.

My personal favorite is the underrated "Le Toi Du Moi", a beautiful song whose word play reminded me very strongly of Jeanne Moreau's "La Tourbillon de la Vie". This track is maddeningly addictive and achingly beautiful, and if you do decide to get this album, I can guarantee that you will be playing this song for years to come.

The tempo only really changes towards the end of the album on one track - "L'Excessive", where they go for a more jazzy, bluesy feel combined with a beat that is definitely more sprightly than anything else here. The inspired closer "The Last Minute" is exactly a minute long - and works great in this context.

Perhaps knowing more about Carla Bruni might affect your purchase decision. Like Milla Jovovich, this is a former supermodel (Guess, Oscar De La Renta, Christian Dior) who was amongst the Top 10 highest paid supermodels in the world, in the 1990s. She has two albums out at the time of writing. This one, and her 2007 release entitled "No Promises" (an interesting but ultimately flawed collection of old-English poems set to blues-jazz). I would suggest getting this one first and discovering a new and exciting world artist.

Many viewers on this page reach here due to their recent discovering of Miss Bruni through her involvement with French President Nic Sarkozy. Its great that this album is at least getting some attention all the years after its' release, because its a fantastic slice of French chanson, and a stellar five star album in every sense of the term. This, along with "Divinidylle" by Vanessa Paradis, should be your essential French language music purchases for this year.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hate her because she's beautiful.., November 13, 2007
This review is from: Quelqu'Un M'a Dit (Audio CD)
Really, now. Who'd have thunk a super model could sing?

But shockingly this is a super album. Have you seen Casablanca? The scenes in Rick's where the French chanteuse (Corinna Mura) sits on the high stool in the spot light with only a guitar and laconically lays it on the crowd? And then passionately belts La Marseillaise out for the delectation of the SS? That's who Mlle. Bruni reminds me of. Not because Corinne & Carla sound particularly alike, mais parce qu'elles sont toutes deux filles francaises avec guitares, rien d'autre, each laying it down atmospheric. No flipping of the proverbial bird at goose stepping fascists, here, tant pis.. but Miss Bruni would if she could.. I feel it in my marrow, cartilage flowing flush..

Ahem.. ah, Well, I cannot of course gainsay those here who dislike this album, or who else damn it with faint praise.. De gustibus non disputandem est, afterall. Some complain some of her songs sound too alike. Mais apres on boit quelques verres.. mixed with some (say) Keren Ann (who is just as fantastique as all the others here say,) Trenet, Gainsbourg, Piath, Comme d'habitude, and as Frank would likely say, it all just swings, baby.

As for the songs: the title "Quelqu'un M'a Dit" is exquisite. But "Le Toi Du Moi" is as fantastic. I was driving lost for several hours on service roads in Pike National Forest in the Colorado Rockies the other day, fording streams, inhaling clouds of red dust, all the while grooving to her repeatedly. Nigh perfect ironic symbiosis of song and setting. Check these lyrics: "Tu es l'envie et moi le geste.. Toi le citron et moi le zeste.. Je suis le the, tu es la tasse.. Toi la guitare et moi la basse.. Tu es la Belle et moi la Bete.. Tu es le corps et moi la tete.. Tu es le corps.. Yumm!"

Just very good stuff. Stands up (plug your inquisitorial ears: heresy floweth here freely) to Edith's lyrics any day.. Okay, okay.. well, maybe, not.. (I recant.. I recant.. le vin doth confuseth..)

Any which way, let me conclude suggesting you check out another super-model songstress, Milla Jovovich, whose album "The Divine Comedy" is also well worth your time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A supermodel sings..., April 9, 2005
This review is from: Quelqu'Un M'a Dit (Audio CD)
A local radio station (one of the only english-based stations in my area that has the guts to play music not sung in english) one day played "Quelqu'un m'a dit" in the middle of a set of songs. I was hooked! What a great song! I sat through the entire set to hear who the artist was. They finally said her name, and I wrote it down to look up later. Now maybe I'm a bit out of it, but I had never heard the name "Carla Bruni" before that day. Here I thought the radio station had done a great service in introducing an obscure up-and-coming French Bob Dylan to the all too homogenous American airwaves. Images of a bumming coquette bouncing around the cafés of Paris bounced around in my head. What a find! A new voice! A beautiful voice! Très romantique!

So I put her name into Google and was quite surprised. Hm! There must be another "Carla Bruni" out there who's an Italian supermodel. I kept searching for my dream ragamuffin musician but found only lots of nudes of Mrs. Bruni scattering the pages of my Google image search. Then the idealism was shattered like a thin chunk of obsidian: Carla Bruni the musician and Carla Bruni the supermodel were one and the same. Whoa.

I'm not a fan of the fashion industry. I don't want to support supermodels. I don't think a person should have an unfair advantage over others simply because they're beautiful. And I definitely don't want to give such people my money. So I was a little distressed, because the song wouldn't completely leave me. But I also wanted nothing to do with it.

Nonetheless, though Carla Bruni doesn't need a cent of my money or my support (the romantic ragamuffin probably would have), I relented and bought the CD. It was in the "Italian Music" section of a local CD shop. The song was just as great as I remembered it from the radio. And now the big surprise: the rest of the CD is also very good. Not only that, Carla Bruni herself had a major hand in most of the songwriting and wordsmithing on this lovely CD.

"Quelqu'un m'a dit" is simply a great song. Not much else to say there. Most of the album follows the mood of that song. Lots of nylon-stringed guitar, some strings here and there, minimal percussion, and Bruni's smooth voice sticking out over the mix. The music fits the French language perfectly (It's harder to imagine this music sung in Italian). The pace picks up in a few places, such as "L'excessive" with its bouncy jazzy beat. But the mood is mostly mellow, sensuous, and beautiful. The album closes appropriately with "La dernière minute" or "The Last Minute" which is, appropriately, a minute long.

This music apparently took some time to make it to the states. It was orginally released in 2002. That says droves about the english-centric mainstream music industry in the United States.

So in the end I completely relented, and I love the CD, though I'm still not thrilled that she's a supermodel. Though sometimes we forget that things work a little differently over in europe. They definitely have good taste in music.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, January 31, 2010
This review is from: Quelqu'un m'a dit (Audio CD)
There is great clarity in this singer. Bruni knows exactly what she wants. And, as we know, she usually gets it.

On the minus side, i could discern little progress in her musical or poetic evolution - the same throaty, self-consciously husky voice, the same cords, musical progressions & song structure, the same half-singing/speaking as in other French and English pieces from previous CDs suggest lack of artistic ambition. I imagine that Bruni unabashedly chooses the hedonic, the sensual and the lyrical/poetic over music itself. That her self-understanding is frozen in some kind of a stasis box. Unlike - say - Sinead O'Connor or Sheryl Crow - she never commits the totality of her inner resources to the song; there is always a distance, a veil between the singer and the song and therefore, between the song and the listener.

Nonetheless.

There are some catchy tunes on this CD, my personal favorite is Raphaël. And L'excessive. And, of course, "La plus belle du quartier"

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, September 18, 2003
This review is from: Quelqu'un M'a Dit (Audio CD)
I heard this album when i was working in France this summer, and absolutely adored it. Her voice is so unusual, but it works really well with the simple music. The beauty is that even if you don't understand the lyrics, the songs are still enchanting and you can listen to it over and over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very promising debut, February 7, 2004
This review is from: Quelqu'un M'a Dit (Audio CD)
Based on this album, Carla Bruni will have no trouble making the transition from catwalk to recording studio. Very dramatically better than most 1st-time LPs you'll hear, this record bodes well for Bruni's future, and for her audience. Most of the tracks are in French, one in CB's native Italian -- all sung with total conviction, expressiveness, and individuality. This is a serious record--don't hesitate!

Quelqu'un m'a dit
Quelqu'un m'a dit by Carla Bruni (Audio CD - 2009)