4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect...
My son received this toy for Christmas, and we gave one to our niece. The verdict is that it is almost, but not quite, perfect.
Published on January 6, 2004 by Daniel L Edelen

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit tough for little hands to put together, but beautiful...
Published on December 28, 2003 by Erin Ptacek

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect..., January 6, 2004
This review is from: Quercetti Georello Kaleido Gears, 55 pieces (Toy)
The toy is a set of interlocking squares of various colors that are perforated to hold a four-pronged hub that can support one of four sizes of gears. Everything is made of a durable plastic that has some flex to it. You can create systems of gears that spin around and even construct things like gearboxes. (The cover of the box--shown above--will give you a simple idea of what can be done.) There is a manual aimed at parents that helps them teach their child how gears work, too--a nice touch.
The quality of the toy is high: the colorful stickers for the gears are plastic coated, the injection-molded pieces are free from excess plastic, and the pieces fit together solidly. It's everything you would want from a European-made toy. (Quercetti, the manufacturer, is based in Italy and the toy is actually made there.)
It's a mesmerizing little toy and its variability is virtually endless. There are other kits in the Gear line that include such things as universal joints and 3-D parts, so it is highly expandable, even as your child ages.
My quibble? Our three year old niece adores the toy, but our three year old son only plays with it in fits. Truth be told, I play with it more than my son does. So as with anything, your mileage may vary.
It's nice that toys like this one are still being made. There's a lot of learning that can occur with it, too. Factor in the expandability and how can you go wrong?
Now if only I could get my son to join me more while I'm playing with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for young kids and parents, May 3, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Quercetti Georello Kaleido Gears, 55 pieces (Toy)
This is a great toy for both kids and parents. My 4 year old daughter loves it and we've enjoyed watching her get more skilled and creative at assembling the gears. I wouldn't recommend this for kids much under 3 1/2, although our 18 month old loves watching it spin and playing with some of the individual pieces (we took out the few really small ones). It's really durable and fun for parents too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favorite toy, April 12, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Quercetti Georello Kaleido Gears, 55 pieces (Toy)
My 2 year old son was first introduced to this toy at our Montessori class...he was hooked immediately!!! It was easy for him to figure out how to put the pieces together and attach the gears (he loved being able to do all of this himself as opposed to other gear toys where most of the building is already done for you) He sat and happily played with this fantastic toy for almost an hour before we had to leave. The learning possibilities of this toy are immmense as is the "fun value". With no "bells and whistles" this toy ranks very high on our list of toys due to the fact that our son has complete creative control...it's all up to him. All in all, it's a fantastic toy that we highly recomend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kaleido Gears Review, October 9, 2001
This review is from: Quercetti Georello Kaleido Gears, 55 pieces (Toy)
Originally purchased for our 5 year-old granddaughter, this toy is a little above her developmental stage, and apparently above her grandparents as well! She and we became frustrated in trying to fit the white gear connectors to the gear pieces, and then attaching the coupled piece onto the frame. Our 8 and 11 year-old granddaughters, however, love it and fight over playing with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great learning toy, August 26, 2001
"granthamtoniamic" (FORT COLLINS, COLORADO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quercetti Georello Kaleido Gears, 55 pieces (Toy)
I purchased this toy for my three year old daughter. She loves it. The gears come with a base that connect together like a puzzle and the toy teaches kids about motion. This is a toy that both kids and parents can enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit tough for little hands to put together, but beautiful..., December 28, 2003
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Quercetti Georello Kaleido Gears, 55 pieces (Toy)
The base pieces of this toy are a bit stiff for my kids' little hands to put together. Also, the pegs that hold the gears onto the base are a bit tricky, but will build good fine motor skills if not discarded in frustration. I was just as entranced by this toy as they were as we played with it together for the first time. The brightly colored decals are trippy and fun. And learning that gears transfer energy they supply to move other gears of various sizes "on down the line" is... priceless. *grin*

4.0 out of 5 stars Quercetti Gears, July 11, 2011
Wix (PA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Quercetti Georello Kaleido Gears, 55 pieces (Toy)
I purchased these gears for my middle child, who is developmentally delayed and loves to spin things.

When I read the description of 55 pieces I thought foolishly I was going to get 55 gears. Instead, I got 55 total parts, to include the base parts, circles which connect the gears, and the gears. That worked out to 17 gears total. The gears are large, medium and small. They are colorful and easy to interlink. At first I was disappointed that I didn't get more gears in this set but after awhile of seeing how durable they were and how much my son played with them I was appeased.

I also got the bucket of Gears, Gears, Gears from another company and while those gears are a bit more plentiful and versatile, these gears are a must have set since they are larger, easier to handle and more colorful. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for a bit., January 6, 2006
Virginia E. Farrell (Albany, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quercetti Georello Kaleido Gears, 55 pieces (Toy)
We've enjoyed this toy, but it hasn't held their attention as long as I would have liked. My 4 year old is interested, but it is over quickly. I gave this a high rating because I think he will really love it in the near future when he can get more into the sophistication of the toy.

My main issue is that the white pegs that hold the gears to the blocks bend and break easily. Georello sends many extras with the pack, so it's not too much of an issue yet. I would say a definite yes for kids around the ages of 5-6, especially builders!

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better!, December 31, 2011
Mzlay (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quercetti Georello Kaleido Gears, 55 pieces (Toy)
This puts Gears Gears Gears to shame shame shame! We own two Gears Gears Gears sets, the basic set and the motorized Coggy Doggy which we just received. I really wish I didn't buy Coggy Doggy but that's another review.
Anything gears around here is a hit and with a lot of my help my guy can have fun with Gears Gears Gears. Also it's not as easy for my 3 year old to arrange the gears on the Kaleido boards but the Kaleido set makes up for that in so many ways. First of all the boards themselves are like a puzzle. With the Gears system there is no way my little guy can put them together alone or take them apart for that matter. I even have difficulty doing it. Once the gears are placed they turn so much more smoothly on Kaleido Gears which makes the work much more satisfying and less frustrating. The pieces feel nicer to the touch and are more interesting to watch because of the stickers. OK, I wish the stickers were higher quality but it's not that big a deal. Overall the Kaleido keeps my sons interest more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Difficult for Kids to Assemble, April 7, 2010
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Quercetti Georello Kaleido Gears, 55 pieces (Toy)
I got this because my 4-year-old loves gears. My kids have the Playschool Busy Gears and love them. I thought this would be a more advanced version of that for her to play with. I don't like this toy though because it is really difficult to put together. My daughter likes to turn the gears with the handle, but an adult always has to build it for her. Other kids I have seen play with this toy have a lot of trouble too. It looks cool but isn't a practical choice for a kid. The base is really hard to put together because not all of the pieces will interlock with each other. The pegs that hold the gears onto the base are also very hard to put on.