5.0 out of 5 stars Save Money and Control Quality of Ingredients
Published on March 8, 2011 by Books and Chocolate

3.0 out of 5 stars Sucralose as - HEALTHY?
Published on August 18, 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Save Money and Control Quality of Ingredients, March 8, 2011
This review is from: Quick Fix Healthy Mix: 225 healthy and affordable mix recipes to stock your kitchen (Paperback)
This is a great cookbook of basic mixes that are made with healthier ingredients than the store-bought versions and are cheaper to make. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of recipes in this book with chapters for breakfast (cereal and pancake mixes), baking mixes for all kinds of breads and cakes, pantry and refrigerator mixes that include mustards and dairy based products, main meal meat mixes, sauces, salad dressings and dips; mixes for soups, beans, rice, and pasta; beverages, seasonings, and a chapter of ideas for packaging mixes for gifts.

A recipe for a basic mix is given, followed by recipes that use the mix. For example, the dry master cream sauce mix can be used to make alfredo sauce, cheese sauce, or a meat gravy. The master baking mix is used for doughnuts, biscuits, pizza crust, and coffee cake; while the quick bread mix serves as a base for pumpkin, cranberry, carrot, apple, and banana breads. This is the only mix I've made so far and used it for pumpkin bread with good results.

Having mixes on hand to bake some brownies, make a homemade salad dressing, or put together some chai tea mix in a pretty jar for a gift is something I will appreciate not only for the convenience but also to save money and control the quality of ingredients.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited nor required. If I didn't like the book I would say so.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ones, February 24, 2012
In an effort to reduce or eliminate chemicals from my family's diet, I have been "making my own mixes" of various things for years, and have several of these types of books. This is one of the best ones I have seen. There isn't much new FOR ME because like I said, I am experienced at this already, but if you are new to this, this is definitely the first one to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick-Fix Healthy Mix, August 8, 2010
I've used and liked MIX cookbooks for years. The wonderful thing about this one is that it uses much healthier ingredients. Every recipe I've tried from it has been very tasty!

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Healthy Timesaver, August 23, 2012
I received expediately, protective pkg'd, in excellent condition, nice sz letter & word usage for easy reading. Over 225 recipes many or all of which we all use regularly or daily. My health and the 1st Lady have been the force for me to serve & eat better and change my lifestyle. And after researching author and seller I purchased this book. Not only do I use but I've shared with churches, food pantries, homeless providers; jobless families; and military families! WHY? I don't waste Money buying toxic foods,support brand advertising, nor support expensive store mark-ups! I can save money making my own convenient foods if I choose. But I've made a personal choice to go back to lots of the basics: I use fresh, (local farmers mkt) or frozen, or I pot grow as well, I store with jars, bottles & storage bags bought in bulk and reused! All are also promoted by this book, with focus still being QUICK & HEALTHY. I CHOOSE to cook on stove, because I removed and do not own a microwave anymore,I have a 3 layer steamer to fix a full meal, and I stir-fry, grill, roast, bake or use slow cooker/crock pots. The price of book outweighs medicines for Me anyday! My compliments to author and seller for making option available. It has lots of helpful hints and quick fixes for those with limited time schedules. I encourage buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome way to save & prep, October 17, 2012
First let me say that I have many books, but this book has starters for every fruit, vegetable and staple to oil and vinegar you can imagine. You will be able to create your own favorites even though this book offers 225 recipes. Casey Kellar has done an incredible job of putting these together. This book gets right to it with loads of recipes and you can alter them for those of you who are preppers for long-term storage of food too! This is not a read book, it is a direct recipe collection book for preparing meals in a jar, or condiments or herbal seasonings, marinates, dips, dressings and all ahead. You will save money! Another item you may love to accompany this book is a FoodSaver and FoodSaver Jar Sealer. Having them will aid you in storing foods for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy cooking using food mixes, March 14, 2012
I love to cook using food mixes as using your own mixes helps save time and money. Another benefit is you know exactly what goes into the food product which is a very good thing if you have food allergies or you just plain care about what you are eating. Most recipes give alternatives such as substituting a sugar substitute for sugar and the like.

Some of the recipes found in this book include:

Master Pudding Mix
Light and Fluffy Master Cake Mix
Healthy All-Purpose Baking Mix

Recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sucralose as - HEALTHY?, August 18, 2012
I was thinking about buying this book, & overall it looks like it's probably a really good one... HOWEVER - She's got a LOT of learning to do, if she thinks that Sucralose (Splenda) is healthy. I would definitely suggest doing your research before consuming it. Sucralose is poison to the body & just shy of being as toxic as aspartame. Google the dangers of sucralose/splenda & read why. Artificial sweeteners are dangers & as bad if not worse for diabetics (or anyone for that matter) than white sugar itself. The information is everywhere. Hopefully she will realize that this is true & update the book with a current version that suggests stevia, RAW honey (not just regular store honey), 100% maple syrup, xylitol, coconut palm sugar, date sugar, & rapadura, evaporated cane juice, & other sweeteners instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect gift for any new bride or young woman, December 20, 2011
I purchased a book similar to this one about 20 years ago but it is now out of print. I enjoy the task of making my own mixes (spice, baking everything). I know what's in them and can adjust according to my family's taste. This is a perfect gift for any new bride, young woman or man that is interested in actually learning how to cook from scratch. It also saves a bundle of money not having to pay for prepackaged food products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick-Fix Healthy Mix?, March 19, 2012
This book is OK, but it doesn't have what I expected in it. Some of us aren't able to get TVP or freeze dried meats locally, so if we have to mail order these, we are rather stuck. Other than that, the book is OK. I have ordered other books from Amazon that are much better for my area. They used canned meats.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick Fix? or Two Recipes?, January 13, 2013
I like this book. It's full of helpful hints for organizing your kitchen and cooking for family.

Yet I was under the impression when I purchased it that it would be filled with recipes I could make ahead of time, then use some smaller portion of for individual recipes. But most individual recipes call for a "master mix" (which could be made ahead) and the entire master mix goes into that recipe.

I give the authors credit for helping us make healthier food by choosing what goes into the meals we eat and allowing us to prepare them more economically than prepared food.

Yet most of the recipes are simply a two-stage recipe, one involving the master mix, the other whatever is to be added to the first to complete the dish.

To be fair, there is a line that says most recipes may be doubled or tripled for convenience.

The book is full of tasty-sounding foods, many of which I plan to try out. Yet I am somewhat disappointed it's not providing me with a master mix of a quantity I can make several batches of the ultimate recipe from.

$19.99 $13.75