4.0 out of 5 stars QB for Me

Published on July 13, 2008 by Reb's Boy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reference, but fell short, July 13, 2008
This review is from: QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies (Paperback)
I got this book because I was trying to navigate Quickbooks 2008 as part of my job for a local raspberry co-op. The book was helpful in getting things set up, which for the most part, was already done; however, I was looking for something to get me out of some jams, namely how to delete a duplicate paycheck, and how to correct some entries I had made for accounts payable. So far, I haven't been able to find those instructions, if they exist. The book is well written and easy for the beginner to understand, but again, I would have benefited from a chapter or two on how to correct some mistakes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Terribly Useful for LLC's, October 19, 2008
This review is from: QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies (Paperback)
If you are setting up an LLC there is alot missing in this book that you will need. For example in the payroll section there is no real informaton on how to deal with members and their salaries and how that should be tracked. This is a very common situation that newbie business owners will have to deal with and I figured a "Dummies" book would have had a step by step instructions on how to do just that.

Also the book was real chatty. The author spending lots and lots of paragraphs talking to you like you were his buddy over a beer. Most of those paragraphs were wasted ink and paper.

4.0 out of 5 stars QB for Me, October 3, 2008
Stacey M Smith (Fredericksburg, TEXAS) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies (Paperback)
I have had several years experience with QB (for Macs) and have recently started to use QB for PCs. First off let me say the transition from QB for Mac to QB for PC is a vast ocean of difference (I think I have even caused a professional bookeeper to pull her hair out over it). As a side note, I would never CHOOSE to use the Mac version of QB- so if you have a choice or are jsut setting up - save yourself some sanity - go for a PC.

I have found this guide to be straight forward and friendly, but not complete. Several times I was in the middle of reading a subject thinking, "ok, now I'm going to get somewhere" only to turn the page and the dialog dried up (i.e. not all discussions followed through to the end). In general this is a great guide to get started. If your business is complicated - hire someone to help you set up (the book actually recommends this, too). It will save you lots of time & frustratiton. With a little guidance from an accounting professional, QB for Dummies with provide you with lots of support and tips. Few guides are more comprehensive or easy to grasp the concepts. Great resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource to get you started on the right foot!, February 9, 2008
This review is from: QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies (Paperback)
If you are just getting started with QuickBooks, then you really should get this book! QuickBooks is easy to use, provided it is set up properly. This book will help you understand QuickBooks so you can get started on the right foot. If you're already familiar with QuickBooks, there is plenty of information so you're sure to learn something new! It is a great resource to have on hand!

Michelle L. Long, CPA, MBA
Author of: Successful QuickBooks Consulting: The Comprehensive Guide to Starting and Growing a QuickBooks Consulting Business
Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor
Member of Intuit Certified Trainer Network

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, February 8, 2008
Rollin Rhodes (Elizabethtown, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies (Paperback)
Excellent. Well written and well organized , but comprehensive. A little too long on the humor, which may make some more comfortable, but it seems to just slow me down slightly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick & Easy Reference!!, May 27, 2008
This review is from: QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies (Paperback)
I have several of the "for Dummies" books. This one in particular has been a great resource. It is easy to find what you need and get the answers you're looking for. Love it-thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Help!, March 3, 2008
This review is from: QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies (Paperback)
This book could have been called Quicker Quickbooks for dummies. It got me through my online class and will continue to be of good use. Thanks Amazon

2.0 out of 5 stars Learned Nothing, December 27, 2009
This review is from: QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies (Paperback)
As a CPA I find QuickBooks frustrating and difficult to use because, sometimes, it does mysterious things with transactions and does not provide reports (also known as an audit trail) that permit someone to verify that the reports are correct. For example, transactions (receipts and disbursements) that it does not know how to handle end up in a balance sheet account called "Beginning Equity". For another, a user can get a report of cash disbursements with a total; but one would not know whether the report is consistent with the general ledger since the total of the disbursements cannot be traced to the reduction of the cash account.

QuickBooks for Dummies does nothing to remove the mystery of QuickBooks and explain how the system works. It only tells the reader how transactions should be processed but says nothing informative about how to correct mistakes. Specifically. a client received from one of his customers a check that bounced. He deleted the entry that showed the debit to cash and credit to revenue. However, in the bank reconciliation the deleted deposit showed up as a check outstanding! Why? What can be done to correct this problem without causing other, unintended consequences elsewhere in the system? The book gave no guidance how to deal with such an event.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, but not what I was looking for, July 12, 2010
M. Bruno (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I have everything set up in Quickbooks already, so I was really looking for a book that would teach how to use what you already have. Instead, this book is more designed for someone who is just getting started and needs to set everything up...like payroll, inventory, etc. It's not that the book did a bad job, it just wasn't what I wanted. The Amazon explanation should be more detailed. I'm going to have to buy a reference book now which is what I should have gotten to begin with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dummies books are awesome, February 12, 2014
questman77 (Rhode Island, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is great. Right to the point, broken up logically, and has all the info you need to get going and keep going with Quickbooks. Definitely recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies
QuickBooks 2008 For Dummies by Stephen L. Nelson (Paperback - November 12, 2007)
$21.99 $20.89