on October 7, 2011
Platform for Display: Mac Download
I just upgraded to QB 2011 for Mac in January...because I was forced to. After working on my previous 2007 version a few times in Snow Leopard, I started getting dialogue boxes saying I needed to register my QB, which I ignored because it was already registered. What the dialogue box did not say was that all of my data would begin corrupting after a set number of openings. OK. I didn't like it. I felt connived as did an overwhelming # of reviewers when 2011 came out.

I've rationalized Intuit's strategy and moved on...until now. Less than 10 months later, no free upgrade, not even a moderately priced upgrade. No, Intuit wants another $200 in less than a year for a few more goodies, which, by the way, would be nice improvements.

I like the program! It functions well! I hate this company! BTW, are the posts prior to mine real? They sound more like company generated commercials than real customers. I'm willing to be wrong on this.

I don't doubt this version is actually really good. But I resent being herded into constantly shelling out full price...in less than a year!

5 stars for the product minus 2 stars for economic ethics.

****************UPDATE 3/11/14****************

Intuit upholds its stellar customer-gouging reputation as a money-sucking black hole with my latest email notification from them:

Intuit writes:
"Our records show that you are currently using QuickBooks for Mac 2011. As of May 31, 2014, Online Banking, Live Technical Support and other QuickBooks Services for this version will be discontinued.

Our policy is to offer support for the current version of QuickBooks, plus two versions back. If you want to use these Services or access Live Support you have two options.

Move to QuickBooks Online Plus, which offers Online Banking, Payments Services, and automatic updates, so your services will never be discontinued. QuickBooks Online also includes free phone-based support to make your transition as seamless as possible.

Or, upgrade to QuickBooks for Mac 2014 if you wish to remain with desktop software."

The remainder of the email describes how I can pay more--AGAIN--to have the honor of being served for the product I have paid for 3x over. Perhaps I don't get out much, but in 20 years I have not experienced a company that refuses to support its product the way Intuit does. My 2011 version works just fine (except for the services they have withdrawn) and the later versions (incl. 2014) are minimally improved and, therefore, haven't earned my business.

I get that Intuit's ultimate strategy is to have all their users pay monthly, ad infinitum, for their web-based application. I get that the new wave of software is destined for the cloud, like Adobe is doing with Photoshop, et al. The least they can do is stand behind what they've sold till we choose to trash our desktop apps. Frankly, who wants their finances floating in a dubiously secured cloud anyway--by a company that puts dollars before loyalty, no less? (You don't need a calculator to do that math.)

It's astonishing how Intuit continues to survive year in and year out with such a high degree of customer disdain. Perhaps there are few alternatives to Quickbooks because Intuit buys them out as they crop up. Ooops...just spilled my conspiracy Kool-Aid into my keyb*#;i

I'm deleting another star for my frustration and impending sense that I'll ultimately pay this preposterous piper again.

UNLESS, someone knows of a competent, user-friendly, Mac-based accounting software.
Really...help...Help...HELP!!!

There...I almost feel better--except I still own this software.
4141 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hi Magikchef,
I apologize for the experience you had running QuickBooks 2007 for Mac on Snow Leopard. As you note, there were a number of compatibility issues between QuickBooks 2007 and Snow Leopard, including the fact that registration didn't work on the new operating system. But we haven't seen data corruption; this could be a one-off problem with your file. If you haven't resolved the problems with your file, let me know, I can help.

I understand you're frustrated with the frequency and price of upgrades. We're constantly improving our products based on customer feedback and like to get new features out as fast as possible to make small businesses more productive. Many customers we talk to appreciate the improvements and choose to upgrade. Also, we offer a discounted price for customers upgrading from a prior version. That said, you can always choose to hold off until the next release.

on December 11, 2011
Platform for Display: Mac DiscVerified Purchase
I am a small business farm owner who owns QuickBooks for the Mac 2009. When Lion came out, instead of upgrading its software to work with Lion like ALL my other software makers, Intuit chose to force me to buy a new copy of their software. On their website, where the cost of their software is so much higher than on Amazon, they offer a $30 upgrade discount that brings the cost of the new product to a sum still higher than I can buy a new copy on Amazon. Because my accountant uses QuickBooks, they have me over a barrel and are using that advantage to extort me to buy another copy rather than supporting 2 year software, a fact that infuriates me. On top of that, my wife uses Quicken for the Mac 2007. She tried to upgrade to a more recent version but found the new versions don't offer bill-pay integrated into the accounting registers like the old software. Why? Because Intuit now offers a $9.95 PER MONTH service that does bill pay. Clearly being able to force users to pay $119.40 a year for that service plus for new software to use that service is an extraordinary money maker for them but extortion to me. I had to buy Quickbooks this time but am moving to MoneyDance instead of Quicken and hope for a better alternative when Intuit stops supporting my recent purchase in 2 years. Richard Wilson
The manufacturer commented on the review below
Platform for Display: Mac DiscVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Quicken is the personal finance program and QuickBooks the business program. People who rely on either one are entrusting their most sensitive data to a software company. Unfortunately, as Mac users of Quicken know by now, Intuit has basically discontinued the product and betrayed their longtime Mac user base. For the new, Lion compatible version of Quicken (called Essentials), key capabilities such as online Bill Pay are no longer supported. This is a huge problem for me. I have had a smooth system in place for a number of years paying bills with a click through my financial institution online via Quicken Bill Pay - and by the way paying $10 per month for this service, or $120 per year, every year. I would be happy to continue - but this problem is preventing me from upgrading my main desktop iMac to Lion from Snow Leopard.

When QuickBooks for Mac 2012 came out, I thought I might see a way to work around the problem. Surely they must support online billpay for business users! I would just accept the extra, unneeded complexity of using a business as opposed to a personal finance program, import my files into QuickBooks, and be able to use online billpay with a Lion compatible product. Thus I secured a copy of QuickBooks for Mac 2012.

Unfortunately, no. I now have delivery of QuickBooks for Mac 2012 and have more carefully studied what it does and does not do. Online Bill Pay is not found in the Mac version of Quickbooks either! It is astonishing that Intuit would fail to include this essential feature in all its current Mac products leaving its loyal customers high and dry. What a bizarre "marketing strategy," to continue to offer Mac products, but with downgraded functionality which causes customers to lose facilities they have depended on. I am extremely annoyed. Intuit seems to care nothing about the bad will they have engendered by mistreating a segment of their customer base. This is not the stuff of which great corporations are made.

The bottom line is that Intuit cannot be trusted to continue to support Mac users; don't trust them with your financial life.

Note added Dec 17: I have been able to continue using Quicken Billpay on my iMac by the method of creating a separate partition to run Snow Leopard, while upgrading to Lion on the bigger partition. I keep the smaller partition simply to run Quicken 2007 for Mac. This is a bit cumbersome and inconvenient but should work until some non-Intuit company comes out with proper financial software for Mac.

Note added Dec. 23: I received an email from Intuit today, sent to all Quicken for Mac users, which said they realize they screwed up for their Mac customers and are planning to release a Lion compatible version of Quicken 2007 for Mac next spring. Happy to hear they read these reviews.

Note added March 16 2012: The Lion compatible version of Quicken 2007 for Mac is now available but unfortunately seems itself to have serious bugs which causes it to crash. Advice: Wait for updates. At the same time my Quicken 2006 has stopped connecting reliably to Quicken BillPay due to some problem at the mothership. What a bunch of dorks.

Note added July 2, 2012: The Lion compatible version of Quicken 2007 is still not fixed. In April In-toot posted a note they were looking for bug reports and that's the last we've heard from them. Four months and they can't fix it. Do not know how to fix it. Do not have people who can program computers. Who ever heard of a major company with this kind of hopeless, pathetic incompetence?
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hi Doctor.Generosity,
Thank you for your review. As you note, QuickBooks for Mac does not offer online bill payment capability. (To clarify, this was not removed from QuickBooks for Mac; it has never been offered in QuickBooks for Mac.) This is one of several key differences between Quicken and QuickBooks, including:
-QuickBooks maintains double-entry accounting behind the scenes (the standard for business accounting)
-QuickBooks offers forms like invoices and purchase orders that can be emailed to your customers and vendors
-Quicken offers purpose-built features for tracking investment transactions and holdings

We're disappointed that you would undermine the words of other users and entrepreneurs as fake. We assure you, we will NEVER write our own reviews. It's against who we are as a company. Instead, we're heads down on improving the product and will look into Online Bill Pay in future releases. Thanks for your feedback on this. Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss any other ideas with us. Email me at quickbooksmac at intuit dot com.

on January 24, 2012
Platform for Display: Mac Disc
ThiS is what I have t sayt to will Lynes:

HORSEPUCKEY, HORSEPUCKEY, HORSEPUCKEY!!!

Your company - Intuit - is dishonest in the extreme. I have unfortunately used Quickbooks and its predecessor to manage the accounting for my two companies for EIGHTEEN years now.

Among my companies, I owned "Internet" one of the early Macintosh software developers. We created the industry standard for electronic mail for Macs and PCs, which we sold to Microsoft in 1990. so I have plenty of experience as a software developer, and know what I am looking at...

I lived through Intuit's 6 year exile - wherein they refused to provide ANY support whatsoever for Macintosh customers, and have since been FORCED to pay FULL RETAIL price for EVERY upgrade - up through QuickBooks Pro 2007, and several of its updates. (I am now on the last 2007 version issued - v.9.0.6R7) This version has quite a number of serious bugs, which long ago your technical people admitted to, and repeatedly promised that I would receive -- free -- an upgrade to correct the problems. And to add insult to injury, I also experience the program periodically deciding that I am NOT a registered user and putting me into trial mode, and ultimately deliberately corrupting my datafile after a certain number of uses. This is beyond disgusting behavior for a big company like this. Makes me understand why some people are driven to firebomb buildings...! (laughter) This all is especially disgusting as the program is intentionally built to act this way.

Ultimately the Intuit tech people admitted that they would not be EVER sending out the promised upgrade, that they were too busy finishing the "next" version of the software, and they would sent THAT one to me FREE as a fix.

Well, despite my many calls, that version never arrived. Finally after almost EIGHTEEN months of calls to Intuit, I was told that I could download the then brand new 2011 version of QuickBooks as a fix, free of charge. It is a good thing I knew your company's crappy code well enough to first ensure that I had MULTIPLE backups of my datafiles. Your 2011 version would not run properly literally every time I downloaded it (3 times), and each time it totally trashed my datafiles in EXACTLY the same way. Intuit's tech support finally admitted to me that there were known bugs, but that "they would be fixing them."

After 6 months of calls, to no avail - no "fixed" or updated versions were made available to me - I was told that there would be no further work done on the 2011 product as they were already working their "2012" product, and that THIS would contain the bug fixes I needed, and I was assured a free upgrade when it became available.

After Intuit finally announced the 2012 Mac product, I called up for support and a bug fix upgrade (for free, as promised FOR SO LONG) and first was told during 3 separate calls that (after 18 years as a registered user) that there was NO RECORD OF ME as a registered user. Magically on the fourth call, I somehow once again existed as a registered user, but now Intuit refused to keep their promise and send me the upgrade for free - the upgrade I had waited almost TWO YEARS for... And now Intuit wanted me to pay $200 for an upgrade to fix my problems. THIS IS PATENTLY ABUSIVE. There are no significant feature upgrades that mean anything in terms of actual functionality in this version of the program (over my current version), and Intuit owed me a bug fix upgrade, having left me to live with many untenable bugs for more than TWO YEARS. After my nightmarish experiences with Intuit's 2011 version of Quickbooks, I decided to stay with the bugs I knew, and keep using my 2007 version.

Recently, several weeks ago, as my office wanted and needed to upgrade to OSX 10.7 for a number of reasons, So we called around to our software vendors to ensure all our daily software worked under OSX 10.7. When I called Intuit to ask if you would run under 10.7. I was told resoundingly "YES" - that my version of QuickBooks *WOULD* ABSOLUTELY RUN UNDER OSX V.10.7. Based upon my experiences with Intuit -- you can speak to several different tech reps, and receive a different answer from each one... And having run a successful Mac software company, I could always tell that Intuit's tech reps are usually reading scripts and as a rule just don't have a clue what they are actually talking about, and few even truly have used a Macintosh much, if at all. In fact most sem to be in foreign countries - never a good sign (foreign accent + obvios script readin = "twilight zone" level of support!). Well, I spoke with THREE separate Intuit tech support reps, who each ASSURED me that my version WOULD ABSOLUTELY run under OSX 10.7. I was also told that our existing Turbo Tax versions for the last several years would run under 10.7 as well.

So, we upgraded to 10.7 ten days ago. And to my shock, Ouickbooks WILL NOT RUN at all. I called and complained and the liars denied ever telling me that my software would work with 10.7, and told me that my only alternative is, you guessed it, to pay them $200 for an "upgrade"... SO NOW I AM NOW LEFT WITH *NO* FUNCTIONAL ACCOUNTING SYSTEM and no ability to process ad records deposits, write checks, make payroll properly, etc etc etc. I have called Intuit several times and keep repeatedly denying that they EVER told me that my version would run under OSX 10.7, and offered to do me a favor by giving me an addition $10 off the $199 "upgrade" price.

This is a travesty, and dishonest beyond belief. No amount of being escalated (generally to people from other countries who were clearly just reading scripts), would find a HUMAN BEING who would recognize that as a long-term registered user -- one who had paid FULL retail price for upgrades far too many times -- that Intuit owes me an upgrade, and has some responsibility for my current nightmare, especially as their staff three times assured me that my version would run under 10.7.

And as a result, Intuit, you owe me a free upgrade to your current 2012 version, or at at the very least you owe me an upgrade at a MODEST and fair "upgrade" price.

I am suck in the worst way - while I could purchase a "better" accounting program (one without bugs, and that is more Macintosh), I would have to re-key all my data. And as I have EIGHTEEN years of data, PLUS my TurboTax files, this is not exactly an option. So I am effectively stuck with Intuit.

My old company is still an Apple developer, and I can assure you that if you (Intuit) do not handle this in an honorable fashion, just on principle, I will expend any amount of money and effort necessary to inform the public as to your reputation and slimy sales tactics, and your refusal to support purchasers of your software. I will do this on the web, I will lobby at Apple to have Intuit eradicated from their sales channel, and I will do so at the large mail order houses as well as in the press and online user forums. I will be tireless in my campaign.

Intuit has become an monolith who only cares about revenues, and who clearly feels no need to "DO THE RIGHT THING"... IT IS TIME THAT Intuit SUFFERED THE CONSEQUENCES of their actions. And, as my experience seems to be pretty uniform among users, I am sure that many will join in with the crusade that I am about to start. I have spoken with the Attorney General's Consumer protection Department, and this may qualify as a train case. They also advised me to file a lawsuit, and exactly what kind to file. Intuit will have to come to massachusetts to defend themselves in court, and I will paper them to death, and run their legal bills up to heaven!

As I said, I will be suing Intuit in Massachusetts courts for damages and failure to comply with the terms of your user agreement. Prepare to hire and send an attorney - I will paper you yo death, and this will cost you a fortune.

ANY OTHER USERS TERESTED IN BEING A PARTY TO THE SUIT, AND/OR AN ATTORNEY GENERAL'S INVESTIGATION INTO INTUIT'S PRACTICES??? IF SO CONTACT ME AND LET ME KNOW.

This has become a matter of principle. Those who have no honor deserve to be treated as such.

Intuit, if you would like to contact me in an effort to resolve the horrible position you have left me in as a direct result of your actions, you my write to me at:

simpatico2@mac.com

If I hear from you I will supply you with my cell, real email and other information.

Steven in Massachusetts
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2011
Finally decided to take the plunge and move our quickbooks over from Windows to Mac. I had no idea what pain and suffering I was in for. The Quickbooks 2012 says that it makes it easy to import windows files, but I found that I had to go back and export for Mac to make it work. Once I did import I found that all my online accounts had to be re-set up and that I couldn't get them all to match what I previously had. The worst part of the transition is payroll. If you use Quickbooks for payroll on Windows your payroll plan does not transfer. You have to close out your windows payroll and re-enroll in Mac. Trying to get this little bit of info took almost an hour on the phone with Intuit where I was transfered to no less than 5 different representatives. The kicker here is that the payroll service for Mac is CONSIDERABLY more expensive than windows. For us this meant $60-$80 more a year for payroll services, an extremely high premium to use the version for the mac.

Many of the features in the Windows version aren't present in the Mac including the all important Accountant's copy.

I've begrudgingly used QuickBooks for years manly because its the only game in town. I've endured price gouging, incompetent support and technical issues. Moving to the Mac was by far the most painful thing I've had to do with quickbooks and in the end I decided to scrap it and go back to the windows version. Really a shame.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 18, 2011
Platform for Display: Mac DownloadVerified Purchase
I upgraded to the 2012 version from the 2010 version hoping Intuit has FINALLY seen the light. They haven't. For whatever reason Intuit seems to view the Mac version of their accounting software as the useless step-child. While the 2012 version is decidedly improved, it is still ARCHAIC compared to their 1995 Windows version. From reading the forums I have found that numerous people, including myself, have had a problem where QB credits a customer without using the credits. Hard to explain but the result is that the customer shows a zero balance, but has a perpetual credit that refuses to go away. I had learned to work around it in the 2010 version, but it has come back to life in the less than two weeks since I "upgraded". Intuit offered back in 2010 to fix my problem but only if I send them an additional several hundred $$$$ on top of the several hundred dollars I have already given them. As a business owner, I don't have the time to sit on IGNORE for hours on end and, besides that, I never learned to speak East Indian. Additionally, despite the name "Intuit", the Mac version of Quickbooks is anything but intuitive. As I said, the 2012 version is an improvement, but still archaic by comparison. If you haven't yet converted your accounting program to Mac, don't. You'll be disappointed. The next best suggestion, if you have to have an Intuit product and want to use your Mac, would be to get the windows version and run it on Parrallels. Intuit for Mac has a STEEP learning curve and requires numerous work-arounds. Their product is the ONLY thing about my Macs I hate.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 2, 2011
I run a small organization, and I periodically look at QuickBooks, as an option to having our accountant do our tax returns. I am still not impressed.

PAYPAL & CREDIT CARDS: If you have income or expenses via PayPal, or pay many things by credit card, you are out of luck. No easy way to import these records en mass. -- Their IIF and QIF import (e.g., you export IIF from PayPal) doesn't bring in transactions as you'd expect.

INTUIT ADVERTISING: This is a $200 software, and yet much of the user interface is dedicated to getting you to buy more Intuit products or product subscriptions, such as their merchant services, and their payroll services. This kind of in-application advertising is as absurd as Microsoft advertising the XBox in the middle of using Microsoft Excel.

INTERFACE & WORKFLOW: I have seen versions of Quickbooks tracing back over 10 years. Aside from a little polish, this is basically the same user interface as they had in 1995. It was confusing then, and is confusing now. The workflow is basically designed for a simple, local business like a florist or painting contractor -- with a lot of estimates, customers, checks, etc. If you sell products (to thousands of customers), hire contractors, pay expenses on a credit card or via ACH, receive donations or have other business expenses, the workflow starts to die.

REPORTS: The system is divided into entering transactions, and viewing reports. You have a "process" a report to see summaries. That doesn't make sense. There should be simple, real-time, snapshot views of what's going on in your business. It doesn't.

I'd prefer a system where I enter (a) income; (b) expenses; and can tag each element by kind. And (c) statements from financial institutions. The software should use those tags, and cross-reference them with the statements. Quickbooks will not let you do anything without defining virtual accounts. And their importing options are poor.
on October 31, 2011
Platform for Display: Mac Disc
I'm using QB to run a small business, and it's basically meeting my demands. But I need the help of an accountant now and then, and when I ask her various questions, she responds by saying, "Only the PC version does that" and "Why don't you just convert to the PC version; it's so much easier." She uses both fluently, but I'm frustrated that I can't seem to acheive the same results on a Mac. What's the point of having a Mac if you're running in Parallels anyway? Another problem is that I can't store credit card numbers and info in the program. Given that I bill directly through intuit, it's shocking that, even with password protection, simple card info storage is unavailable. Again, I'm told the PC version allows for this, but I've never used it. Also, for the love of God, don't buy the customer service month-to-month package! It's the absolute worst. You call India, sit on hold for literally hours, only to get passed on to the next department. Sometimes you get a well-trained rep and sometimes you get someone who literally has to put you on hold for every question while he goes to ask his supervisor how to answer your question. I realize that this issue is outside the realm of the actual program, but some sort of support is critical to learning such a complicated program. Then, of course, there's account-linking with Intuit Online that should allow Intuit-processed credit card payments to automatically update Quickbooks as cards are charged and deposited. When you call to have this feature activated, you sit on the phone as technician after technician put you on hold and then tell you "On PC, it's no problem, but I have no idea how to link your Intuit CC Account to update QB for Mac. Please hold." Here's the kicker: on a PC, this link-up service is free. On a Mac, after sitting on hold for two hours as CS tries to figure out how to get me set up, they tell me, "Sorry, on the Mac version that's $10 per month." "I say, I thought Macs are supposed to be simple." They (Inuit!) respond, "Oh no, sir, the QB for Mac is much more difficult." AHHHHHHHHH! On the flip side, the inventory side of things is quite swell.
VINE VOICEon October 31, 2011
As a CPA and certified Quickbooks advisor, I've used Quickbooks on windows for years. Usually I have to tell a client to stick with windows whenever they inquire about wanting a Mac.

The latest update from Intuit does little to change this recommendation. It's simply not on par with its windows counterpart.

As another reviewer smartly points out, there is no accountants copy. I would say it's a dealbreaker. If you're going to use a Mac at least get some software to run windows on it such as Fusion.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2011
Platform for Display: Mac Download
The number one reason to choose Quickbooks for Mac is that it is probably the most comprehensive double-entry accounting package for Mac environments. It also comes with a server app that will let you host your file from your Mac server. Intuit has spent a lot of resources to improve on the previous version, including making it fully LION compatible.

There are some drawbacks that I am still hoping to get addressed:
- no iPad or iPhone app for service-based businesses to create invoices, purchase orders, etc. while out in the field.
- not suitable for project workflow and management, like other competing offerings.
- purchase order workflow requires that payment be rendered after items are received -- that doesn't work for me, as I pay for all my items prior to receipt.

The issues mentioned are minor, and overall I am very happy with Quickbooks 2012. I can take the a copy of the file to my accountant without issues, which helps tremendously during tax season.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hi Michael,
Thank you for your review. We will consider your suggested enhancements. If iPhone access to your QuickBooks data is critical for your business, you might take a look at QuickBooks Online. It runs in Safari and allows you to access customer information and enter estimates and sales on the go.

Could you describe what you're looking for in project workflow and management?