1,053 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars New user or updating?
EDIT (12/9/2012): Intuit's R4 update of QB Pro 2013 has some improvements over the original 2013 release (see below). At least one is quite important since it allows one to readily tell which company file is open. Even so, I left this as four stars, but call it four and a half! There are other improvements listed but I haven't looked at them yet.

I wish I could...
Published on October 24, 2012 by Bertilak

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Upgrade at All Costs
02/01/13 UPDATE:

My original review is below (a 3 out of 5 stars), but after the experiences of the last couple of weeks I am modifying the review and hope this isn't happening to you: despite what may be claimed, the 2013 version can't do electronic filing of 1099's as there is a problem with the sync manager.

Intuit's customer support board (which...
Published on November 3, 2012 by Michael Gallagher

4.0 out of 5 stars New user or updating?, October 24, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I wish I could give two star ratings: One for new users and one for up-daters. The four-star rating I gave is for new users.

New users should go ahead and read all the reviews for earlier versions. QuickBooks is popular for a reason. It does the job and does it well. It is not perfect and has room for improvement but there are not a lot of other choices in this price range.

For up-daters, I give it three stars. There is no compelling reason to go from the 2012 version to the 2013 version. Of course if you are on an earlier version that is reaching the end of its support life then you really should update and there is no compelling reason *not* to go to this version. Well, I suppose you can still get the 2012 version (as of this writing) and get it cheaper but that would just mean your next forced update would come a year earlier, pretty much wiping out whatever you might save.

Comments on some of the complaints I read in reviews here:

1. Wasted screen space. The worst offender is that big, fat, icon bar on the left, taking up about 20% of the available space. At first this was enough to make me want to chuck the whole thing, but you can use the View menu to move the icon bar back to the top where it belongs, or even remove it completely since there is nothing on the icon bar that can't be reached from the menu bar.

2. Larger fonts. This is another space waster, requiring additional scrolling through lists and even left-right scrolling (or adjusting column widths, where there is room). There is not too much you can do about this one but it is not all that big a problem on my 1600x900 screen. I can see where this could be more of an annoyance for lower resolutions.

EDIT (12/9/2012): Intuit's latest release (R4) claims to have improved the fonts. I didn't notice a difference so it may be quite subtle, or maybe it is isolated to areas I haven't explored yet.

3. No more color schemes. Yup, you need to stick with the one they give you. No choices. As mentioned elsewhere this is a disadvantage if you want to use color schemes to distinguish between companies. I personally have only one company to deal with and find the color scheme they provide to be just fine. Even though I have only one company I sometimes like to experiment with things and in the past used a red-leaning color scheme as a warning that I was in my experimental "company" so this is somewhat an annoyance to me also.

EDIT (12/9/2012): Intuit's latest release (R4) has a little colored "flag" on the top window border that can be set to any one of a good number of color choices, a different one for each company. This solves what I think was the most serious problem with QB Pro 2013. Also, I like the looks of it. Apparently they listened to the chorus of complaints about this! They also allow for a lighter background on the icon bar that makes the different icons easier to distinguish. I actually prefer the more soothing-to-the-eye original (for 2013) darker color -- you get used to the different icons' locations and don't need to look as carefully after a while so the darker color is not a problem and it is more soothing.

Bottom line is a repeat of what I said above: Update if you need to and there should be no big problems, but I see nothing in the new version that is compelling. There are slight disadvantages but they are not that important, at least to me. If you are new to QuickBooks, might as well go for this version as getting the latest will put off forced upgrades for an extra year.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Upgrade at All Costs, November 3, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
02/01/13 UPDATE:

Intuit's customer support board (which is online) is filled with questions from users wondering what is going on, including me. Every time you try to initiate or use the sync manager, QB crashes - and despite submitting a ticket with your email address in to Intuit, they refuse to reply.

I spent an hour and a half on the phone with their outsourced overseas support line to no avail, and was passed to four different "help" desks, with the final resolution from the manager of the group to "call back tomorrow" to start the process over again. Amazing.

As a result, I had to pay extra to outsource the 1099 process this year.

I've been a QB user for over 15 years, and I will say I wish I had never upgraded to 2013. The changed functionality, repeated crashes, inability to process 1099's electronically, topped with the lack of support from either their online resources or call-in "help" line is actually mind-boggling from a customer satisfaction standpoint. If you don't need to upgrade, I would wait until the last possible minute you can before you take the plunge and put your reporting at risk as I did with mine.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

As background, I have been using a version of Quick Books for about 15 years, and I am a CPA in real life - I don't consider myself an expert with Quick Books, as I currently use this as a relatively simple single-member LLC, but I have run Quick Books in the past as an S-Corporation manufacturing and retail entity.

Overall, if you use Quick Books like I do you're really not going to notice many new "great" enhancements or features - to me, it's more of the same. The screen layout is a lot different and a lot of the words are hard to read, even with my readers on, and is very "plain" looking. Actually, it's rather ugly.

Installation was a pain in the neck - the program crashed multiple times after installation while I was trying to open (this was before the conversion stage) my previous version of my company files. After rebooting three different times, the software finally quit crashing.

Quick Books is a great program to get your small business in-line from a financial recording standpoint, so if you have been considering a bookkeeping software package, you won't go wrong with this one. If you are needing to upgrade your current version of Quick Books due to the screwy "have to buy a license every couple of years" model Intuit forces on you, I would save your money and wait until you absolutely have to upgrade. $200 for an upgrade without a lot of new functionality is a lot of money to thrown down while we are still in a recession.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick with 2012!, October 17, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
A few days ago I "upgraded" to 2013 and promptly went back to 2012. The new screen layout is a disaster. There are two main problems:

1.) You can no longer change color schemes for your different companies to make it easier to tell which company you are working in. Actually, they have removed any and all ability for you to change the screen appearance in any way. Instead of adding functionality here, they just removed it all! They have decided that they know what fits you best and you can like it or lump it!

2.) They have enlarged the screen fonts until there is at least 30% LESS information visible on the screen. Sure, large fonts can be seen from a distance, but you also can't see very many characters in the same space. So, what happens, is that to navigate your information you have to do MUCH more scrolling than you used to do. Scrolling takes time and is frustrating. Also, horizontally you can't see as many characters in a column. So if you have two names that are similar, the last characters are truncated leaving you to guess which line you need to select.

I personally don't like the drab black, white, and grey color scheme. It is lifeless and ugly in my opinion. I think that Quickbooks has made a mistake here. They should have added the new interface, and made it the default if they wished, but not removed the other schemes for those of us who really use the program day in and day out and don't want to work harder to get the same results.

I plan to stay with 2012 and watch to see if they will add the screen functionality options back, and if not then I will probably shop for another accounting package in the future.

So sad, I have been a die-hard Intuit fan since Windows 95.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 9:16:41 AM PDT
Hi Pete,
I'm happy to say we have a new R4 that have introduced an alternative top icon bar with colored icons and a light colored background. You can choose this option by going to Edit > Preferences > Desktop View > My Preferences > Switch to colored icons/light background once you have performed the update.

The R4 update can be accessed at http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com, click on "product updates".

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at customer_loyalty@intuit.com Attn: Corie

Thanks,

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the feedback on our new version of QuickBooks. We have refreshed its look and feel but we haven't changed the powerful things it does for customers. We hope the updates ultimately make using QuickBooks easier and early indications from many customers have been very positive. We hope you'll give it a chance and we appreciate your business.

November 2012 Update:
If you have downloaded our latest maintenance release you will notice several improvements to QuickBooks including updates to the icons on the left and top menus which make them easier to read and easier to identify important tasks. We also improved text labels to make them easier to read and updated the background from white to gray on Bills, Checks, and Centers to reduce glare some customers called out as distracting. We'll keep listening and working to make the product the best it can be for customers.

To make sure you have downloaded the latest updates, please click the F2 button and make sure you are on Release R3P. If you aren't you can update QuickBooks by going to Help/Update QuickBooks/Update Now and check the Maintenance Release Box. Click Get Updates to download the latest.

Corie, QuickBooks Customer Care

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars QB Pro 2013 has gone over to the Dark Side, November 28, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
You will H-A-T-E this new design. I have been a QuickBooks user for something like 20 years and have always sung its praises. Intuit created a miraculous bookkeeping program that has always been (with minor exceptions) incredibly user friendly and exceptionally functional. I have been dreading the day when intuit would finally decide to go over to the Dark Side and follow in the footsteps of Microsoft marketing strategies -- that apparently being the idea of "change for the sake of change," while complicating operation and thwarting productivity with no particular benefit to the user.

My experience with 2013 so far is that it does not work with a widescreen monitor, and there is no adjustment that you can make, either with the monitor buttons or the display options, that will address this. If I try to adjust my display for the QB screens, the fonts become miniscule in the Office screens. The information on screen is very, very large, and I can't see the buttons at the bottom of the screen. There is no longer a scroll bar to the right, so I can't even scroll down to get my save and close or save and new buttons. If you use your tool bar at the top of your screen, the button names are now perhaps a font size 3 or 4 -- larger if you use them on your left, but then you have even more items to take up space on your screen. You no longer have the display color options and you are stuck with black, gray, and white, which is very hard on the eyes. Fonts and lines are now very light and difficult to read. Every morning I have to reset everything I changed yesterday in order to get a functioning work space.

This wonderful program that worked superbly is now a total mess. I have been told that software changes are being made to garner the tablet market? I am a professional working in an office at a desk, and I need professional tools to do a professional job. Perhaps Intuit should develop a separate program for mobile devices and leave us with the tried and true professional computer software that works just fine.

After changing to a square monitor, and working with Intuit tech support to adjust my screen down to a useable size, I returned this software two days later and went back to my reliable and useable Pro 2011. I suggest you pay attention to the negative reviews on this software and believe them.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:29:31 AM PST
Update 12/6/2012
Hi Cheryl,
Great news! The R4 update is now available. Go to the web link http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com, click on "product updates", Please take a moment and update to the latest release.

Hi Cheryl,
Let's see if we can't get this issue resolved for you. Sounds like you're having some screen resolution issues. QuickBooks indeed works with all widescreen monitors.

Good news, this can be fixed. Based on what you are describing, it sounds as though you are using QuickBooks 2013 with a very small screen display resolution (e.g. 1024x768) which explains why you are missing scroll bars and some of the interface is overlapping. You may also have your Windows font size turned up to a bigger font than default. The minimum screen display resolution QuickBooks 2013 supports with a larger Windows font size setting is 1400 x 1050. If you want to use QuickBooks with larger fonts, you will need to use a larger resolution than 1024 x 768 for it to fit well on the screen.

Keep in mind if you do increase the font size, it will change the resolution and font sizes for ALL the other programs you run in Windows.

As for customizing the vendor list, I would suggest downloading the latest patch, R4 . You may go to the following link and click "product updates" http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com

I hope this helps. Please feel free to email me at customer_loyalty@intuit.com Attn: Corie for any further questions you may have.

Thank you for being a valuable QuickBooks customer.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars You need to know this before buying! (updated), October 13, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
Just something to consider before purchasing: Although I must say there are a few nice upgrades to this version over QB 2012, I don't think the average user will think they outweigh the major step backwards in the visuals of the new product. (The following complaint has now been remedied. See update below.) The color scheme has changed drastically. The desktop is a dull gray and the icon bar is black with thin white text for the titles -- very difficult to read and differentiate between the icons. The dullness gives me a head-ache, and I'm not the only one who feels this way. Definitely look at it on someone else's computer before making the investment. I'm hoping Intuit provides a fix to this problem so I can use this version, but for now I'm sticking with 2012! (I will definitely change my review if it gets fixed.)

UPDATE: I must give credit to Intuit for finally listening to their customers regarding the color scheme changes. The latest Release, which is #6, includes color schemes again and an earlier Release, #4, allowed color changes in the icon bar. These were my major complaints.

However, this version is still the largest graphics change from any prior version that I've seen yet. It has more of a Microsoft top ribbon concept in the windows now, which will take a little adjusting for users who are familiar with the previous versions of the product. I didn't like it when Microsoft made the change because I had to relocate a number of things, and I'm not thrilled about it with Intuit either. Bottom Line, I think a lot of us simply don't like a lot of change all at once. New users probably won't have any problems with it.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 9:03:08 AM PDT
J. Reid,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you have experienced headaches using the new software and feel our new visual design is a step backwards. We are very proud of our new visual design for QuickBooks 2013. You can learn more about why we made the changes by visiting the following knowledge base article http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/INF21127.

We are not planning any drastic changes to the new design however, we actively monitor user feedback and where appropriate, we will make incremental tweaks to further enhance the design. Please feel free to continue to provide feedback from within the QuickBooks product by going to Help/Send Feedback Online.

November 2012 update
Hello J. Reid,

I wanted to give you a quick update on some of the improvements we have made to QuickBooks 2013 as a result of direct customer feedback.

We've made improvements to the icons in the left tool bar and top icon bar. Some of the icons were similar is shape, making it difficult for some customers to identify. As a result of this feedback, we've redesigned these icons and gave them a more distinct shape, making it easier to identify tasks and navigate through QuickBooks. We also brightened up the text labels for easier reading. Another improvement we made as a result of customer feedback was changing the background from white to gray on Bills, Checks and Centers to reduce glare a few customers found distracting.

Please be sure and accept the most recent maintenance release, available now. Depending on how you set up your QuickBooks preferences, you may automatically receive the updates. To manually download the update, go to Help -> Update QuickBooks, click on the Update Now tab, be sure Maintenance Releases is checked, then click on Get Updates.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Andrea Rahn, QuickBooks Customer Care

3.0 out of 5 stars Intuit forces another bad change on us!, October 13, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
First thing I recommend is that you click on the names of the people who are posting positive reviews and look at what else they have reviewed. Most have only ever reviewed an Intuit product! This should make you a little skeptical about the authenticity of these positive reviews!

I am a long time QB user and internal feedback seems to fall on deaf ears at Intuit! The re-design is awful! You should have given us the choice to select which "skin" we wanted. This is just like the 2009 online banking change that Intuit forced on us. How did that work out for you? I have been begging for real improvements for years to no avail.

1. How about printing credits used to pay bills on the check stub so that the vendor will know we used a credit!
2. How about the ability to un-apply a credit that we applied to the wrong bill? Currently you have to delete it and re-enter it!
3. How about the ability to delete the audit trail as we wish to. My file is very large and slow due to the audit trail that I can no longer delete! This is my data!

1.0 out of 5 stars LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP, October 25, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
For years I've been buying the next edition of Quickbooks, hoping for some major changes in functionality and flexibility. Usually, I check out what the updates are before I buy, but this time I was in a rush and our receptionist ordered the update for me. . . What a SHOCK!

I was pretty horrified to see the new display. I'm sure there are some who like it, but all of the complainers are right: It is extremely hard on the eyes because there is not enough contrast. My advice to anyone who is thinking of upgrading is make sure you have a good LOOK at it before you take the plunge.

We are going back to the prior version!

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 8:49:50 AM PDT
Luckyme 99,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with the new version of QuickBooks. We take our feedback seriously. We've heard from a few of our users who share the same concerns. We monitor user feedback and where appropriate, we'll make incremental tweaks to further enhance the design during our regular release cycles.

We appreciate your loyalty as a user.
Sincerely,
Andrea Rahn, QuickBooks Customer Care

1.0 out of 5 stars My eyes haven't stopped twitching yet, October 31, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
Yesterday I gave into the little annoying popups telling me I had a free upgrade to QB2013 ProPlus, after spending most of my morning upgrading the software I could not believe my eyes. The new color scheme is absolutely horrible,old looking,a lot brighter, and it is a lot harder to locate items, after a few hours my eyes started to twitch, so now I have to take a lot more breaks from the computer screen. I called the support number to find out if there was a way to switch back the look and there is not, in fact they said they were shocked that I did not like it since all their beta testers loved it, and a lot of time went into to 'fixing' visibility issues with the 2012 version. Since it appears that QB doesn't really care what their customers feel about the product, and chooses to mostly reply with the same information I will be converting back to the 2012 version.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful. Just awful., November 14, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
I've used QB since before they labeling by year, which goes a long way back. There have been some bad years before (2006, 2008 come to mind) but this is just insulting.
The look of it reminds me a lot of the online version. If you haven't worked with that abomination yet, pray you never have to if you are a regular quick books user, because that will add hours to your workload. You'll have to unlearn whatever you are comfortable with to figure out where everything is with that thing.
At least the functionality of this one doesn't mimic the online version but the fonts, look etc., do. That's really just an annoyance.
When they start moving things around, such as history of a transaction for say an invoice, which you will now find on a tab under some kind of reports..I can't even recall because I'm still annoyed...or look for the "to be printed" feature, which now says "print later" which I think came from the MAC version. Don't get me started on the MAC version...

Why do the developers of this software always think the best way to do this is to dumb it down? Really, why?
I'm trying to work here. I don't need more icons, I don't need yellow boxes with hints, (yes, I can turn them off, I know)and I don't need anything clogging up the screen. I just want to input the work, print a report and move on.

Save your money, stick with 2012. Maybe next year they will make something for professionals.

1.0 out of 5 stars Forced update..., November 13, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
Right now I am giving this one star because I have not downloaded the software for the basic reason that QB has not made any updates that increase productivity. I felt the same about their 2012 version.

I held out on the 2012 version until they FORCED the update because they would not provide the payroll service to past versions. I am very disappointed QB "strong arms" their customers into new versions/upgrades when the versions/upgrades provide no new help/ease to the customer...other than what they think looks pretty.

I currently manage two multimillion dollar non-profit companies with QB and not having the option to have a different color scheme for the two companies is ridiculous. How can something so simple be taken away when you have made no other REAL improvements.

AGAIN, I will not purchase the new version until QB "strong arms" me into it by no longer providing updates for the 2012 version I have.

If a competitor ever comes out with a software that I feel will provide the productivity I am looking for, QB will be nothing but a memory to me and my companies.

QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION]
QuickBooks Pro 2013 [OLD VERSION] by Intuit, Inc. (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)
$299.88