Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Quicken 2005 Premier Home & Business [Old Version]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 1, 2004
I have purchased annual upgrades of Quicken since the earliest releases.

This year, they have discontinued QIF import support. Fine. Most banks provide transaction data in OFX format. But Quicken has eliminated transaction imports altogether... unless you bank pays Intuit a fee.

I have lost countless hours of effort since my upgrade. Back-migration is not possible, and Intuit is unwilling to provide suitable tools.

I am leaving Intuit Quicken and Turbotax forever. I suggest you stay away also
0Comment|165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2004
I am a long time user of both Quicken and QuickBooks (since the mid 90's). I run both applications on the same PC (currently a Pentium 4 2.0 GHz with 512 MB of memory). Through the years I have upgraded both applications each year as the new versions come out. This time I upgraded my Quicken 2004 Premier Home & Business to the 2005 version accepting all the defaults of the installation program. Quicken 2005 opened and worked fine after the install. However, QuickBooks Basic 2004 would not open anymore, giving error codes and transmitting reports to Intuit. Attempting to find assistance on Intuit's web site yielded no results, phone support is only on a pay per call basis and email to the company support site via their web site did not provide any response. Quicken is an OK product but any product that breaks another during installation, especially a sister product, and one as financially vital as QuickBooks is to a business and then have the company fail to provide any support is totally unacceptable.
0Comment|222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2004
I bought this product mostly to manage my portfolio. I have never worked with a more poorly designed product. It was absolutely unbelievable.

I installed it, spent two days populating it with data, spent three days trying to figure out why it kept pulling down the wrong quote prices; why I couldn't get it to properly record complex dividend transactions; why it kept telling me that there was an error updating my online portfolio; etc. Finally I spent five beautiful minutes uninstalling this joke of a product. I just wish it wasn't too late to return it. Oh, and you get to be constantly prompted by ads even though you just spent $90 with them.

Save your money -- this product is garbage, has always been garbage, and will likely always be garbage. I hope they go out of business.
on December 30, 2004
I have been Quicken user since 1999, and recently upgraded to Q2005 H&B, even though I was not going to use the business features. I found it a worst product, poorly designed, with lots of garbage, and very slow..... takes forever to load. QIF support (except for credit card accts) is removed, and OFX doesnt work form some of my accounts (even though the banks support it, there are some problems in the software which renders it useless). The in built browser is very poor and useless, so u have to either use Firefox or IE when lookign at ur online acct... I have just used this new version for about 2 weeks and already found so many issues, that I am planning to throw it. Also suggest anyone planning to upgrade to stay away from this one....
on December 11, 2004
I purchased this as a tool to track my consulting business revenue and expenses, particularly to track expenses for income taxes. It's useless.

This application's far too many features are arranged in an unintuitive and illogical format. For example, the Vehicle Mileage Tracker (which I would use frequently) shares a pull-down menu with occasional use tools (e.g., a business plan creator and a guide to starting a small business) as well as plenty of items that link to opportunities to buy other Intuit products. Worse, while main features are buried away, ads for QuickBooks, a Quicken MasterCard and Quicken BillPay prominently and unalterably litter the screen. The features I need do not share data; entering the simplest transactions is an unwieldy chore.

I have not tried and cannot comment on the usefulness of the program's investment and tax planning tools. However, I consider this application terrible as a business management tool. Intuit should be ashamed.
on January 6, 2005
Pity the poor unsupecting user who "upgrades" to this bloated pile of trash. The already shaky download system in 2004 (all the way back to 2001, for that matter) has been totally destroyed by Intuit's discontinuation of the QIF file. I spent hours trying to get my transactions to download with no luck. After many reinstallations (even purging my system registry of anything Quicken) I threw in the towel and went back to 2004. Not for long though, MS Money is in the mail...
on December 6, 2004
Quicken used to provide a quick way to manage your finances - hence the name. Definitely part of that is to provide an easy and reliable way to download transactions from ALL banks and credit unions.

Well, they really outdid themselves here. I upgraded from Quicken 2002 to Quicken Premier 2005 Home & Business.

As others have noted, Intuit did away with QIF import for checking and savings accounts and is planning to get rid of QIF for credit cards as well.

I happen to use credit unions because they offer reasonable rates and good service. Because they do not offer Quicken's new way of downloading transactions, Quicken help advises me TO CHANGE MY FINANCIAL INSTITUTION.

Talking about putting the buggy before the horse.

Even more troublesome is that even the Quicken credit card account does not work (the software has trouble disconnecting properly). I have not managed to download transactions from one single account out of three checking, three savings, and six credit cards.

Anyone want this @#%^&* software?
on January 22, 2005
I am a 6 year user of Quicken, QuickBooks and longer than that on TurboTax. This year I just installed Quicken 2005 and it broke the installs of Quickbooks AND TurboTax 2004. I had just installed TurboTax two weeks ago and was in the middle of doing my return. This is TOTALLY UNACCAPTABLE for a product to break the install of the company's other products. It is unbelievable. I then checked with another friend and the same thing had happened to him. I went online and then found a number of people had this problem. There is NOTHING about this on Intuit's site. Apparently they are so big they feel they can act like Microsoft now.
on January 21, 2005
I have been a user of Quicken for more than ten years, and this is the messiest upgrade I have ever seen. Surely, they have worked on the "looks" of it, although something could be said about how practical it is to use, but it's the FUNCTIONALITY that really leaves you stunned! Example: you use the calendar feature to help you remember of payments due, so you schedule payments. First of all, it does not remind you on time, causing you to be overdue (never happened before), then it reposts the same transactions, causing you (if you don't do the job manually) to send double payments!! If you check their support site, you will find out that it also causes duplicate records in your accounts, which (get this!) in a video you are shown how you can go back to correct, one transaction at a time! Much faster, and less messy to do it by hand. I am really sorry to say this, because I have been a die-hard Quicken user for many years, but this is really bad news!
on January 23, 2005
I have been a Quicken user for about 10 years. This upgrade is the worst yet. The upgrade procedure destroyed my Turbotax installation. The same bugs are still there and downloading from many institutions doesn't work any more. The business features are basically useless. You can't even put a description column in an invoice.