2,493
Platform for Display: PC DiscChange
Price:$45.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 4, 2013
Platform for Display: PC Disc
I've been a Quicken user for 23 years (since 1990). I started out upgrading every year, but after a few less-than-great versions I became more selective about buying upgrades. My Quicken 2010 Deluxe was almost to end-of-life (with regard to transaction downloads), so I had to decide whether to purchase the new 2013 version, or perhaps find a 2012 copy. Reading all the negative reviews here on Amazon initially scared me off 2013, but as I monitored reviews across the Internet it appeared to be getting better. I put in my Christmas gift request for 2013 Deluxe, and am happy to report that my transition from Q10 to Q13 has been very smooth. The new version automatically uninstalled my Q10, installed Q13, and updated it with all the patches (release 10). I had almost 200,000 entries that converted without any issue, and all my stock history came across cleanly as well. I was concerned they'd changed the user interface dramatically between 2010 and 2013, but I was able to navigate without problems as soon as the new version opened. I created my Quicken mobile CLOUD ID from within the PC software, specified the subset of accounts I wanted to access from my iPad, and waited as it synched the necessary info to the cloud. With the iPad app installed, I was able to review my information without any problems. I haven't used it long enough to say with certainty there aren't any remaining issues, but it appears all of the issues that led to 1-star reviews early on have been addressed. Any of you on 2010 that are looking at 2013 and wondering if it will be okay, I can report that I'm a happy upgrade customer.
3535 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2012
Platform for Display: PC DownloadVerified Purchase
I have been using quicken now for a very very long time. Every year I diligently upgrade to the next release. I always puchase the deluxe version. Overall I have been very pleased witht the product. This specfic release is defiitely not ready for the general public and misleading. I purchased the product today specifically for the mobile functionality as most other consumers did. I was expecting everything to go smoothly. After installing it and then it going through the conversion of my 2012 data i was ready to test the cloud syncing functionality. This did not go well. It looked as though it was working and completed. The only alert/error I got was "create category" and a little yellow triangle. I then downloaded and installed the ipad app. When I open that app, there is nothing there so obviously my deakto app is not syncing with the cloud. I decided to google this error and found all the other uaers having the same issue. I then contacted intuit support online chat. The support person directed me to several support docs explaining this issue and some error trapping. He said that they are aware of the issue and do not have a fix or a timeframe for the fix. These docs basically had me turn on specific debugging flags and perform some error trapping along ith a screen shot of the actual error. I have been in IT support now for 22 years and I doubt many users could have gone through all of this troubleshooting/steps to try to trap the error. I then emailed intuit all of these files and was told I shold hear somethng soon. He did say i had 60 days to get my refund if I was not satisfied with the product. I will wait a week to her something and then I may get my money back. The problem I have with them is that they should be up front and say that this feature is not working yet or pull the product until it is resolved. I would tell all the consumers to wait to purchase this item.
122122 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hi Kevin,
Thank you again for providing feedback about the mobile app and your support experience here-it has been extremely helpful for us in identifying and fixing some of these issues, in particular, the "create category" error. Again, we apologize for the issues you experienced. We know this has caused problems in using Quicken 2013 itself, and we are happy to announce that we've released a product and server update that should resolve the majority of issues some users are experiencing. To download this update, you can perform a One Step Update and then download the patch release, or download the "mondo" patch here: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/go/GEN82798

We still have a small number of unique issues that we are tracking down, and we will provide more information as soon as fixes for these are validated--for details on these issues, and updated information on how to fix your issues, visit this updated FAQ http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/go/INF21487

If you find that the updates have changed or improved your experience, please help us and other users by sharing your feedback here-the more we hear from you, the better we can focus on updates that will give everyone a best-in-class experience.

on October 15, 2012
Platform for Display: PC Download
I was perfectly happy with Quicken 2012 but when I saw that 2013 had an iPad app I had to take the plunge. Throughout my day, I spend a lot of pocket cash that I often forget about, and the idea of being able to enter transactions directly on my iPad and then sync them when I got home was *very* appealing to me since I'd often end a month with a few hundred dollars in "pocket cash" when my wallet only had $20 in it.

However, the cloud experience just flat out does not work. I added all of my accounts, but when I log into the iPad App it tells me to go to my computer and add the accounts. I've tried cloud sync several times. After about 5 minutes, a window pops up that "Quicken has stopped responding" with options to close the program or continue waiting. I picked "Continue" then took my dogs for a walk, only to return 20 minutes later to the same message and I have a *VERY* fast Internet connection (it took about 1 minute to download the Quicken program itself).

After doing some research on the web, I saw that a lot of users were not only having trouble with the iPad app, but were LOSING DATA. This thought terrifies me, so I temporarily turned off cloud sync.

As for the rest of the app, nothing really new and exciting. It does what Quicken is supposed to do.

I'm giving it two stars because the basic app itself is functional, but I feel Intuit has really misled the consumer into upgrading with the idea of a cloud-based iPad app when this app isn't working properly.
on October 15, 2012
Platform for Display: PC Download
DO NOT purchase this version of Quicken. Wait at least another 6 months to see if Intuit has corrected the extremely shoddy work evident in this upgrade. Or buy something else. I have been a Quicken user for about 15 years, at least. Over the past 4-5 years, the annual Quicken updates have been pretty sparse in terms of enhancements. As a result, I haven't been upgrading every year, though I did eventually upgrade to Quicken 2011. I was REALLY looking forward to Quicken 2013 when I saw Intuit finally added mobile functionality. Unfortunately, the mobile functionality simply does not work. Despite repeated attempts, I get continual errors when I synchronize. And when some accounts eventually do synchronize, (I've never gotten all of them to do so successfully), all the category information is missing. Every transaction says "Uncategorized" whereas in the desktop version, they are all categorized properly. This could be because of the mobile sync errors I get. However, regardless of the reason, it should work as advertised and this product flatly does not. Quicken 2013 also seems to have taken a big step backward in its ability to convert data from previous versions of Quicken. All the upgrades I've executed previously went as expected, very smooth. But with Quicken 2013, something is very wrong. Though the conversion of my Quicken 2011 file appears to have completed successfully, the first time I update my checking accounts via online access - or if I try the basic reconcile feature - all my balances are way out of whack. Split transactions, most notably paychecks and mortgages, suddenly double. Balances show as 10-15 times their correct amounts. It's truly mind-boggling. For clarity, the version of Quicken 2013 I am using is current through R4.Customer service for Quicken is also woefully inept. They use an offshore model that pretty much sticks to scripts, which is pretty useless. All they do is anger me even more. Frankly it scares me to death to divulge to them any aspect of my personal transactions. I have been a Senior IT Project Manager and Application Development Manager at a couple of major banking and insurance companies for most of my working life. If one of my development projects had turned out a project for customers full of so many bugs and shoddy programming as this, I would no longer be employed. I have participated in the preparation and execution of numerous QA/System Testing Plans as well as UAT (User Acceptance Testing) plans. Whatever process Intuit used to put together their plan, if indeed they even had one, was woefully inadequate. It strikes me that Intuit realized they were falling way behind current technologies and rushed Quicken 2013 to market with the "Mobile" branding all over it, rather than try to put together a sound product. So don't make the same mistake I did and buy this version now. I am giving their customer support team another couple of days to figure out and resolve my problem before I just return my copy and go back to Quicken 2011. I refuse to be an unpaid member of Intuit's testing team, which is really what is happening here. In my experience, testing - regardless of the label attached to it - is done by the company producing the product. It is not conducted by that company's customers. If I do have to revert to Quicken 2011 I will likely then start looking for some other product that can provide me what I need, since Intuit now has a major credibility issue with me. If Intuit is looking for a way to exit the consumer market and focus on commercial business opportunities, Quicken 2013 is certainly a good step in that direction.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 12, 2012
Platform for Display: PC Download
I just got Quicken 2013 a few days ago and am so very sorry I ever did!!!! I have used Quicken for my personal financial record-keeping for over a decade, and have generally been pleased with how it worked and helped to manage my numerous accounts. I noticed that the new version of Quicken 2013 offered a mobile phone app and thought that addition made a lot of sense, so I purchased and installed it a few days ago. I should have known something was very wrong when there was a Quicken 2013 update just a few days after it went on sale. Well, it has been problem after problem ever since. Quicken should have debugged this version before they put it on the market!!
I knew something was very wrong when I couldn't download my account transactions through the One Step Summary anymore. When I "upgraded" to Quicken 2013 from Quicken 2012 it changed all my settings such that I had to deactivate and then re-activate each of my accounts all over again -- a process that took hours! And calling the Quicken help line was no help at all -- I waited on hold for 40 minutes before anyone actually came on the phone with me, and at that point they tried telling me that Quicken 2013 has NO PROBLEMS! Seriously?? The CSR's attitude was just insulting!
I don't know if Quicken has become an arrogant company over the years based on their market share, or whether they have simply become incompetent, but I refuse to use any Quicken product from this point on!
Anyone considering purchasing Quicken 2013 should do so with extreme caution!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 20, 2012
Platform for Display: PC Download
This is my first ever review of a product on Amazon. Sadly, I am not moved to reviewing due to an experience with an amazing product, I am furious over a product that should never have been released for sale.

I have been with Quicken since Quicken 2006. I've been very happy and always felt that Quicken is a great product. Quicken gave me a technological outlet for my meticulous financial record keeping. In all the years I've been using the software, I've never had a problem with numbers except due to an error on my part. Then I purchased Quicken 2013. Tonight was the second time that I've had to revert to a backup copy of my data due to a sync with their "cloud" service causing my numbers to change.

To give you an idea of the terror that this instills within me (and you I hope), I watched as my checking account total changed by over $10. This total changed after a sync only with the mobile service (I performed a sync with my financial institutions individually and separately from the mobile sync). I looked at my screen dumbfounded with how I gained $10 when I made NO changes via the mobile app on my iPhone. I looked through all of the cleared transactions, but I couldn't find anything that had changed. I don't even use the app to enter transactions, all I wanted was a snapshot of the data from my desktop. I work in Quicken everyday, so before I leave for the day I have all the latest data for my accounts and budgets on my desktop. I take that data on my phone, use it as a guide during the day, then update it on my PC that evening. Somehow, this resulted in a $10 discrepancy. Also note that as I stated above, this is the second time this happened since I bought Quicken 2013 on 10/05/12.

I have nothing to say regarding any other aspect of Quicken 2013. I upgraded solely to have the mobile app and that is broken to the point of uselessness. Just before starting this review, I went into Quicken and deleted my "cloud" data. I also deleted the app from my iPhone. This "feature" is a threat to your finances. When I purchased the software, they were at Release 1. In just a few weeks, they are up to Release 5. I would venture a guess that we are in the QA phase of development. Most businesses pay workers to perform QA on their software. With Intuit, you pay them to QA their software.

------ Update: 12/06/12 ------

Mark and Christopher, I'm glad you both found the review useful. Christopher, in response to your question about a replacement for Quicken, the first thought that came to my mind was "Quicken 2011". After thinking about it for a bit, I realize my decision was based on the feeling that 2011 gave me the most value for my money. I purchased 2011 similar to 2013, very shortly after it was released. I don't recall having any issues with the software. Without going off on a tangent, I think the fair thing for me to do is to take into consideration the other aspects of the Quicken 2013 software.

The budgeting aspect changed a bit from previous versions. I'm still acclimating to that, but it seems more flexible and this could potentially be more useful to people. Other than that aspect and the mobile features, just about everything in 2013 is functioning the same way the 2011 did. This is a good thing in my mind, as I mentioned above I was very satisfied with Quicken 2011.

Having made that statement, I think it's reasonable to say that if this is the first version of Quicken you are purchasing, then you are getting the same software from the previous versions and that is good. If you are upgrading for the cloud features, my advice is to hold off a little while longer on that. On 11/30 another patch was released which noted a few more fixes for some bugs in the Quicken Cloud aspect of the software. I still don't think that feature is ready for prime-time.

As for an alternative software package, perhaps something that is very "cloud ready", you could take a look at mint.com. I've never used it personally but I've seen several blogs rave about it. I've never felt the desire to go to mint as I believed that the features would be available in Quicken before long. Mint is owned by Intuit, so that proves Intuit is familiar with and capable of doing cloud based money management well. My hope is that any more steps that Intuit takes in the direction of the cloud will be a bit more refined prior to releasing to the public.

I've also decided to increase my rating to two stars. Should the mobile feature reach bullet-proof levels, I'll increase my rating to three stars. As it stands, I still don't see where I've gotten my money's worth out of the $60 upgrade and based on the hassles with the bugs in the mobile feature, I don't see any way that Quicken 2013 could attain higher than 3 stars in my mind.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 12, 2012
Platform for Display: PC Download
I've been using Quicken since 1992 and this by far is the worst product they've produced. I think what's more disappointing is the lack of good customer support. Bad customer support has been a standard at Quicken for many years now, so don't expect that to change. Very disappointed in this version. Got it the first day, downloaded it but had nothing but problems. I eventually got it installed and thought it was good to go. Then I found some of reports from the last version now do not work. Called tech support and they gave me what seemed like bad advice....uninstall Q13, reinstall Q12, fix the data file, reinstall Q13 etc. From everything I've been reading in the Forums not even the R3 release took care of the problems. Geez, I think I'll wait a few days then try to get back to using Q12. I just can't afford to have problem with my finances. Many people are reporting issues with the Syncing with missing transactions, wrong info etc. SO STAY AWAY FROM THAT!

All in all, a very disappointing experience. I expected to download the new software and get right to work where I left off. I didn't expect spending hours to get it to work and countless more hours trying figure how to get back to where I was before this disaster.

Quicken should also invest in getting competent customer support personnel who treat the customers courteously , understand what they are asking and speak in a language and tone customers can clearly understand. In the future if you want to consider Quicken software, probably would be a good idea to wait six months before you buy which gives them a chance to fix everything. When the products work, they are quite good. I was so excited about mobile syncing I bought Q13 right away....Never again!
on October 8, 2012
Platform for Display: PC Disc
I spent $70 dollars at another store today, to drive 200+ miles home to find out the main selling point for this upgrade does not work. Then find out they knew about the problem in beta testing and did nothing to fix it. VERY BAD DON'T BUY IT
Hi Darrin,
Thank you again for providing feedback about the mobile app here. Again, we apologize for the issues you experienced. We are happy to announce that we've released a product and server update that should resolve the majority of issues some users are experiencing. To download this update, you can perform a One Step Update and then download the patch release, or download the "mondo" patch here: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/go/GEN82798

If you find that the updates have changed or improved your experience, please help us and other users by sharing your feedback here-the more we hear from you, the better we can focus on updates that will give you a best-in-class experience.

on October 7, 2012
Platform for Display: PC Download
I upgraded from Quicken 2010 because of the touted "cloud" capability of quicken 2013. So far the cloud is more like flatulence...It won't sync with ANY of my accounts...Quicken's website claims that it is a "known issue"...KOWN ISSUE???? REALLY????? NO KIDDING!!!! So Intuit would rather release some more shovelware on schedule rather than actually worry about whether or not it works....PATHETIC!!!!! I AM SO FURIOUS RIGHT NOW... The touted capability was the ONLY reason I upgraded. PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE until they have the decency to fix it. If you choose to ignore my plea you only have yourself to blame. Don't look just at these reviews...google them all and you will find a growing and ANGRY chorus.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hi heliskier,
Thank you again for providing feedback about your mobile here--again, we apologize for the issues you experienced. In reality, the product was thoroughly tested, but unfortunately some last-minute backend system changes resulted in an inexcusably poor experience for you with the mobile app. We know this has caused problems in using Quicken 2013 itself, but we are happy to announce that we've released a product and server update that should resolve the majority of issues some users are experiencing. To download this update, you can perform a One Step Update and then download the patch release, or download the "mondo" patch here: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/go/GEN82798

on October 16, 2012
Platform for Display: PC DownloadVerified Purchase
I have used Quicken for 15 years.
This is the WORST upgrade in 15 years. This Product has Bugs,

I wrote on Intuit Community Blog:
" Tried opening up a download from Bank of America, and It asked me to either create a new account or download to other accounts not related to Bank of America, and it does not even list my existing B of A accounts as an option. I pressed cancell and it downloaded anyway into ANOTHER account and made a big mess. I had to go back to a previous back up. "
Also the Loan Account has been shrunk to where the transactions can only be viewed two at a time, and if the loan is paid...it will make your transactions dissapear.
What is going on with Intuit?Quicken Deluxe 2013 [Download]
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...