4.0 out of 5 stars Minor Upgrade from Quicken 2010
Published on October 20, 2010 by Steve Kowal

1.0 out of 5 stars Best available or bad joke?
(running this product on Windows 7 home premium, 64 bit edition)

I have been using Quicken 2008 Deluxe for the past 3 years.

Published on October 23, 2010 by GoVoltronForce

4.0 out of 5 stars Minor Upgrade from Quicken 2010, October 20, 2010
Steve Kowal (Louisville, CO) - See all my reviews
I was not a beta tester and was not "encouraged" to write a glowing review by Intuit. This review only speaks to the question of whether this is a worthwhile upgrade from the 2010 version. The 2011 version contains very few new features when compared to the 2010 version. Whether you find these new features worth the upgrade price is debatable. The quicken site is a bit misleading in their "new features" list since many of the items they mention were already in the 2010 version. As with past Quicken upgrades, they largely give you MORE of a existing feature, and not much in the way of new features. So, for example, MORE banks are supported for direct connect. MORE transactions can be automatically categorized since auto-categorization already existed. So in these cases, if your banks are already supported and you don't use auto-categorization, then these enhancements are irrelevant. So for those thinking of upgrading from 2010, here's the list of only NEW features in the 2011 version:

- All Transactions register: This could be handy if you use many accounts and want to enter, maintain and view your transactions in one place. However, if you download transactions from your banking and investment institutions, the download window does not show up when you are in this mode, so you will be forced to continue using the individual account registers anyway.

- Register customization: You can decide which columns appear in each individual register. Transaction Notes can now be shown/edited as a column instead of treating them like an attachment.

- Attachment Encryption: I'm fairly certain this wasn't in the prior version. I guess you can now password protect attachments.

- The usual "Where's Waldo" changes to the program: They've moved menu items and eliminated speed button lists in registers. I imagine they did this to make the interface "look" simpler/cleaner, but now you have to rummage through the menus to find them. So, for example, the "Live Community" speed button was eliminated; It is now found as a "Help" menu item. Also, each account's "Overview" speed button has been eliminated; You now find that in the "Account Actions" menu. Since it is likely that the eliminated speed buttons were rarely needed by most users, the changes will be well received.

That's it! Is it worth the upgrade? You decide.

1.0 out of 5 stars Best available or bad joke?, October 23, 2010
(running this product on Windows 7 home premium, 64 bit edition)

I have been using Quicken 2008 Deluxe for the past 3 years.

The process of sunsetting older versions is annoying, but ultimately necessary I believe. This allows the product staff to focus on making new versions better vs. endless patching of legacy products. I think staying current with this type of application is particularly important since it holds so much of your personal financial data. You really do want the latest so that encryption standards and security settings are at their maximum. Especially if you use the one step update with Quicken and the password vault.

A note on upgrading from previous versions: Make sure you have the current backup file where you can find it. The disc walks you through uninstalling the old version, converting your old data to the new version standard, and ultimately installing the 2011 version. One way overdue update is consolidating the save/backup file into a single file, vs. 3 with 2008!

The update did take awhile, it immediately downloaded patches for the newer version, which seemed to take longer than I would've thought. It also converted all the old transactions/downloads from the old data, which took awhile as well. I've been using Quicken since 2001, so I had plenty of data for it to convert.

But overall, no weird error messages or restarting, it just worked. One major gripe with 2008 was how bug-ridden the one step update process was. I managed to finally get it to work in terms of doing my IRA accounts, but always had to download transactions manually for other accounts. The 2008 software actually crashed my Windows 7 PC anytime I tried to add my Scottrade brokerage account, even after starting over with a fresh install of Quicken. Ridiculous!

So the one step update stuff has been completely revamped. I was able to add accounts like an obscure online money market account I had, as well as my checking accounts, and my Scottrade account, IRA accounts, all without crashing my machine, how quaint!

The software has apparently tried to model some aspects of Mint.com since Intuit bought them out. But if you've used Quicken before, this is very much the same software, and you will immediately know the basics of how to do everything. They didn't hide any menus/buttons, etc.

While the software is good minus the online component, I can't in good conscience give it a good or mediocre rating for the following reasons:

1. Support is non-existent. Do not bother calling because you will be routed to India where a non native English speaker will read off a laundry list script of what to do for general problems which will likely not correlate at all with the issue you may be having. You will waste your time calling these guys, and end up extremely frustrated since they will have no clue what you are talking about or why you called. This software is really better for somewhat tech oriented people who can search forums, etc. for the answers they need.

2. While impressed with the updates I've seen on 2011, Intuit has created an environment where bug fixes are miraculous and rare. They do not support their products in any meaningful way in terms of bug fixes. Applications from a software giant such as Intuit should be patched before the average user even recognizes a problem. As I pointed out previously, I've been waiting for 3 years for the "one step update" bugs to be patched. So while they say they support each product for 3 years, that really is a fabrication. Older versions are left high and dry once the subsequent version is released. This is bad customer care/support.

In other words, you should really know what you're getting into with this app. Most people would assume they could just call them up and have small problems fixed quickly and efficiently. From personal experience, when problems do arise, it can be maddening.

Unfortunately, there just isn't anything better that has the widespread use that Quicken enjoys which leads to enhanced compatibility with online services due to its sheer popularity. When you consider how long Quicken has been in the marketplace, this should be a "mature" product, much like Windows 7 or OS X, as a comparison. The main reason for this software to exist is the online integration with accounts. Sadly, the online stuff STILL doesn't work reliably, or atleast in a manner that makes any sense.

10/25/2010 update: I did decide to try adding my standard checking accounts to the One Step Update. This got a little wonky on me and actually broke my ability to download transactions manually, in addition to not adding the accounts correctly to begin with. I started getting the infamous OL 221-a error message. The error message actually directed me to Intuit's website (via an embedded link) to insure that my financial institution was supported. It had a search box and link driven letters to hop right to your institution. I clicked S for Suntrust and it told me my institution was currently not supported. After further exploring their list of "all financial institutions," I discovered that the list was completely empty. Again, this is very typical of Intuit and the support of their products. Even their own support site is quite useless.

I did remedy the issue by attempting the process again. If you have been manually d/l'ing transactions previously and want to now add the account to one step update, you will come across an option to "link to current quicken account." There was also a weird step where it requested me to setup another password to my bank; of which it completely ignored for future logins, even when it came time to add the password to the password vault, it still only accepted my old one.

10/27/2010 update: The one step update process is "missing' certain transactions on download. I am still receiving OL-221-a errors when trying to manually download like I always have since 2001. There is actually no way to directly contact Intuit by phone anymore. You fill out an online form, then wait for a call. A non English speaking rep called, whom I could barely understand, about 45 minutes later. She re-stated the problem I had outlined in the submission form and concluded with "have you upgraded to 2011 yet?" I responded yes.

This was funny and scary all at the same time to me since the form won't let you type anything in until you select which product you're using. I had selected Quicken 2011. At this point, she says "I call you back in one minute," and hangs up. That was 4 hours ago. As much as it pains me, I am now looking for new financial software after almost 10 years with Quicken. This company somehow manages to make money in spite of itself...mostly due to idiots like me who feel held captive and keep buying their software.

10/28/2010 update: It's now been over 24 hours since I contacted them for help. ;) They guarantee they'll contact you within 1 business hour from your request. This was true, but only to ask a question that could've been answered by reading the initial request, had the rep been paying attention. I am smiling right now just because the situation is so laughably bad. You could say that I'm an exception and that normally their support is stellar...but you'd be wrong.

11/2/2010 update: Still no one has attempted to contact me to help me solve my problem. I forgive them, though. I'm sure they're currently "overwhelmed" by support requests for their buggy, garbage program. I'm fairly certain that if I could talk to someone at Intuit support, I would equate it to bashing my head into my bedroom drywall for 90 minutes, so no big loss there.

A few tips I can offer for trouble shooting "one step update" or manually downloading transactions from your financial institution, for the new initiates out there:

1. Internet Explorer 8: Quicken defaults to Internet Explorer for web page viewing and basically anything else it needs done in terms of going online. Even though I am an avid Firefox/Chrome user, I recommend using IE 8 for Quicken. In Windows 7, IE 8 will prompt you for changes to inprivate filtering as well as firewall exceptions. In 1 situation, I used IE 8 for a manual download, it prompted a change in my "advanced firewall settings" under Windows 7, and voila! I could now use Firefox for downloading transactions.

2. Permissions, especially in Vista or Win 7: If you run your "everyday login" as a non-admin access user for security purposes as do many security conscious users, make sure the instance of whatever browser you are using also has the same permissions. For example, do not run an instance of Firefox as admin, but be running Quicken as a lower level user. This will break manual downloads really quick. Simplified, run your browser in the same permission level as whatever Quicken is running in. If you don't know what the hell I am talking about, then you are likely running your default logon as admin, and you will never have an issue since all of your apps automatically have administrative privileges.

Those are a couple things that can break one step update. Also, changes to your security settings, found under Tools----> Options in IE 8, can affect Quicken online services. The take home is it doesn't matter if you ever even bootup Internet Explorer, Quicken is so entangled with it that you have to pay attention to it. I found it best to take security settings all the way down to medium, see if that fixes your problem, and if it does, you can go back up from there in terms of adding security options one by one.

Of course this information (in terms of specific settings for IE) is extremely difficult to come by for the different versions, and don't expect Intuit to help you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, October 17, 2010
This review is from: Quicken Home & Business 2011 [Download] [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
This purchase was a huge disappointment. The software is new and there were only nine reviews, but they were all extremely positive, so I felt confident taking the plunge. I was so excited in fact, that I paid a premium to download rather than wait for UPS. In retrospect, I should have paid more attention to the eerie similarity between the reviews, and in fact they were all from beta testers (shills?) perhaps working off the same talking points. The new version was supposed to run faster and work with twice the number of financial institutions. But this is not what I experienced. I was fairly content with Home and Business 2008. The only reason I downloaded 2011 is because I want to access certain accounts that 2008 cannot, such as my 401K with ADP, my kids 529's with New York State, and a savings/loan account with Sallie Mae. Turns out none of these accounts are accessible with 2011! It was a complete waste and it actually runs slower than 2008. Don't be snookered like me, save your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buggy, Buggy, Buggy, January 7, 2011
Peter W. Kent (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't want to buy this, I'll admit, but the banks have been dropping MS Money support, so I have no option but to switch; the only software the banks now use is Quicken.

I wasn't looking forward to it, because I've worked with Intuit products before ... various versions of Quickbooks. Admittedly it was ten years ago, but I can't say I was impressed--it was pretty buggy stuff, with terrible usability--so I wasn't looking forward to the change.

The initial import of my data actually went surprisingly well. Not perfect, though. If you have any long memos on transactions, they will be truncated... you're going to lose part of them. (30 years ago, when I first got involved in software development, one of the best programmers I've ever known gave me a fantastic rule of thumb; you always make any input field you create far larger than you imagine anyone really needs ... then double it. Intuit's programmer's never got that memo.)

This evening, though, I've run into bug, after bug, after bug. This software is horrible. At this moment I've been on Intuit support chat for about two hours trying to get bill pay (through Wells Fargo) working. At this very moment I have a Wells Fargo account that appears to have Bill Pay turned on, even though it does not have online access turned on, and the software will not let me turn on online access. It's a long story, I won't bore you with the details, but it's a Quicken bug that the support people can't figure out.

Here's an example of another bug/usability problem I found earlier. I want to send a payment to someone I've sent 50 payments to already, via Bill Pay (a moot point, considering I can't get Bill Pay turned on, but let's assume for the moment Bill Pay was working). When I try to create an entry in my account and select Send Online Payment, Quicken asks me for the guy's address. The address was in Microsoft Money before I imported, and in fact the address was imported into Quicken. Oh, but wait a minute, that address is associated with this payee, but this isn't an *online* payee. No, they are a different class of payee. So I have to create a new payee for everyone I want to send payments to ... that's right, there's no way to say "this payee is an online payee now," you actually have to create a new payee entry. Wow, that makes sense. Clearly Intuit's programmers weren't thinking, this is an obvious mistake with the architecture of the system; having two separate classes of payee makes no sense whatsover!

Anyway, just got a message from tech support on the chat system ... "It seems that there is some damaged (sic) with this account that is why you are not able to activate it. We need to create a new account and activate that account for the online services" Perhaps you'll enjoy this:

----
Support: You can copy all of your data from old account to new account.
Support: In Quicken, we can transfer data from one account to another in the same data file.
Me: okay
Me: But what about transfers between accounts, will they still be there?
Support: You need to manually enter those transfer transactions.
Me: No, that doesn't make sense, I have hundreds of them!
----

Yeah, great ... I think I'll go back and reimport and start over.

What really worries me is that now Intuit has a monopoly on this type of software, they can do an even worse job than they've done so far with their buggy, buggy, software.

Hey, Amazon, why can't I give this product 0 stars?

5.0 out of 5 stars Quicken 2011 is a downgrade from 2010 - **UPDATED**, October 24, 2010
** Updated below 12/2/2010 **

I've been using Quicken since the DOS days, have been a software analyst working with corporate ERP software, been around the software block a bit in my day. I had great expectations for Quicken 2011, after reading some of the glowing reviews from alleged beta testers, touting the "best Quicken ever". I'm not sure I understand the excitement. One feature that was pretty informative was the Cash Flow panel, which showed you how much you took in, how much you spent, and a bottom line for the month. GONE! They took the most useful feature out of the product. I remember when 2010 was being hyped, they showed this new Cash Flow panel with the IN/OUT/REMAINING concept, and I loved it. So, instead of perhaps tweaking any minor issues they may have had with it, they chose to just throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm utterly amazed. So, I figure, if they got rid of such a useful baseline measure of your overall finances, they must have introduced something newer and better, right? Nope. Nothing. They have an applet that you can add to your home page that shows your spending for the period. Great, I thought, now let me find the applet that shows my income for the period, and that will serve me almost as well as the 2010 solution. Gee, doesn't seem to exist. What in Heaven's name is Intuit thinking? For anyone using 2010, trying to decide whether to upgrade to 2011? Trust me, skip it. This is the obvious result of having absolutely no other commercial competitor in your market. For any software geniuses out there, now would be a great time to throw a product together and compete with Quicken. And please, give me a way to see my overall Cash Flow in an easy to understand, management level graph, on a single page.

12/2/2010 update:
I just downloaded and installed the R4 update. The Intuit folks restored the In/Out/Remaining functionality, via a custom view that you can add to your home page. It didn't automatically show up for me, I had to customize my home page and add it. That makes a big difference to me, as it's a good general barometer of my overall monthly income and spending, in basically a snapshot view. Given Intuit's response to customer calls for this feature, I am raising my rating from two stars to five stars. While there are still some enhancements I would like to see, with respect to accruals of no-interest payment promotions on credit cards, I have been using Quicken since 1992. I am very pleased that Intuit responded to customer needs and added an important enhancement to one of their maintenance updates, something I didn't expect at all from them. I no longer consider this Quicken a downgrade. It is more lateral than anything, and you wouldn't be missing much if you stayed at Quicken 2010. But it is a good overall product, and it deserves a good rating as it stands now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another step off the cliff, December 8, 2010
Steven Dale Upstill (Wellington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review addresses only the data conversion "feature" because I couldn't get to anything else. I tried to convert from Quicken for Mac 2005 to Quicken for Windows 2011, and the only word for it is "incoherent". I have 18 years of data in QfM05 in dozens of accounts. The first problem was that, rather than taking its time to digest the whole file, the Import procedure expects you to confirm the import of each account independently, without giving you an Import All option. The result is that you have to babysit the process for fifteen or twenty minutes just to confirm each account independently. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The time and annoyance really adds up if you make, as I did, half a dozen attempts to get the import process to work correctly.

But the real problem was in the results. Some accounts have no transactions at all. Other accounts are off by more than a million dollars. It became abundantly clear that the whole process was broken, so I went back for a refund. At least I don't have to spend time chasing down little problems. :-)

My feeling is that the programmers at Intuit must be really depressed, either because they have to put out such a mess of a product, or they put out a mess of a product because they're really depressed. If there was a viable alternative to Quicken I'd be all over it in a New York second, but there isn't. My only hope is that the Mint.com people fix the abomination Quicken has become.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not attempt to use for Farming Operations!!!, December 4, 2010
I have been a Quicken user since 1994 and have generally loved the product. My husband and I have a farming operation and I've always used the Deluxe version and it has met my needs in the past. Recently we've had some needs to handle a better separation between our personal expenses and business expenses. So I decided to upgrade from 2009 Deluxe to 2011 Home and Business. What a disaster!! Everything started out just fine. I installed and converted my older Quicken files and began the tedius process of specifying for each account if it was a Personal or Business account. Then I decided to check out some of the reports. None of my Business Accounts or transactions would show up in the Business Reports. I figured the Expense Categories were not correct so I began the process to correct them. So after 2 hours on a chat with Intuit, I finally find out that if you have your Expenses tied to Schedule F tax schedules, they are not considered a Business Expense. So basically, Farms are not considered Businesses, according to Intuit. Tech support tried to tell me that they follow IRS rules, but considering that Schedule F is a standard IRS form for Farm Expenses, I had a hard time swollowing that pill. So, I'm downgrading back to 2009 Deluxe and I guess I'll have to find a different financial package where Farm Operations are considered a Business. Bye Bye Quicken.

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting worse year by year, December 31, 2010
I have been using Quicken for about 20 years. I have upgraded every few years. I have found that the program just seems to get worse with each new rendition. It has become more complicated to use, has many more glitches, is harder to get accurate reports from, and runs slower. Some features I have been excited about, such as BillPay, have numerous problems that occur and take hours to clear up. One of the worst features about Quicken is that the free support is very short lived after buying the product, then it is quite expensive to get help, and often the problem is one of their own. You feel like you've been left high and dry after the purchase. Also, they don't have a fair upgrade policy anymore. I used to be able to upgrade with a reasonable discount after providing proof of purchase of a previous version. Now, they may give 10 % if you make the effort to push it. If you've never used Quicken and decide to buy it, I suggest you get the manual (or an aftermarket guide) and read it asap, and try to get Quicken set up asap after buying it, then use the free support before it expires to work out problems. If you set it up this way you can be relatively happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great... except for the mistakes, October 26, 2010
This is my first experience with Quicken, and I have the Home and Business 2011 version.

(Oct 31 Update): I am downgrading my review, as I continue to get errors, and I just noticed all of the 5 star reviews are from Quicken beta testers! Quicken stacking the deck, it seems to me.

I am just getting into it, so I may change my opinion later, but right off the bat there were some serious problems with getting information from my banks. One of my accounts reported that I had a negative balance, which freaked me out until I went the the bank site and found out it was in error.

When I contacted Intuit, the agent told me how to manually fix it - which was fine - but I had received no error or warning during the bank transmission. I wanted to report this as a bug, so I could get a fix later. No chance. They didn't even want to know which institution communication was in error. The agent told me the following:

1. You should not trust the communication with your bank. I guess this means that after I do the updates I have to go to each of my bank sites and double check.
2. If there are upgrades/fixes I will have to buy a new version to get them.

This severely limits the usefulness of this package, and I cannot have confidence in the results.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Recommended, October 22, 2010
Before considering buying this product I checked Quicken's support options. Incredibly, this version doesn't even show up on their support page! Also, there is no telephone support. If you e-mail them, it can take 2 days to get a response.

No thanks!