ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Kids Halloween

on January 7, 2010
My comments apply to the Amazon download version on Windows/Vista. I upgraded from Quicken Deluxe 2007.

The issues I have are in two categories:
1. The Install experience
2. The performance of the new software

I'm giving the software a one star rating because it lost some of my data, something I consider unforgivable for any software product, but especially one that keeps financial data.

After ordering the software on Amazon (super easy, as usual) you are prompted to download the software. As soon as the download starts it requests permission to install an Amazon package to manage the download. After that is done, the software is downloaded and installed.

Installation Issues:
- It deleted the previous version of Quicken without my permission!
- It installed a replacement for the Google Desktop Toolbar.
- After that new toolbar was up and running it asked after the fact if I wanted to restore the Google Toolbar.
- It started up Quicken, but the new Quicken release could not find my data!
- Worse, though an update was available, it did not prompt me to find and install it. The reason I waited a few months to buy this version was to ensure that I wasn't doing beta testing. BEWARE! DO NOT RUN THE DOWNLOADED SOFTWARE. First Find the 50+ MB upgrade and install it. I didn't and the results were not pretty.
- Ok, I groped around for the location of my data. Vista hid it pretty well, but it was there and once I found it, Quicken proceeded to convert it to the new format. No error messages were seen during the conversion.

- My initial impression of the software is that it is much slower than the 2007 software.
- The GUI has had an overhaul since 2007. Some may like it better, I'm not impressed. It seems to have the things I'm used to, but moved around a little. No big deal.
- I tried an online update to ensure it could do it. It seemed to work. At the end of this I got the first hint that there was a program update available. There was a message inviting me to update. I started the update which failed. I decided to look into that later.
- I looked at the numbers. They changed from what I had seen the day before in the 2007 product. Not good. Not a dramatic change, but something was different.
- I noticed that a credit card account balance was way off from what it should have been. Digging into that, I discovered that apparently the conversion utility had dropped a bunch of transactions!
- I tried multiple times to install the update, rebooting the computer, shutting down the virus checker, etc as suggested. I wasted an hour doing this. The update process failed over and over.
- I went to the support web site and found an article that suggested downloading and installing an update, about 58MB. I did that and the update installer reported that the upgrade had succeeded.
- I spent several hours comparing paper credit card statements to the data in Quicken. I haven't completed this process, but I have the correct balance now.

In my opinion, this release should be avoided if possible. Intuit plans to discontinue support of the 2007 product this April which will shut off on-line account updates and other features. This forced me to upgrade. I humbly suggest a change in the revenue model. Just charge a subscription fee for on-line account access and let me keep what ever version of Quicken works for me. Why drag me through upgrading every couple of years? The basic job this software does doesn't change over time. Leave it alone or at least do some basic quality assurance testing before releasing it. Remember that some of us have a lot of historical data that we care about.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2009
I am a former MS Money user and was looking forward to effortlessly importing my data files into Quicken 2010 as promised by Intuit. The reality so far is a nightmare. Before I continue I consider myself very knowledgeable in dealing with Computer and software issues. I purchased and attempted to install Quicken Premier 2010 on October 10, 2009. The software loaded without problems. When you first open the program you are given 3 options on how to proceed. I chose the option that says I want to import my data from MS Money. As soon as I selected this and clicked on the get started button, the program crashed. I closed and reopened the program, only to get to a new screen that does not show the previous choices. After various attempts to get back to the original screen failed, I opened a chat session with customer support. After a 30 minute wait, I was connected and an agent helped with an alternate method to import the Money data. The import was successful and I thought I was good to go. I closed the program. The next day I attempted to reopen the program and the system once again crashed. Numerous attempts to reopen also failed. I removed and reloaded software with the same problem. I then downloaded and used an Intuit cleaner program to remove all traces of Quicken. I also deleted some files and folders detailed on the Quicken website. After this, I was again able to install and open the program, however when I selected the option to import Money data it once again crashed. I have since been unable to reopen the program. Not wishing to remove and reinstall again, I went to the support page of Quicken to contact customer service by phone. I felt pretty good when it promised "I would be contacted within 60 minutes. Guaranteed." Now I am unaware of what the guarantee means because I have been waiting for over 9 hours without a call back. I cannot recommend this product. If I do not receive a response by tomorrow, I plan to box it up and ship it back to Intuit for a refund. I will continue to use MS Money and update my portfolio and bank accounts manually. This product, and customer service does not live up to what they claim. Unless a fix is forthcoming, I say, save your money.

Update 11/3/2009: I am revisiting my original post because of the following:

1. Customer support has been great (although it took a lot of effort on my and others part)
2. I have imported 2 mny data files now with no problem. Part of the original problem I feel was because I did not install it as the Administrator. VERY IMPORTANT.
3. After using the program for several weeks, I am getting more used to it. Just a learning curve as it is very different from Money.
So, I would say at this point, make the purchase
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2009
I picked up QP2010 locally this afternoon. (I've been running QP2009 for the past year.) There doesn't appear to be a lot of "new" features so much as GUI changes. BTW, after installing and before converting the data set, Q checks for and downloads updates. In the "About Quicken" window, QP2010 reports it's running R2. I always upgrade early if not on day one, and this is the first time I've started with a release other than R1.

One really nice interface change is that it's now possible to use the "classic" interface, and you're able to turn off both the account bar and the new "action bar." As always, we can turn off the tool bar if we wish. The "action bar" is rather like MS's "ribbon" interface but not as elaborate or as space consuming. This feature allows users to regain some vertical space.

Instead of having the usual several-file data set, all Quicken data is now packaged in the *.QDF file. Prior to upgrading from QP2009, I copied my (multi-year) 20MB file set, bringing it down to 16MB in size. After upgrading to 2010, my data file was 19.9MB. Automatic backups are no longer numbered FILENAME1 through FILENAME5 (or whatever max number you choose). They're named in the format:

Also, manual backups are saved in the format:

(As is the case with Quicken 2009, you can turn off Quicken's appending the date to the filename -- manual backups only.)

Additional backups during the same day get a -1, -2, -3, etc. appended to the end of the date. For example:

The bug where "update balance" defaults to a seemingly arbitrary date (in my case the date of my last balance update) rather than today's date, has not been fixed.

I haven't tested for other bugs, as this one is the most annoying for me. Further, as I've been able to duplicate it on two different operating systems on four different machines (and others have reported the same phenomenon), it seems Intuit could fix this!

Intuit also failed to listen to those of us asking for the return of 2007's (IIRC?) detailed category editor where we could actually see transactions linked to a given category. :-( That was a really useful feature. Now Quicken (as of Q2008 IIRC) simply reports that "if" the subcategory is in use when you delete it, its contents will be merged with the category. When I attempted to delete a category, Q warned that all subcategories would be deleted too. I don't understand why Intuit removed this very useful feature, as it was already programmed and worked very well. Now we have to run category reports before doing any major revisions to categories & subcategories. :-( I admit I don't do such reorganizing very often, but it's nice to have it when I need it!

I began using Quicken 3.0 for DOS when it first came out and have upgraded every year. The last few years I've paid full price and purchased Intuit's download. This year Intuit seems to have dropped the ball and is still selling Q2009 on its web site (as of this writing). Amazon started shipping Quicken 2010 today (at a nice discount), but no download is available yet.

Even though there are no earthshaking improvements, the improvements to the GUI are very nice. There are a few new "summary" pages which help with watching where money goes, etc. Overall, IMNSHO, Intuit has made good use of screen real estate without wasting too much space or crowding screen elements. A lot of options are customizable, so Intuit did listen to us on that count. :-) (I run my machines at 1280x1024 and 1280x800.)

Another change is that by default, cents are not shown in the Account Bar. You have to right-click and select the option to "show cents in amounts" if you want to see this detail.

This is the first year there is no MS Money. I'm sure writing the Money-to-Quicken converter was a major undertaking -- especially if it works well! The GUI improvements are very nice, and I do like QP2010. Still, I'm especially glad I paid nowhere near full price for it. Intuit says the Money-to-Quicken data converter will be available for Q2009 later in October.

During my cursory review this afternoon, I didn't find any weirdnesses, and the program runs well.

Overall, I'd say Q2010 has a streamlined user interface that will appeal to new users. Intuit listened and added customization options where seasoned users can turn off many new interface changes. Also for new users migrating from MS Money, there's a Money-Quicken data converter. As I haven't used the converter, I don't know how well it works. But it looks like Intuit has made a good, mature product easier for new users, and especially for Money users who want to switch to Quicken.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2009
I've been using MS Money since ~1998. My most recent version was 2007 and since its end of life is 2010 I figured that I would get a head start with the new Quicken version.

The good:

- The conversion of data from MS Money was surprisingly fast and easy. All of my accounts were there.
- Online access is available for more of my accounts than what I had in MS Money.
- The information is all there that you need. It works.
- I always had an issue with MS Money where when I was doing an online update it would recreate accounts a second time. I would merge the accounts manually and then most often it would happen again on the next update. The only way to fix it was to completely delete the account and start over which always irritated me because you would lose data in the process. I'm listing this under good because I'm assuming that I won't have this issue with Quicken.
- My 12MB file in MS Money went down to 9MB in Quicken.

The bad:

- Man the Quicken interface is a mess. If you're used to the clean and simple MS Money screens it's going to take you a little time to adjust.
- You need to set up all of your online access to accounts again.
- There are other account settings here and there that need to be updated. Usually they are in hard to find spots.
- Reconciled transactions in MS Money for some reason don't always show up as reconciled in Quicken. No big deal - you can do a select all and reconcile them all at one time in an account.
- Some categories were missing for transaction transferred from MS Money.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I wanted to fall in love with Quicken, I really did. Not because I felt particularly strong about this software, but because I spent 13 years using MS money and had over 16,000 transactions in my 38mb file. I had an attachment to MS Money and was more than a bit irked when we found out that MS was pulling the plug because it was not profitable.

So I went into Quicken with an open mind. I chose the premium version because I had some (not a lot) of mutual funds, money markets and 401k equivalents. I never got a warm fuzzy feeling for the website descriptions that Quicken Deluxe would translate them over, so I went with the higher version and paid the extra money. I still am not sure if that was necessary or I needlessly upgraded.

My experience in converting my MS money file was mostly pleasant. The program installed easy enough and the conversion of the money file actually went quite smooth (had read horror stories). But that's where the ease ended. I should also note that I had hundreds of "Scheduled Transaction Not Imported" and "Item Imported But Wrong Currency" error messages. Well over 400 of these total.

My next feeling was that of abandonment. I felt like I was dropped off in a strange city and had to find my own way on the bus. All the tools were there - but there were no easy videos or how to sheets for those of us converting from MS Money. No step-by-step guide to tell me what to do. Most of the functions that I needed right away were there, but there's a whole different feel to Quicken that I'm not digging. I don't think it's very intuitive, but that might just be the new interface.

The 2 biggest things that sucked my ever-loving time when i upgraded were deleting all of the proposed new bills and fixing the transactions marked "Cleared" but not reconciled from MS Money.

The bill problem was terribly annoying. Quicken was picking out payments from 2002 that I had paid once, marked them as reoccurring and said I was 7 years late paying it. There was no way to delete a batch of bills, so I had to click on each bill, then delete, and then confirm the deletion. That sounds fine until you have to go through about 188 of them. That was frustrating and I inadvertently deleted a few of the 12 bills that actually carried over correctly from MS Money. Time consuming - but minor.

The cleared/reconciled transaction problem was a little more painful. I had read that partially cleared statements would pose a problem, but I didn't realize that meant anything in a cleared status. For several accounts I had to delete all the transactions from the last statement and start over. I'm sure there was an easier way, but I didn't see it. This took hours for several accounts and a lot of referencing to my MS money file. This should have been easier, but if I would have known to mark all transactions as unreconciled, that would have been more helpful.

Most of my accounts, after adjusting for those cleared transactions, came across more or less intact. There was a lot of double checking, and I'm still not totally convinced that everything carried over (I can't find any transactions before 2002, but that could be attributable to closed accounts) but for now it seems to work. I did have a problem with my checking balance reflecting a balance of negative $303,800,325. I adjusted, updated, and it always displayed a negative $303,800,325 balance. Eventually I got the right balance by shutting down and restarting Quicken.

Other notes about dealing with Quicken 2010 Premier vs. Money Plus:
-The program felt sluggish the first day. The second day it was better, so maybe it was compiling or something.
-Something got messed up when transferring my foreign currency accounts. They don't show as transfers anymore between one account and the next. Just two separate transactions. I don't know how that's going to affect my reports.
-I can't find very many reports. I have to play around with this.
-I don't like the currency conversion part at all - MS Money was far smoother with a drop down list. Now in Quicken - it gives me a calculator when I switch currencies.
-It took me far too long to figure out how to turn on the cents on the accounts menu.
-No frequent flier miles option with Quicken. I didn't realize how much I would miss that feature.
-I'm pretty sure it resurrected every Payee I've ever used. Not necessarily a bad thing - but that might be time consuming later.
-Registry layout takes a lot of getting used to - and the new layout for categories is awkward. I'm used to typing in the subcategory and having what I'm looking for pop up. Quicken's categories are more time consuming.
-My 401k and its cash account come up separately on the accounts list, while in Money they came up together. So now I'm going to have to stay on top of this more - or delete entirely and start over.
-There's a little flag next to one of my accounts telling me that I have a bill due - I can't seem to make that go away.

And the differences go on...

All and all - I would never have switched voluntarily. This is clearly a functional piece of software, but I've come to expect more from my personal finance software - especially at $80 a copy. Money spoiled me for the little details, the interfaces and even the easy-to-reach videos.

The only other thing that I really don't understand is that using Quicken Online gave me access to credit card companies that are not available to be updated from Quicken Premiere. Why can I get my Capital One and Charles Schwab balances and transactions from the online part and not through the desktop software? That should have been fixable.

After 13 years of using the same software I'm just not sure I'm willing to invest the time in keeping this program as up-to-date as I did with MS Money. I suppose this will work until I find a better solution, but all and all I think my hopes were too high. The program is fully functional, it's just not the same. So at the end of day 2 - I have to give it an "ok" rating.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2009
To begin with ...

I'm neither a Quicken-hater nor a raving fan. I use it because it helps me manage my financial life, and I haven't found anything better ... yet. It mostly works.

This is a review based on first impressions after a recent upgrade; I will update if I have further information to share.

Review begins here ...

As the world knows, Quicken hasn't really improved much over the last 5 years or so -- they just go through with UI changes and minor tweaks. And the changes usually fall equally between "annoying, why did they change that?" and "ok, maybe that's a slight improvement".

I just upgraded from Q2007, and only because of the "current + 2 previous" support policy. (No, I don't have a big problem with this policy.)

The upgrade was painless, and the file conversions worked without problems. (I use two separate files for different purposes.)

I find the UI changes mostly unimportant ... and I'm talking about 3 years worth of changes, folks! I haven't found any significant functional improvements either. They haven't even bothered improving the login process for financial institutions (like my bank) which are using what I'll call multi-step login (user id, password, and personal question selected from a list).

One annoying change is the "Community" logo on the top right -- yeah, I really wanted that one, it'll improve my life dramatically. This could easily have been an icon on the toolbar, so that those who want it keep it, those who don't can remove it.

Ok, so far it's all break-even, assuming that you accept the idea of buying the software more like a subscription than a one-time purchase. The big negative so far is that the app is much slower now: apparently there's a lot more on-the-fly calculation going on now when you switch screens or change data.

Recommendation: If you use Quicken, and want to continue doing so, don't be afraid of this upgrade. Don't rush to it, either.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2010
To start, I have been a Microsoft Money user since 2004, and was saddened to hear that Microsoft has stopped producing/supporting their Money product (which is understandable, but sad nonetheless). I keep track of virtually every cent that comes through our household, and Microsoft Money allowed me to do that. So when I found out that Money will be no more, I decided to make the switch to the only other mass-market desktop financial software, Quicken by Intuit.

Second, for credibility, I am a software engineer. It's what I do, it's who I am. The software I write (for a software company, no less) has to meet certain requirements as far as usability and functionality are concerned. In addition, I maintain my own high standards of software that I develop, and is something that I do not take lightly.

I was a bit skeptical at first making the move to Quicken; their Microsoft Money import program lended more peace of mind, so I purchased it using Amazon's software downloader. Downloading Quicken and installing it was easy, and no problems were encountered. I decided to make the switch from Money to Quicken on January 1, 2010, since it seemed like a nice round number. In short, after using Quicken for a little over a month, I have abandoned Quicken completely and have moved back to Money, taking the time (about an hour) to get my finances over the past month up-to-date in Money. As a software engineer, I find it hard to believe that Intuit would have released seemingly "beta" software as a viable product. It was buggy, it didn't track my finances correctly, if at all, and the user interface was illogical. Some examples:

1. My wife and I own two houses, and thus have two mortgage payments. I like to see the progress of these mortgages being paid off, and in Microsoft Money, the mortgage payments were split up between principal, interest, and escrow. Quicken, apparently, does not keep track of this breakdown: in their bill reminder, the mortgage payment was not assigned to any category. Thus I had to manually split the mortgage payment into its respective "buckets". Of course, I don't know how much of the payment is for principal and how much is for interest, I expect the financial software to tell me that. Microsoft Money 1, Quicken 0.

2. My wife and I work at the same company. I like to keep track of gross income of each paycheck along with its deductions. This was easy in Microsoft Money: my wife and I get paid on the same day, of course, and the two deposits would show up, each with their own separate respective amounts. In Quicken? Nope: two paycheck deposits showed up, but they were both for the same amount! My wife and I do not make the same amount, which means one of those deposits is wrong. It also means that all of the deductions are wrong, meaning I had to go in and manually enter the gross pay and deductions for my wife's paycheck. That is ridiculous. Microsoft Money 2, Quicken 0.

3. Microsoft Money's Lifetime Planner said that my wife and I were set for the rest of lives, even through retirement. Quicken's lifetime planner says that we'll be bankrupt by 2012. I find the latter hard to believe given our current income-to-debt ratio. Microsoft Money wins.

All in all, I was disappointed with Quicken. I looked forward to keeping track of finances in Money; when I dreaded logging into Quicken to do essentially the same thing, I knew something was wrong. I never needed a how-to resource for Money, as it flows logically and expectantly; when I was considering purchasing "Quicken for Dummies", I knew that something was wrong. Reports in Microsoft Money were eye-catching and informative; when I couldn't describe how the same reports look in Quicken because they're blank ALL THE TIME, I knew that something was wrong. Quicken is wrong. I do know how to use computer software -- I write it! Please, Intuit, live up to your name and produce something intuitive, and then we'll talk. But until then, I will continue using Microsoft Money for as long as I can...
on December 27, 2009
I have used MS Money for years and was very unhappy when it was discontinued. I wanted to save my data and decided to use Quicken as it had a converter for Money and recommended by MS as a replacement.

Amazon price was great and the download worked fine.

I was very disappointed when I first imported my accounts. The totals were way off and the accounts were not the right type. I don't think Intuit put much time into the converting software. The interface is nothing like money and very confusing compared to Moneys very clean interface. If you were a Money user I don't think you will like the Quicken interface.

I guess I will learn to use it, but I am not looking forward to the time it will take to straighten out all of my accounts. I would have been better to start from nothing, but I have 10 years of data in Money.

To sum it up, Amazon price and download great! Microsoft and Quicken very dissapointed
on October 16, 2009
One thing I do like about the new 2010 version is that I do not have to enter my answers to my security questions before downloading my banking information each time I update. At least with 2009 that was required before downloading each account with my financial institution.

The software is buggy. For example in the account bar on the left. If you have an account hidden in the bar and click on "other accounts" it opens an empty dialog box. You can click in the box and hope you hit the right one... it will open it's just not visable. Tried to report this to tech support via chat. Waited 20 minutes and just as it was my turn agent disconnected.

If you do choose to purchase it now, be prepared to be a beta tester for about 6 months. Again, because of very few new features and bugs I would at least wait until the bugs are fixed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2010
I have been using Quicken since the DOS days in 1989 and the last version I ran was 2005 Premier or Deluxe. Thought I would take the plunge and try out 2010 Premier. What a joke. The user interface is horrible, and the application is very sluggish on a fast machine. Plenty of memory, and HD space, and hardly any other apps installed. Just did a clean install of my OS and then got all the updates. Then installed Quicken 2010 and I'm back in the stone ages. It doesn't download transactions like it says it will, and the registers are worse. Somewhere in the past 5 years they went backwards or into another world where some users somewhere think this new interface is user friendly. Very complex, buttons everywhere, you have no idea what's going on and it leaves you frustrated. Either go with 2009 version or go with another program. I am sad to say that after 20 years, Intuit you have really let me down.