4.0 out of 5 stars Quicken 2012 - It's Actually an Upgrade (from Q2009)
Published on October 23, 2011 by The Anonymous Reviewer

2.0 out of 5 stars Quicken Users Don't Waste Your Money On This Upgrade
Summary: If you are new to Quicken, it is a very good program and worth using. However, Quicken 2012 has very few changes over 2011 and is an unnecessary upgrade.

Published on October 5, 2011 by Thorstein Veblen

2.0 out of 5 stars Quicken Users Don't Waste Your Money On This Upgrade, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2012 [OLD VERSION] (Software)

I have been using Quicken for at least the past ten years. I have upgraded each year or two and by the 2010 upgrade I was becoming frustrated with the program because it was becoming slower and less user friendly. Then I read that Quicken had purchased "Mint", an online product, and had hired the founder of Mint to upgrade the Quicken product. I purchased Quicken 2011 and was extremely pleased with changes. The format was much easier to use and the program was beginning to be more flexible.

I have used Quicken 2011 extensively over the past year and throughout that time I was anxiously awaiting Quicken 2012. I figured that if 2011 was such a great improvement, that 2012 would be even better. I have been watching Amazon for the release date of 2012 and downloaded it the day it came out.

Well imagine my disappointment when I found that 2012 is just 2011 with a larger font option. Here is a link to the list of new features of 2012 over 2011 from the quicken website. [...] As you can see the improvements are minor. I am very disappointed as I expected much more.

Anyway I am a loyal Quicken user and will continue to be but if I knew what I know now I would not have wasted my money on the upgrade and would have stuck with 2011 for another year.

NOTE: I checked the other 7 glowing "reviews" that have have been written before me and I find them suspect. All seven were written on the same day and each "reviewer" has not submitted any other reviews to Amazon besides Quicken/Quickbooks products. I rely on Amazons reviews for my purchasing decisions (see my previous reviews) and to me these reviews look like more like social marketing than honest user opinions.

2.0 out of 5 stars More of the Same, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2012 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
I skipped 2011 and am upgrading straight from 2010 to 2012.

I (try to) use almost all the features in Quicken, so if you just want something very basic to keep track of your checking account balance, many of these comments may not apply to you.

Many of the same problems still exist:
1. The tax planning center forms still don't "remember" which radio buttons you clicked on when entering projected amounts. When selecting other projection options, the numbers don't always change like they're supposed (but other times they do). Tax planning numbers randomly change or get reset back to earlier values. This issue has been around for me at least since 2010.
2. I get more frequent and severe errors when updating my accounts. This portion of the program was supposed to be faster than ever, but it's at least as slow as before.

Other things I don't like:
1. You have to register just to update your accounts online. It irritates me when companies sneakily sell you a product without telling you that you will essentially be forced to register.
2. I haven't been impressed with Quicken customer support. They have yet to be able to address any issues I've had. Usually I get some variation on "that's a known problem" (many of which have been known about for years!) or "you need to manually rebuild your data file" (which fixed some problems but not most of them).

Things I like:
1. The interface is cleaner and simpler. Many of the unnecessary and duplicated buttons have been removed (I think this happened in the 2011 version). However, it's almost too clean since it takes longer to do some tasks. So some of the changes were good, others not so much.
2. At least it's consistent. No radical changes, so that eases the transition for users. On the other hand, I struggle to understand why I keep having to pay for something that hasn't really changed. I just do it because they cleverly break a few features so that you have to upgrade at least every couple years.

The program isn't horrible if you stick to the core features that work well, but it has so many bugs that I would still consider it beta software. The particularly frustrating aspect of this is that many of the bugs have been around for the multiple versions I've used.

Overall, I only use Quicken because there aren't really any other options out there. If there were, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

2.0 out of 5 stars More bugs, few new features, save your money., October 5, 2011
I have been a Quicken user for 10 plus years. Unlike 2011... 2012 is a disappointment. Just a month or so before a new release my credit union stops being able to download using Quicken with the CC-501 error. I have come to accept this, and usually purchasing the new version corrects this problem immediately. This year it didn't fix the problem, along with the bugs, black screens, hang ups when using the investment account register and trying to delete a downloaded transaction etc. Support acknowlegdes the problem, has no fix and has stopped responding to my inquiries about a resolution. Save your $$$ and stick with 2011. I have already requested a refund from Intuit, so far no response.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quicken Customer Service is the worst in the industry, December 1, 2011
I am posting this here to warn others that if/when you get errors don't expect to get help from their customer service group.

After recieving a serie of 501-CC errors (not allowing me to download info from my bank) here is what their India based customer service reps told me. This is a transcript of our conversation.

Gaurav: Hi, my name is Gaurav. Thank you for contacting Quicken, please allow me a moment to read your question.
Gaurav: Hi Chris, how are you doing today?
Chris Toliver: I am okay.
Chris Toliver: So at the end of the day I am just checking on the status of Incident: 111112-000328. I haven't heard back from you guys in three weeks.
Gaurav: Cris, your case is still pending with Quicken research team.
Chris Toliver: do you have an ETA on a resolution?
Gaurav: There is standard TAT of 15 days.
Chris Toliver: okay. that time is up. so what should i do now?
Gaurav: It may take more or less time. It depends on the criticality of the issue.
Chris Toliver: how long should i wait until i contact you again? a week? a month?
Gaurav: I am unable to predict any time.
Gaurav: Please open Quicken >> Go to Account Action above Balance column >> Select Update now.
Chris Toliver: okay, it just finished updating
Gaurav: Are you able to update your account?
Chris Toliver: all of the accounts updated fine except two of my three chase bank accounts. basically i am getting the same error as in Incident: 111112-000328.
Gaurav: I will request you to wait till the issue is resolved.
Chris Toliver: how long will i have to wait?
Chris Toliver: a week? a month? a year?
Gaurav: You will get the resolution very shortly.
Gaurav: There is no turn around time.
Chris Toliver: so you are telling me that you can't give me a time?
Gaurav: The standard tile to resolve the issue is 15 to 20 days.
Chris Toliver: right. but is has been longer than that, thus my contacting you.
Gaurav: It may take more or less time to resolve the issue.
Chris Toliver: how long should i wait until i ask for a refund?
Chris Toliver:
how long should i wait until i start posting about this on amazon.com?
Chris Toliver:
because right now, the product i purchased isn't working.
Gaurav: The time takes on the criticaliyty of the issue.
Chris Toliver: so basically you can't really answer my question?
Gaurav: I can not provide you the exact time period to resolve the issue.

The lesson here is that they won't help you.
That is all.

Chris Toliver

3.0 out of 5 stars Quicken 2012 Upgrade vs 2011: Don't expect much!, October 16, 2011
Quicken marketing is promoting "new larger font option" as one of the primary new and improved features along with better budgeting and redesigned debt cutting tools. These new features are fitting for the current economy and will appeal to buyers to view their shrinking net worths and help them get out of debt. Genius marketing and product enhancement! ;-)

This review is for upgrading from Quicken 2011 to 2012. In summary don't expect a lot of feature enhancement, and 2012 appears to be a (mostly) stable release. I'm a long time Quicken user who upgrades annually. I use Quicken extensively and my data file is 125Mb with accounts which have thousands of transactions, some dating back to 1993. The upgrade and conversion from Quicken 2011 to 2012 was seamless. All of my connections (mostly Direct Connect) to financial institutions worked as they did before. There are some cosmetic enhancements to the user interface. I noticed some but not significant performance improvements (I use Quicken on Windows 7 32-bit running on a mid-performance dual core laptop with 4GB of RAM). Interfacing to financial institutions and downloading transactions appears to have some stability improvement. There are still some bugs from prior versions which I have learned to work around. Occasionally Quicken crashes or hangs-up; however, I have never lost transaction data in this version or prior versions. I can't comment on the enhancements to budgeting and debt cutting tools as I don't use them.

The software is probably getting long in the tooth and requires significant changes to its core architecture. Quicken was originally designed as a replacement for the checkbook and not managing thousands of investment transactions. For instance a 401(k) account with an asset allocation among several funds and an employer match which makes purchases each pay period results in thousands of downloaded transactions over a few years. In the portfolio view, Quicken is painfully slow when displaying an account with many transactions.

With a shift towards cloud computing and use of tablets/mobile devices (and Intuit's acquisition of mint.com), Intuit is unable to significantly invest in the architectural changes required for the existing desktop version of Quicken. I don't envision significant changes in the future to the desktop version but bug fixes and minor enhancements.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same old Quicken - Buggy out of the gate, about the same function, October 12, 2011
Pete Beck (Bodega Bay, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2012 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
I just installed Quicken 2012 in place of Quicken 2011; once my old file is converted to the new format (again????-can't they ever get the file format to stay the same) it works okay without much new to the casual observer. But as soon as I try a One Step Update to my financial institution (Schwab) the update slows down and takes about ten minutes to complete (a process which had taken twenty seconds about an hour before).
So - a little prettier interface, an One step update advertised as "faster" that takes sixty times longer, and I'm out the money for another update. Of course, I still can look forward to the endless e-mails from Quicken 'support' asking me inane questions instead of reading their own forums where this bug in Quicken 2012 RTM is already being discussed as being worked on. Does no one test software anymore?

4.0 out of 5 stars Quicken 2012 - It's Actually an Upgrade (from Q2009), October 23, 2011
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2012 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
It's an improvement, I highly recommend purchasing this product upgrading from Quicken 2009. From Quicken 1999 to Quicken 2009 I upgraded 5 times. Recently, I've been on the required 3 year upgrade path (upgrade or your software becomes crippled). Until this release, I could have replaced Quicken for each of the Quicken predecessors. There were no significant new functionality and usability improvements.

I am upgrading from Quicken 2009 (a required upgrade) to 2012, and I am pleasantly surprised that the current version is actually an upgrade. This is first true upgrade that I have seen in years. The software is noticeably quicker, and although the interface has changed (along with an associated learning curve) it is similar enough that long-time Quicken users will adapt quickly. As noted in other reviews, the interface is cleaner and improved over Q2009.

I have read other reviews of this product, but have not encountered any additional bugs over Q2009 as reported. My upgrade was trouble-free. Other reviews have indicated no real improvements over Q2011, which may be accurate. However, I believe most Quicken desktop users are like me and only upgrade when required. If you have Quicken 2009, this is a worthwhile (and, of course, required) upgrade. The bonus this time is that this Quicken is actually better.

1.0 out of 5 stars After so many years, syncing still so poorly designed, October 16, 2011
Ed The Man (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2012 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
I recently bought this software (not on Amazon). I had another horrible syncing session on it today.
--Today, I tried to strengthen and update my passwords at a couple of financial institutions. On resyncing with Quicken I provided the new passwords. However, Quicken couldn't complete the synchronization process and came back with errors.
--When Quicken comes back with syncing errors, it gives some minor hints of things to try but basically they say come back the next day and try it again.
--I cannot access some financial institutions from Quicken, even though I was able to access them when I tested out their FinanceWorks program they make available through certain banks.
--When I click on help they pretentiously open up Microsoft Internet Explorer instead of my default browser (FF) without even giving me the option to pick which I prefer.

The intentions of the software are fine. But one of the basic points of the software is the synchronization with our various financial institutions. And here the design is still very poor even after so many years of this product being on the market.
I figured I had to say something in the hopes Intuit someday will listen to the collective voices of its consumers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quicken 2012 Introduces Security Risk, October 14, 2011
For the first time, Quicken 2012 won't download transactions and holdings from your financial institutions unless Third Party cookies are marked "Accept" in Advanced Privacy Settings of Internet Options. Intuit says they did this because "some" financial institutions insist on the use of Third Party cookies.
I have written to Intuit asking this requirement be changed to an option. I know for a fact that none of my financial institutions require Third Party cookies. I also know that opening the door to such is a big security risk. So, I find myself turning this acceptance switch on and off with every usage of Quicken 2012. Big inconvenience.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't register. Array of glitches., October 7, 2011
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2012 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
1. Tried online registration multiple times. Error message: "We were unable to register your product online. Please try again later." Failed 8+ times so far. Sent support email; awaiting solution. "48 hours or less". TBC.
2. Imported my MS Money 2007 file. Seamless. Worked well.
3. Downloaded transactions from my Chase creditcard. Accidentally created duplicate account instead of updating my existing account. My fault.
4. Downloaded transactions from my Schwab checking account. Quicken put them into my Schwab brokerage account instead.
5. Tried to update my M&T Bank checking and money market accounts. Got stopped by Quicken's "password vault" which wants to capture all my account passwords and permanently "protect" them for me with a 4-digit numeric PIN. No. I prefer individual downloads from each bank into my money file, using complex alphanumeric passwords and a few authenticating challenges each time.
6. Quicken seems to think everybody uses Internet Explorer. I don't want to have to abandon Firefox and Chrome in order to make Quicken work.
7. If Quicken support does get back to me in 48 hours or less, I'll upshift this rating as appropriate. For the moment, I'm considering uninstalling the thing, sending it back for a refund, and returning to trusty old (expired) MS Money 2007 which still works well. I want to make this Quicken thing work, though, until Microsoft (HINT, HINT) gives the Money license to somebody who'll re-issue it and liberate us from the tentacles of Quicken. Full disclosure: I don't want to uninstall it for a refund because a) it's a nuisance, and b) my dear mother owns 10 shares of AMZN.

Quicken Premier 2012 [OLD VERSION]
Quicken Premier 2012 [OLD VERSION] by Intuit, Inc. (Windows)
$89.99 $29.99