5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade Worked - Plus Personal Opinion
Published 18 months ago by Mark Greer

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless piece of software
I used Quicken Rental Property Manager version 2.0 on my XP machine. Now that I am running Windows 7, it will not install, so I decided to try this.
Published 19 months ago by Namzzaj

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless piece of software, December 2, 2012
What a ripoff!!! This software is a total waste of money as far as managing properties is concerned. You would do better just setting up an Excel spreadsheet and entering the info yourself. You can't enter hardly any tenant info other than their name and address. The rent center doesn't even keep track of any payment dates without you opening your checking register to find it.

This is just an attempt by Quicken to add a few more bucks to their pockets. The price is about $40.00 more than regular Quicken software.....but the rental portion is only worth 2 cents!!!!

The 2.0 version was great...(ie kept a running balance of what a tenant owed. It allowed you to enter late fees, grant credits,enter notes....etc.)

This program does none of that!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wait before you upgrade..Beta version at best, December 27, 2012
M. Hayes (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quicken Rental Property Manager 2013 [Download] [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
I've been a Quicken for about the last 20 years, upgrading about every other year. I switched to the Rental Property Manager version about two years ago. I must say that this is absolutely the worst Quicken upgrade experience I have had to date (and I've had plenty of bad ones, but none so bad to compel me to post a review). I upgraded to 2013 about two weeks ago and I am still trying to fix all of the problems it has created with my 20 years of transactions. Here are some of the issues: I now have accounts that were long closed now showing balances, there were dozens of trasctions that had been previously reconciled that became unreconciled (Quicken just released a upgrade today for this problem), my current checking account which was reconciled and balanced before the upgrade is now off by over $5,000 in transactions that I have no idea where to start looking back through my paper statements that fortunately I have on-hand.
Also, it seems that this version has less (useful) features than the 2011 version. I liked the fact that on the investment account overview, I could easily see holdings and a summary of performance, dividends, additional investments, and losses/gains by quarter. They have removed this feature in 2013 and have made it very difficult for you to find or report this information.
From my experience, this seems to be typical of Intuit. They take away features one year so they can just add them back in a future year and advertise it as a "new" feature.
If you are new to Quicken and starting from scratch, it may not be as painful for you.
If you are a current user, I would recommend waiting until they work the bugs out with this version (could be several months), or skipping it altogether.
I am left with the feeling that I threw away my money with this upgrade and I am not looking forward to spending several dozen hours fixing these issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy Quicken 2010 User Upgrading for Online Services, January 7, 2013
I purchased this version because my Quicken 2010 software notified me that I would not be able to continue recieveing online updates and downloaded transactions beginning on April 30, 2013. The upgrade process was fine and all my data seemed to convert over to Quicken 2013 correctly. I had been hesitant to upgrade to previous versions because of reading other online reviews and talk that the Cash Flow Forecaster was missing. Given the lack of 2013 reviews, I downloaded and hoped for the best. I was greatly disappointed that still there is no Cash Flow Forecasting feature comparable to the Quicken 2010 product. There is a Projected Balances feature, but this does not allow you to chart a view of aggregated accounts (such as a Bank account and a Credit Card) and does not allow you to account for other budgeted items that are not in your Managed Bills list. I contact customer support with the hope that they would refer me to a feature that could replace what I previously was relying on in Quicken 2010, and was again disappointed that they could not help. Afterwards, I came to the conclusion that I wasted $130 that I could not use, asked for a refund, and reverted back to Quicken 2010. I will be forced to manually update transactions after April just to enjoy features that Quicken has not been able to duplicate since removing them in 2010.

Save yourself the time and effort, stay on Quicken 2010. Intuit WAKE UP and read all the negative reviews about this missing cash flow feature. As a former MS Money user, forced onto Quicken, I am afraid I will have to drop Quicken entirely if this issue is not addressed. How many years of research does it take to duplicate features that previously existed in your own software?

1.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Charges!!!, January 12, 2013
Anyone looking into buying this software should understand that Quicken will discontinue support for the software in 3 years and force you to "upgrade" if you want to continue downloading your account transactions. This is infuriating. While the files banks provide to customers are the exact same format as 3 years ago, Intuit wants to charge you more money for providing absolutely no incremental service. And get this... Intuit also charges the banks an annual fee as well to use their proprietary format. This is extortion and I encourage some startups to enter the market to compete against a fat, lazy, monopolistic Intuit.

I'd also note that the customer support, product documentation and product functionality of Intuit is disappointing. I guess this is yet another example of a monopoly not trying to innovate or improve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade Worked - Plus Personal Opinion, January 6, 2013
I just purchased Quicken Rental Property Manager from Quicken for half price - a 3 day special, a good enough deal to get me to upgrade, although I was forced to buy 2012 a few months ago. It is version 10 (22.1.10.2). From CD, it deleted the old software, installed the latest version, and then converted 80K items in less than a minute. I then installed the Android app, created my cloud ID in Quicken 2013, sync'ed up, and my balances in both Quicken and the mobile app were correct. It was a flawless conversion. My online accounts all updated perfectly the first time. The cloud updated perfectly the first time. I have never had a more seamless Quicken upgrade conversion. Sorry there were so many problems at first for so many of you, but I thank all the pioneers for getting the bugs fixed. Other than the mobile app, there was not a big reason to upgrade, it looks so much like 2012.

Personal opinion. I cannot fathom how the people who run Intuit cannot make plenty of money with such a stellar and premier product without a competitor that they do the following: 1. They make upgrading mandatory by forced obsolescence 2. They cannot get the product de-bugged before mass release 3. They cannot find a way to provide adequate product support 4. They were so slow to the table (ten years) with mobile support 5. They constantly anger so many users by all of the above, and yet we hang in there: can they not learn that there is no better way to a great business than making the customer happy, rather than arrogantly abusing that customer because they know they are the only game in town? Intuit, wise up and learn how to be our partner, not our adversary, and we will upgrade willingly rather than by the threat of our software not working because you break it by intention.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do it for us, January 9, 2013
Stephen (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
We tried it out for the 60 day trial period and it didn't overwhelm us to keep it for $130. We asked for a refund.

We upgraded from Quicken 2008 for our personal finances and finally wanted to try the Rental Property Manager.

We have two relatively simple rentals (three units total) and in the process to add one more rental (four units) but found it will easier to use Excel to keep track of the rental investments.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, December 6, 2012
Lori Ozdowy (Troy, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Used 2012 version without a single problem. Installed 2013 and have constant issues with a corrupt file, software crashing, difficult tech support etc. Wish MS Money was still available to give me another PC based option.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, December 27, 2012
Let me start by saying that I decided not to upgrade to the 2013 version. I suppose some people will ding me for posting a review on a product I don't use. However, my decision is based on a long history of using Quicken, so hear me out.
I've used Quicken Rental Property Manager since the 2009 version when I acquired a few rental properties (and Quicken before that since the mid `90s) and upgraded almost every time a new version came out. No more. I've arrived to the point of no return. As the new versions of the product became marginally different from the previous ones (please note, not BETTER, just DIFFERENT) and level of innovation began to decline, the price of the upgrades began to climb. At $160 MSRP for the 2013 version it's a non-starter and would be better described as a rip-off.
Some "features" appear to be afterthoughts at best and actually look more like hacks. Here is one. Millions of people use management accounts offered by their brokers to keep all their finances in one place. Do you want to assign a tag (a very useful feature introduced several versions ago) to a transaction in that account? You have to TYPE IN the tag after a slash in the category field! Seriously?!
But my biggest disappointment is the rental property management portion of the product. Despite what the name suggests, it appears to be a bolted on part with little or no integration with the rest of the package. As to its functionality, if all tenants paid in full, on time and moved out on the day of the lease end, the program would suffice. Unfortunately, that's not the way the real world operates. Good luck trying to reflect that in the product! Even if you can figure out how to trick the program to show the right numbers, the dates are kept in accordance to what Quicken thinks they should be and not what the landlord would like to reflect.
My conclusion - an Excel spreadsheet is a smarter way of keeping track of the rental properties. At least I know where the numbers come from and what they mean.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy the 2013 version, December 29, 2012
Christian Konopaski (TACOMA, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I generally do not write reviews on anything, but after years of Quicken agony I had to share my thoughts. I have been using Quicken almost since the first version of the software came out many years ago. Almost every year I upgraded, hoping for an improvement in the software. NO MORE!!!!!! Quicken never seems to fix any of the basic functionality issues and continues to pile on extra useless "features". I can not count the times I have contacted Quicken and spent hours on the phone because somehow my data got "corrupted". I have never had such a corrupted piece of software. And the most corrupt thing is touting the great "new" version every year, charging a rip off price for it and getting nothing but more problems. Just one example: I have many old closed and "hidden" accounts. Yet when I drop down a list of accounts for recording a transfer all the "hidden" accounts that I am no longer using keep showing up, so I have to scroll through a whole list of closed accounts to find the correct account. Quicken's answer to this is to delete the accounts. Of course then I lose all of that accounts history if I need it in the future. I have used the rental version since it first came out and it has been a piece of junk since day one, definitely not worth the extra money for the "rental" version. Also this is not a true double entry accounting system so you have to finagle things if you want your books to balance. I wish Quick Books or Peachtree would come out with a rental property version. OR MAYBE QUICKEN COULD ACTUALLY STREAMLINE THE PRODUCT AND GET IT TO COMPLY WITH ALL THE WINDOWS CONVENTIONS AND ACTUALLY MAKE THE PRODUCT WORK RIGHT INSTEAD OF PILING ON MORE USLESS JUNK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as Always, October 31, 2012
I decided to purchase this product because of a negative review of another user so I could see for myself. I have used the Rental Property Manager edition for two years now and have been very pleased with the product. The new edition is not a vast improvement over the 2012 version, but there are a number of nice enhancements to note:

1. Mobile app for Android and Apple IOS devices
2. Email and text alerts for overages on your budget
3. Loan account synchronization

The first one alone sells it for me. I believe you can get the app to work with the less feature-rich versions of the software, but I needed this version since I run a business and manage properties. Many have been waiting for a proper mobile app from an accounting software vendor and it's finally here. No more 3rd party apps.

This is a perfect product for smaller businesses when you want to have your personal accounts, business accounts and rental properties all in one. Everything is a based on a cash accounting system so you don't have to deal with general ledger chart of accounts. The price is reasonable compared to other larger software that is centered primarily around at least five employees and full payroll.

In all, if you don't need these few new features, upgrade next year.

UPDATE 11/1/12: There is one last thing with which I am very pleased. Transactions now save themselves when you leave the record as opposed to confirming every time. This is very nice as the 2012 version required that you click an extra button when saving the record. This became very tedious when updating 100's of records at a time. I noticed other little bugs have also been fixed. This is what 2012 should have been. I am pleased.

Rate and Discover Movies