5.0 out of 5 stars Good
Got a new computer which was not compatable with the old version of quicken. Got the new one.
It was good because it does not have that many changes in it so was able to just pick up.
Published 3 months ago by Hildie Carney

Published 11 months ago by D. Hentze

3.0 out of 5 stars Very basic. OK if you're updating from previous "Starter Edition", October 17, 2013
This review is from: Quicken Starter Edition 2014 [Download] (Software Download)
I just did a clean install of Windows 8.1 and decided to upgrade my Quicken Starter Edition 2011 to the latest version. I purchased and downloaded it directly from the Intuit website since it's currently on sale for $10 off. The installation went fine, and it doesn't have any issues with Windows 8.1. It successfully imported and converted my 2011 backup file. I only use the program to keep track of my online accounts, and download my balances, etc. For this purpose, the "Starter Edition" works fine for me. If you plan on doing any serious banking, you're gonna need at least the Deluxe version or higher. The "Starter Edition" also will not work with older Quicken files other than those saved with similar "Starter Editions".

I see no visual or functionality differences in the 2014 edition of the Quicken Starter Edition from my version that was 3 years old. I see no reason to upgrade unless you really have to. It does work for me though, so I'm fairly satisfied with it. If you do plan on buying a Quicken product, make sure you buy a version that will satisfy your needs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fraudulent advertising--beware, October 12, 2013
To my knowledge quicken does not warn you that if you buy this product after having owned any other quicken product that has more features, that it will mess up your data...intentionally. I bought it, I installed it, then up came a popup that said it would not work and would mess up my data; that I now had to buy a more expensive version. Solution: Say this clearly prior to purchase, not after. Disgusting marketing people at Quicken.

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 10:14:16 AM PDT
Hi Gary,
Thank you for your feedback-I'm sorry you're having trouble with installing Quicken. Our product description on Amazon does detail what Starter Edition will import:

Importing Information
Quicken Windows Starter Edition imports data from prior versions of Starter Edition only
Quicken Windows 2014 imports data from previous versions of Quicken Windows, Microsoft Money 2008 and 2009 (For Deluxe and higher)

1.0 out of 5 stars Installation errors - bad customer support, December 7, 2013
I purchased Quicken Starter Edition 2014 directly from INTUIT's website. I downloaded the software. The installation software froze my computer. I then restarted it. Tried to install the software again and it then gave me an error saying my computer did not meet the minimum requirements for the software (which is impossible given that it is a Dell Core i5 that I bought 4 months ago with Windows 7). I then tried Quicken's support chat service which is available 24/7. It took about 45 minutes for the rep to get on (but the initial wait time said 12 minutes). Then when I finally got a person named "Mayank S." Mayank was EXTREMELY slow at reading my questions and responses and replying to them. Then Mayank would ask me questions that I've already answered. Mayank then copied and pasted the "solution" for this problem from the website. I had already tried the suggestions, and it was impossible to execute because the box they wanted me to click was greyed out and unclickable. Rediculous that a 2014 based software program from private enterprise would work poorly immediately upon download and customer support chat reps are not focusing on one customer at a time.

1.0 out of 5 stars no 2 accounts, November 6, 2013
I bought this program to be able to access 2 separate accounts from the same bank. It mixes them together. Spent considerable time on my own attempting to fix it, and then with a Quicken assistant on the phone. Very frustrated that it STILL does not work.

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 11:03:52 AM PST
Hi C. Thurkins,
I'm sorry you're having trouble with Quicken -if you can, please send more details of this issue to Quicken_CustomerSupport[at]Intuit.com, and I will help in any way I can.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy Quicken 2014!!!!!, December 3, 2013
Gregory D. Rose (Auburn, Maine United States) - See all my reviews
If I could give it ZERO stars I would! I've been a Quicken user for years. Bought this new version, entered a ton of data only to have it crash and then be unable to open it again. Spent HOURS on the phone with their "tech support" only to find there are NUMEROUS issues with this software that causes it to crash AND that they don't yet know how to fix them. This is FRAUD! They are selling a bad product with many known issues and not warning consumers that they very well could be completely screwed over by Quicken just like I WAS. NEVER AGAIN will I buy another Intuit piece of software. I'm done with Turbo Tax too. Who knows how their half passed software developers will screw up my taxes.

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 3:14:01 PM PST
Hi Gregory,
I'm sorry you're having trouble using Quicken. We have just released the R4 patch for Quicken 2014, which resolves some of the issues you describe; you can download the patch and review the release notes here: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/go/GEN85883

1.0 out of 5 stars Quicken 2002 Works a Lot Better, November 11, 2013
adx "adx" (Rome, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I had Quicken 2002 until this weekend. I got the crazy idea to update. Big mistake. The team who
made Quicken 2014 must have also designed the ObamaCare website. Quicken 2014 Starter Edition is so full
of glitches and so slow that I have to try to go back to Quicken 2002. I may have to input a few months of data
since my last backup, but it will be worth it to get Q 2002 back.

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 9:04:37 AM PST
Hi R.J.,
I'm sorry you had trouble updating your Quicken file - Quicken Starter Edition is designed for new users, and doesn't convert files from prior year versions of Quicken--you would need to purchase Quicken Deluxe or higher to convert your file. In addition, because your version of Quicken is from 2002, you will need to upgrade to an intermediary version of Quicken to convert your files--our support team can help you get the correct version and update--just fill out the information here to contact us: http://quicken.intuit.com/go/contactsupport

1.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Work As Advertised, November 5, 2013
I purchased this product almost a month ago. I have had a support ticket open since the day I bought it and is still unresolved! I cannot use the mobile app and it will not connect to my bank for automatic updates. I get "Unexpected Error, Not your fault". I have been told by customer service that they are working on it, but the issue on their help webpage says it has been going on since April of 2013! I would never have bought this if the mobile part was not functional. Horrible customer service, Intuit.

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 11:02:13 AM PST
Hi Nicole,

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing, January 4, 2014
I rate this product 3.5 stars. Some people seem to regard 3 stars as negative. This is not a negative review. I purchased it so that I could enter my transactions in my Kindle Fire as I make them. I carry it with me 'most everywhere so this prevents the sales receipts (and way-too-rare deposit slip) from gettng lost before I record it. It also helps in coping with my tendency to procrastinate.

You have to download the mobile app for your device of course to sync your tablet transactions with the Quicken cloud. If you follow the rules ( which I had to discover for myself) it works reliably. The rules I follow are: 1) Be careful not to enter the same transaction in both the desktop app and your mobile; 2) When you do somerthing in one app, be sure to sync to the cloud before you do something in the other one. Otherwise there is a risk of duplicate transactions. I almost panicked the first time this happened-- "Where did my money go!?" The sync bot in this thing is a real simpleton.

One last comment-- sometimes I need to enter a transaction offline but I can't do that in my mobile. Very inconvenient. Why not just store the info and sync it automatically when the mobile device acquires a connection again?

1.0 out of 5 stars A lousy buggy product since 2002. Go with Moneydance instead., November 25, 2013
Tony Polito "TonyPolito" (Greenville, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Look up the Q2010 and/or Q2008 products, where I posted detailed logs/diaries of the endless bugs, errors and frustrations I endured as a Quicken user.

Here's a permalink to just one of my earlier, quite detailed Amazon reviews of the Quicken product: tinyurl.com/AmazonQuickenReview

I owned Q2008, Q2005 & Q2002 and I used them daily. During that decade, I observed no significant product improvements, just the aforementioned continual increase in software bugs, eternal peddling of affiliated products, etc.

In August, 2010, I finally migrated to the Moneydance product and--after the migration and learning curve issues--I find it swims slick as an eel. I wish I'd done it years sooner.

Since at least 2002, Intuit has been using Quicken as a pure 'cash cow' - a product to milk revenue out of, but making no investment in it - while it continues to toy around with other new product developments toward future revenue streams ... ... Quicken Loans, Quicken Credit Cards, etc.

The history of the Quicken product doesn't suggest a bright future for Quicken users. Don't get suckered into starting up with Quicken. Go with Moneydance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away, November 21, 2013
I upgraded from Quicken 2009. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am. It's not at all User friendly, trying to use the manual entry is a complete joke. Shame on Intuit, you should have talked with long time users. I would no buy it again or recommend this product to anyone.

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 10:40:10 AM PST
Hi Thomas,
Thank you for your feedback-I'm sorry you're having trouble with manual entry - our customer service team can help you - just fill out the information here to contact us: http://quicken.intuit.com/go/contactsupport

Quicken Starter Edition 2014 [Download]