Published 19 months ago by Computerdude1032

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?
I am an Amazon Vine member, and a Quicken User since the mid 1980s. I figured I was well qualified to take a look at the 2013 version and see what new features it added.

I got as far as the install screen. There I was informed that this version of Quicken would:

1. Wipe out my existing version of Quicken installed on my PC; and
2. Not be able to...
Published 20 months ago by Andy in Washington

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?, November 13, 2012

1. Wipe out my existing version of Quicken installed on my PC; and
2. Not be able to read any of my existing datafiles.

In short, total loss of banking services until I dug up the old install disks and reloaded. There was no warning of this on the box or the product page.

You must be kidding. I've long since learned to tolerate Intuit's forced obsolescence policy, whereby data formats "expire" every couple years, but this is a new low. With the possible exception of my address book, my financial database is the most valuable of my personal data, and I don't react kindly to Intuit playing games with my ability to access it.

I removed the CD from my drive, carefully packed it back into the original product box, and dropped the whole thing into the trash.

On the positive side, this version of Quicken was 100% compatible with my office garbage can.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read below before you buy, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Quicken Starter Edition 2013 [Download] [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
If you currently have Quicken and are being forced to upgrade do not buy this edition. It is not compatible with any other version. If you have never used Quicken before this one is ok, but DO NOT BUY It if you have other versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great financial software, highly recommended for anybody without similar software, December 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'll start by saying that I've never used Quicken before. Most the negative reviews of this product are from people who have used previous versions of Quicken, and has issues with the upgrade from the old version. I've never used Quicken, so I can't comment on those types of issues, but I can comment on this version in itself. The software is great. The thing that shocked me the most was the ability of the software to connect to all of my banks, credit card companies, etc, and pull information into one screen. I do business with some fairly small banks, so I'm not sure how they manage to pull this off, but its super nice. While I prefer to charge everything rather than pay cash, sometimes it does make it easy to lose track of how much money you are spending on eating out, or a particular category. Quicken shows you graphs of the categories you are spending your money, which can be a real wake-up call.

This software probably isn't for everybody. If you're pretty good at budgeting your money, then you will probably have a hard time justifying spending $40 on this product. For other people, it will end up saving them way more than $40. While I am probably in the first category, the review is on the software itself, and Intuit has done a great job with the software. The user interface is well designed, and easy to use, and all of the included features are very helpful. Whether or not the product is worth the price is a decision you'll have to make yourself, but rest assured that the software works great if you do decide to buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Starter Edition" is accurate, November 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Because if you already use Quicken, you do NOT want this.

I used Microsoft Money for several years - happily! But it was discontinued, so I had to switch to the (in my opinion, vastly inferior) Quicken. I bought Quicken Deluxe a few years ago (2010?), and have grudgingly tolerated it since then, because it is marginally better than paper. But now Q13 is out, and Quicken is practically forcing me to "upgrade". So I saw this available (free-to-me, through Vine) and got it. The old Deluxe version that I have doesn't handle the "Deluxe" functions very well for me, so I am okay with going to the more basic version.

This version does not import previous data. At all. So it is no good to anyone who has had Quicken (or MS Money). It is, truly, "Starter" Edition. Of course, in the product description, it doesn't clearly say that it will NOT import data; it doesn't say anything about it at all. I assumed that ANY Quicken product would be able to import data from other Quicken products - a faulty assumption on my part, obviously.

So... I'm not going to use it. I now hate Quicken even more than I did before. It promises a whole bunch of "features" (such as printing checks, electronic bill payment) that I do not use. I don't trust Quicken to handle the e-bills. I do them myself directly through my accounts, and I just want Quicken to keep track of the transactions. It does that, painfully. It claims these "features" that don't help me, it doesn't do the things I want it to do well. I wish MS Money had not gone away, and I'm looking for a better alternative.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quicken 2013 Starter and File Restore, January 27, 2013
Quicken 2013 Starter is just that. It is designed for those who are starting from scratch. It cannot restore Quicken files from previous versions of this software. Loading the software is easy and efficient but the update portion of the installation is very slow.

But if you want to restore files from a previously installed version of Quicken, you need to purchase Quicken 2013 Deluxe. Deluxe costs $30 more than the Starter version and contains five features that are not available in the Starter version. These are: [1] shows loan, investment and retirement accounts; [2] creates plan for debt reduction; [3] create savings plan for college or home; [4] shows saving requirements to meet retirement goals; and [5] "easily" imports data from earlier versions of Quicken. The first four are of questionable utility, but number five is very important but with some serious caveats.

The importation of data works fine for versions of Quicken after 2004. But if you have data from a version prior to 2004, you must obtain Quicken 2004 and run it on Windows XP to restore data files. Quicken 2004 will not install over earlier versions and therefore, the user must obtain a Quicken cleaner program from Intuit to remove the earlier version. Once the data is restored to Quicken 2004 and then backed up, the back-up file can be imported into Quicken 2013 Deluxe.

It would be nice if Intuit would put a converter program on their website similar to the cleaner program mentioned above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quicken Starter Edition 2013, October 25, 2012
Donna (Raytown, MO) - See all my reviews
I have used Microsoft Money for many years and needed to finally move to something else since it has been discontinued. I was able to import from Money into Quicken easily and near 100% accurate. The only issue I have found is the due date on some bills are off a couple of days. All of my accounts with transactions, categories and recurring bills were imported. I am even finding it easier to use. Definitely recommending.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quicken's Manufacturer has gotten greedy, February 16, 2013
I have been a power user of Quicken for at least 15 years. In recent years, Intuit, the manufacturer and seller of Quicken, has gotten greedy. They have such a huge share of the market that they have no significant competition--in essence they have a monopoly. And, as monopolies always do, they have become arrogant, finding more and more ways to manipulate users to buying the more-expensive versions of Quicken, and jacking up the prices of all versions of Quicken other than the Starter Edition.

And, to add insult to injury, they've rigged the Starter Edition so that it will not accept files created by higher-priced versions of Quicken such as the Deluxe Edition. What this means is that if a customer has ever moved up to the Deluxe Edition, even just to try it out to see if it serves their needs better than the Starter Edition, they can never move back down the price scale to the Starter Edition.

Another way they're taking advantage of their monopoly position is to manufacture more and more high-priced versions of Quicken, then market them as if they can actually do something that the lower-priced editions cannot. Examples are the promotion of Quicken Home and Business which sells for $109.99 and Quicken Rental Property Manager, which sells for $159.99. I've used Quicken--the Starter and Deluxe editions--for years to track my home, business, and rental properties. It's easy to do using separate Tags for Personal, Business, and Rental accounts, right in the same Quicken File, or, if more separation is desired, in separate Quicken Files within the same edition of Quicken on your computer. You can even track multiple businesses or rental properties by setting up a separate Tag for each business or property.

1.0 out of 5 stars Held hostage by Intuit/Quicken, January 17, 2013
Like others, I really resent being forced to upgrade every few years. What's worse, is being forced to upgrade to a product (STarter) that is not compatible with my Quicken 2010.

A little suggestion for Quicken - of course all this is money driven and that's fine, it's America. But why not just sell an extension key for $30 that will allow me to continue using the version I'M used to and happy with. Plus, requires no development on the companies parts, just gouge me for that fee every three years and while I may not be happy, I'll be a lot happier than finding out what I bought doesn't integrate what I had.

This is pure junk if you already use Quicken, literally worthless. Buy the deluxe version, it will at least read your old files and then you can stumble through the supposed "upgraded" features. I think Intuit fired all their skilled programmers and are using rookies to develop this stuff. Sad really but when you have no competition, you have no incentive to be the best. Bring back MS Money and I bet Quicken would suddenly start improving. The company really should be ashamed of themselves.

1.0 out of 5 stars You cannot return software downloads!!, October 17, 2012
The Amazon software download is the same price as ordering the CD, but you cannot return the Amazon software download and you can return the CD within 30 days. I am never going to buy a software download again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned it, December 23, 2012
Returned this when I discovered it would not even track my mortgage. Sticking with my 2007 version of Microsoft Money.

Rate and Discover Movies