5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful solution to doing it yourself

Published 19 months ago by Azita

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful solution to doing it yourself, October 15, 2012
Christina (California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quicken WillMaker Plus 2013 [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I had previously bought the 2007 version and did all my health planning/will/burial/other forms. I unfortunately lost the disc. Just wanted to get an updated version due to changes that took place in my life. This new 2013 version has all the same forms and more BUT updated. This product is soooo easy to use and saved me a lot of money as I could do it myself . . .no attorney! It has both federal & state forms along with lots of forms for other uses as you go through life. I don't feel it's for complicated wills or trusts (especially if wealthy) but for regular people who may have a home or not and have no troubling family or financial issues. I can tell you that all the paperwork was correct, legal, and suitable for everything when my Mom passed away.
Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Painless Legal Documents, October 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have meant to make a will for a decade. Even started one ... but never finished. This package has not just a Will but various legal documents that you will need that will make life easier on your family. Some of the documents included that can be generated are your Will, Health Care Directive, Health Care Power of Attorney, Living Will, Your Final Arrangements, Documents for Your Executor, Information for Caregivers and Survivors, Personal Finance Documents, Home & Family Documents; and this is not an all inclusive list. If you log onto the companies web site they give you access to a Living Trust. This box set not only came with the software but also a hard copy of the book "The Legal Answer Book for Families."

So now you can quickly and almost painlessly generate your legal documents and save some money. It helped me as the program explains each document and helps you fill out the documents with an onscreen interview process. And if that is not enough you can turn too the book. This product works. I recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nolo Customer Service is Great!, November 16, 2012
I bought this program for one simple reason: To write a revocable living trust.

I messed up on my first attempt at this and unfortunately couldn't go back to the VERY first question, I could change the answers and information in all other portions of the document except the information about wanting to make it an individual or multiperson trust, and if I was married or not.

I was upset because I thought that I blew my only chance to do it right, and sent Nolo an email that simply said:

I messed up on my info, please help, is there anyway you could reset my trust document?

Sure enough, they did just that within a few hours and I recieved an email response from a very helpful customer service rep.
I was able to redo the trust exactly how I wanted it and am very happy with the customer service I received through Nolo.

RECOMMEND!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feature-rich solution, installed on Win 7 64-bit without issue, best version yet, November 14, 2012
Andrea Polk (Pacific Northwest - USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 3:50 Mins

Quicken WillMaker Plus 2013 is the best version of this software to date. Easy to install and use, it's the most comprehensive, inexpsensive, do-it-yourself kit for all documents related to estate planning out there.

The reasons I think it's so great?

1. It has a 100% Satistfaction Money-Back Guarantee! Nothing to lose on this one.
2. Works with Windows XP SP2, Vista, Win 7 AND Windows 8!
3. Freebies include: e-box with registration "Nolo's Encyclopedia of Everyday Law'. Not necessary for anything you'll be doing, but nice.
4. Book included called 'The Legal Answer Book for Families' is an easy to read, simple guide to general legal issues today including same-sex marriage, elder care, name changes and others.
5. For the little bit of money you spend on this software, you save a ton in legal fees that you'd have to pay an attorney to do it for you.
6. Minimual PC requirements mean that almost anyone; even those with older computers, can use this software to make documents.
7. It's easy to quickly create home and family documents like Temporary Guardianship Authorizations, Pet Care Agreements, and Childcare Agreements.
8. You can create a Bill of Sale, Promissory Notes and Limited Power of Attorney for Finances documents. Very handy!
9. You can have several members of your family using it and it will install on multiple computers.
10. Estate planning documents include: Legal Will (specific to your state), Health Care Directive, Durable Finacial Power of Attorney, Revocation Documents, Property Worksheet, Information for Caregivers and Survivors, Final Arrangements, General Notice of Death (for newspaper), Affidavit of Domicile, and Executor's Checklist. **Comprehensive and easy to use with lots of help available if you need it.
11. Installs and asks to update immediately. Mine installed on Windows 7 PC wihtout a hitch, and was up-to-date when installed. Started filling in basic information and was making documents within the hour.
12. The price is right!

The software asks the right questions and provides you with legal documents at the right price! Plus you get a FREE Online Living Trust by signing up for a Nolo account online. (TIP: I would imagine you'll get some emails from them, so you might want to use a web-based email for correspondence to limit your spam from them.)

Overall, great program and I highly recommend it to all!

UPDATE: 11/24/12
Regarding the issue some people are having with Windows 7 installations. I've been able to install this program on 3 PCs running Windows 7 (64-bit) without issue. Some things that may be triggering a problem for some include PC antivirus programs running in the background during installation, amount of PC system memory and 32-bit versus 64-bit Windows 7.

If your PC is running less than 4GB of memory on a Windows 7 PC, it's going to struggle with anything but basic tasks - at least over time when you're asking it to do more with other things running. Consider a PC memory upgrade (usually pretty cheap to do) and you'll notice a considerable pick-up in all areas. This may also be an issue to consider if you're having trouble installing Willmaker or other software.

Also make sure you turn off your antivirus and other security software during installation. Sometimes that can act as a blocker to a clean install. New software can be seen as an attack by an antivirus, antimalware or firewall.

Finally, while both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit are compatible with this software, my own experience is that sometimes if I have a 32-bit OS and not quite enough memory to make the PC happy, I'll be unable to get certain programs to install.

How do I know this? Trial and error. As an intermediate to advanced user who's built a few desktop PCs from scratch, I just know that if I'm the only one having issues with a compatible bit of software and an OS, it's usually something with my PC's hardware or other programs not being happy with the newly introduced one.

Hope this helps you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it promises: Makes it fast and painless to create a will, November 9, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I suppose that I could go through all the options in Quicken WillMaker Plus, but I'd be doing so purely for the purpose of writing an in-depth review. However, my needs are simple. And for me, the bottom line is that those needs were met.

A few years ago, a friend's mother died. Mom had no will. Scott thought that it would be fairly straightforward to deal with her estate, since after all, there were just a few kids and there wasn't all THAT much in the way of assets. But over the course of MONTHS, during which he had to drive to-and-from Mom's city from his own several times, Scott learned just how painful and expensive it could be to die without a will; I heard about it at length. I told myself, "Okay, I'm going to learn from his experience"... and then I didn't do anything about it. It's been a few years, and this has been a Round Tuit I didn't get.

So when I was offered Quicken WillMaker in my Amazon Vine selection, I said Yes. I hoped that it would make it easy for me, the no-legal-genius, to put together a very simple will for my husband and myself. (It's just us and the cats, after all. Nothing fancy.) And I got exactly what I wanted. In fact, for that basic will, it took less than a half hour to put together BOTH our wills. Now all I have to do is print out the documents and get them notarized.

My point here is not depth (which I must leave to someone else) but convenience. The software works like, well, tax software. It asks you questions and you choose or type in the answers. It explains the options when they aren't obvious. And when I was all done with MY will, and said I wanted to do the one for my spouse, with my assent the software automagically flipped things around so that all I had to do was read through my husband's choices to ensure they were what he wanted.

So far, I've only used the option to create a will. Since _that_ was so easy -- enough that I can reassure you that it is No Big Deal if your choices are obvious, like "I leave stuff to my spouse" -- I will soon go through it again to create the documents for Health Care Directives, Health Care Power of Attorney, Living Will, and so on.

Others may be able to tell you about the software's suitability if your options are complex. I can't help there. But I can assure you that if you simply want to ensure that you document your wishes (and don't want your family to go through more legal mess than necessary) this does the trick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly fast and easy, November 15, 2012
Al (Seattle WA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Installation was fast and I was able to complete a will in 20 minutes. You need to identify people who will be executor of your estate, obtain social security numbers, and set up alternates. I have two children from different relationships and was able to include both of them easily in the will.

However, if you want to set up specific conditions such as only use this asset for a college education, and sell this house after my death, the program is not as inutitive. For a basic will though, it does the job. You can make as many wills as your family requires. It is not tied to a single user.

Getting it notarized and in a place where people can find it in case of an untimely demise will be the hardest part of the whole experience. It installed easily on my windows 7, even though another reviewer had problems. Recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, January 12, 2013
I am a do-it-yourself-er. I was trying to save the lawyer fees and set up my own Living Trust. After all, I only have one house that I want to put in a trust for my kids. Unlike Turbo Tax, this product does not offer enough help while you are using it. I am not even sure if it's legally valid. When you set up your trust document, the signature page that needs to be notarized prints out on a different page than the notary document. So, you can sign in front of the notary public, go home, throw out your signature page and print out another one. Nolo's customer service has been un-responsive. For a product this inexpensive, they don't bother taking calls that cost somewhere around $20 for the customer service representative. Amazon does not allow returns. I also, wasted $14 on a Quitclaim form from Nolo's website and it did not download and you only get to click on download 3 times, whether the download is successful or not. Very disappointed in Amazon AND NOLO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, November 28, 2012
Francis Tapon (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 2:11 Mins

I've installed it without a hitch. The software interviews you to help you fill out the will and other legal documents.

I've attached a video of the unboxing.

The installation and use of the software couldn't be easier. One feature I love is that it remembers every name you input. So the next time you begin to type the first couple of letters, it instantly fills everything else out, including other info about them if necessary (their address, phone #, etc.). Big time saver.

The interview process is super clear and easy. No lawyer-speak. There's instant help throughout the process. I'm no lawyer and this was a breeze.

In just over one hour, I did all this:

· Your Will
· Your Health Care Directive.
· Health Care Power of Attorney
· Living Will
· Your Final Arrangements
· Documents for Your Executor
· Information for Caregivers and Survivors
· Personal Finance Documents
· Home & Family Documents

It's helped me do this right before my 3-year trip to Africa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good got better, December 6, 2012
Damian P. Gadal (Santa Barbara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was familiar with Quicken WillMaker and actually used the 2011 version of this software to put together a will. I had been dealing with a lot of legal documents at the time for an elderly family member and decided why not get this out of the way for myself.

Now, as then, there are a slew of other important legal documents, such as health care directives, arrangements for pets, etc. What's been added, and the reason I'm saying good got better, is the section dealing with digital assets. If you're not sure what this is, it's essentially digital media (songs, movies, etc.) which you purchase and store in the cloud. There's a debate raging right now as to who actually owns this media, and that will take time to sort out. In the meantime, your designated heirs will need access to your digital world, for things such as online banking, social media sites, credit card institutions, etc.

If your heirs don't know user names and passwords they'll be locked out of your digital world and that could have unexpected consequences. WillMaker 2013 attempts to address this issue, and I feel very strongly that this is a great thing, and it's extremely important. It might not seem to be such a big thing that people don't know how to access your router or Netflix about, but if you think about it, they should have this information in the event of your death.

More and more of our time is spent online, and more of our financial activities and conducted via the internet. If you died today would your loved ones be able to manager your affairs without going through extreme effort in order to gain access to you digital financial world? It's best to designate, in advance, who has access to your digital world, and how to access it.

Once again, I have to say that Quicken WillMaker is an outstanding product.

P.S. I had no installation issues, or problems with the software of any kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still The Best, November 4, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using WillMaker Plus for several years now, and I try to get the updated copy every few years or so. Laws do change from time to time, so it's a good idea to stay current, but not so much that I feel compelled to get this program annually. Importing previously created wills and updating them to the current year is seamless and easy. Creating a will from square one is also quite simple to do. The program has a great user interface that makes the process very simple and easy, though there's simply no way to make the process any less depressing. But making a will is important, and WillMaker makes it about as easy and affordable as it can get. Unless you have a really complicated estate, don't bother with lawyers -- WillMaker will do the job just fine and for a fraction of the cost. If I'm still around in another few years, I'll be sure to upgrade again. Good luck!

Quicken WillMaker Plus 2013 [Old Version]
Quicken WillMaker Plus 2013 [Old Version] by Nolo.com (Windows 2000 / 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock