5.0 out of 5 stars A fast pleasant read, A good new author.
I read this first book of the series a while ago.
I just finished reading the third book and immediately purchased the fourth as well as two other unrelated kindle books by the same author.
Laurence Dahners is a new part-time writer, one of those who would not exist if not for the new paradigms of the internet, electronic books, and self publishing.
I am...
Published on August 4, 2012 by Michael Lukacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Not terrible, but seriously flawed
Published 9 months ago by Terry Teays

5.0 out of 5 stars A fast pleasant read, A good new author., August 4, 2012
This review is from: Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) (Kindle Edition)
I read this first book of the series a while ago.
I am very glad that he got his chance!

Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story) is not an earth shaking book or series, it is not very long, it is not full of long character development.
What it and the other books of the series are is FUN!
Dahners style is transparent and easy to read and captivating and compelling.
His writing reminds me of two writers from the golden age of science fiction, Andre Norton and E.E. (Doc) Smith.
Like Norton his books are fast and easy to read and capture your interest and empathy for the characters.
Like Smith, these books capture a "sense of wonder" about the revealed universe.
The characters, prose, and action of these books are very suitable for young adult readers, but I am an old retired scientist/engineer of 67 years and I enjoyed them immensely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not terrible, but seriously flawed, November 9, 2013
Terry Teays (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) (Kindle Edition)
This is a science fiction book and it doesn't read too badly, but it suffers from several major flaws. The heroine is almost perfect: faster, better coordinated, smarter, prettier, more knowledgeable, and nicer than everyone else on the planet. She doesn't really encounter any substantial obstacles in her meteoric rise to fame, fortune, and acclaim. The author doesn't realize why the superman saga needed kryptonite. Without some weakness there is no tension about the heroine's success or survival in any given conflict. I am writing this for the first book in the series, since that is where most readers will be starting, but really my views are affected by some of the following volumes. Obviously I had some hope for the series, in that I got some of the later books in the series as well, but ultimately gave up on it. Many of the character relationship developments are unrealistic and the use of disguises so that the goddess can walk among mortals is fairly clunky and not very believable.

Spoiler :

After your heroine has won Olympic gold medals, the Medal of Honor, the Medal of Freedom, and the Nobel Prize in Physics, it becomes a bit much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mary Sue on steroids, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) (Kindle Edition)
Writers use the term "Mary Sue" to describe a character that is just too over the top. The main character in this story goes way beyond a normal Mary Sue. If I listed just some of her accomplishments in this novel you would bust out laughing, but I don't want to give anything away if you decide to read the book. And, I do recommend you read the book. It turns out that it doesn't matter the character is so over the top. It is like reading a comic book about a superhero. Turns out, it's good fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where were the Editors? Apart from that, a good YA novel, October 14, 2013
This review is from: Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) (Kindle Edition)
Dahners thanks no less than three editors for helping 'significantly improve' "Quicker" but either each of them figured the other was doing the proofreading, or his 'convert to Kindle' failed along the way. Because this novel had the highest quota of grammar errors I have read in any Kindle novel and if that matters to you, it WILL drive you mad.

That aside, "Quicker" is a YA novel and quite a good one despite the errors. The plot moves at Twitter speed, and the protagonist/heroine, Ell Donsaii, moves even quicker. The scenarios are beyond far-fetched...but it just does not matter because Ell is such a well-deserving and self-effacing kid that you soak it up and go with it. She has a strong and centred moral compass and despises herself when bad people make her act in a way that is opposite to her nature. Perhaps this should be prescribed reading for those 'Bling Ring' brats?

The dialogue is not particularly naturalistic and certainly my same age daughter and her friends share very little vocabulary style with Ell, but again, who cares? Dahners makes it work for the novel and that's the main thing.

As for Ell's "fast twitch" muscles? Well, it's a good enough sounding plot device that you don't need to dwell on the science (or not) behind it. Certainly, it's not credible when you drill in, but neither is FTL or AIs or teleportation and they're used all over the place in sci-fi with nary a murmur.

I won't be buying the rest in the series because I am not the target audience. But I would be happy for my daughter to read this (assuming I could wean her off Stephen King) and gladly recommend it to YA's and slightly older looking for an introduction to sci-fi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Somehow, it works., December 24, 2012
This review is from: Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) (Kindle Edition)
I've seen this series from time to time in my perpetual search for a good read, and finally decided to give it a try, since the first book was only $0.99.

I've read all the first 6 books in one sitting.

I have to reluctantly give it 5 stars because of the above. The Author managed to keep my interest and succeeded in his mission to make me read and buy the series, mainly because 3 of my favorite themes are in the book: Invention, Discovery, Economic growth

Reluctantly, because had I not been totally hooked by the close integration of these favorite themes, I would not have given this series the time of the day. I found myself bored with the too similar scenes and situations, repeated ad nauseam in every installment. I winced too many times at the repetitive plot, poor characterization, and cringed at the absoluteness of the archetypes. How absolute? Here's a short description of the main character: An unmatched genius with godly beauty, superhuman strength, superhuman speed, angelic disposition, saintly soul, immense wealth, great humility, effacing modesty, hypnotizing sex appeal...

All other things being equal, this was either above average or mediocre, depending if you compare it to the golden age classics, or the more sophisticated modern novels. This reads like a good old classic science fiction book, and would have fitted right in with books from the like of E.E Doc Smith and John W Campbell.

I can only raise my hat, and shake my head in wonder that despite all of these weaknesses, it still remained an interesting read. Somehow, it works. Despite my harsh and honestly felt criticism, I am now on my way to buy Bonesetter from the same author. mainly because of the themes the book seems to contain.

just like I was fascinated by the skylark of space series and the lensman series, despite all their structural unsoundness and blatant pseudo-science, and would go back for more if I could. This has really reinforced for me the importance of themes. People will read what they like to read, if you write it, and if a lot of the themes they like to read is in your book. As long as it is readable, technical weaknesses will not be too much of an impediment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time or money on this garbage, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) (Kindle Edition)
I found this book to be really entertaining! The fact that is is one of the WORST books I have ever read kept me totally mezmerized. I had to keep reading in order to see what new depths the author could plunge to.
The characters were poorly drawn, the action ridiculous and the text badly written.
Even worse, the POV almost universally creepy. Although the jacket says that it is a book featuring a strong heroine to inspire young women, three of the main POVs used were that of a rapist, an abusive stepfather and an 18 year old boy who sexually assaults the main character. (who turns out to be a great guy. WTF?)
You seldom get into the head of the female main character....I found it very disturbing in a way that I don't think the author intended.
I definitely don't want my teenagers reading this book.
In fact, nobody should read this awful stuff....
I seldom take time to write bad reviews, but I strongly felt that people should be warned. Don't be fooled by the five star reviews of this book. It is trash.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs editing, February 20, 2014
This review is from: Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) (Kindle Edition)
This book has an interesting premise. Ell has a genetic mutation that makes her quicker but at the same time costs her endurance. But the editing needs work. There is too much repetition as if the author thinks the reader can't remember her motivations, etc. It also seems like more could be done with the settings--the Air Force Academy and the Olympics. In one spot one of the coaches changes from female to male and back again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mary Sue strikes again!, April 12, 2014
This review is from: Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) (Kindle Edition)
She is smarter than anyone else. She is faster than anyone else..

.. and she isn't named Mary Sue.

Even if the character is better than anyone else and younger, there is something about this writing that seems interesting. As such I bought way too many of the sequels and read them. Still, if you can't stand Mary Sue -characters and want more of challenge and more realistic writing, this book definitely isn't for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Best left for the teen crowd, October 22, 2013
San Antonio Reader (San Antonio, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) (Kindle Edition)
I was intrigued by the book summary which claimed this to be a science fiction book. It is definitely fiction but not a lot of science. The author has made this character too talented and only given her one small flaw. You could relate this to a Superman book without any super villains. There was a main action scene which flew by way too quickly. I thought the Olympics aspect was a big stretch - I would have preferred if the focus had stayed on her time in the Academy. Oh, well. I know that other readers will find this an easy read. I was expecting something else.

4.0 out of 5 stars I recommend them all, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1) (Kindle Edition)
I writing this as a review of the entire series up to the 11th book.

While some of the situations are a little odd, the science and the effects and expansion of the ideas is wonderful. The main character is a little too good to be true, but at the same time genius is often in an odd package.

I recommend them all

Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1)
$0.99