Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Format: DVDChange

TOP 100 REVIEWERon August 29, 2009
Quincy Jones has had one heck of a career! Older jazz fans know him from his years as trumpeter and arranger for Dizzy Gillespie, sixties rock and roll fans know him from all the hits he produced with Lesley Gore and - of course - everyone knows him from his work on the mega-platinum albums of Michael Jackson. He even worked with early hip-hop artists with his "Back On The Block" CD - still one of my favorites.

Jones is highly respected in every pop and jazz genre and has fostered young musicians with his involvement in school music programs and with scholarships.

This beautifully crafted - once-in-a-lifetime concert - was organized by Montreux Jazz Festival founder Claude Nobs - in July 2008 and features, not only well know artists who Jones has worked with over his career - a literal "who's who" including, Al Jarreau, Toots Theilmans, James Moody, Nana Mouskouri, Petula Clark, Chaka Kahn and the incredible Patti Austin - who in my opinion steals the show! It concert must have lated longer, but its edited here down to THREE HOURS! The combinations of performers is unique: Herbie Hancock, with Patti Austin vocalizing on the theme from the film "The Good , The Bad and the Ugly" start it off and later Miss Austin joins Miss Kahn for "Miss Celie's Blues" from the film "The Color Purple". (Oh did I mention that Jones composed lots of film scores, including this one? Michael Jackson was not in attendance at the party so All Jarreau and the a capella group Naturally 7, handle his hits. The camera work is excellent - as it usually is on the Montreux Jazz DVDs from Eagle Vision and there's a nice 48-page booklet of photos and tributes included. (They could have used some of those pages to discuss Q's career, but that's just a minor quibble.

The guy is still producing and making great music at age 76. Imagine what they'll come up for his 80th Birthday party!

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"
11 comment27 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2009
Wow, there's no doubt that someone pulled out all the stops to produce this concert. The lineup of stars, from Petula Clark to Herbie Hancock is incredible. They are backed up by a first-rate rhythm section of seasoned American musicians and a big band comprised of young Swiss(?) players that does a very credible job. The music is wonderful too, with updated but familiar arrangements of Quincy Jones classics.

Unfortunately, the problem with this disc is in the recording. You'd think with this much money invested, and probably $100k of expensive microphones visible onstage, that they could have gotten it right. But they didn't... I listened to the DTS-HD Master soundtrack and was very disappointed, especially with the lead vocals. Maybe it was use of the wireless mics or the venue, but the lead vocals consistently sounded like they were coming from the next room. (muffled tone, more and/or different reverb than the rest of the band, not loud enough) It was bad enough that it very much detracted from my enjoyment of the concert. Too bad.
1212 comments29 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2009
Got this Blu Ray from Amazon today and put it on tonight. The video and DTS Master Audio 5.1 are unreal. It's like your at one of the best jazz concerts ever. I was expecting a good concert but this is blowing me away. If you are a jazz or Quincy Jones fan....get it.
on January 20, 2010
I purchased this without even thinking about seeing it. I am such a big Quincy fan and with all the featured singers and musicians what could be bad about this DVD? Ok, first of all I LOVE me some Patti Austin. She was great, looking good after gastric bypass surgery, sounded great and really singing. Rahsaan Patterson did good on Let the Good Times Roll, Mick Hucknall rocked! Now who in the world decided to give Petula Clark One Mint Julep and Going to Chicago Blues??! Even Nana Mouskouri was not so hot on her songs as well. I was like ??. I was waiting on Ledisi to kill me but she, along with many other singers did NOT know the lyrics!! I'm a big Chaka Khan fan also but she is still reading the lyrics to Miss Celie's Blues?? Wasn't she in The Color Purple Stage Production?? She read the same lyrics on Quincy Jones LIVE in Montreaux 1996 DVD. The background singers were not the greatest either, reading words and looking at each other as if they were unsure. Stuff Like That got junky too, thought it would have been hot since Chaka was there to do those signature things too it. The band ROCKED! I mean Greg Phillinganes, Herbie Hancock, Joe Sample, Lee Ritenour, Nathan East...no complaints there they were solid. Who else rocked? Naturally 7, Patti Austin and James Moody, Freda Payne(forgot her lyrics too but fixed it with scatting and just kinda working it out)and Angelique Kidjo.
This DVD is worth having if youre a fan but it could have been better. Happy Birthday Mr. Quincy Jones you are music royalty!
on February 7, 2012
This is an outstanding DVD with excellent performances
Quincy is the MASTER of MUSIC and arrangments
Great Band and Singers I highly reccomend this
on May 8, 2013
I LOVE Quincy and all that he has contributed to the music industry. This event, for sure, is fitting that he has been honored and celebrated.

My main issue with this is that a few of the singers just don't cut it anymore. I realize that they all have been forces in prior years but, gee, when your voice says enough well.......

I was very excited to get this when it was released and I do enjoy the redeeming quality of the band. The players are fantastic. The people who put the show together could have chosen singers who can really still sing!

Should you desire to watch a show with singers and band that will blow you away, choose to purchase "Hit Man" celebrating David Foster. Amazing!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2011
The amount of talent on this video is astounding. To review just some of the marvelous music that Quincy has written and arranged is mind boggling. I am blown away by the gifts on this DVD, musician and vocally. They are some of the world's best. I am partial to Al Jarreu and James Williams, Chaka Chan, Nathan East, and Toots Thielemans, and Patty Austin. These incredible musicians take you to places in your mind where you see colors (without being high LOL) that can only be given by God himself. This is a great tribute to a man that is a living legend. Thank you Quincy for sharing your talent and exposing so much talent to the world. You have truly made your mark in the sands of time.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2009
First let me say that I love everything that Quincy Jones does!
And I'd like to be the first person to review this disc.
Then I'd like to say there is not a mediocre cut on this disc. Even the one that
you think are after a second listen you hear the artistry in every artist and the band.Listen to Paul Jackson Jr.play the blues on One Mint Juleps (He's crazy). And Naturally 7's Wall Of Sound is undeniable, Herbie Hancock, Al Jarreau, Patti Austin and Chaka Khan on Miss Celie's Blues is good as it gets.
All the artist and band are all pro's that are at the top of their game.
Quincy Jone has always been in his prime and he's not letting up and I defy anyone to say otherwise.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2009
The premise and execution are first rate,I really wanted to give this concert five stars but ......After all it's a concert and the sound mix was definately lacking,poor sound staging,some instruments seeming lost entirely ( DTS HD Master included). For all of the extrodinary talent and musicianship assembled for this once in a lifetime event it left me wanting. The video was shot extremely well and I will watch it,probably just with the LPCM stereo mix
66 comments2 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2011
This was a wonderful celebration of Quincy Jones. I have liked his music for as long as I can remember. My father loved jazz and Quincy was a favorite in our house. This tribute to him was deserving and the many stars and celebrities who performed made this an awesome experience to see. I am glad that I purchased this video. It was worth the money spent. Thanks Amazon for making it available. I really enjoyed this.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse